PDA

View Full Version : Older Ageia PhysX card support?

CrisisDog
2nd Sep 2009, 01:25
I read that the PhysX support in this game will only work with CUDA based cards, leaving out the older Ageia PPU cards for hardware acceleration. Can anyone actually confirm or deny this?

I'm stuck in a situation where I have an ATI and Ageia card, but they only work properly together with and older PhysX runtime. The demo for this game apparently won't run on the older software and forces me to update, which then breaks what little compatibility I have.

Just wanted to know if I swapped out my ATI card for an Nvidia model, what probability would the older Ageia card have to still provide some usefulness.

Thanks!

:D

trek554
2nd Sep 2009, 01:50
its not doable because starting with the 190 drivers you cant run physx on a system with an ATI card. to be clear if using an ATI card for graphics there is no longer support for running physx at all whether that be on an Nvidia or Ageia card. the only way to get any hardware physx now is in a system that is using an Nvidia card for graphics.

CrisisDog
2nd Sep 2009, 02:15
I understand that ATI cards are no longer supported, I may not have made that clear enough.

:mad2:

My question was if this game would support using the older Ageia card with a newer Nvidia card. I read an article somewhere that stated Nvidia was planning to scrap future support of the older Ageia cards in general as the newer PhysX runtimes came out, and hardware acceleration would only work on CUDA based cards. I ask as I can't afford to purchase two video cards at this time, and wanted decent PhysX support and was really hoping the Ageia card would be of some use if I tossed out the ATI and threw in an Nvidia.

Thanks.........

trek554
2nd Sep 2009, 02:26
oh my bad. I didnt notice the part where you were going to go back to an Nvidia card. well it should still work for now but if you are going to have a good gpu like a gtx260 or better then it may not be worth the trouble. the gtx260 could probably handle both graphics and physx about as well as trying to offload physx onto the ageia card. now every game is different so it may actually help more than I am thinking but I am basing that off the fact the ageia card is not as strong an 8600gt which Nvidia says is the minimum to use as a physx card. I do know that in most cases the 8600gt does a pretty poor job as a dedicated physx card compared to a 9600gt or better.

CrisisDog
2nd Sep 2009, 03:38
I have no Nvidia cards to compare it to, but the old Ageia card holds its own very well in the PhysX map pack for Unreal Tournament 3 and Mirrors Edge. The enhanced "Heatray" level in UT3 with the hailstorm is awesome, and the second chapter in Mirrors Edge has glass particles flying all around. No slowdown with either game using the older Ageia card and older runtime kit, it's just sad to see support dropped for it when I barely got any good use out of it.

Here's a site that lists Nvidia support only for the new Batman game, but I don't know whether to take it at face value:

http://physxinfo.com/

iceman0124
2nd Sep 2009, 04:55
This game is supposed to be the flagship title for NV physx....so I would think it would remain exclusive, though there is the possibility of end user work arounds.

xloxlox
11th Mar 2010, 13:31
i made it yesterday,
had to install vista 32bits, 3 different version of physx (8.9.4 , 9.9.30 and 9.9.018 , if my memory is good), and replace a patched dll and a lot of patience
The modded PhysXDevice.dll (PhysX-mod-PPU-1.0.rar) works fine and enables you to play batman with your ati and ageia physx card ( all is explained in the readme file in the rar archive)
the only thing they dont say in the readme file is that if you try to install the drivers 8.9.4 over the other it won't work , you ve got to uninstall them before , and it's ok

i have a q6600 4870x2 and a PCI ageia , and it's pretty smooth in the "normal" physx mode
"high" is too much for it

to be noticed that : gpu-z dont tell me I have physx , but it works !!

so dont tell me anymore about nvidia and there stoopid behaviour about physx :) my ageia rules!!

if you try this , and the support for the card disappears , just check that the replaced file is still there , if not , replace it again and restart the computer

now i saw it's ok on vista , i ll try on 7 , but that could be not so easy

:whistle:

Nemesis296
11th Mar 2010, 14:14
I have an AGEIA PhysX accelerator (from 2007) and it works great with my 260GTX (nVidia) but the point is that I do get an extra PhysX boost from using the accelerator. It's not quite an SLI, just more like a dual card setup. I'm using Windows 7 as well, so it does work. If you are solely using an AGEIA card though, I suppose it would depend on how much video RAM the card has on it. The accelerator that I have is a DDR3 128MB which is paired with my DDR3 896MB 260GTX :)

jelbo
27th Apr 2010, 14:54
i made it yesterday,
had to install vista 32bits, 3 different version of physx (8.9.4 , 9.9.30 and 9.9.018 , if my memory is good), and replace a patched dll and a lot of patience
The modded PhysXDevice.dll (PhysX-mod-PPU-1.0.rar) works fine and enables you to play batman with your ati and ageia physx card ( all is explained in the readme file in the rar archive)
the only thing they dont say in the readme file is that if you try to install the drivers 8.9.4 over the other it won't work , you ve got to uninstall them before , and it's ok

i have a q6600 4870x2 and a PCI ageia , and it's pretty smooth in the "normal" physx mode
"high" is too much for it

to be noticed that : gpu-z dont tell me I have physx , but it works !!

so dont tell me anymore about nvidia and there stoopid behaviour about physx :) my ageia rules!!

if you try this , and the support for the card disappears , just check that the replaced file is still there , if not , replace it again and restart the computer

now i saw it's ok on vista , i ll try on 7 , but that could be not so easy

:whistle:

I did the same with a 2nd hand Ageia card I just bought, but I'm getting severe framedrops with PhysX on Medium. Have you noticed that as well or have I done something wrong?