PDA

View Full Version : PC or Xbox 360 - stuck on the fence

mersonix
31st Aug 2009, 15:43
Hi

I want to buy Batman Arkham Asylum but i'm not sure which system to buy it for.

I have a gaming PC - 4 gigs of RAM, a core 2 duo e8400 processor over clocked to 4.05ghz, and an 8800GT overclocked to GTX speeds as well. I run the game with max physx and graphics around 30fps

I run a 20'' 1680x1050 monitor with a surround sound 5.1 headset. I would play the game with a gamepad. That's my PC setup.

On Xbox 360 I have a 50'' plasma TV and a real 5.1 surround sound setup (not headphones).

Now, which do i buy?

Price is not an object - I find the 360 version for $50.

Additional info:
I have more free time before Mid September (detracts from PC side)
If I buy the 360 version I can get another 360 game for $30 (best buy deal) (detracts from PC)
I'm a PC fanboy and feel like buying PC games is important as the best way to talk to companies is with our $$ (detracts from xbox side)
PC is cheaper (i enjoy contradicting myself but that does detract from xbox's side.)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, i'm an american, i'm just on a netbook and jetlagged so my English may be broken, fractured, wrong, and words may be missing because when I type the touchpad clicks all over the place and goes out of my control.

Sorry-

Subjective Effect
31st Aug 2009, 16:05
The PC version on your setup will look far superior than the X360 version won't it? And its cheaper. Meh, get the PC version.

You'll also be able to mod your suit:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=92752

Oh yeah!

mersonix
31st Aug 2009, 16:15
The two versions look the same outside of physx.

I suppose my biggest concern is that i'll have far less time when the PC version releases than when I can get the Xbox 360 version (this weekend).

Also- forgot to mention this important bit. I'm sending my graphics card into Zotac for service/replacement as soon as i'm able to (a few days) and there's no telling when i'll have it back.

I'm now leaning towards 360 now that i realize that...

Outside of physx- is there anything that makes the PC better than the Xbox 360

Henke123
31st Aug 2009, 16:20
Outside of physx- is there anything that makes the PC better than the Xbox 360Mods!

And probably better textures and graphics, but I'm not sure how big the difference is.

SteMot
31st Aug 2009, 16:20
The two versions look the same outside of physx.

I suppose my biggest concern is that i'll have far less time when the PC version releases than when I can get the Xbox 360 version (this weekend).

Also- forgot to mention this important bit. I'm sending my graphics card into Zotac for service/replacement as soon as i'm able to (a few days) and there's no telling when i'll have it back.

I'm now leaning towards 360 now that i realize that...

Outside of physx- is there anything that makes the PC better than the Xbox 360

Nothing outside higher resolutions and crisper graphics.

Asurat
31st Aug 2009, 17:35
better graphics, access to 2 different types of controllers (Gamepad & Keyboard + mouse) Physx support, moddable suits / stuff, makes my choice easy anyhow, go for PC! :)

iceman0124
31st Aug 2009, 19:00
I highly doubt you'll get full physx with an 8800GT and the game maxed out. In the demo it reccomends a GTX 260 PLUS a 9800GTX+ for full physx. That said my single GTX 260 runs the demo with what physx is enabled, max settings 16xQAA and forced 16xAF in the NCP and runs like butter at 1680x1050.

Even without full physx, the game will likely be a better experience on the PC, comparing my PC to both my PS3 and 360....The PS3 looks like it was set at medium with a few bits at high, the 360 was a little better, but still much lower textures and blander environments. On my PC , in game graphics look far better than the prerendered cut scenes.

Check this thread out if you dont mind spending a little extra scratch on a new card for cheap

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=94549

Evermind
31st Aug 2009, 19:08
Honestly, there is no simple answer, there are pros to both.

Xbox Pros:
Playing it on a big screen is nice, just because it's big.
You stick the game in and it just works.
You can relax while you play.

Xbox Cons:
None by itself, only when you compare it to PC.

PC Pros:
Potential for crisper, higher resolution textures. (Assuming your rig can handle it)
Closer to the screen, you notice all of the little details much easier.
PhysX if you're into that (IMO, it's actually a nice touch, like in the demo when you fly down to glide kick Zsasz all of the tiles break where you guys impact and there's a nice little crater of shattered tiles (and you hear the tiles cracking too). Nice effect imo.)
Tweaks by the PC community (like costumes, action cam while glide kicking, and probably more to come)

PC Cons:
Trying to max this game while maintaining high frames.

I have trouble running everything on Max, w/ Max PhysX, except only 2xAA @ 1920x1080 with i7 920 @ 4.0GHz and SLi GTX 260 c216's. (Get about 35FPS in the last room in the demo (with the flags). At 35FPS with Vsync on you can notice some stuttering, with Vsync off I get image tearing. Makes me want to upgrade....if you can get by with 30FPS - then I guess this wouldn't really be a Con for everyone.

Only logical answer though, is to get it for both. I enjoyed the x360 version, but I think I'm going to enjoy playing it on PC even more. I normally would not do this at all, but I think that this game has great replay value - so it will be worth it.

mersonix
31st Aug 2009, 21:12
Well, i just reconsidered a few things and decided to buy for Xbox 360.

1. I'm RMAing my Graphics Card, meaning no PC use let alone gaming for a week +
2. I like my big plasma TV which is higher res than my monitor and my couch and surround sound is a nice touch.
3. THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT: My schedule shifts drastically mid september so there's no guarantee if i'll be able to play because of more work.

Botiquita
9th Sep 2009, 21:43
PC without doubt.

There is one very strong reason (if you have the right rig):

60 glorious fps is a whole different ball game. 30 fps make you cry, literally speaking.

Paulley
10th Sep 2009, 09:29
Connect your PC to the large LCD TV screen... sorted!