PDA

View Full Version : Sli issues please help!

clean14
31st Aug 2009, 04:58
http://sites.google.com/site/storespicssite/pics/BMGAMESLI.bmp?attredirects=0

is this normal? i when i play this game with my 260 GTX SLI rig with one core 216 and one original i get only a max of 62 fps in this game with vsync forced off on both the game and the nvidia profile and when i get into the battle scene at the start of the demo i get only a max of 40fps with lows of 30fps. and when in battle moments the sli bar does not seem to work nearly as hard as it does in calm zones as shown in the pic.

my rig is as follows,

Phenom II 945 @ 3.0GHz

260 SLI

780a SLI motherboard (if you need the model just ask)

4GB of 1066MHz DDR2

750W PSU

as you can see i have more than enough to run this game at full settings, ive also ensured that sli is working by trying other games

http://sites.google.com/site/storespicssite/pics/ut3%20fixed.bmp?attredirects=0

http://sites.google.com/site/storespicssite/_/rsrc/1251694959339/pics/sli%20bioshock.bmp

both at all maxed settings with the same config and i know bioshock is a dated game but sli seems to work really well in it.

so what im getting at is this normal for this demo in its current state, is something wrong with my config, or is something else at play here? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance :)

clean14
31st Aug 2009, 05:19
just before anyone says this, i do have the latest drivers and i have also used the evga sli patch but i don't think it had any profiles made for batman

lostsomething
31st Aug 2009, 06:34
Try turning sli off and setting the secondary card to PhysX processing, see if that works better for you.

clean14
31st Aug 2009, 06:57
Try turning sli off and setting the secondary card to PhysX processing, see if that works better for you.

you are correct, it runs at a stable 62 (cap). shouldn't SLI be more efficient in handling physx processing rather than having the secondary card only be used for physx?

lostsomething
31st Aug 2009, 07:08
you are correct, it runs at a stable 62 (cap). shouldn't SLI be more efficient in handling physx processing rather than having the secondary card only be used for physx?

Difficulty of splitting the calculations across the two cards evenly, I guess.

Same story in Mirror's Edge.
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/mirrors_edge_physx_performance/page7.asp

A GTX 260 + a 9600 GT beats 260 sli.

clean14
31st Aug 2009, 07:14
Difficulty of splitting the calculations across the two cards evenly, I guess.

thanks so much for the information, now i know its not just me lol :D

Evermind
31st Aug 2009, 18:26
I'm having the same issues as OP.
i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
SLi GTX 260 c216's
6gb ddr3
850w Corsair

1920x1080 - Max settings/Max PhysX (other than AA, which is 2x)

I get about 35FPS in the last room in the demo when looking at the cloth flags hanging from the beams. With Vsync On, this causes a pretty noticeable stutter when panning the room (Probably caused by trying to keep up with the 60Hz refresh) and with Vsync Off, I get image tearing.

Not sure what to do - I was hoping SLi 260's would be able to run this 50+ FPS.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from that link.

At 1600x1200, 260+9600 only beats out 260 SLi by .2 fps.

At 1900x1200, 260+9600 loses to 260 SLi by 1.6 fps.

IMO, they are pretty comparable with no clear winner. Although one is probably a lot cheaper than the other, it is also a lot less flexible as you cannot SLi a 260+9600 for other non-PhysX games.

Acroma
31st Aug 2009, 19:44
The game has a setting called Min/Max FPS smoothing..

32 is the min 62 is the max.

I'd give a path but I don't have the demo installed.

Evermind
31st Aug 2009, 19:48
The game has a setting called Min/Max FPS smoothing..

32 is the min 62 is the max.

I'd give a path but I don't have the demo installed.

What does this do exactly?
Is it tweakable? or just an On/Off sort of thing?

Acroma
31st Aug 2009, 19:55
What does this do exactly?
Is it tweakable? or just an On/Off sort of thing?

It has a true false setting or you can change the Min/Max FPS in it. I'm not sure if it does a filecheck to overwrite it tho.

lostsomething
1st Sep 2009, 09:56
I'm having the same issues as OP.
i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
SLi GTX 260 c216's
6gb ddr3
850w Corsair

1920x1080 - Max settings/Max PhysX (other than AA, which is 2x)

I get about 35FPS in the last room in the demo when looking at the cloth flags hanging from the beams. With Vsync On, this causes a pretty noticeable stutter when panning the room (Probably caused by trying to keep up with the 60Hz refresh) and with Vsync Off, I get image tearing.

Not sure what to do - I was hoping SLi 260's would be able to run this 50+ FPS.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from that link.

At 1600x1200, 260+9600 only beats out 260 SLi by .2 fps.

At 1900x1200, 260+9600 loses to 260 SLi by 1.6 fps.

IMO, they are pretty comparable with no clear winner. Although one is probably a lot cheaper than the other, it is also a lot less flexible as you cannot SLi a 260+9600 for other non-PhysX games.

I'd suggest 1.6 fps is likely within the margin of error.

The point is simply that if you do have an sli setup you'll probably get better results setting one card to physx than trying to run with sli on. I'm not suggesting buying say a 9600 GT for PhysX work - I've got one but simply because it's my old video card.

My specs are pretty close to yours (i7 920 not oc'd, gtx 275 + 9600 GT) and the only time the framerate catches at all in is when you start breaking up walls.

Evermind
1st Sep 2009, 14:57
I'd suggest 1.6 fps is likely within the margin of error.

The point is simply that if you do have an sli setup you'll probably get better results setting one card to physx than trying to run with sli on. I'm not suggesting buying say a 9600 GT for PhysX work - I've got one but simply because it's my old video card.

My specs are pretty close to yours (i7 920 not oc'd, gtx 275 + 9600 GT) and the only time the framerate catches at all in is when you start breaking up walls.

I see. That's strange that it's only when tiles break. My slowdowns only happen in the last room with the cloth banners hanging from the ceiling.

Too bad I can't find a way to run my second gtx 260 as a PhysX card. I even took the SLi bridge completely off. I guess you can't do it with two of the exact same cards.

lostsomething
1st Sep 2009, 21:05
I see. That's strange that it's only when tiles break. My slowdowns only happen in the last room with the cloth banners hanging from the ceiling.

Too bad I can't find a way to run my second gtx 260 as a PhysX card. I even took the SLi bridge completely off. I guess you can't do it with two of the exact same cards.

You can, nVidia control panel, sli configuration = off, physx configuration = enabled on the second card.

Evermind
1st Sep 2009, 21:17
You can, nVidia control panel, sli configuration = off, physx configuration = enabled on the second card.

I've tried that. This is what I did:

Opened nVidia control panel
Made sure Do not use SLi was checked.
Applied changes
Rebooted
Opened nVidia control panel, enabled PhysX, applied changes, but to the right of PhysX I don't get the drop down like I've seen in some screen shots that allows me to select a dedicated PhysX card.
Rebooted again, just in case.
Still no drop down next to PhysX in the control panel and still poor performance in-game in the room with the banners/flags.

I have also tried the above without an SLi bridge present.

I just read that I may need to connect a monitor to each card, for whatever reason, before the drivers will recognize it as a non-SLi config and give me the drop down. I'll try that later tonight...

Evermind
2nd Sep 2009, 05:42
Ok, well - I can now run the entire Demo at a constant 60 FPS - barring the 1-3 FPS hiccups here and there and with 4xAA now.

So, Max Settings, High PhysX, 4xAA @ 1920x1080 on 190.62 drivers.

Strangely, what you suggested, lostsomething, works now - but only after doing this:
(OP, if you can't maintain a constant 60 FPS by simply doing what lostsomething suggested, then I recommend you try the steps that I did)

1) Remove SLi bridge
2) Hook up a monitor to gtx 260 #1
3) Hook up a different monitor to gtx 260 #2
4) Boot into Windows (I'm running 7 x64 RC)
5) nVidia notification message should pop in system tray (even if you don't run the system tray icon [on 190.62's anyway]) saying that SLi is off, but the system will continue to run in Multi-GPU mode.
6) Open nVidia control panel, and make sure SLi is set to Do not use (if it isn't already.)
7) Set PhysX to enabled, if it isn't already. (Note: I still didn't get a drop down to select a specific PhysX card, but this ended up being a non-factor)
8) At this point, I started up Batman and played the game - Constant 60 FPS even in the room with the hanging banners/flags. (This step isn't necessary - I just wanted to test the performance)
9) Power down, re-attach SLi bridge
10) Boot up again, and now you should be able to switch between SLi and non-SLi modes as necessary and maintain the constant 60FPS in Batman with SLi off and PhysX on.

Hope this helps, would be nice to hear from OP again though to confirm either method.

Botiquita
3rd Sep 2009, 04:20
Thank you for the tip. It is a totally different game at a constant 60 fps. The fights are unbelievable awesome!!

PC gaming rules.

Evermind
3rd Sep 2009, 05:34
Thank you for the tip. It is a totally different game at a constant 60 fps. The fights are unbelievable awesome!!

PC gaming rules.

Did you have to go through all the mess that I went through or did simply turning off SLi and enabling PhysX work for you?

Botiquita
3rd Sep 2009, 11:44
I simply turned off Sli and enabled Physx on the Nvidia Control Panel.