PDA

View Full Version : Action Cam w/ PC Keyboard - Here's How

OrionsByte
26th Aug 2009, 16:50
Alright I searched high and low for how to do the cool glide-kick action cam thing on a PC, but just found other people asking the same question. I decided to figure it out myself. I'll spare you the story of everything I went through to get to this point, but I'll share if asked. :)

First - the batarang camera is part of the default keyboard setup - hold the right mouse button to aim, then use the R key instead of the left mouse button. Most of you probably already knew that but I wanted to throw that in there before I get to the other stuff.

There is no button bound to the Action Cam in the default keyboard layout, and nothing you can change in the bindings screen to make it work either. I'm assuming is a bug or glitch that will hopefully be fixed by release (or at least patched aftewards), but here is how you can make it work:

First, I'm basing these instructions on the default keyboard mapping, and binding the Action Cam to the crouch button (Left Control). If you want it somewhere else, you can probably figure it out.

Find the file named UserInput.ini on your computer. The location of this file will differ depending on your operating system and configuration, but for me, on Vista, it was under My Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum Demo\BmGame\Config.

Open the file and find the line that contains "LeftControl". For me it was on line 11. The whole line looks something like this:

.Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Stealth | CancelBatarangCamera | CancelGadget | ExitAgilityMode | HangFromVantagepoint", Shift=false, Control=false, Alt=false, bIgnoreShift=false, bIgnoreCtrl=false, bIgnoreAlt=false):META:COM_CROUCH,0,-1,-1,"bCrouchButton",false,false,CI_Crouch,CI_Cancel,CI_HangFromVantagePoint

Look at the text in quotes following the word "Command=". Insert " | StealthOrGadget" before the closing quote. The whole line should now look like this (you can just copy this and replace the whole line if you like):

.Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Stealth | CancelBatarangCamera | CancelGadget | ExitAgilityMode | HangFromVantagepoint | StealthOrGadget", Shift=false, Control=false, Alt=false, bIgnoreShift=false, bIgnoreCtrl=false, bIgnoreAlt=false):META:COM_CROUCH,0,-1,-1,"bCrouchButton",false,false,CI_Crouch,CI_Cancel,CI_HangFromVantagePoint

Save the file, run the game, enjoy the awesomeness.

al-x
28th Aug 2009, 21:15
Hello:

I am not a mod, but perhaps this method should be in the "Sticky" section for those interested. I fear this posting might get lost otherwise.

Al...

Asurat
28th Aug 2009, 23:01
Nice one! I'll try it out once i got the time

Kevin =]
29th Aug 2009, 02:42
thank you =]

SteMot
29th Aug 2009, 13:23
Works, nice find :)

al-x
29th Aug 2009, 16:56
Works, nice find :)

I have the demo and found the named UserInput.ini , but there were only 2 lines to it.
I was unable to copy and paste the needed line.

Al...

SteMot
29th Aug 2009, 20:21
I have the demo and found the named UserInput.ini , but there were only 2 lines to it.
I was unable to copy and paste the needed line.

Al...

You need the one located in your "My Documents" folder. The one in the main game folder (program files/yada yada yada) only has the two lines. Your in the wrong folder fella.

al-x
30th Aug 2009, 00:06
You need the one located in your "My Documents" folder. The one in the main game folder (program files/yada yada yada) only has the two lines. Your in the wrong folder fella.

Thanks...

I found it and pasted the line.

Al...

thecapedcrusader
30th Aug 2009, 09:59
That's awesome Orionsbyte. Well done.

Asurat
30th Aug 2009, 17:36
I've somehow become addicted to the batarang camera, I seem to use it at the most inappropriate of times :P although what's the action glide camera exactly? what's it do?

OrionsByte
30th Aug 2009, 19:38
I've somehow become addicted to the batarang camera, I seem to use it at the most inappropriate of times :P although what's the action glide camera exactly? what's it do?

Basically it puts the camera down behind the enemy you're about to kick, so you get to watch yourself swoop in. It's pretty cool. All you have to do (assuming you've applied the fix) is hit the crouch button right after starting a glide kick.

You can also use it when grappling from gargoyle to gargoyle.

al-x
15th Sep 2009, 23:56
Hello:

Hey, this is a really cool adjustment to the game. Maybe it should be in Sticky...

I wonder if it works in the actual game as I only tried it in the demo.

Al...

OrionsByte
16th Sep 2009, 19:25
It works in the full game as well, but frankly I'm a little surprised they didn't activate this functionality before release. I mean, it's in the game, and it can be done if you're using an Xbox controller, just not with the keyboard without a little tweaking. It's a teeny little thing, but still, I wish it had been a publisher-side fix instead of a consumer-side fix.

bbb
16th Sep 2009, 21:27
I think the Title Update for the full game adds this feature. You need to run the Launcher and go into Settings after installing it to update the ini files (maybe also Reset to Defaults).

bat778
19th Sep 2009, 06:58
I just updated and the action cam is not there. The hack by orionsbyte still works though. props to orionsbyte. fail to rocksteady for being microsofts *****.

Smashman
19th Sep 2009, 08:45
Does this disable crouch? Or just add both functionalities to the single key?

capable heart
19th Sep 2009, 10:35
Yeah, if you go by what the console controllers do to activate this function, "Crouch" and "Drop Down" should be bound to different keys. On the PC they're not, at least not by default, which overrides the button needed to activate the action cam for glide kicks.

deders
19th Sep 2009, 10:54
Alright I searched high and low for how to do the cool glide-kick action cam thing on a PC, but just found other people asking the same question. I decided to figure it out myself. I'll spare you the story of everything I went through to get to this point, but I'll share if asked. :)

First - the batarang camera is part of the default keyboard setup - hold the right mouse button to aim, then use the R key instead of the left mouse button. Most of you probably already knew that but I wanted to throw that in there before I get to the other stuff.

There is no button bound to the Action Cam in the default keyboard layout, and nothing you can change in the bindings screen to make it work either. I'm assuming is a bug or glitch that will hopefully be fixed by release (or at least patched aftewards), but here is how you can make it work:

First, I'm basing these instructions on the default keyboard mapping, and binding the Action Cam to the crouch button (Left Control). If you want it somewhere else, you can probably figure it out.

Find the file named UserInput.ini on your computer. The location of this file will differ depending on your operating system and configuration, but for me, on Vista, it was under My Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum Demo\BmGame\Config.

Open the file and find the line that contains "LeftControl". For me it was on line 11. The whole line looks something like this:

.Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Stealth | CancelBatarangCamera | CancelGadget | ExitAgilityMode | HangFromVantagepoint", Shift=false, Control=false, Alt=false, bIgnoreShift=false, bIgnoreCtrl=false, bIgnoreAlt=false):META:COM_CROUCH,0,-1,-1,"bCrouchButton",false,false,CI_Crouch,CI_Cancel,CI_HangFromVantagePoint

Look at the text in quotes following the word "Command=". Insert " | StealthOrGadget" before the closing quote. The whole line should now look like this (you can just copy this and replace the whole line if you like):

.Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Stealth | CancelBatarangCamera | CancelGadget | ExitAgilityMode | HangFromVantagepoint | StealthOrGadget", Shift=false, Control=false, Alt=false, bIgnoreShift=false, bIgnoreCtrl=false, bIgnoreAlt=false):META:COM_CROUCH,0,-1,-1,"bCrouchButton",false,false,CI_Crouch,CI_Cancel,CI_HangFromVantagePoint

Save the file, run the game, enjoy the awesomeness.

I've found a hassle free way of activating the action cam without editing anything. Simply use the middle mouse button.

OrionsByte
19th Sep 2009, 17:26
You're right, that works! I'm not sure if it worked in the demo or not, I'm pretty sure I tried it but I could be wrong...

Smashman
19th Sep 2009, 19:17
Is it possible to bind it to a key that's not being used for anything in the default set up? An F key for example? Perhaps Insert or similar?

bat778
20th Sep 2009, 20:59
I've found a hassle free way of activating the action cam without editing anything. Simply use the middle mouse button.

Thanks. this actually works! I take back the rocksteady fail! :)

bat778
20th Sep 2009, 21:06
Is it possible to bind it to a key that's not being used for anything in the default set up? An F key for example? Perhaps Insert or similar?

I don't think the action cam is a separatable "action" in and of itself. It gloms onto another action key depending on the context of the situation. I agree though, it would be nice if we could rebind just the action cam to some key.

Smashman
27th Sep 2009, 20:55
I'm bumping this cause it's awesome.
Had to search through 6 pages to find this :P

OrionsByte
28th Sep 2009, 15:45

The easiest way to do this might be to go in to the key binding utility through the launcher and bind the key you want to use to some other action, something like stun or grapple or whatever. Make sure to leave the default key binding there, just set this up as a secondary option.

Then (after saving the settings) you can go in to the UserInput.ini, find the row that contains the key you bound (instead of "LeftControl") and then add " | StealthOrGadget" to the command string, just like I did in the original example.

It's inelegant, but it should work.

deders
28th Sep 2009, 17:08
The easiest way to do this might be to go in to the key binding utility through the launcher and bind the key you want to use to some other action, something like stun or grapple or whatever. Make sure to leave the default key binding there, just set this up as a secondary option.

Then (after saving the settings) you can go in to the UserInput.ini, find the row that contains the key you bound (instead of "LeftControl") and then add " | StealthOrGadget" to the command string, just like I did in the original example.

It's inelegant, but it should work.

the easiest way to do this is to use the middle mouse button, it's already bound.

OrionsByte
28th Sep 2009, 17:22
the easiest way to do this is to use the middle mouse button, it's already bound.

Yes, but if you want it bound to something else, there's no built-in way to change it. Games like this one provide a way to remap keys and buttons for a reason - not every gamer likes the same setup. On one of my mice the middle mouse button is not really usable for gaming, for instance, so having a second option is nice.

al-x
6th Feb 2010, 19:32
Hello:

This is really cool...What is the key to press again?

Al...

deders
8th Feb 2010, 10:29
Hello:

This is really cool...What is the key to press again?

Al...

middle mouse

freeze131
13th Apr 2010, 04:22
Thanks man - it looks awesome.

bat778
15th Apr 2010, 23:27
Just to add clarification here, the action cam on the pc is bound to either the "cape stun" or "secondary gadget function" depending on what action you do: grapple/claw/batarang.

So, you can kinda remap the "action cam" key so to speak, it just follows whatever you map "cape stun" or "secondary gadget function" to. By default, I believe cape stun is mapped to both the E key and the middle mouse button, so either should work for the grapple action cam.