PDA

View Full Version : Gamepad/controller issues

Insane2757
10th Sep 2009, 03:16
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a XBox 360 Wired Controller from Gamestop (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=43229) for use with this game on the PC. It seems to work with other games which require a X360 Controller, such as "The Maw", but Mini Ninjas does seem to respond to my controller.

I think a holdup might be the fact that it is a third-party controller; PDP, to be precise. It said "Licensed for Xbox 360" on the back of the package and the Gamestop guys said, in their infinite wisdom, it was compatible with the PC. Iwould understand if this piece of junk didn't work with any PC game which uses the Xbox360 pad, but even the PC drivers from Microsoft (obtained here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming ) recognize the product when I click the big Xbox logo in the middle of my pad.

In the full version of Mini Ninjas I bought from Steam, the option to "Use Gamepad" is grayed out and it is completely unresponsive to the gamepad's input. Any help guys?

(And yes, I kept the receipt. If I need to return it, I will; I'd like to play Mini Ninjas right now though!)

rhagz
10th Sep 2009, 15:04
I'm having the same issue. I have a licensed XBOX 360 controller made by a different company. The game will not recognize it even though I have played dozens of games that do. This is seriously not acceptable. I refuse to buy another controller when I have one that works great for everything but one single game. Going to return the game for a refund today. A shame too. Looks like it could have been fun.

rhagz
10th Sep 2009, 15:20
Well, against my better judgement I decided to delve into my registry. Changing a value to force windows to report my controller as the official MS version works. I don't like it, but in the end I think it's for the better. For all intents and purposes my controller IS a 360 controller and it's officially licensed by Microsoft as such. I don't like resorting to that, but for anyone else having this problem you may look into doing the same. And if it prevents any future compatibility issues then I guess it's worth it.

nicomachedonu
10th Sep 2009, 16:25
same problem here...please try to explain what you did step by step for people how aren't that good with computers..thx

rhagz
10th Sep 2009, 17:11
I don't want to be held responsible for people editting their registry and messing it up. :(

Insane2757
11th Sep 2009, 00:49
Well, against my better judgement I decided to delve into my registry. Changing a value to force windows to report my controller as the official MS version works. I don't like it, but in the end I think it's for the better. For all intents and purposes my controller IS a 360 controller and it's officially licensed by Microsoft as such. I don't like resorting to that, but for anyone else having this problem you may look into doing the same. And if it prevents any future compatibility issues then I guess it's worth it.

After reading this post, I decided to take a loo (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xbox+360+controller+regedit)k. And modifying a string value in the registry completely worked. I'm mystified as to why a simple string value can hold back an entire peripheral. Perhaps the game's code doesn't look for much when deciding if a controller is compatible; maybe it only checks for the name?

Anyways, I agree with rhagz in saying I don't want to post instructions on hacking the registry, as, if you don't know what you're doing, it can very well mean you're messing up your controller, or worse, your computer!

I have a lot of experience working with Windows tools at my job and my home, but some of you out there don't. So please, PLEASE, don't edit your registry if you're not 100% sure what you're doing. I have an e-mail stating Eidos is looking into the issue and they will fix this issue in due time with a patch. That's the safest route to take!

b0uncyfr0
11th Sep 2009, 05:08
My Logitech Rumblepad 2 doesnt work by default which really ticks me off. You expect us to go out and buy a $60 controller just so i can play this. I DONT THINK SO.

Is it really that hard to include support for a rumblepad, theyve been around for how long now?

And to make it worse, the xbox 360 controller emulation doesnt work either. So im afraid i wont be buying your game until it is fixed.

Thnx for your time..

Falkenwut
11th Sep 2009, 07:01
There is a way to attach a generic 12 button, 2 stick, 1 pad gamepad to this game, but it requires a little modifying in the Window's System Files and registry. I cannot post the explanation here becasue I am UNCERTAIN reguarding Copyright ingrigmentation, Unless I get permission from the admins to post the solution here on this forum.

blablabla
11th Sep 2009, 14:28
My Logitech Rumblepad 2 doesnt work by default which really ticks me off. You expect us to go out and buy a $60 controller just so i can play this. I DONT THINK SO.

Is it really that hard to include support for a rumblepad, theyve been around for how long now?

And to make it worse, the xbox 360 controller emulation doesnt work either. So im afraid i wont be buying your game until it is fixed.

Thnx for your time..

I have the same problem!!! Logitech Rumblepad 2 doesn't work!!!!!

JimProfit
11th Sep 2009, 15:25
Third party 360 controllers aren't '360 controllers'. You'll just have to use xpadder/joytokey or any such program available as free downloads on the internet and map keyboard functions to the controller.

jazon6
11th Sep 2009, 17:09
Hi,
Can I use a "non" xbox 360 controller with mini ninjas?

I have 3 usb gamepads (saitek and others) will any of them work with this game?

The game is for my son who is 7 years old and Im not prepared to buy an xbox 360 controller just for this one game to work.

If you cant use an alternative to the xbox one then I think thats a big mistake by eidos and will limits its sales.(and lots of people will be very disapointed)

Cheers in advance for any replies

Jason

dark_angel_7
11th Sep 2009, 17:41
Xbox 360 controller for Windows should work fine for this game. However for other controllers it's best to try them out first and if they don't work there are the following programs which could help them to work with the game:

xpadder
joytokey

Try googling them up and fiddling around a bit. Though use them at your own risk. ;) If you still have problems try contacting Eidos or IO Interactive for further support:

Eidos Support:

http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/support/worldmap.html

IO Interactive Support:

ioi@ioi.dk

Lord HaxXxoR
11th Sep 2009, 17:52
Your 360 Controller is not recognized?

I found a solution and I'm a bit confused to let such bugs happen...

YOUR CONTROLLER HAS THE WRONG NAME!!!

Original XBox Controller is named "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)"
e.g. my Logitech Chillstream is named "XUSB Gamepad (Controller)"
And that's the reason why my controller won't work...

Solution:
1. Go to Control Panel => Game devices
2. Look for the correct name of your controller e.g. "XUSB Gamepad (Controller)"
3. Run Regedit (Windows-Key + R => regedit.exe)
4. Search for your controller name e.g. "XUSB Gamepad (Controller)" and replace with "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)"
5. Search & Replace again (3-4 times)

Thats it!

Now your controller is recognized by the game... :lol::lol::lol:

Edit:
The same bug happend with the game "Kane and Lynch: Dead Men" in 2007 by Eidos and the solution can be found in this forum, too:lol:

Lord HaxXxoR
11th Sep 2009, 17:58
Solution is here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95565

Lord HaxXxoR
11th Sep 2009, 17:59
Solution is here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95565

jazon6
11th Sep 2009, 18:33
Hi,
Any idea where in the registry the controllers are listed?

(sorry but I am not a pc expert)

Cheers,

jason

jazon6
11th Sep 2009, 18:35
Thx for replies.

Does anyone know where in the registry the controllers are listed?

Lord HaxXxoR
11th Sep 2009, 18:42
In the Registry:
Scroll to top and click first entry (to get sure to search from the beginning)

STRG+F = Start the Search
F3 = Search the next entry

JimProfit
11th Sep 2009, 18:46
The same bug happend with the game "Kane and Lynch: Dead Men" in 2007 by Eidos and the solution can be found in this forum, too:lol:
Oh man. A pattern is forming.

IO.. shape up! Jeez. These are technical trivialities. I can't believe what I'm seeing.

jazon6
11th Sep 2009, 19:00
In the Registry:
Scroll to top and click first entry (to get sure to search from the beginning)

STRG+F = Start the Search
F3 = Search the next entry

U lost me with the strg+f thing , press them together? in order?

Lord HaxXxoR
11th Sep 2009, 19:14
U lost me with the strg+f thing , press them together? in order?

Yes, Press STRG and F together (strg first, f, release f, release strg) or click "Edit" and then "Search" to open the search form

jazon6
11th Sep 2009, 19:29
Yes, Press STRG and F together (strg first, f, release f, release strg) or click "Edit" and then "Search" to open the search form

Well ive been trying strg+f and no luck, nothing happens.

And theres no search listed when I choose edit.

Im using xp home.

I think Im gonna give this game a miss, I shouldnt have to mess around like this to get a keypad to work on a modern game.

Thx for help anyway but my kid will have to stick with lego batman :(

Hangshai
11th Sep 2009, 20:03
RAD!! Awesome, totally worked.. just had to keep pushing F3 to find next, did it roughly 5-10 times total, and now my controller works!! BIG UPS!!! Now, lets see, if this problem was present on a previous Eidos game, WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY FIX IT YET!?! Man,k with all these companies releasing games unfinished, buggy, not recognizing peripherals, etc., no wonder people would rather pirate a game than pay 30-50 bucks for an unfinished barely working product...

Falkenwut
11th Sep 2009, 22:42
I've been posting regarding this solution partially. This won't work with regular gamepads. There's a DLL system which does the trick. Again, need Admin permissions. (unless this is also visible in K & L forums)

b0uncyfr0
12th Sep 2009, 01:08
This did not work for my rumblepad 2. I replaced all the names but nothing changed. It found the rumblepad 2 name about 3 times in the registry.

And yes i did start the search from the top.

So it does work if you follow the registry guide and copy the xbox emulation dll's into the game directory. Works for my Rumblepad2.

So much trouble for gamepad support.

hengyu
13th Sep 2009, 06:20
As the title suggests.... The controller part of the settings are is greyed out.

I've seen the solution to get the 360 gamepads working, but apparently mine is a 360 gamepad so...

b0uncyfr0
13th Sep 2009, 08:25
I have a logitech Rumblepad2 and i got to work after i replaced all names of my controller in registry with "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)" AND copying the xbox 360 emulation dll's into the games exe directory.

The registry alone is not enough to make it work it seems. You have to use the dll's as well. Hope it helps.

hengyu
13th Sep 2009, 10:14
I have a logitech Rumblepad2 and i got to work after i replaced all names of my controller in registry with "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)" AND copying the xbox 360 emulation dll's into the games exe directory.

The registry alone is not enough to make it work it seems. You have to use the dll's as well. Hope it helps.

Does this mean that I'll have to make my system assume that I'm using an XBOX360 controller? Will this affect anything in the future?

tulkest
15th Sep 2009, 17:06
1. Find out the name of your gamepad in the control panel (Game Controllers), for me it was "Logitech RumblePad 2 USB".
2. Open Regedit, hit CTRL-F and type the name of your gamepad. It should find something like :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_046D&PID_C218
OEMName REG_SZ Logitech RumblePad 2 USB

3. Select Modify and enter "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" (without the ").

4. Download and Install the files :

http://rapidshare.com/files/249164419/xinputemu3.0.zip

Program Files\Eidos\Mini Ninjas

xbox360cemu.ini
xinput1_3.dll
xinput9_1_0.dll
XInputTest.exe

5. The game should work now.

Falkenwut
15th Sep 2009, 17:20
4. Download and Install the files :

http://rapidshare.com/files/249164419/xinputemu3.0.zip

Program Files\Eidos\Mini Ninjas

xbox360cemu.ini
xinput1_3.dll
xinput9_1_0.dll
XInputTest.exe

Those files are to be put in C:\windows\system32. (make sure you backup first)

reeven
16th Sep 2009, 16:10
Or use Xpadder or Pinnacle Game profiler.

Falkenwut
16th Sep 2009, 17:24
Or use Xpadder or Pinnacle Game profiler.

These programs will only bind keyboard functions with the keys. This is EXACTLY like Joy2key.

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm.
Note: Unlike Xpadder and Pinnacle, the joy2key program is free :lmao:

RazR
17th Sep 2009, 06:32
I figured it out:

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=pcgaming&message.id=2317#M2317

RazR
17th Sep 2009, 06:35
If anyone wants to use Logitech gamepads here is your simple solution:

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=pcgaming&message.id=2317#M2317

Enjoy!

RazR
17th Sep 2009, 06:41

Enjoy.

Shintek
26th Sep 2009, 10:36
I got the same problem, but with another controller:
Saitek PS1000 Dual Analag
Can't register with the same. Is there also a solution for this kinda controller?

Already tried the regfix and the download, either I messed sth up or it just didn't worked.

thanks

doman18
7th May 2010, 19:36
Well i see quite a mess here and few misunderstandings. Let's summary all.

Remember, Im not responsible for all damage caused by using hints mentioned below

Controllers licensed by M$
They are compatible with Xinput library so all you have to do is Registry trick.

1. Go to Control Panel => Game devices
2. Look for the correct name of your controller e.g. "XUSB Gamepad (Controller)"
3. Run Regedit (Windows-Key + R => regedit.exe)
4. Search for your controller name e.g. "XUSB Gamepad (Controller)" and replace with "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)".
5. Search & Replace again (3-4 times)

Controllers NOT licensed by M$
You have to use Xbox 360 gamepad emulator. The newest version (mainly for Vista or 7) is HERE (http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=44). For some of you configuration may seem complicated but I assure you, when you do it with readme and commentaries for functions it's not hard as it seem. Learnig to use this emulator is essential for those who has gamepads not licensed by M$.. It useful for all games signed as "games for windows" >LIST< (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XInput_games).
All you have to do is"
1.Download it and unpack to any directory you want.
2. Run XinputTest.exe and see how your gamepad works with it. If some features are not working well (misassigned axis, buttons assigned to wrong keys) then you have to edit xbox360ce.ini and make some corrections. Read carefully all comments near functions and its not hard as it seem! Its good idea to ask some friend that is more experienced with computers if you dont feel to make those corrections.
ATTENTION. If your controller has two modes - analog and digital, switch to analog mode. Usually it means that you have to press buttton called ANALOG or MODE.
3. If all working good (when you run XinputTest.exe all is recognised properly) you have to copy

xbox360ce.ini
xinput1_3.dll
dinput8.dll
to c;\windows\system32. Make sure you did it with administartor priviliges. Also its very good idea to make backup of original xinput1_3.dll and dinput8.dll files in this directory first.
In most cases you have to copy those files to game directory but in my case for MiniNinjas it didnt worked.
4. Run game. If you hear some sound when before menu then its good because it means all is working well. If you didnt hear anything, there is still a chance so just load last checkpoint

I hope this will help someone and sorry for my english - im from Poland.

ogboot
21st Sep 2010, 23:41
i'm hitting a brick wall with my MadCatz 360 controller. It's lit up, installed with the microsoft driver and licensed. Works great with games like Street Fighter IV but this game refuses to acknowledge it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kioto
24th Dec 2011, 19:20
Gamepad For Minininjas
Hi everyone!
Also had troubles with the gamepad, followed advices given at the forum, changed pad`s registry name, used emulators and joy2key.
Wanna say: joy2key I really dislike, my ninja gets stupid with it, button reaction is slow.
Only registry editing does nothing. But the emul with editing succeeds. But with the emuls I had the buttons config. was uncomfortable.
Kept searching and found this emulator: x360ce, works perfectly and allows to change buttons config just as you like.
Using procedure is the same that for all emuls: copy the files to game directory and change pad`s name in the registry. Works great, but no vibro in the game, though it works when testing the pad, maybe some my mistakes.
Here`s producer`s link:
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list
and here is the same with my description of the applying procedure:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2964217316/x360ce.App-2.0.2.102-x86.rar

diablo3yy
16th Jul 2012, 08:49
Lots of the movements the following sound right, and also Blizzard will be producing industry in a way which it will simply minimally influence the particular game's planet. Properly, it will simply minimally influence the particular game's planet, yet we have been must hold out before the people go down after Diablo 3 to learn how a local community can reply.