PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking my AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core 3.0GHz help but safest way?

josephfelice
29th Aug 2009, 19:44
I want this game to run the best on my pc when I get the new cpu finally arrives.

I just found out my system can be overclocked to like 3.7 ghz, but I don't know how I read it on another website. I don't want to go that high though since I'm pretty sure it will burn up. I'd like to reach like 3.3 or 3.4 ghz though if its safe enough. Anyone good at overclocking at what is the best program for me to use?

trek554
29th Aug 2009, 20:42
well I believe this is a game forum and not really a technical hardware forum. you are unlikely to find that many people that know anything about overclocking on here. I have no experience with ocing that cpu or I would help.

btw what does the rest of your system look like?

josephfelice
29th Aug 2009, 21:06
Amd Athlon II X2 250 dual 3 ghz

Geforce 8800gts 320mb

Some people say that I will be able to run at really high resolutions but I also want to be able to use physX at the highest settings. Like I don't want to play physx at normal or lower. I want to see all the special effects

trek554
29th Aug 2009, 21:31
Amd Athlon II X2 250 dual 3 ghz

Geforce 8800gts 320mb

Some people say that I will be able to run at really high resolutions but I also want to be able to use physX at the highest settings. Like I don't want to play physx at normal or lower. I want to see all the special effects overclocking your cpu isnt going to help you play at higher res and actually your cpu at stock speeds is a good match for your 8800gts 320mb. you will not be running very high settings and high physx with with 8800gts 320mb at least not smoothly. 320mb is not enough for most modern games above 1280 res. also your gpu is less than half the power of the gtx260 which is the recommended card just for normal physx. you can get by with high physx on a gtx260 if its overclocked a bit or you arent at a very high res and you have a decent cpu too.

the pc in my sig can only average about 40-45 fps with very high settings and high physx