PDA

View Full Version : Why do they always go DARK!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Steven_1379
11th Sep 2009, 14:36
WHY DO THEY AWAYS GO DARK... haven't we learned it didn't work out last time and we had to go trough 4 years of intense surgery????
now they are going coco for monster island, what are they giving the action/adventure title to UDF and U2AT and going for the horror/adventure?? why oh why???
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
anyways...why?
ok but seriously
get a story like legends but longer and epically dramatic(not over dramatic a little like underworld)
and keep the TRU system but reasonable tomb layout*

* we went trough the tomb sometime trough ways that didnt make sense unlike legend and anniversay where the way was because of a reason(reasonably located decoration poles, mechanism chains and stuff) but in TRU there wehre rocks in the way as if they fell from the cealling but the cealling was intact, and grapple ring located just for us to go by not as if years ago they used it as decoration, like in the other game ya know...

tombraidergal
11th Sep 2009, 15:13
I think I get you... I think the rings shouldn't be there, just cool stuff like in legend that shines but with anniversary grappling hook. Who cares if it isn't realistic? Yeah, legend is my fave but they could have kept the jungle level. :) it should be a downloadable content level. That'd be great! For all versions.

jayjay119
11th Sep 2009, 17:33
I think I get you... I think the rings shouldn't be there, just cool stuff like in legend that shines but with anniversary grappling hook. Who cares if it isn't realistic?

I do, I swear story aside TRL was one of the most mediocre gaming experiences i have ever had, TR deserves better than that.

To answer the original question, they go dark because it does work, they wouldn't do it if it didn't. The original TR's were all dark to some extent and with the next game rumoured to be mature and slightly dark it might finally lead to the great TR sequel uninhibited by bounderies that make the series seem kiddish, the series has needed for so long.

Andy64
11th Sep 2009, 19:49
I think TRU went for a 'dark' vibe but it kind of backed out of it and didn't have the depth of story to capture it. Made the game kind of boring. The emotional stuff kind of clouded the whole vibe too. AOD captured the dark vibe perfectly but the games other big problems spoiled it.

Dark is a great idea as long as it has excitement too. I think the way that TR2 did dark especially with enemies like the Yeti's is the way to go. Very scary atmospheric areas with enemies that pounce at you and make you jump. The sort of place where you are always feeling uneasy. I havn't really felt that with any bit of the CD games so far. I think that would be the best way to do dark on the island.

josh1122
11th Sep 2009, 22:29
. The sort of place where you are always feeling uneasy. I havn't really felt that with any bit of the CD games so far. .

Oddly enough, I haven't felt that way or anything even remotely close in ANY of the TR games, 1 all the way to 8. I'm still waiting :lol:

All games to me have been enjoyable, but nothing to make me jump or feel un-easy. Not even close

Error96_
12th Sep 2009, 00:26
All games to me have been enjoyable, but nothing to make me jump or feel un-easy. Not even close

TR2, TR3 and the dark isle in chronicles made me feel most uneasy in some areas. Actual darkness was used incredibly in the original Lost vally and some TR2 levels.

AOD did a dark story very well. Dark can sometimes be too much of a buzz word. This time I think CD could really get it. Some more shocking big enemies to really scare you would be good. I love it when you can hear enemies, see mysterious empty area's and know something big is coming. When it does it's brilliant and scary. In CD's games the enemies have obvious positions and attacks not as much iminent danger.

josh1122
12th Sep 2009, 04:45
TR2, TR3 and the dark isle in chronicles made me feel most uneasy in some areas. Actual darkness was used incredibly in the original Lost vally and some TR2 levels.

AOD did a dark story very well. Dark can sometimes be too much of a buzz word. This time I think CD could really get it. Some more shocking big enemies to really scare you would be good. I love it when you can hear enemies, see mysterious empty area's and know something big is coming. When it does it's brilliant and scary. In CD's games the enemies have obvious positions and attacks not as much iminent danger.

It's always been 100% impossible for a developer to suprise me, even when I was younger. Every game is pretty much predictable as to whats going to happen in terms of enemies and spawn points.

Thats why when a horror genre game comes out, its most of the time laughable because its not anywhere near scary(Resident Evil,Silent Hill,Fatal Frame,DOOM,Dead Space, etc)

Natla
12th Sep 2009, 07:20
That gives me an idea for a game - must get the techs onto it.

Ehem.

"ZOMBIE BARBIE"

"She'll eat your face off."

Pulse
12th Sep 2009, 08:41
being dark didn't ruin AOD. The lack of 'Tomb Raider' and the amount of bugs ruined AOD. When things are dark they have are more idk, intense, i guess. When stories get dark they make me want to see how bad things get or if they'll ever go good.

_Love2Raid_
12th Sep 2009, 11:48
Are you afraid....of the DARK? http://www.ben-newman.de/smilie/evil/evil9.jpg

oraclebop
12th Sep 2009, 12:35
Dark Story or Dark Lighting?

:nut:

tombraidergal
12th Sep 2009, 13:16
Hey you know what kills the franchise... Tomb raider seems to be aimed at teenagers, and all the gamers who were teenagers when the first game came out, are still playing it when they're adults and they want adult games when the whole thing is aimed at teenagers. Maybe that's why they get bad reviews about not being scary etc. Because they're classic tomb raider lovers, it's new now and the whole franchise has ben revamped. So... It's aimed at young peeps. Sorry to burst anyones bubble... (no offence)

jayjay119
12th Sep 2009, 18:30
Hey you know what kills the franchise... Tomb raider seems to be aimed at teenagers, and all the gamers who were teenagers when the first game came out, are still playing it when they're adults and they want adult games when the whole thing is aimed at teenagers. Maybe that's why they get bad reviews about not being scary etc. Because they're classic tomb raider lovers, it's new now and the whole franchise has ben revamped. So... It's aimed at young peeps. Sorry to burst anyones bubble... (no offence)

Sorry to burst your bubble but rumors of TR9/ TRO being M-Rated? something the series as a whole needs in my opinion, not just as a fan just as a gamer!

Ants_27_
12th Sep 2009, 20:58
Hey you know what kills the franchise... Tomb raider seems to be aimed at teenagers, and all the gamers who were teenagers when the first game came out, are still playing it when they're adults and they want adult games when the whole thing is aimed at teenagers.

Isn't this the sort of reason David Cage gave on an interview for Heavy Rain? I know it's not Tomb Raider but he had a point. He said that he wanted to create games that were aimed for a more mature audience than teenagers and children, because they are the games he enjoys and also games that aren't afraid to experiment regardless of how they are received amongst gamers. Well something like that anyway.

Anyway, I hope that Tomb Raider does become more mature a long with more games. I mean I'm sick of COD games and general shooters because I love games with characters that you actually care for and the only game series I've been able to do that with is MGS.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
13th Sep 2009, 00:26
I think that TR has gone for a progressively younger audience. The first TR's were a 16+ in my region where as the recent games are only 12+. No spike deaths, no blood and more cut to black is aiming the games younger. I do think the target audience aim should go a bit older again. Most good games with shooting and violence in are aimed older than TR.

I would like to see the next TR go dark. I don't mean mild dark like TRU more creepy like Golden mask or TR3. I think it's really good for TR to go a bit more scary. M rated and dark sounds great in that sense.

JustMe
13th Sep 2009, 00:35
I agree with Gemma *omfg random mode* dark suspicious noises make teh gaem I say!!!!! :nut:

Randy 54
13th Sep 2009, 00:46
Oddly enough, I haven't felt that way or anything even remotely close in ANY of the TR games, 1 all the way to 8. I'm still waiting :lol:

C'mon Josh, you mean to tell me that the surprise rolling boulders that popped up from behind, didn't put you on the edge of your seat?

josh1122
13th Sep 2009, 03:16
C'mon Josh, you mean to tell me that the surprise rolling boulders that popped up from behind, didn't put you on the edge of your seat?

No,wish they did because i actually want to be surprised and put on the edge of my seat, not just in TR in general but any game at all and its hard for it to happen to me because most games ive played and ever played(that try to scare/surprise you) are predictable from my own persepctive.

Pulse
13th Sep 2009, 04:24
TR9 should have:

Horror
Jump Out of nowhere moments
Intense Action
Exploration
massive Puzzles
Collossal Bosses
Interactive Cutscenes
Lara talk more >:( there was nothing in Underworld outside of cutscenes and Lara's character wasn't showing
Dark Areas
New Combat System
Huge Environments
Long, complex plot. It is owned by Square Enix afterall

so basically, it should be darker/bloodier/more intense/action-ier/character-ier/scarier :D

JustMe
13th Sep 2009, 04:54
I totally agree with Natla Unleashed :D
...but uh...the Lara talking MOAR thing...I don't know, I wouldn't really like it "*Dies* Oh dear! You really should stop killing me lad/lass, I have to be home for tea and crumpets at 8 pm" :nut:

JRod108
13th Sep 2009, 04:55
"Why is Tomb Raider always dark?"

Well, to answer your question with a question, does Lara seem like a happy go lucky girl to you?

TR tries to go dark to make an entertaining story but often comes short because as many people have said, the game has been aimed more towards a younger audience of late. Hopefully, the rumored M-rating will help relieve this problem but, it's gonna take alot more than that. There needs to be a believable story first off. Particularly one with as little plot-holes as possible, unlike Underworld. TR also needs more varied combat. Realistic A.I. can do wonders for a more scary story. Instead, we get retard tigers among other things. Why is there a set number of enemies per area? I know that it has to have a set limit, but it should be random. I was never scared of TRU's enemies. They were as dumb as my dog drunk (my dog has yet to figure out that wasps sting and continues to play with them) and as ridiculous as Hellboy II (I'm watching it as I type this. WTF?! Hellboy singing?!). It certainly didn't help that I could predict the number of enemies coming next. Why does CD have an obsession with the number 2? I didn't hate TRU even though it seems like it. I found it charming, which is precisely the reason why I think it needs serious improvement. A game that is going for a heartwrenching, dark story, should not be found as charming.

Cheese is nice.
13th Sep 2009, 05:29
They are trying to get older audiences to play the game, and make Lara appeal more to an adult standards. I think it was a hit and miss with underworld because there was no humor in it. They tried to make it serious and it came out a little cheezy. If they were to lighten it up like in Legend that would be absolutely perfect, with no need for this repulsive M rating. The game mixed humor and drama very well, and I'm disappointed that they didnt do that in underworld. They cut out way too much human interaction in this game. they didn't find a happy medium between legend and anniversary.

I for one, am NOT excited for this game. I think they will doom the franchise in this way. Yes, Lara needs to be deeper of a character, and she needs to have awesome combat, but this is not the way to go. Lara has a happy medium now and she should stay that way. But if I am correct, most if not everyone will bite off my head and say that she's going into the right direction until it's too late. Darker does not always mean better. This is not a good idea and Ithink they need to revise the entire concept of the game.

I might be wrong.I hope so. For Lara's sake.:(

oraclebop
13th Sep 2009, 06:46
They are trying to get older audiences to play the game, and make Lara appeal more to an adult standards. I think it was a hit and miss with underworld because there was no humor in it. They tried to make it serious and it came out a little cheezy. If they were to lighten it up like in Legend that would be absolutely perfect, with no need for this repulsive M rating. The game mixed humor and drama very well, and I'm disappointed that they didnt do that in underworld. They cut out way too much human interaction in this game. they didn't find a happy medium between legend and anniversary.

I for one, am NOT excited for this game. I think they will doom the franchise in this way. Yes, Lara needs to be deeper of a character, and she needs to have awesome combat, but this is not the way to go. Lara has a happy medium now and she should stay that way. But if I am correct, most if not everyone will bite off my head and say that she's going into the right direction until it's too late. Darker does not always mean better. This is not a good idea and Ithink they need to revise the entire concept of the game.

I might be wrong.I hope so. For Lara's sake.:(

This. But I have hopes. They did fine with Legend and Anniversary (mostly Anni). They need to find a balance. More Character interaction would be nice, brings you up to make the character actually feel human. But talking to yourself ain't the brightest idea. :whistle:

And welcome back Cheese Is Nice. Haven't seen you in a while here.

Ants_27_
13th Sep 2009, 07:24
They are trying to get older audiences to play the game, and make Lara appeal more to an adult standards. I think it was a hit and miss with underworld because there was no humor in it. They tried to make it serious and it came out a little cheezy. If they were to lighten it up like in Legend that would be absolutely perfect, with no need for this repulsive M rating.

But there is a need for an M rating because then we won't have the childish bouncing off of sharp objects or no blood. One of the reasons I don't really care about Lara's character is because they made her too perfect. Like when ever do you actually see her get hurt really? Look at MGS 4, Snake and all the other characters go through hell and Snake actually get's hurt and you could also say they came close to death. If the next Tomb Raider can pull of that level of character development that you actually care for the bosses after you have killed them I'll be a very happy person. i.e. Screaming Mantis.

Darker makes for a more interesting story if it is pulled off in the right way, like AOD. Yes, the gameplay wasn't good, it had glitches and what not but the story was far better than anything Underworld pulled off.

Anyway Tomb Raider needs to be aimed to an older audience, make games mature for once. It doesn't mean they won't be fun!

LARALOVERnr1
13th Sep 2009, 09:30
No zombies, vampires and other horror-stuff in a TR-Game for me please...

tombraidergal
13th Sep 2009, 15:13
I know.... i want it to be more grown up... 12 is a bit peesy of a rating... so if it was a 16 rated game i'd be like 'phwah!'
So yeah... it's weird that the animals lara shoots shows blood but she doesn't when she is hit. the classics show blood. its just as lame as 'merlin' and 'robin hood' on bbc one, because they stab people and the sword shows no blood. it's like 'wtf?!'

Andy64
13th Sep 2009, 16:58
Natlaunleashed list was pritty close on what to do in regards to the issue. I would add some scary music preferably composed by Nathan. Other that tottaly agree.

They are trying to get older audiences to play the game, and make Lara appeal more to an adult standards. I think it was a hit and miss with underworld because there was no humor in it. They tried to make it serious and it came out a little cheezy. If they were to lighten it up like in Legend that would be absolutely perfect, with no need for this repulsive M rating. The game mixed humor and drama very well, and I'm disappointed that they didnt do that in underworld. They cut out way too much human interaction in this game. they didn't find a happy medium between legend and anniversary. .:(

TRU was so serious that the game quite simply wasn't fun. Where was the humour? NOWHERE. I got absolutely sick of seeing such a strong hero as Lara on the verge of crying the whole time. So much so that I didn't care about Lara finding her mum. The Alister revenge motive or Lara vs Doppleganger should have been played instead of all this emotional Mother stuff. That was how not to do dark. Legend was great and humourous but certainly wasn't dark.

Darker makes for a more interesting story if it is pulled off in the right way, like AOD. Yes, the gameplay wasn't good, it had glitches and what not but the story was far better than anything Underworld pulled off.

Anyway Tomb Raider needs to be aimed to an older audience, make games mature for once. It doesn't mean they won't be fun!

That is certainly what I agree with. Go M-rated get some more fear and tension put back into it. That is a better way to go dark. There is a much bigger market in the whole adult population than in just young teenagers.

Cheese is nice.
14th Sep 2009, 01:06
This. But I have hopes. They did fine with Legend and Anniversary (mostly Anni). They need to find a balance. More Character interaction would be nice, brings you up to make the character actually feel human. But talking to yourself ain't the brightest idea. :whistle:

And welcome back Cheese Is Nice. Haven't seen you in a while here.
Why thank you, oracle. Glad to be back. The reason this thought occurred to me was I keep finding myself replaying Legend. Lara's character came out in that game, whereas in Anni and Undi she felt all bristly. You didn't get a chance to really feel her character, like you did in Legend. Human contact deepens character and I think that's why the game did so well.

But there is a need for an M rating because then we won't have the childish bouncing off of sharp objects or no blood. One of the reasons I don't really care about Lara's character is because they made her too perfect. Like when ever do you actually see her get hurt really? Look at MGS 4, Snake and all the other characters go through hell and Snake actually get's hurt and you could also say they came close to death. If the next Tomb Raider can pull of that level of character development that you actually care for the bosses after you have killed them I'll be a very happy person. i.e. Screaming Mantis.

No it doesn't. She can land on a spike and stick and you don't have to make it M. She can get a little blood on her when she's in combat, and it doesn't have to be M. This game doesn't have to be like the movie CARRIE for it to be interesting.

While I will admit, darker can mean a better story, but when lightened with at least a sliver of humor. Underworld felt way too dark to me. I don't know about you.

TRU was so serious that the game quite simply wasn't fun. Where was the humour? NOWHERE. I got absolutely sick of seeing such a strong hero as Lara on the verge of crying the whole time. So much so that I didn't care about Lara finding her mum. The Alister revenge motive or Lara vs Doppleganger should have been played instead of all this emotional Mother stuff. That was how not to do dark. Legend was great and humourous but certainly wasn't dark.

That is certainly what I agree with. Go M-rated get some more fear and tension put back into it. That is a better way to go dark. There is a much bigger market in the whole adult population than in just young teenagers.

She didn't stike me as about to cry all the time. She striked me as angry all the time. She should have had the headset, but not with as many interruptions.

and to make this game appeal to adults more, it just needs to be done well. Do we really need an M rating? I don't think so. We just need CD to push themselves a little more thats all.

Pulse
14th Sep 2009, 01:11
I'm not sure on ratings but I think that landing on a spike would be M.......

I do like dark stories, but I do like humorous lines (especially in really dark times when it's totally innappropriate :D)

Sun sets, screaming in the dark, then Lara says something sarcastic= Comedy Gold! (Chowder reference)

Cheese is nice.
14th Sep 2009, 01:26
I'm not sure on ratings but I think that landing on a spike would be M.......

I do like dark stories, but I do like humorous lines (especially in really dark times when it's totally innappropriate :D)

Sun sets, screaming in the dark, then Lara says something sarcastic= Comedy Gold! (Chowder reference)

I don't think so. If they make it gush blood and gore and her entrails stay on it, then yes, that would be M. Why can't they make it like a PG-13 Movie? They can curse and bleed and such, and it's still a teen rated movie.

JRod108
14th Sep 2009, 02:38
I think we're all thinking of the stereotypes and common misconceptions of the M-rated game. Not all of them entail cutting off your opponent's head and seeing blood spurt out 50 feet away. Rather, most of the ones I have personally played involve a bit of blood (think Halo) and some adult themes. Assassin's Creed had some blood but you could actually turn it off. It got the M mostly because it had some questionable things referring to religion. The M is not synonimous with blood and gore like the media and uptight adult figures would tell you. M stands for "Mature Audiences" not "monstrosity". I think people put way too much importance to the ESRB and whatever it is other countries have to rate games. I'm not saying that having a rating system is not necessary, on the contrary. Parents need ratings so they can tell what they're buying their kids. What I do have a problem with is people blowing things out of proportion. Ratings are guidelines, made on the opinions of three people (going off the ESRB system) whose identities will never be released. Opinion. That is what ratings are based on. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own. YOU decide on whether or not a game's content is suitable for you and your family, not a simple letter. Which, at the end if the day, that's all it really is.

Ants_27_
14th Sep 2009, 09:07
She didn't strike me as about to cry all the time. She striked me as angry all the time. She should have had the headset, but not with as many interruptions.

To make this game appeal to adults more, it just needs to be done well. Do we really need an M rating? I don't think so. We just need CD to push themselves a little more thats all.

I understand about the whole M thing probably not applying to the way she dies nor how violent it is, but I worded it wrong compared to how I thought it:confused:

Highering the age rating would mean that the storyline will benefit more because it could explore themes like serial killers & whatever else. I don't mean the next tomb raider should explore those themes I'm just saying.

Just because it's rated M doesn't mean it would lack humor or anything. Look at (sorry to mention it) Uncharted. Right I'm not comparing what better or game-play I'm just on about story. I think the voice actors of Uncharted said sayings that lightened the serious atmosphere during the game as well as the words written on the script. Just to remind you, I'm not comparing the two games, just an example. P.S. I know Uncharted wasn't M (I don't think).

jayjay119
14th Sep 2009, 21:45
I think we're all thinking of the stereotypes and common misconceptions of the M-rated game. Not all of them entail cutting off your opponent's head and seeing blood spurt out 50 feet away. Rather, most of the ones I have personally played involve a bit of blood (think Halo) and some adult themes. Assassin's Creed had some blood but you could actually turn it off. It got the M mostly because it had some questionable things referring to religion. The M is not synonimous with blood and gore like the media and uptight adult figures would tell you. M stands for "Mature Audiences" not "monstrosity". I think people put way too much importance to the ESRB and whatever it is other countries have to rate games. I'm not saying that having a rating system is not necessary, on the contrary. Parents need ratings so they can tell what they're buying their kids. What I do have a problem with is people blowing things out of proportion. Ratings are guidelines, made on the opinions of three people (going off the ESRB system) whose identities will never be released. Opinion. That is what ratings are based on. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own. YOU decide on whether or not a game's content is suitable for you and your family, not a simple letter. Which, at the end if the day, that's all it really is.

PRAISE THE LORD, someone who actually gets the concept of an M-Rating in contemporary gameplay! For so long now I (and others) have been trying to explain that whilst M-Ratings are associated with blood and gore it doesn't have to be that way. These days the ESRB (and other games rating boards) are way too over critical with their classifications meaning most of the more mature things that used to be achievable under a 15+ rating is now only achievable under an M-rating. The comparison of older TR games compared to newer ones are a perfect example of this, TR3 was classed as a 15 yet TRA which was a hell of a lot more toned down than it got a 16+ rating... This is what makes todays TR games seem a lot more childish compared to older games and why for me and a lot of other it should make the jump to M-rated!

JRod108
14th Sep 2009, 22:21
PRAISE THE LORD, someone who actually gets the concept of an M-Rating in contemporary gameplay! For so long now I (and others) have been trying to explain that whilst M-Ratings are associated with blood and gore it doesn't have to be that way. These days the ESRB (and other games rating boards) are way too over critical with their classifications meaning most of the more mature things that used to be achievable under a 15+ rating is now only achievable under an M-rating. The comparison of older TR games compared to newer ones are a perfect example of this, TR3 was classed as a 15 yet TRA which was a hell of a lot more toned down than it got a 16+ rating... This is what makes todays TR games seem a lot more childish compared to older games and why for me and a lot of other it should make the jump to M-rated!

That is because people in power have put WAY too much emphasis on the ESRB. The ESRB feel as if they are the equivalent to the association that rates movies, which in my opinion, they are not. Games are not the same as movies. Movies are entertainment devices often made to soley reflect on the director's/actor's/writer's views, whether they be religious or political or worldly. Games, on the other hand, are made to amuse the consumer. Yes, they can often contain content that reflects the devs views, but they can only have so much room for this as much of the disc space is devoted to gameplay and graphics. I can hack and slash and dismember and blow up an infinite amount of videogame characters, but I cannot sit through a movie like Saw. Games do not have the realism of movies. In movies, it actually looks like someone had their head chopped off, but in games, even with the most advanced technology, it looks almost comical if it tried to do the same thing. I think the whole thing is ridiculous. The M-rating should not be equivalent to the R-rating. In my opinion, they are in two completely different leagues. There should not be laws governing the age at which a consumer can buy M-rated merchandise. The government shouldn't be trying to do the job of parents in keeping up with what their children can play. The media shouldn't be saying that Mass Effect is a raunchy and sex filled game aimed to corrupt America's youth, when, in fact, that was not the case at all. The government, the media, actors/actresses, it doesn't matter. They all think they have something important to say on the matter, when, in fact, they are all ignorant and arrogant as most of them have never picked up a controller in their lives. None of them realize that the American (insert your respective country here) middle class is perfectly capable of making their own opinions and they often have much better judgement then these people in question.

Whew, that was a HUGE rant lol. Idk, I just get EXTREMELY frustrated with everyone that thinks that M-rated games are like killing puppies and drowning kittens...

BobbyDQ
17th Sep 2009, 16:40
Dark is always seen as more deep and dramatic in story. The scary island is the perfect game to go dark on. Switching between light hearted like Legend and darker like AOD would give more contrast and make dark games stronger.

jayjay119
17th Sep 2009, 16:53
Dark is always seen as more deep and dramatic in story. The scary island is the perfect game to go dark on. Switching between light hearted like Legend and darker like AOD would give more contrast and make dark games stronger.

Quoted for truth! Completely agree, welcome to the forums btw:thumb::wave:

prettygurl1105
19th Sep 2009, 23:37
all i have to say is every1 needs to stop worrying and just wait 4 the game to come out.

Ants_27_
20th Sep 2009, 07:27
all i have to say is every1 needs to stop worrying and just wait 4 the game to come out.

Yep. Lara's Shadow was 16+ why lol, it was no different.

I know 16+ isn't M.