PDA

View Full Version : The Deus Ex influence cited in newer games

SquidPirate
12th Sep 2009, 14:55
It is testament to how powerful DX is that the game is constantly referenced by gamers and developers alike. Anytime my roving flaming eye looks at discussion of an intriguing new game, there is almost always a comment from someone who will fondly recall DX.

Yesterday, I was reading about the upcoming game Alpha Protocol, an espionage-themed RPG from Obsidian. Personally, I'm excited: I have a soft-spot for spy fiction and the idea of an open world that isn't a medieval fantasy or far-flung sci-fi epic always gets my attention.

Here's the relevant bit from the interview:

Q: Very few games have attempted what you’re going for in Alpha Protocol, but what titles are you drawing inspiration from? Has Deus Ex informed the game’s development at all as one of the first games to blend action and RPG elements?

Abia: There have been a lot of games that we’ve looked at during the development of this game. Deus Ex is definitely something that we looked at as a game that just shows great action RPG gameplay. More recently Mass Effect has kind of laid some great groundwork for al lot of things that we were already thinking about. When that game came out it was nice to see that we were doing some things that were on the right track and we’ve modified some other things. But it kind of confirmed where we were going. I think very early on we were looking at Resident Evil 4. That was a game that we looked at a lot. Half Life 2 is another one. And we are using the Unreal 3 Engine so a lot of Unreal games were things we were looking at on the technical side. Gears of War was a game that we looked at for a while. And very recently I know that our animation team loves Uncharted. It’s just a great, incredible game that we’ve been looking at as a great example of good, third person action gameplay.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2008/09/04/alpha-protocol-round-table-discussion-part-1/

Just an interesting note, the way it created the standard.

Blade_hunter
12th Sep 2009, 17:52
Deus Ex influced a lot of games, yes, like the Hitman series who took the freedom action from Deus Ex,

Far cry, even is the main influence is Half life, the gameplay is closer to Deus Ex / SOF for the action side, we got some piece of action but without to become mindless.
The stealth is used to take a better advantage against our enemies, even if the localized damage is simple (head, the rest of the body).

In Hitman contracts we can play with stealth or with more action, also there is an option to use a first person view that is useful on shooting

In commandos 2, even if the action is less permissive than deus ex in commandos 2 we have the ability to knock or kill our enemies, we can use some action if we want, we have an RPG style inventory, we can manage the resources, etc ...

I will say even some newer RPGs have some Deus ex influence for example Morrowind, even if the influence is mainly the ultima underworld series.

Actually there is a lot of infiltration games who tend to have an action component and allow the stealth.
There is a lot of FPS who have an RPG component and this much before the apparition of Bioshock
There is FPS with weapon upgrades and customization, I mean mount a scope in a weapon that was non scoped fore example even if some things were made before by using power ups or true silencers (SIN for example had silencer upgrade in a certain form)
Stalker and such are games I think that have a Deus Ex influence on them.

I think there is a lot of games with the Deus Ex influence and most of them are pure gems

sakaman
13th Sep 2009, 10:25
Alpha Protocol seems that it will be a fantastic game. From what i read i found amazing 2 points :
1) you can take down your enemies with nonlethal moves
2) your actions influence others characters attitude towards you.
You can read here http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/alphaprotocol/news.html?sid=6216435&mode=previews

Bluey71
13th Sep 2009, 11:30
Alpha Protocol seems that it will be a fantastic game. From what i read i found amazing 2 points :
1) you can take down your enemies with nonlethal moves
2) your actions influence others characters attitude towards you.
You can read here http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/alphaprotocol/news.html?sid=6216435&mode=previews

But its in third person and have you seen the gameplay movies?

Yuk.

Mindmute
13th Sep 2009, 12:38
But its in third person and have you seen the gameplay movies?

Yuk.

Yuk? If the AI gets a bit more work put into it, the game looks like it'll be a very good buy. At least it seems to have some depth and Obsidian know their RPG stuff. I'm looking forward to it.

Sabretooth1
13th Sep 2009, 14:35
^^ Agreed.

I've played KotOR II and am currently playing Neverwinter Nights 2. They don't make the most polished of games, but they do know how to make a solid role-playing game and their stories are probably the best I've seen in video games lately, very introspective. Plus, they've got Chris Avellone from Planescape: Torment. How can that possibly be a con? :D

I'm a little doubtful on how they'll be able to pull of their typically metaphysical, grim style of storytelling in what appears to be a Hollywood-inspired spy thriller, but that's what the big fuss is about any way.

Necros
13th Sep 2009, 17:48
I actually prefer KOTOR 2 to the first one. Yeah, LucasArts made Obsidian rush the game but I like it a bit better anyway.

Arach666
21st Sep 2009, 19:45
Yeah,altough KOTOR2 seems a bit unspectacular compared to the first instalement the story seems more intrisicate and somewhat more adult.KOTOR had probably more "Holywood"moments such as the true indentety of Revan discovered and the ligth side ending,among others,but in my point of view KOTOR2 is a better game overall.

dixieflatline
21st Sep 2009, 22:44
I've read tons and tons of stuff on A.P. I'm personally really looking forward to it.

Two important things about the game: I doubt it's coming out in October (there is still no official release date pegged ,even though it is due Oct. tentatively.) And second, the game is fairly light on the RPG, heavy on the action. You can think of it as a TPS with RPG character development -- but besides dialogue, the RPG elements seem very slight (you go on straight-forward missions; there is no place to explore [no open levels/hubs]; most of the game you'll spend shooting up people...somewhat like splinter Cell )

Sabretooth1
22nd Sep 2009, 02:03
Two important things about the game: I doubt it's coming out in October (there is still no official release date pegged ,even though it is due Oct. tentatively.)
Hmm, I pretty sure I read somewhere that October 26th is the official date. It was originally October 6th, but was changed.

(you go on straight-forward missions; there is no place to explore [no open levels/hubs]; most of the game you'll spend shooting up people...somewhat like splinter Cell )

A thousand apologies for citing Wikipedia, but it says that a hub structure will be used and from what I've seen of the game, I'm sure that's true. I'm not sure what straight-forward missions are. >_> I did find this interview though (http://pc.ign.com/articles/925/925916p1.html), should show how RPG-ish the game is.

Also, Splinter Cell was not about shooting. :D

Romeo
23rd Sep 2009, 20:46
The new one seems to be heading that direction, sadly. The first Splinter Cell, shooting was a last resort kind of thing, but now you can wield assault rifles and mounted machine guns.

Sneak sneak sneak... RATTATATATATATATATATATATATA... Sneak sneak sneak.

Just doesn't seem right, you know? lol

SageSavage
23rd Sep 2009, 21:00
Sneak sneak sneak http://www.ozoux.com/eclectic/archive/2006/06/13/images/batman.jpg sneak sneak sneak.

Pyronox
28th Sep 2009, 01:54
Assassin's Creed's conspiracy theories? You have to listen closely to understand it in the first one, but in the second game (coming out in november btw) there's gonna be much more detail. Trust me, I did the playtesting. (Also, to naysayers, even if you hated the first one the second is going to be wtfamazing)

SquidPirate
28th Sep 2009, 21:51
Assassin's Creed's conspiracy theories? You have to listen closely to understand it in the first one, but in the second game (coming out in november btw) there's gonna be much more detail. Trust me, I did the playtesting. (Also, to naysayers, even if you hated the first one the second is going to be wtfamazing)

I'm intrigued. Can you share any details?

I didn't hate the first one -- the concept and setting were dynamite. I just found it terribly repetitive, and I didn't care for the lead character. Certainly the Italian renaissance is a promising location for the sequel...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Sep 2009, 22:38
^ I agree, I found AC repetitive also. Other than that, it is a breathtaking game. Looking forward to AC2. :thumb: