PDA

View Full Version : Maxing Out CPU

Torchwood
7th Sep 2009, 01:42
The demo is maxing out my cpu and causing stutters and pauses even though the computer specs are within range:

Duo Core 2 E6600 at 2.4 ghz on a MSI P6N SLI Platnium Motherboard
4 gigs RAM
GTX 260 graphics card

Am I missing something on the game requirements? Is the demo the fault? I've tried cutting down graphic settings and even ran in windows mode and it doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks.

iceman0124
7th Sep 2009, 05:55
Have you tired turning physx down? Latest drivers etc. Your CPU is holding back your GPU a good bit, but it should still run pretty well. its been documented that a kentsfield quad core clocked below 3.5-3.6 ghz cant fully keep up with a standard clocked 192 core GTX260

You could also have background processes bogging the system down, my E8400 at $.05 ghz runs about 50% on each core during gameplay, whats your average CPU suage BEFORE starting the game?

Torchwood
7th Sep 2009, 18:55
Latest drivers, yes. Sitting here typing this post, my cpu is at an average of 3% and RF usuage is 486MB. I have tried different graphic settings with the demo and the same things seem to occur. During the game it seems to average about 70 then spikes to 100 causing my problems.

trek554
7th Sep 2009, 20:47
Have you tired turning physx down? Latest drivers etc. Your CPU is holding back your GPU a good bit, but it should still run pretty well. its been documented that a kentsfield quad core clocked below 3.5-3.6 ghz cant fully keep up with a standard clocked 192 core GTX260

You could also have background processes bogging the system down, my E8400 at $.05 ghz runs about 50% on each core during gameplay, whats your average CPU suage BEFORE starting the game? where are you pulling that from because it depends on the game? a game that doesnt utilize more than 2 cores would not need quad core plus most games that do utilize quad get the same performance as dual cores of the same architecture and speed once played at realistic settings. for example all the very high end dual(E8400 and better) and high end quad cores are bunched together in Far Cry 2 once you get above 1680 and use ultra settings with a gtx260 or even gtx280.

I totally agree that his cpu is holding him back a bit but again it just depends on the game. in Batman with a gtx260 his cpu is probably holding him back by about 20% even at 1920 which is pretty significant so an overclock on that cpu would help.

btw my E8500 at stock speeds is at about 70-80% for most of the game but so is my much slower 4200 X2 cpu.

pleomax
14th Sep 2009, 21:38
Overclock & overvolt it, might be able to get 3.2ghz stable. It would help with that gtx260.

Pbrad08
14th Sep 2009, 21:48
its been documented that a kentsfield quad core clocked below 3.5-3.6 ghz cant fully keep up with a standard clocked 192 core GTX260

Link or its not real.

Torchwood
15th Sep 2009, 13:23
In other words my GTX260 is better than the rest of my computer. :(

trek554
15th Sep 2009, 13:32
In other words my GTX260 is better than the rest of my computer. :( your cpu isnt that bad to be with gtx260. your 2.4 E6600 would be about like my E8500 at 2.2 and I certainly see a drop in many games including Batman if I run that speed but everything is still playable. so yes it is going to keep your gtx260 from reaching its full potential by about 20-25%.

sujanne
24th Sep 2009, 05:17
Is changing out the cpu and video card at home possible on a HDX series hp laptop? Iv got the jumbo hdx dragon laptop and Im thinking if possible to upgrade the cpu, video card, and hard drive when the warranty runs out. But only of course if it is possible..
affiliateelite (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=affiliateelite.com) ~ affiliateelite.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=affiliateelite.com) ~ adgooroo (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/keyword.aspx?q=adgooroo) ~ adgooroo.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=adgooroo.com)

trek554
24th Sep 2009, 06:30
Is changing out the cpu and video card at home possible on a HDX series hp laptop? Iv got the jumbo hdx dragon laptop and Im thinking if possible to upgrade the cpu, video card, and hard drive when the warranty runs out. But only of course if it is possible..
no....

mnemosyne
24th Sep 2009, 07:41
The demo is maxing out my cpu and causing stutters and pauses even though the computer specs are within range:

Duo Core 2 E6600 at 2.4 ghz on a MSI P6N SLI Platnium Motherboard
4 gigs RAM
GTX 260 graphics card

Am I missing something on the game requirements? Is the demo the fault? I've tried cutting down graphic settings and even ran in windows mode and it doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks.

i have similar pc except for cpu which is two of your cpus in one package:
intel core2 quad q6600 at 2.4ghz (2x of your e6600)
gtx 260 216sp

i was playing demo and finished full version 1.0 and didnt encounter any stutters/pauses, i was playing on following settings: max gfx, no AntiAliasing, no PhysX, 1440x900, windows XP SP3

the lowest fps i saw was around 45 but 95% of the time it was much more, your pc specification is perfectly fine! maybe you have software problem or maybe this game requires more than 2 cores, but i dont think so... maybe try on different os like vista or windows 7 if you are using xp, i sometimes solve this way many problems, if i have problem on xp i try vista and otherwise, for example red faction guerilla runs with 30% more fps in xp than in vista, but need for speed shift with 20% more fps in vista (same drivers 190.62), good to have at least 2 os's for gaming