PDA

View Full Version : Arkham has the Zelda "formula" perfected.

helipilot22
26th Aug 2009, 23:24
I have just found the review from "computer and video games" est 1981. they are very highly respected in the UK and really kicked off the games magazine market over here in blighty, they later created mean machines the first console only mag which went down a absolute smash, way back when i was a lad...
Anyway a few days ago I posted my opinions of Arkham on a different forum and stated that to me it felt very zelda of old, and that the formula was spot on adventuring at its very best. heres part of their review:

CVG START "It's production values rival Gears of War. It's attention to detail is almost unmatched outside of the very best first-party console exclusives. Without trying to drench ourselves too thoroughly with the hyperbole hosepipe, Batman: Arkham Asylum is simply a shockingly good action romp in a cape and utility belt.
But hide and seek isn't all Arkham has to offer; Bruce Wayne's wide array of gadgets will have you adventuring in true Zelda style. Line launchers create a swift solution to perilous gaps, explosive gel can be used to strategically blow walls and ceilings onto your foes and the bat claw and sonic bat-arang are both solid additions to your Poison Ivy-topping arsenal." CVG END

How can I put it,its like a layered cake each slice richer than the last, the game gives you a toy so that you can get another toy which was visible (maybe) but unobtainable at first, that in a nutshell is the equation/formula of zelda, the "I just need that so I can get in there and so on. We just don't see enough of it these days and Arkham proves 100% that it still works when done like this, magic.

Just thought i'd get some good back up to what i said a few days back. Now i've completed the story mode and found everything, I feel gutted and i know its going to take something special to fill the gap that was that first play through of Arkham Asylum.

WELDONE ROCKSTEADY, WELDONE INDEED!

EliteF50
26th Aug 2009, 23:34
"It's production values rival Gears of War..."

Grammatical error in an official review?

helipilot22
26th Aug 2009, 23:42

Its all about the passion mate, stop being so anal. Who cares about Gramaticol erorz.

iamtombombadil
26th Aug 2009, 23:47

Did you know that there is not "one" book that has ever been published which did not contain at least one overlooked grammatical error and that is with multiple human and computer based grammar and spell checks. Relax. This is pertains to 1st editions. Revised editions often include the corrections if they were pointed out to the publishers.

EliteF50
26th Aug 2009, 23:50
Yeah, but how could a professional reviewer miss two grammatical errors of the same sort in the opening sentence?

iamtombombadil
26th Aug 2009, 23:52
Well, you do have a point. Reviews are not as long as books. Still, the human eye can be tricked into thinking it sees things spelled correctly. However, you have a valid argument. Generally grammatical errors in books are not as obvious or repetitive.

helipilot22
26th Aug 2009, 23:54
At elitef50, hows it going, how about you actually pass comment on the bones of my thread instead of mincing on about grammer.

iamtombombadil
27th Aug 2009, 00:00
helipilot22, welcome to the forum. Relax, he was not criticizing you. Just the reviewer.
I do want to say I disagree with the opinion that this has the zelda "formula" perfected. I would say I enjoy Zelda more than this game, but only because I love Zelda games. Perhaps they have gone down hill since OoT, but while there are some zelda/metroid familiarities in AA, they really don't take those sections as far as Zelda/metroid series does. Not a bad thing, just not the same.

I believe Sefton Hill was quoted as saying he drew upon his enjoyment of the metroid series, but I don't think their goal was to emulate these games.

helipilot22
27th Aug 2009, 00:08
I am relaxed, thanks for the welcome, it just struck me thats al,l that it reeks of old fashioned adventuring values mainly stemming from the big N's old franchises zelda metroid, thats right what you have said it doen't take the map reading/puzzleing as far as oot (the water temple), but it really was great to have some of that sense of actually working somthing out rather than being spoon fed all the time with an idiot arrow showing you the way home.
Thats what I mean with the title "formula", its a derivative of the former games we have discussed, and thanks for your thoughts, pilot out..

icematt12
27th Aug 2009, 00:40
I probably shouldn't say this, but I have a small case that could be argued in support of the ' in It's. Based on what I was taught of the english language anyway, might not be any real evidence to support me.