PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard not working at all for PC Demo

Giz03mo
8th Sep 2009, 19:54
I have downloaded and installed this demo from 2 different places (Steam/this website) to see if I had gotten a bad file.

I load up the game, and it runs fine. When it actually comes to the point to where I can move around, the only thing that works is the mouse...I can move the camera around.

So I went into Control options and under the Keyboard side, it didn't even have WASD listed as well as some other buttons. So I read on the forums about resetting the defaults in the Launcher. So went to the Movement controls under the Launcher and it's an empty screen under that option, as well as Action controls. When I click RESET TO DEFAULT, I get an error from windows saying there is a problem with the program and the error message is extremely long and it's stuff I have never seen before.

My computer can run the game fine, its Vista 64bit Ultimate, ATI Radeon 4890, i7 core, etc.

My keyboard is a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

The mouse is just a generic mouse.

Any ideas?

The Coca Cola Company
8th Sep 2009, 20:25
Weird, but we can't give you much of a help without posting a screenshot of that error.

Giz03mo
8th Sep 2009, 20:39
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3900911003_1f13da381b_o.jpg

The Coca Cola Company
8th Sep 2009, 20:43
Hm, another issue that seems to be related to .Net Framework.

Try uninstalling it, rebooting and installing the latest available version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d0e5dea7-ac26-4ad7-b68c-fe5076bba986

Giz03mo
9th Sep 2009, 03:06
Uninstalled both, rebooted and reinstalled both. Still same error and problem. Any other suggestions?

If I can't get the demo to work, I am not sure I am going to want to spen $50 on the real thing.

Nemesis296
9th Sep 2009, 03:23
Uninstalled both, rebooted and reinstalled both. Still same error and problem. Any other suggestions?

If I can't get the demo to work, I am not sure I am going to want to spen $50 on the real thing.

Did you try a different keyboard...maybe your keyboard has some weird configurations or something, just a thought.

Giz03mo
9th Sep 2009, 03:33
That thought occurred to me as well. But I don't have an extra keyboard laying around right now. Plus, my keyboard works for every other game out there...Crysis, FarCry2, Hawx X Blades, etc.

Unstoppable
9th Sep 2009, 05:03
You did unplug any usb controllers like gamepads right?

Marcus
9th Sep 2009, 09:20
Your config (.ini) files sound like they have been messed up somehow - that would cause the game not to display the keys on the controls screen, and would be consistent with the error message you're getting.

Are you sure that the game installed correctly? Is there any chance that you ran short on drive space (the game needs about 4gb to install, because it unpacks 2gb to a temp directory)?

Nemesis296
9th Sep 2009, 12:22
That thought occurred to me as well. But I don't have an extra keyboard laying around right now. Plus, my keyboard works for every other game out there...Crysis, FarCry2, Hawx X Blades, etc.

Where did you download the demo from? I would suggest downloading it from Eidos' website here, as that's probably the 'cleanest' install you'll find. It seems like Marcus might be right, I would guess the keyboard settings in the ini file are corrupted in some way. If you re-download the demo, it might work better...I would give that a shot.

Also, if you're using a special Logitech keyboard, it doesn't have specific keybinds stored for the keyboard depending on the program you're running? I thought those complex $100 keyboards were special because you could customize your keys and save the settings to the keyboard, much like you can customize how a graphics card works with each individual game.

Giz03mo
9th Sep 2009, 17:06
I have downloaded the demo 4 times. Twice from Steam and twice from Eidos's website. I have plenty of storage space as it is being installed onto a 320gb HDD that is fairly new, nothing is on it really. I don't own any gamepads of any sort, so they are none hooked up to the computer. The actual installation is kinda funky though. It never provides an icon on the desktop to for me to click through and play the game. Any time I want to "try" and play it, I have to go to the Eidos folder, go to Binaries and actually click on the BMlauncher. That seems weird to me. But, it has been that way for all 4 attempts of installing the game. This keyboard doesn't really have specific keybinds. The only ones it does have or the Fkeys. For things like the music player, messenger, etc. So I am guessing I do have a corrupt (ini) file, but how does one go about correcting that?

Marcus
9th Sep 2009, 17:11
Ah - maybe the way you're running it is causing problems. Try doing in the 'correct' Vista way - click the Games menu in the Vista start menu, then double click the Batman icon (or right click and select Launcher, if you want to redo settings at a later date).

Apparently this is a standard for GFWL games.

Nemesis296
9th Sep 2009, 17:21
I have downloaded the demo 4 times. Twice from Steam and twice from Eidos's website. I have plenty of storage space as it is being installed onto a 320gb HDD that is fairly new, nothing is on it really. I don't own any gamepads of any sort, so they are none hooked up to the computer. The actual installation is kinda funky though. It never provides an icon on the desktop to for me to click through and play the game. Any time I want to "try" and play it, I have to go to the Eidos folder, go to Binaries and actually click on the BMlauncher. That seems weird to me. But, it has been that way for all 4 attempts of installing the game. This keyboard doesn't really have specific keybinds. The only ones it does have or the Fkeys. For things like the music player, messenger, etc. So I am guessing I do have a corrupt (ini) file, but how does one go about correcting that?

Well we're getting into a touchy subject since *technically* you are breaking the EULA by modifying files (which I played around with in the demo....oops ;)) so you can't take this as officially how to fix it, but the BmInput.ini file (maybe it's BmGameInput.ini...I'm not at home with the files in front of me) has a bunch of keyboard bindings in it. If you modify these to the keys that you want to work, it should work, if those maybe disappeared somehow. I would say you're better off by trying a basic keyboard first, but editing the ini file might be your only option. What isn't making sense to me is how if you are redownloading the files, how the ini file is still corrupted each time. Maybe your keyboard is modifying the files automatically? I dunno, but that's a pretty strange predicament.

Giz03mo
9th Sep 2009, 17:26
Just to reply back to Marcus real quick. There is no Batman icon under the Games folder either. Nemesis, I will give it one more go. I am trying the download once more and if that doesn't work, I will try this experiment.

Nemesis296
9th Sep 2009, 17:29
Just to reply back to Marcus real quick. There is no Batman icon under the Games folder either. Nemesis, I will give it one more go. I am trying the download once more and if that doesn't work, I will try this experiment.

If you don't have the icon then maybe it's not installing correctly. If you have Vista, it should show up in the Games folder...that's how you get the Launcher and the Demo to work...or at least that's how I did it...;)

Marcus
9th Sep 2009, 17:59
The icon should definitely appear there when installing the version from Eidos. Don't know about the Steam version though... :P

Giz03mo
9th Sep 2009, 18:11
Well a new problem has arisen. I have reinstalled Batman (5th time) and now the splash screen shows up whether to play game, install DirectX etc...and no matter which one I click, it says, "specified file not found"

Also, I went to uninstall it, and it won't let me unistall it either, saying it can't find the uxinstallHelper file. So Batman is screwing me over.

The Coca Cola Company
9th Sep 2009, 18:54
Well reinstall it.. and then see if it will let you uninstall it.

Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software because sometimes it can cause problems while hooking to the programs you are running. The fact that the game seems to not be installed correctly this time and cannot be uninstalled correctly most likely means that a background process corrupted the installation.

That, or you have malware, or your RAM is faulty.

Giz03mo
9th Sep 2009, 23:21
Brand new computer. No virus/spy. Tried reinstalling it. No go. Same error. I can't even load the game now. Used to I could load the game and play (just not move)

I am just gonna give it up. I have other games to play then having to mess with all this junk.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.