PDA

View Full Version : Review PAL Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 15:00
Wanted to give a short review of the Collector's Edition I received today. It's the Dutch version for the Xbox 360.

1. The Box: Just a standard cardboard box that shows the batarang when it's closed, nothing fancy.

2. The Batarang: Looks cool, but as said, not as cool as the images we saw a while back. The "used" look, I'm not to happy about that. It's completely scratched, looks like someone took a key to it. I'd rather have a "new" batarang, than at least I'd have the option to scratch it myself. On the other hand, from a distance, the scratches aren't that clearly visible. :hmm:

3. The Journal: Quite disappointed with this. Just a normal cover, no fancy leather one. Outside also looks "used" with some fake stains on it and some small scratches, which looks kinda cool, but I would have preferred the leather cover. The inside is great, info on a lot of characters, gonna read that tonight :D

4. The Game Case: Really disappointed. A cardboard case that contains the two dvd's. No slipcover, the manual is separate', can't put them together. Has one of those Microsoft stickers on the side, that leaves a sticky spot. Hopefully not to hard to get off.

5. Bonus code: Just a code, no sticker like I saw in some video's off American unboxings.

Overall: Really disappointed, this version is cr*p compared to what the Americans are getting and I ask, why? I paid €83,- for this and it's definitely not worth it.

Here's some photo's btw: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30485326@N03/sets/72157622034420675/

Clown Prince Of Crime
27th Aug 2009, 15:03
Thank's for the review and picture's Chromath.

I gotta say, it dosn't look as good as the US version, but everything still look's pretty neat to me.

I just hope it'll arrive for me on release date.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 15:12
I really want to know why we get this unfinished collector's edition I hope Keir can tell us because it doesn't sound good still getting mine.

Oh and we don't get the stickers? Oh man I was going to stick that on my laptop.

Elpy
27th Aug 2009, 15:17
Wow, disappointing by the sound of things. The case, especially. Jesus, what were they thinking?

Bob Kane
27th Aug 2009, 15:55
Wanted to give a short review of the Collector's Edition I received today. It's the Dutch version for the Xbox 360.

1. The Box: Just a standard cardboard box that shows the batarang when it's closed, nothing fancy.

2. The Batarang: Looks cool, but as said, not as cool as the images we saw a while back. The "used" look, I'm not to happy about that. It's completely scratched, looks like someone took a key to it. I'd rather have a "new" batarang, than at least I'd have the option to scratch it myself. On the other hand, from a distance, the scratches aren't that clearly visible. :hmm:

3. The Journal: Quite disappointed with this. Just a normal cover, no fancy leather one. Outside also looks "used" with some fake stains on it and some small scratches, which looks kinda cool, but I would have preferred the leather cover. The inside is great, info on a lot of characters, gonna read that tonight :D

4. The Game Case: Really disappointed. A cardboard case that contains the two dvd's. No slipcover, the manual is separate', can't put them together. Has one of those Microsoft stickers on the side, that leaves a sticky spot. Hopefully not to hard to get off.

5. Bonus code: Just a code, no sticker like I saw in some video's off American unboxings.

Overall: Really disappointed, this version is cr*p compared to what the Americans are getting and I ask, why? I paid €83,- for this and it's definitely not worth it.

Here's some photo's btw: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30485326@N03/sets/72157622034420675/
Holy mother, ... is horrible :eek::mad2:
especially the case of the game :(
I do not understand why this discrimination against us Europeans than Americans market!!!! :mad2:
Maybe our money worth less?:confused::mad2:

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 16:18
dam I hate the marketing

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 16:25
The game itself is fantastic though... :D

Keir
27th Aug 2009, 16:34
Hi guys. Sorry to hear some of you are disappointed. I should stress that although the presentation is a bit different the content is the same (apart from the stickers, but I'll ask for a wad of those to give away).

I've got a statement on this for you....

We believe the European CE still offers a huge collectability value to Batman fans with its exclusive contents, the reason for the difference is that if we included the leather bound journal and US box for the European CE, we would have been looking at a price far higher than the US $100 SRP. This is for many different logistical, operational and retail driven reasons and is why many goods in the US are cheaper than they are in Europe. We wanted to offer an exclusive, collectible edition but not force fans to pay above the odds for the opportunity to own a piece of Batman history. It’s important to remember that the content is just the same and it’s only the presentation which differs.

Elpy
27th Aug 2009, 16:42
What about the slipcase? We don't even get one of those.

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 17:06
Thanks for the statement Keir.
If you don't compare this Collector's Edition to the American one it's still a really cool package, but is's so disappointing if you do compare it. It's such a toned down version from the American one, they even get a better manual (Full-colored and ours isn´t) and I do think we should have had atleast some small extra thing like the slipcase or even the colored manual.

Clown Prince Of Crime
27th Aug 2009, 17:07
If you don't compare this Collector's Edition to the American one it's still a really cool package, but is's so disappointing if you do compare it. It's such a toned down version from the American one, they even get a better manual (Full-colored and ours isn´t) and I do think we should have had atleast some small extra thing like the slipcase or even the colored manual.

We do get full-coloured... Don't we???

DarkLionheart
27th Aug 2009, 17:13

I agree mate, I'd really like a slipcase just so I can put it with my other games, a wooden box wih no name on the spine will look really out of place in my collection. Is there any way we would be able to get a slipcase?

CaptainMcMulla
27th Aug 2009, 17:16
Really dissapointed to hear this. Shouldve been better. Maybe next time they will improve upon it.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 17:21

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 17:29
We do get full-coloured... Don't we???

Nope...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/3862705296_94d8901ba6.jpg

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 17:32
Nope...

Ok I know they couldn't include some things but they couldn't include something so small as that.:mad2:

Clown Prince Of Crime
27th Aug 2009, 17:34
Nope...

OH MY GOD :mad2:

I was looking forward to the colour manual.

Something so small couldn't have effected the price that much could it ?

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 17:37
That's what I said lol.

DEVIL W0LF
27th Aug 2009, 17:37
Nope...

This is so crap im so fed up about this, i'm starting to wish i never ordered the CE and just go down to my local shop and get the SE as with any other game :(

Clown Prince Of Crime
27th Aug 2009, 17:38
That's what I said lol.

I know, But I elaborated on it and talked about the price :p

I kid, I kid.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 17:41
lol cool, but so mad about the manual I know it not really a important thing but still.

Clown Prince Of Crime
27th Aug 2009, 17:43
lol cool, but so mad about the manual I know it not really a important thing but still.

I know, it looked nice with the colour.

It made it great to look at.

ben2571
27th Aug 2009, 17:43
Nope...

OMG thats pants im picking mine up tomorrow but iv got a credit note to spend on it so not to bad but this does look pants compared to the US version

Nemesis296
27th Aug 2009, 17:49

Hey you have the same Logitech sound system as me I think! Z-550?

Elpy
27th Aug 2009, 17:49
Alright, let me just elaborate.
* 14" Batarang with stand - Scratched and made poorly
* Arkham Doctor's Journal - No leather cover
* Digipack sleeve packaging - No slip cover
* Behind-the-Scenes DVD - Probably just recycled material
* Code for downloadable Challenge Map (exclusive "Crime Alley" map)
* Full-colour manual - No colour at all

So essentially, the only solid, undisappointing thing we have is Crime Alley. Which might still suck.

Clown Prince Of Crime
27th Aug 2009, 17:52
Yeah, it's completely stupid they'd advertise that full colour manual, and then not give it to us.

I might aswell cancel my CE and get a SE from Game, then just wait for Crime Alley to be made into DLC.

But even if it isn't, I won't lose any sleep.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 17:52
I know, it looked nice with the colour.

It made it great to look at.

Yep am sick of black & white it should be in colour for SE and CE and every game should do it.

kuroshi
27th Aug 2009, 17:55
This is the worst CE I have ever purchased. I often purchase them as many of the items look great on the shelf of my office. It's not the scratches, it's the cheap plastic batarange for $40. I am horrified and this will probably be last CE that I but from any of the companies involved in this fiasco. Can't believe that a company would stick it to it's most dedicated consumer this way.

Bob Kane
27th Aug 2009, 18:07
Nope...

This is really ridiculous:eek:
what happened???:confused:
finished the colored ink:lol:

I buy the U.S. version from Amazon:mad2:

ben2571
27th Aug 2009, 18:08
This is the worst CE I have ever purchased. I often purchase them as many of the items look great on the shelf of my office. It's not the scratches, it's the cheap plastic batarange for $40. I am horrified and this will probably be last CE that I but from any of the companies involved in this fiasco. Can't believe that a company would stick it to it's most dedicated consumer this way.

I second your opinion dude about the batarang dude but dont think its the worst CE ever gears 2 was pretty pants but yet again they didnt offer anything that looked as good as what was sposed to be in the batman AA CE :(

The_Clown_Prince_Of_Crime
27th Aug 2009, 19:30
I think my colleague summed it up best.you wouldn't pay £60 for a happy meal,you wouldn't pay £60 for this.I don't blame anyone other than the makers of the batarang itself,both Rocksteady & Eidos have made one of the games of the year & I bet they are just as pissed off as us that something that should have complimented their work has taken the edge off instead.But whatever,I downsized to the SE version and took the extra cash I'd saved to the comic store and am putting the rest towards Wet.It makes no difference to me,I'm still gonna be playing ARKHAM ASYLUM tomorrow =)

Elpy
27th Aug 2009, 19:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7HwZ6E9PY

French Collector's Edition unboxing.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 19:51
Thanks for putting that video up Elpy it’s seemed to be a little different to the Greek one the French has colour manual.

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 19:54

Only difference with the Dutch CE is the manual.

Elpy
27th Aug 2009, 19:55
Yeah, the manual also matches the journal and game case rather than just having the box art on it. I'd still prefer a slip case, though. The one we get doesn't even shut properly.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 19:58
Yeah, the manual also matches the journal and game case rather than just having the box art on it. I'd still prefer a slip case, though. The one we get doesn't even shut properly.

Yeah I wanted the slip case as well it doesn't look like a batman game without it :(.

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 20:02
Yeah I wanted the slip case as well it doesn't look like a batman game without it :(.

Yeah and it just doesn't really fit with my other games.

batman4747
27th Aug 2009, 20:06
.Yeah I was thinking the same thing like you can see all the games then you come across a brown case that has no label of the games name on it lol.

ChaunceyAbignail
27th Aug 2009, 20:17
Wow, you PAL folk really got bent over and rammed several times with this edition.

I sorta regret purchasing the CE here in the States, but I would definitely be returning the version you guys got.

What a shame.

DarkLionheart
27th Aug 2009, 20:48
Cheers for this thread guys, you've helped me make up my mind. As soon as my CE is delivered tomorrow I'm off to GAME in town to change it for an SE. I'll get my extra £20 back and spend it on another game instead. I wouldn't have bothered with the hassle and just kept it if it had just had a slipcase but leaving out even this basic item has just made me realise that for me, it simply isn't worth the extra money and I'd much rather have another game instead.

Sumsar
27th Aug 2009, 20:50
Hi guys. Sorry to hear some of you are disappointed. I should stress that although the presentation is a bit different the content is the same (apart from the stickers, but I'll ask for a wad of those to give away).

"the reason for the difference is that if we included the leather bound journal and US box for the European CE, we would have been looking at a price far higher than the US $100 SRP"

Ok whats bull****....100 US $ yeaear right....overhere the CE cost 153 US $ and we can't even get the slipcover with the game design.....:mad2:

sharpy_4
27th Aug 2009, 20:58
Hmm it almost sounds like from that statement Eidos made, to make the US edition not too expensive they cheapened the PAL edition. All materials would be bought and assembled in the same region, with the standard extra cost for shipping etc.

Whatever the reason, its really really disapointing. So disapointing I'm cancelling my preorder and switching to the standard.

yobro03
27th Aug 2009, 21:01
I wonder if the PC collectors edition will be the same as the console ones???

the_magicbus
27th Aug 2009, 21:05
The Americans get a better version that I can live with as the photos clearly showed that was the case. I made the decision that it was still good enough anyway.

I wish we'd have gotten the cooler box, the stickers, the very cool looking journal but I knew I wasn't gonna get that cause of the photo.

But when the photo of what you're buying is this...

http://uk2.shopto.net/screenshots/PS3BA09/A.jpg

...and you don't get the game box it clearly shows or a batarang model that looks nothing like the one shown... Isn't this a Trades Description Act issue?

I haven't received mine yet and I've not heard about the PS3 version but if its the same as the 360 stories I'm hearing I'm gonna be gutted :(

DEVIL W0LF
27th Aug 2009, 22:01

I wonder why this French collectors edition got a colour jounal and "Cromath" in the Netherlands got a black and white one ?

Edit: Has anyone from the UK got there CE yet ?

Chromath
27th Aug 2009, 22:04
I wonder why this French collectors edition got a colour jounal and "Cromath" in the Netherlands got a black and white one ?

Edit: Has anyone from the UK got there CE yet ?

Remember, the gamemanual is in black and white. The Doctor's Journal, thankfully, is in full color.

DEVIL W0LF
27th Aug 2009, 22:13
Remember, the gamemanual is in black and white. The Doctor's Journal, thankfully, is in full color.

Ok thanks, still strange though we are all part of the EU so everyone should get the same.

nanotech1
28th Aug 2009, 01:54

Hi, i'm not bothered about the box, manual, or batarang at all, but, is there any way of getting a slip cover from eidos? The missing cover and stickers just won't do.

Szmajdzik
28th Aug 2009, 10:13
I`m still waitng for my CE and to this moment I was certain that manual is full color. Damn it !!
And no stickers but just a code on piece of paper. **** damn it !! !!
Now I`m really sad.

Batman fan from Poland.

malakian
28th Aug 2009, 10:29
I have to agree. I loved the demo and preordered the CE on the strength of the leather-style cover promised, and the bumper sticker - both things missing from the pal version. The box it all comes in is leagues behind the US release and the lack of the leather cover when GAME's site kind of promised it is just ridiculous.

I seriously hope eidos read this disappointment, as it is far beyond the batarang being plastic. We were promised much more - the game doesn't even have a slip case!

I bought fallout 3's collectors edition for 7 pounds less than this and got a metal lunchbox, solid pip-boy bobble head, keyring with a little pip boy figure on it, a soundtrack CD, a hardback concept art book and the game itself. With collectors editions like this, how can Eidos think it is okay to charge that enormous price for this product?

Sorry my first post is a complaint, and I'm sure the game will be fantastic so I don't want to seem like it is an attack on any of the developers, but i think the marketing people who sorted this for the PAL territory should be ashamed of themselves. In this economy £60 isn't a small sum (it wouldn't be anyway), but this certainly is a small reward.

- Alex, Jaded customer.

Henke123
28th Aug 2009, 10:32
Ok thanks, still strange though we are all part of the EU so everyone should get the same.
Maybe the manuals are different because they are printed in different locations depending on what language they are translated to.

Sumsar
28th Aug 2009, 10:54
Im from Denmark and my manual is also colored.... I got the Xbox CE....but from the unboxing videos i have seen...it looks like the ps3 CE only got the black and white manual and the xbox CE got the colored one :scratch:

simplebob
28th Aug 2009, 11:09
on www.play.com the description for UK version for both XBox and PS3 clearly states full colour manual:

Collector's Edition contents:
14" Batarang with stand (matches in-game design)
Arkham Doctor's Journal - 48 pages of notes on Arkham's inmates
Digipack sleeve packaging
Behind-the-Scenes DVD
Code for downloadable Challenge Map (exclusive "Crime Alley" map)
Full-colour manual

Mine was despatched yesterday and waiting to see what turns up.....

Vincentdante
28th Aug 2009, 11:09
I got PS3 CE (I live in UK) and I got the coloured manual. Sounds like a random chance lottery draw.

Sumsar
28th Aug 2009, 12:59
on www.play.com the description for UK version for both XBox and PS3 clearly states full colour manual:

Collector's Edition contents:
14" Batarang with stand (matches in-game design)
Arkham Doctor's Journal - 48 pages of notes on Arkham's inmates
Digipack sleeve packaging
Behind-the-Scenes DVD
Code for downloadable Challenge Map (exclusive "Crime Alley" map)
Full-colour manual

Mine was despatched yesterday and waiting to see what turns up.....

"Digipack sleeve packaging"....woooow and where is the god damn sleeve to put over the game.....damn it :mad2:

Andy0011
28th Aug 2009, 17:48
What are the chances of being able to get a slipcase from Eidos then?

If all else fails I suppose I could just get a 2 disc dvd case and print off a scan of the regular artwork but damn when I get a CE's I at the very least expect a digipack to have a slipcase :(

DarkLionheart
28th Aug 2009, 18:06
What are the chances of being able to get a slipcase from Eidos then?

If all else fails I suppose I could just get a 2 disc dvd case and print off a scan of the regular artwork but damn when I get a CE's I at the very least expect a digipack to have a slipcase :(

Same here pal it is quite disappointing, I'm hoping we'll be able to get one from Eidos some way. Hell I wouldn't even mind paying a few quid for one, I'd just like to be able to put this game with the rest of my collection.

the_magicbus
28th Aug 2009, 19:50
Mine arrived and in all fairness had a colour manual. I think like a few others I'm a bit gutted we didn't have a proper box with the Collector's Edition to put with our other games. If a suitable way becomes available it may go a LONG way to easing this problem.

Still, great game though!

Adache
28th Aug 2009, 20:06
I have to agree that I am disappointed with the CE, if I had known it would be like this, I would have just got the standard one and bought the DLC later. Then found the arkham journal on ebay for a tenner.

The batarang is very shoddy looking and I am not sure why they thought a scratched up 'used' look would be good. No leather dustjacket for the journal and it's a shame we don't get the special bat-shaped box. I also don't like the digipack game case, it is bigger then the rest of my game cases and I can just about fit it into the space. I am tempted to just get a standard edition second hand and use that to sit alongside my games, whilst the CE version sits in its box. Yeah, I have more money then sense...

One thing though, my manual was in full colour, maybe they ran out of colour ink at the printers? XD

The game however......I can't fault it, it's absolutely fantastic, shame that this great game didn't get the high quality, that the pictures made it out to be, CE version that it deserved.

This game is doing so well, I am sure Eidos will make enough money to compensate us CE purchasers somehow. Free DLC maybe? A leather dust jacket? A new batarang? Who knows! ;)

EDIT: Just to be clear, that last statement was me being cheeky, I know full well nothing will probably happen and some people might think my slight whinge was idiotic, but hey, if you pay for something, you expect a certain level of quality if you shell out a bit extra. Never mind, it hasn't dented my enjoyment of the game itself one bit.

konradsmash
28th Aug 2009, 20:51
my code in the ce box didnt work for my 360 kept saying its been used

crap!

SuperchargedNL
29th Aug 2009, 09:11

Dude, who needs stickers, we want a decent slip cover/dvd-case so the manual doesn't fall out of the box every f%$^ing time!

Sumsar
29th Aug 2009, 10:22
Dude, who needs stickers, we want a decent slip cover/dvd-case so the manual doesn't fall out of the box every f%$^ing time!

Yes a slipcover is what we need...can't believe they removed the game slipcover from the CE PAL version, ist so stupid....what there they thinking :mad2:

Turn and Face the Strange
29th Aug 2009, 11:00
...What's everyone saying about the CE manual being black and white? Mine is in colour.

Szmajdzik
29th Aug 2009, 11:22
I have to agree. I loved the demo and preordered the CE on the strength of the leather-style cover promised, and the bumper sticker - both things missing from the pal version. The box it all comes in is leagues behind the US release and the lack of the leather cover when GAME's site kind of promised it is just ridiculous.

I seriously hope eidos read this disappointment, as it is far beyond the batarang being plastic. We were promised much more - the game doesn't even have a slip case!

I bought fallout 3's collectors edition for 7 pounds less than this and got a metal lunchbox, solid pip-boy bobble head, keyring with a little pip boy figure on it, a soundtrack CD, a hardback concept art book and the game itself. With collectors editions like this, how can Eidos think it is okay to charge that enormous price for this product?

Sorry my first post is a complaint, and I'm sure the game will be fantastic so I don't want to seem like it is an attack on any of the developers, but i think the marketing people who sorted this for the PAL territory should be ashamed of themselves. In this economy £60 isn't a small sum (it wouldn't be anyway), but this certainly is a small reward.

- Alex, Jaded customer.

100% agree with that :(

BradPitt
29th Aug 2009, 13:32
I''m also from the netherlands, and i've just received my CE.

And guess what

It's the damn USA version :D:

The store that i preordered it from had soms problems with their distributor. So instead of sending me the Europe CE, they sent me the USA Version, That's excellent customer service! . :cool:

And the batarang is kinda cool too, even if it's made out of plastic. Don't know why everybody is complaining

Chromath
29th Aug 2009, 17:50
I''m also from the netherlands, and i've just received my CE.

And guess what

It's the damn USA version :D:

The store that i preordered it from had soms problems with their distributor. So instead of sending me the Europe CE, they sent me the USA Version, That's excellent customer service! . :cool:

And the batarang is kinda cool too, even if it's made out of plastic. Don't know why everybody is complaining

Which store did you order it from? I got it from Bart Smit.

BradPitt
29th Aug 2009, 19:17
Which store did you order it from? I got it from Bart Smit.

12game

http://www.12game.com/PS3/Batman_Arkham_Asylum_CE.aspx

SKINNYGUNS
29th Aug 2009, 19:24
i got the uk edition yesterday, and i too was dissapointed with it, mainly becuase of the lack of a slipcase, which means i cant put it with my other games properly, so ill just print one off the web, the batarang i thought was ok, the scratches and the single black colour are dissapointing, i think a little more effort could have gone into it, but at least i got a full colour manual. in the end though i think the game is what matters most, and all i can say is DAMN!!!!!! it rules!

Chromath
30th Aug 2009, 09:14
12game

http://www.12game.com/PS3/Batman_Arkham_Asylum_CE.aspx

Are you kidding me! I CANCELED my order there, cause I didn't get the Road to Arkham Comic there....

kenshin
30th Aug 2009, 10:49
I wasted my money on the CE. not worth the extra cash for the extra stuff given. so annoyed that they gave us this rubbish. This is what i expected http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/BAA_CE_LG2.jpg.