PDA

View Full Version : I was finally able to read All Star Batman and Robin Issues 1-9

Mr_Scarecrow_Goes_To_Town
30th Aug 2009, 05:22
And I must say...I kind of liked it. :scratch:

Sure, it doesn't have the depth and complexity of DKR but it isn't as terrible as people make it out to be. Even the 'Goddamn Batman' lines didn't mess it up for me.

So far it's actually good. I'm getting used to Batman's sadistic nature I guess.

I don't know, what do you all think of it?

SolidSnake_123
30th Aug 2009, 05:33
I think it was a big OK, ya know? It wasn't like a emmy award winning story, but it was.. ok. I mean, I like how they described batman but the lines got a bit repetitive

Story: Decent.
Art: Good.

I would give it a 7.0 out of 10.

Old_BenKenobi
30th Aug 2009, 05:42
It was ok. It's a bit better when you realize that for the first half Batman is being completely psycho just to scare Robin and distract him. When you get rid of that psychopathic nature you're left with a very bitter Bat, which I don't mind. But it has a fair few boring stretches.

The art is fantastic though. I love how Lee altered his usual Batman model to resemble Frank Miller's. Notice on the cover of the first issue, with Batman swinging, his head is in shadow. And what does it resemble? One of the covers for TDKR. Cool.

30th Aug 2009, 05:43
I think it was a big OK, ya know? It wasn't like a emmy award winning story, but it was.. ok. I mean, I like how they described batman but the lines got a bit repetitive

Story: Decent.
Art: Good.

I would give it a 7.0 out of 10.

I think Frank Miller is kind of going through a phase where he makes more shallow and satirical work. I hope for his and my sake that he can return to his DKR mindset and make another Batman epic. I loathed DKSA and like you said, All Star Batman and Robin is OK, barely good. Although after seeing his treatment of The Spirit, I'm really worried.

Old_BenKenobi
30th Aug 2009, 05:46
Frank Miller seems to have gone off his rocker.

SolidSnake_123
30th Aug 2009, 05:51
I think Frank Miller is kind of going through a phase where he makes more shallow and satirical work. I hope for his and my sake that he can return to his DKR mindset and make another Batman epic. I loathed DKSA and like you said, All Star Batman and Robin is OK, barely good. Although after seeing his treatment of The Spirit, I'm really worried.

Yeah I agree, he does need to get back on track.

Old_BenKenobi
30th Aug 2009, 05:58
It seems that he just makes things as grim as possible because of how much acclaim he got for TDKR and Sin City.

SolidSnake_123
30th Aug 2009, 06:07
It seems that he just makes things as grim as possible because of how much acclaim he got for TDKR and Sin City.

Yeah, its really weird...

Old_BenKenobi
30th Aug 2009, 06:11
I guess he thinks "Well they hired Frank Miller... so I'm gonna Millerize it!"

Truthfully, I'd love to see Miller do a big run on Batman. His Batman. The events leading up to TDKR. But... not after Allstar B+R. It seems like for every plus there's a big minus. Though I love the imagery of Batman drinking lemonade to intimidate Green Lantern, I didn't like him punching **** Grayson, 12 years old into a brick wall.

SolidSnake_123
30th Aug 2009, 06:15
I guess he thinks "Well they hired Frank Miller... so I'm gonna Millerize it!"

Truthfully, I'd love to see Miller do a big run on Batman. His Batman. The events leading up to TDKR. But... not after Allstar B+R. It seems like for every plus there's a big minus. Though I love the imagery of Batman drinking lemonade to intimidate Green Lantern, I didn't like him punching **** Grayson, 12 years old into a brick wall.

Yeah that was uncalled for lol

Drazar
30th Aug 2009, 06:49
All Star Batman and Robin is very underrated if you ask me. When you look at the big character development of Batman from the optimistic apprentice he was in Year One... to the near psycho because of all the lunatics he had to fight ALONE in All Star Batman and then finally TDKR where he had retired and forces himself to return.... I really like the big development from all the eras.

Argel319
31st Aug 2009, 00:12
I loved All Star, it's on my top 3 favorite Batman graphic novels ever.
I really liked the sadistic Batman that'll kick the criminals and the cops' asses. The yellow part was awesome. Not much to the story, but if you just want to see Batman be a badass, then this is a great read. :cool:

31st Aug 2009, 03:27
I loved All Star, it's on my top 3 favorite Batman graphic novels ever.
I really liked the sadistic Batman that'll kick the criminals and the cops' asses. The yellow part was awesome. Not much to the story, but if you just want to see Batman be a badass, then this is a great read. :cool:

I actually shared the same mindset as I was reading it, and yet as I began to think about it, it unraveled. I too like the sadistic side of Batman and yet, when I read a Batman graphic novel, I crave substance, like what Miller did with DKR. If I wanted something shallow as far as plot, I'd read Spidey and Obama 2: Even More S-h-i-t-e. :p

Old_BenKenobi
31st Aug 2009, 07:07
I personally think a Batman thats psycho and sadistic for the sake of it is about as entertaining as a Batman of pure camp. Both are just good for silly, goofy humour.