PDA

View Full Version : Not sure whether to get disc version or off steam

tenth8sphere
9th Sep 2009, 14:30
Typically I've been afraid to buy off of steam. I like being able to install and play my games whenever I want, without needing to be online. The only game I've ever gotten that was off steam has been Left 4 Dead. I actually bought a disc version of it, but it ended up just basically being a code for steam anyways.

Since then I wanted to play L4D and actually found Steam to be convenient, because I didn't need to find the disc. I was able to just redownload the whole game. All I needed to remember was my steam login. Not too bad.

Anyways, my main concern is that I seem to recall seeing that some games bought off steam have DIFFERENT problems than disc versions. Is this right? Does anyone have experience with Steam and can say whether it has reliability/patching/etc issues I should know about before I buy a steam copy?

Thanks for any insight

Moleculor
9th Sep 2009, 15:22
I don't recall hearing about some Steam games having problems other games don't, except in the case of their overlay (which I believe can be disabled), and those rare issues were generally fixed by either Valve or the developers in question rather quickly (a day or so).

My issue is that I don't know whether Steam will be offering BAA for preloading or if their version will have SecuROM malware in it. I can't seem to get an answer from any Eidos folk on the forums here, so I've tossed a question at the Steam folk to see if they know.

jaywalker2309
9th Sep 2009, 15:33
Not sure when preloading is going to be made available from steam.

I cannot discuss exact details of online encryption as the info given in the past has been used by people to work out how to try and crack it, however i can say its similar in process to GTA4 in how it works, even with Steam

Moleculor
9th Sep 2009, 16:05
Well then it looks like I won't be buying it off of Steam then. Steam DRM + GFW DRM + SecuROM DRM = Way too much DRM.

tenth8sphere
9th Sep 2009, 16:12
Moleculor, can you explain what you mean by DRM on steam? I thought Steam was its OWN drm? So that all I had to worry about was logging in to play? In left 4 dead, for example, the DRM is needing to be online and have your login. What's this GFW/SecuROM you're talking about?

Nemesis296
9th Sep 2009, 16:24
Moleculor, can you explain what you mean by DRM on steam? I thought Steam was its OWN drm? So that all I had to worry about was logging in to play? In left 4 dead, for example, the DRM is needing to be online and have your login. What's this GFW/SecuROM you're talking about?

GFW = Games for Windows Live which has its own separate copy protection like Steam.

Pbrad08
9th Sep 2009, 16:25
Well then it looks like I won't be buying it off of Steam then. Steam DRM + GFW DRM + SecuROM DRM = Way too much DRM.

Haha. Although I'd be more concerned on GFWL's DRM. That s***t has plauged FO3 since the beginning.

tenth8sphere
9th Sep 2009, 16:27
But what does it involve? I guess what I'm asking is this: If I buy off steam, what do I have to do to play it? Do I just click on play like I do with Left 4 Dead, and it will work as long as I'm online with steam? What does the GFWL and SecureROM drm require ME to do to play?

Nemesis296
9th Sep 2009, 16:32
But what does it involve? I guess what I'm asking is this: If I buy off steam, what do I have to do to play it? Do I just click on play like I do with Left 4 Dead, and it will work as long as I'm online with steam? What does the GFWL and SecureROM drm require ME to do to play?

I have never used GFWL, so I'm not really certain. I would assume that it means if you buy it through Steam, you have to put up with Steam's protection/DRM by requiring you log into your account to play. Then, the Leaderboards are going to be through Games for Windows, so you'll have another layer of protection through that, which I believe people are saying uses SecuROM. You'll probably be able to play it fine, but I think you'll be better off if you just buy the retail game with a disc in stores. Eidos has already confirmed that there won't be any disc-DRM on the game you buy in stores.

Pbrad08
9th Sep 2009, 16:33

I think GFWL only requires you to be logged in on LIVE to access a save game. At least thats how it worked with FO3.

The Coca Cola Company
9th Sep 2009, 19:32

- GFWL will require to create an online or offline account. All the versions of Batman will require this step though.
- SecuROM will need an internet connection for registering the game to the Securom servers (an automated procedure). GTA IV has unlimited machine activations (not only 3 or 5 as other titles)