PDA

View Full Version : PhysX on the CPU???

arezina
5th Sep 2009, 00:36
I don't own a PhysX able Graphics card. Or have any intention on buying one (too expensive in brazil). So I wonder.

Is there any way to run those PhysX effects via my CPU (pretty sure it can handle).

Regards,
Spider

Nemesis296
5th Sep 2009, 02:29
I don't own a PhysX able Graphics card. Or have any intention on buying one (too expensive in brazil). So I wonder.

Is there any way to run those PhysX effects via my CPU (pretty sure it can handle).

Regards,
Spider

What? I don't understand what you mean...PhysX is a graphics card technology from nVidia...so if you don't have a graphics card that supports it, um....no.

trek554
5th Sep 2009, 05:13
What? I don't understand what you mean...PhysX is a graphics card technology from nVidia...so if you don't have a graphics card that supports it, um....no. if you have an ATI card or you have physx acceleration disabled in the Nvidia control panel then physx will run in software which will be handled by the cpu.

OP, no cpu can handle high phsyx. if you have a very fast quad core then normal physx will be barely playable but certainly not smooth as your minimum framerates will be in the single digits during those physx events.

lostsomething
5th Sep 2009, 06:08
Not likely.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/mirrors_edge_physx_performance/page5.asp

Low teens on an i7-975.

RYO_91
11th Sep 2009, 13:31
yes likely!!!, i have an nvidia geforce 7600gs and i can use the physx but its pretty buggy and i get low fps, without the physx i get 30fps all maxed out,

trek554
11th Sep 2009, 20:30
yes likely!!!, i have an nvidia geforce 7600gs and i can use the physx but its pretty buggy and i get low fps, without the physx i get 30fps all maxed out,
you CANT use physx on a 7600gs. when you turn it on its just running on your cpu which is too slow to actually be playable at all. even without physx you most certainly are not "averaging" 30fps on max settings with a 7600gs.

RYO_91
11th Sep 2009, 23:01
you CANT use physx on a 7600gs. when you turn it on its just running on your cpu which is too slow to actually be playable at all. even without physx you most certainly are not "averaging" 30fps on max settings with a 7600gs.

yes i do man but i play it with a resolution of 800 x 600, and i didnt sayed that i was running the physx trough de gpu, also i have the 7600gs with overclock

core: 400 mhz @ 570 mhz
memory: 270 mhz @ 400 mhz

thats like a 50 % overclock, if you dont believe me i can post a screenshot of the settings and ingame...

trek554
11th Sep 2009, 23:08
yes i do man but i play it with a resolution of 800 x 600, and i didnt sayed that i was running the physx trough de gpu, also i have the 7600gs with overclock

core: 400 mhz @ 570 mhz
memory: 270 mhz @ 400 mhz

thats like a 50 % overclock, if you dont believe me i can post a screenshot of the settings and ingame... well the way you worded it made it sound that way. yeah at just 800x600 and with it overclocked like that then I believe you can get 30fps without physx. :cool: