PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Asylum PC question- controller or mouse

BatFan89
9th Sep 2009, 23:56
I need some help people. I'm a huge lifelong comic book geek and well Batman's always been my favorite and PC is all I can get the game on.

I heard you can hook up like a X-Box 360 or a PS3 controller up to my laptop and use that to play the game. I'm asking if its better to play with a controller or mouse and keybroad because I haven't played a PC computer game in a long ******* time! Plus my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525.

The Coca Cola Company
10th Sep 2009, 00:28
What ever suits you. Both are very good. It depends on which of the two you are more familiar.

lostsomething
10th Sep 2009, 00:28
I need some help people. I'm a huge lifelong comic book geek and well Batman's always been my favorite and PC is all I can get the game on.

I heard you can hook up like a X-Box 360 or a PS3 controller up to my laptop and use that to play the game. I'm asking if its better to play with a controller or mouse and keybroad because I haven't played a PC computer game in a long ******* time!

My impression from the demo was that the fighting works better with a controller while sneaking around's better with mouse + keyboard.

Plus my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Unfortunately that laptop doesn't have a real video card so the game's unlikely to be playable on it. You can't add a video card on a laptop either.

You could try the demo and see how it works for you but Intel video chipsets are notoriously poor for gaming.

BatFan89
10th Sep 2009, 00:52
What ever suits you. Both are very good. It depends on which of the two you are more familiar.

Well PS3 since I've played PS1 and 2 but never 3. Can't get used to X-Box controllers.

My impression from the demo was that the fighting works better with a controller while sneaking around's better with mouse + keyboard.

Unfortunately that laptop doesn't have a real video card so the game's unlikely to be playable on it. You can't add a video card on a laptop either.

You could try the demo and see how it works for you but Intel video chipsets are notoriously poor for gaming.

Gee thanks for the great news. I'm playing this game on here one way or another.

lostsomething
10th Sep 2009, 03:44
Gee thanks for the great news. I'm playing this game on here one way or another.

Better to know than not, right?

gclhoutx
10th Sep 2009, 04:07
I've always been a keyboard and mouse person. I feel its more easier to control than with the controllers. Plus it usually has more freedom for customized key binds.

BatFan89
10th Sep 2009, 17:44
Hmmm interesting. Well I'm still gonna play Batman: Arkham Asylum on my laptop.

tenth8sphere
10th Sep 2009, 17:52
It's a tough call. I was planning to plug in my PS3 controller to my PC to play it. But I noticed something in the demo about how they mapped the keys differently than the PS3 demo did. I forget what it was (maybe the batarang?) but for some reason I thought a key-mapping would necessarily work as well as the keyboard/mouse.

I prefer a keyboard's multiple key settings. But I prefer the ANALOG turning ability a controller offers. WASD can be a little too digital.

BatFan89
10th Sep 2009, 19:33
A friend of mine is lending me one his PS3 controllers to use and try.

Stigger
10th Sep 2009, 21:19
I like the keyboard/mouse combination myself. Very easy to regularly get 10+ attack combos with it than it was with a controller for me. Seems much more precise. YMMV of course.

RYO_91
11th Sep 2009, 00:42
cmon man if you are going to play the pc version use the mouse, dont be a fanboy, i only use the joystick to play PES 2009, and is much better with the mouse, have you ever played a shooter/fps on a console, well it sucks bad

ICptJackSparrow
11th Sep 2009, 01:14
It really is preference, anybody that says one over the other is only showing their preference.
I myself always go mouse and keyboard for first person and third person shooters, mostly.
Batman is one that I do use the 360 controller for, it just "feels" more suited for that game.

RYO_91
11th Sep 2009, 06:29
It really is preference, anybody that says one over the other is only showing their preference.
I myself always go mouse and keyboard for first person and third person shooters, mostly.
Batman is one that I do use the 360 controller for, it just "feels" more suited for that game.

ok i agree with you but for this type of games, you re not playing crysis with a controller right?

Mistress of Fear
11th Sep 2009, 06:58
Well with in light of what someone just said download the demo and see it works on your comp first.
Anyway personal preference myself I use the keyboard/mouse and if you don't want to take the time to get use to the controls on the keyboard the I would say go ahead and get a controller to plug into your comp.

42dikiw
11th Sep 2009, 16:00
controller. definitely controller.

especially b/c I have my PC hooked up to my TV, who wants to use a keyboard and mouse when they are sitting on a couch enjoying everything in high quality??

Marcus
11th Sep 2009, 16:22
Bear in mind that one of the mods said they have made improvements to the full game's controller support based on feedback from the demo. I think that some controllers were moving Batman backwards when the player pushed forwards - fixed now.

Nemesis296
11th Sep 2009, 17:11
Bear in mind that one of the mods said they have made improvements to the full game's controller support based on feedback from the demo. I think that some controllers were moving Batman backwards when the player pushed forwards - fixed now.

This was true for any controllers that were not XBOX 360 controllers. If you notice, the XBOX controller has been specifically designed to work with the PC version.

Note: Above is just fact, I am in no way a fanboy for Xbox.

graviongr
12th Sep 2009, 16:35
I love the precision and ease a keyboard and mouse brings in FPS games. I've usually been a defender of that stance in threads saying controllers are superior to a kb/m. (It actually still boggles me how someone can think that.)

However, saying that. I do also own an Xbox 360, and naturally I plugged in my Xbox 360 controller into my PC to test out this game. I found it worked wonderfully, and I will probably be playing this game with a controller.

Now if there were a versus multiplayer option in this game and competition was on the line, then perhaps I would re-evaluate my preference.

Niku
22nd Sep 2009, 02:23
This was true for any controllers that were not XBOX 360 controllers. If you notice, the XBOX controller has been specifically designed to work with the PC version.

Note: Above is just fact, I am in no way a fanboy for Xbox.

To my knowledge, this isnt fixed in the retail release. Im struggling with it right now. Is there a patch i cannot find? Im talking about the backwards left thumb stick. Down is up, and up is down on my logitech rumble 2 wireless. There are hacks for this, but they are not working for me. Its pretty irritating that Microsoft is doing this. Its clearly engineered to break for third party controllers.

tbone_ing101
28th Sep 2009, 21:34
having same problem niku

OrionsByte
28th Sep 2009, 21:56
Personally, I rarely play any of the current-generation console systems (I've always preferred PC), so I've never gotten used to those controllers. I'm a keyboard-and-mouse guy, and for the most part that worked just fine for me for Batman.

However, there are a couple points in the game where they "locked down" the camera (as opposed to having it stay behind you) and in those areas I found the keyboard/mouse combo a little frustrating. It's just a little conflict with my control style, which is more FPS-oriented than adventure-oriented.

Having said that, freeflow combat is really nice with a mouse, because you can snap your view around almost instantaneously, which allows you to have a good feel for your surroundings, and the ability to make sure your hits land where you want them to.

Inzane
28th Sep 2009, 22:14
this game has built in support for the xbox 360 controller. It works really good. with rumble even :D you can pick up a standard 360 wired controller Cheap, plug it in and it works right out of the box. the ps3 controller won't work that well out of the box. no offical drivers to make it work. I don't know if rumble even works.

Niku
1st Oct 2009, 01:13
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not spending any more money on a game i own, when i own what should be a perfectly good controller.

The_Hylden
1st Oct 2009, 01:51
I usually play action adventure-type games like this with a controller. However, the controls were spot-on with mouse and keyboard, which was good, since the axis of my gamepad were irrevocably reversed (it's a Logitech, not a 360 controller), so I was forced to go at it with the keyboard and mouse. To my surprise, once I let the timing just happen, it was fantastic.

ArMiGeRa
8th Oct 2009, 14:13
i have this game with 3,63GB only and it work soo well but i have a problem with the control with keyboard and mouse i can't chnage the weapon when i use deactivate mode and wana put a pomp on the wall or open the iron in the walls i can't change the weapon i only arrive to 3% i need help can any one tell me how to configer my keyboard and mouse so i can change weapons .............i can hit and do combo that's all hope some one can help me thanks :)

FlakMagnet
8th Oct 2009, 15:54
I think there is something wrong with your keyboard to be honest. Even the punctuation keys don't work very well.

</sarcasm>

deders
8th Oct 2009, 16:47
i have this game with 3,63GB only and it work soo well but i have a problem with the control with keyboard and mouse i can't chnage the weapon when i use deactivate mode and wana put a pomp on the wall or open the iron in the walls i can't change the weapon i only arrive to 3% i need help can any one tell me how to configer my keyboard and mouse so i can change weapons .............i can hit and do combo that's all hope some one can help me thanks :)

use the number keys, 1-9

to open the metal grates on the walls go up to them and hammer space

ArMiGeRa
8th Oct 2009, 19:36
GUYS I NEED HELP I CAN"T PLAY THIS DAME PLAY I CAN'T CHANGE THE Equipment jitem ot the weapo0pn all i have one weapon i user keyborad and MOUSE i need help how i can change that dame weapons i can't open walls or make pomp or pull the irons on the wall what i can do ????????????????????:nut:

ArMiGeRa
8th Oct 2009, 19:38
keys number 1 to 9 not working at all and when i fly to and press space he go down and do nothing if so can any one give me a good link to download a good version of it???

deders
8th Oct 2009, 19:41
keys number 1 to 9 not working at all and when i fly to and press space he go down and do nothing if so can any one give me a good link to download a good version of it???

at that point in the game you only have 1 weapon, you can't blow up walls till later on, you should be able to open the grates (Irons) by pressing crouch (ctrl) and space

as for gliding (fly), it's hard to tell with your english but it sounds like you are using a cracked copy and want us to suggest a better one, well.....

Buy the game!!!

ArMiGeRa
9th Oct 2009, 06:39
aha i see and am sorry about my english i know it's not good enough and thanks guys fir your help :)

teh4x
3rd Mar 2010, 22:31
Download Xpadder. After installing the MotionInJoy drivers for the PS3 controller, install Xpadder and map your keyboard buttons to the PS3 controller. Voila, PS3 controller working on B:AA.