PDA

View Full Version : Something that seriously is pissing me off.....

bughole5
5th Sep 2009, 00:13
ok now its already hard enough these days to get a console title on the pc.....and then on top of that these idiots keep pirating games, its up to us to make sure devs keep making pc games......just dont download these pirated games, buy the freakin game how would you feel if you worked day and night on a project and it was being passed around for free and then when done just thrown away.........its raping an industry :mad2: my god

J Paul
5th Sep 2009, 01:15
ok now its already hard enough these days to get a console title on the pc.....and then on top of that these idiots keep pirating games, its up to us to make sure devs keep making pc games......just dont download these pirated games, buy the freakin game how would you feel if you worked day and night on a project and it was being passed around for free and then when done just thrown away.........its raping an industry :mad2: my god

The people who pirate games generally would not have bought them in the first place.

Not saying it's justified, because it's not. Piracy is not a good thing at all.

I'm just saying that it's not necessarily hurting the developer because they are not technically 'losing' a sale. There was never a sale to be lost or gained. You cannot lose what does not exist. It only hurts the industry when people who plan on buying the game instead choose to pirate it. However, as you can see by reading that sentence back to yourself, that's entirely nonsensical. If someone plans on buying something, they generally end up buying it. If not, it's likely they never would have in the first place.

Again, I'm not advocating piracy. It's just not nearly as bad as its made out to be. It isn't 'killing the industry' or 'hurting the developers'. Piracy has run rampant since the creation of software, since the creation of any intellectual property for that matter, and the software, gaming, music, and film industries are obviously still here, aren't they?

bughole5
5th Sep 2009, 01:41
its slowly dieing on the pc dude..... how long has it bin since piracy on pc has started.....your acting like its bin like 50 yrs........its only bin like 15 yrs at the most.....how much longer will it run

Bojan_dk
5th Sep 2009, 01:44
its slowly dieing on the pc dude..... how long has it bin since piracy on pc has started.....your acting like its bin like 50 yrs........its only bin like 15 yrs at the most.....how much longer will it run

Piracy has been around since the first atari and commodore 64.

betelgeus
5th Sep 2009, 01:48
they should have released the pc version same time as consoles,after all the rave reviews i bought it for ps3 on day of release,however if i only had a pc and saw a pirated version 15 days before it was released id download it,couldnt be helped after all the reviews building up the anticipation.

now eidos still have another 10 days till release man this game is gonna be pirated by everyone.

Nemesis296
5th Sep 2009, 02:30
The pirates won't get much out of this game, Eidos/Rocksteady have put in security measures to keep pirates from completing the game fully...which I applaud :thumb:

I for one, cannot WAIT to buy the PC version, even though I already have the console version. I'm buying it just for the PhysX...that and because my PC is just sick when it runs Batman :naughty:

LeoNatan
5th Sep 2009, 02:37
LMAO @ "waaa piracy ruins PC gaming waaa" retards. As if there is no piracy on the 360 :rolleyes: (and no, there is no piracy on PS3 -> do you understand why it sells so low? ;))

Limited installations = instant pirating from me.

DeathFrogg
5th Sep 2009, 07:43
i would buy it - BUT IM AINT WAITING 20 EXTRA DAYS FOR MY COPY

matches81
5th Sep 2009, 08:01

I quote the PCGA's report on the state of the PC gaming market in 2008 (to be found here (http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/imwp/download.asp?ContentID=15559)):

The PC is the largest single platform for games with annual worldwide revenue of about $11 billion. This is more than any of the console and portable systems from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.
I'm sick of hearing every year how the PC as a gaming platform is dieing. What do you base that off? Don't forget that things like NPD sales figues don't include online distribution, MMO fees and other things, but are purely retail figures. Oh, and piracy has been around as long as I've been playing computer games (22 years on C64, Amiga and PC, all of which had piracy).

Still, it probably is true that a single AAA title is very likely to sell more copies on the consoles than on the PC. Why is that? Well, first off, the PC market is very varied, including PCs that are 5 years old or older and are simply incapable of running something like B:AA, for example, up to high-end PCs that don't even break a sweat running it at insanely high resolutions. One of the reasons Valve's games do so well is that they are built to run on a huge variety of systems, pretty much the same thing Blizzard does. Their games may not be the shiniest around, but at least they run on a 5 year old computer and still manage to look good on new systems.
Another reason is that, at least from my experience, publishers have somewhat lost the trust of PC gamers. People are pretty cautious when it comes to PC games, because they are often released in a state that is closer to a beta version than anything else. The minimum system requirements often are a bad joke, too. True, the game will run if you meet them, but often not in a playable fashion. Finally, the trend towards DRM these days is pissing a lot of people off. Agree or not, a lot of people (me included) think it's wrong that you still pay full price for a game but are left at the publisher's mercy whether you can actually play the game one, five or ten years from now. The icing on the cake is that publishers have the audacity to claim it's all to hinder piracy, when that is obviously simply not true.
Overall this leads to a problem: PC gamers (at least the ones I know) are getting very reluctant to buy a game just on good faith, something that works just fine on the consoles.

As for piracy killing the PC: LeoNatan gave a good counter-argument to that. True, the PC suffers from piracy to some (unknown) extent, but 360 games are pirated just as easily, while the PS3 doesn't suffer from piracy at all so far. Why is it then that PS3 games don't outsell both easily or at least do better than 360 games considering their respective user base, if piracy really is the industry killer?
It's time people stop reiterating over and over again that piracy is the single biggest issue of PC gaming. That is simply wrong.

iceman0124
5th Sep 2009, 08:29
The people who pirate games generally would not have bought them in the first place.

Not saying it's justified, because it's not. Piracy is not a good thing at all.

I'm just saying that it's not necessarily hurting the developer because they are not technically 'losing' a sale. There was never a sale to be lost or gained. You cannot lose what does not exist. It only hurts the industry when people who plan on buying the game instead choose to pirate it. However, as you can see by reading that sentence back to yourself, that's entirely nonsensical. If someone plans on buying something, they generally end up buying it. If not, it's likely they never would have in the first place.

Again, I'm not advocating piracy. It's just not nearly as bad as its made out to be. It isn't 'killing the industry' or 'hurting the developers'. Piracy has run rampant since the creation of software, since the creation of any intellectual property for that matter, and the software, gaming, music, and film industries are obviously still here, aren't they?

Where do you guys get this uber retard logic from? Stealing is stealing and it does hurt somebody somewhere. Basically by your logic its fine to steal some ladies purse, you werent gonna buy it anyway, the people that made the purse already got their cut....go to someones house and take a prized family heirloom you dont want and just toss it in the trash....your not hurting anyone

Intenet theft is still stealing, just cause nobody sees you, its still stealing, just because you can come up with a stupid justification, its still stealing, and you IDIOTS are the first one to cry foul when companies go to stronger methods to protect their PROPERTY....when you check the agree box to install a piece of software, you are complying in full with their terms for the license to use their product LEGALLY, its idiotic thinking and practices above that have thrust DRM upon us....:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
I wish the mods would pull these stupid posts cause so sick of seeing them, or at least move them to the securerom thread which I'm purposfully ignoring now cause I've had enough of the stupidity.

I hope all you tards gets your identiy stolen and see how victemless your victemless crimes really are.

matches81
5th Sep 2009, 08:45
@iceman0124:
Somebody still comparing software piracy to theft of a physical item as if it's the same thing clearly hasn't understood anything. Perhaps this helps:
1. Copy a file on your system from one folder to another. Is the original file still there?
2. Now, pick an item from your desk and put it on the kitchen table. Is the item still on your desk?
See the difference now? (*)
There is a difference between software piracy and stealing in a shop. Piracy doesn't remove anything from the owner, stealing does.

All your examples directly hurt the victim by removing something from it or giving the other side the option to hurt him very badly (identity theft). Piracy doesn't do that. The only point of interest with piracy is: Would a pirate have bought the product if it hadn't been available for free somewhere? Is it really a lost sale?
Btw: This is not a justification for piracy, it's still wrong, but those are the simple facts. If you don't get them, you shouldn't be calling others stupid.

(*): Hint: The answer to 1 should be "yes", for 2 it's "no".