PDA

View Full Version : Eidos Head Talks Deus Ex 3

skyward
26th Aug 2009, 13:07
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1171/deus-ex-3-ready-when-its-ready

SageSavage
26th Aug 2009, 13:25
Thanks for the link! Although it's nothing very substantial, it sounds rather good as a little moral booster.

(Why is it, that such links frequently come from people who just registered? Temporarily bypassing the gag order?)

El_Bel
26th Aug 2009, 13:27
http://www.nowgamer.com/blogs/casual-games/66/deus-ex-3-dev-prefers-360

This is disturbing...

SageSavage
26th Aug 2009, 13:29

This is disturbing...
Man... it really is. This guy... ah... forget it! How the hell did he manage to get this job?

Ashpolt
26th Aug 2009, 13:37
Dugas said that in the PC Zone (UK) article ages ago. Old news, but agreed it's worrying. This is also the same guy who said Deus Ex was "kinda slow" and I think it was him that said "the industry as a whole has grown up." I have a word I would usually use to describe someone like that, but for fear of angering The Forum Gods I'll not say it. Hint: it's an anagram of "cod hue."

Livingstone, comparitively, sounds fairly sensible. The idea of it being done when it's done is exactly how it should be, especially because it gives them no excuse not to make the controversial design decisions optional.

Red
26th Aug 2009, 14:19
As I've read Warren's Deus Ex post mortem, I realized EM is making (Trouble)Shooter.

Mind boggling. And worrying.

Malah
26th Aug 2009, 14:54
All you want is Deus Ex with new textures!

Err.... or was it 'better textures' ?

Red
26th Aug 2009, 15:43
Pink textures.

Ilves
26th Aug 2009, 17:08

[...] Deus Ex 3's lead designer [...] said he prefers the 360 to the PC.

Wait, this shameless Xbox hugging... How likely is it DX3 will come to the PS3? I was kinda counting on it... Any -recent- official word on platforms? http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7184/faceworriedge4.gif

Malah
26th Aug 2009, 17:57
The game will be released for both consoles. And, eventually, the PC. The initial 'zomfgweluvPCgaming!111' bull**** was just that.

Also, even though it's been obvious from the beginning that this will be a 'modern action-rpg' aimed at the console crowd that CBA to read two lines and want nothing but cool effects and gimmicks, this made me throw up. I won't even bother spamming here any more.

SageSavage
26th Aug 2009, 18:09
The game will be released for both consoles. And, eventually, the PC. The initial 'zomfgweluvPCgaming!111' bull**** was just that. I still believe Rene's (or was it D'Astous?) statement that the PC-version is definitive but Dugas' attitude worries me. I didn't realize that this was such an old statement though, which is why I actually think there is a good chance that someone put him straight in the meantime. That's what I hope.

jamhaw
26th Aug 2009, 18:47
Man... it really is. This guy... ah... forget it! How the hell did he manage to get this job?

That is very disheartening.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Aug 2009, 20:57
Yeah, old news. :(
I was excited there, for a moment... :D

Bluey71
26th Aug 2009, 21:26
Wait a minute, I thought the only platform that has been confirmed is the PC, that DX3 was being devloped for the pc and ported to other platforms.

Has this now changed?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Aug 2009, 21:38
Wait a minute, I thought the only platform that has been confirmed is the PC, that DX3 was being devloped for the pc and ported to other platforms.

Has this now changed?
I don't think anything has changed. Nothing says DX3 has been ported to other platforms... or have I missed it?

Daedalus.
26th Aug 2009, 22:22

As stated at above link,

"That's what I try to do, to make sure there's that one moment, that one wow factor so that people will tell their friends." ???

I hope there are a lot more than just one memorable moment (one 'wow factor') in DX3. This is really disturbing, and he is not doing an excellent job of promotion. The entire game should be memorable from beginning to end, just like DX1 was. DX1 has too many moments to even begin to describe or count, that is why the game still lives today. I hope Livingstone is not just satisfied with ONE moment, and I hope we are NOT satisfied either. This (the ongoing, current promotion of DX3) is really beginning to disturb me. If you are shooting for just ONE moment, then might as well scrap the game (DX3) and all your notes; and, start all over with a new plan. I won’t be telling my friends what you want them to hear, they will be hearing the truth about this game (DX3). Currently, the present truth is that DX3 is quite disappointing thus far.

PS. You might want to find someone else to talk to the public for these guys, because it seems that they are failing horribly.

minus0ne
27th Aug 2009, 02:26
You shouldn't read too much into it though. I mean, the guy's praising Deus Ex, the "Spector legacy". I think he was actually saying that new players (and old alike) should, at one moment, have this 'realisation' that what they're playing is actually special, like a "wow this is deep"-moment (which I believe we all had at one point when playing the original), a feeling that what they're playing is unlike anything they've played before.

I think Deus Ex was the first game to ever do that for me. It happened somewhere between Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong, but I can't put my finger on it (not that I think it was a single moment or thing, it was the whole). Anyway, if people experience that moment and call up their friends and tell them about it, that would only be a good thing.

For EM to achieve this, is indeed aiming high, but doesn't that show that the team at EM is still expecting a lot from themselves? To come very close to DX's greatness, or surpass it even (Blasphemy! It cannot be! :eek:)

So I wouldn't interpret that interview to mean that he only wants to put in one "memorable moment" (which, anyone who's ever played a games will tell you, isn't a whole lot for an entire game, and Livingstone's done more than just play games, unlike a lot of us), but rather he wants it become something special.

thomasaquinas
27th Aug 2009, 05:20

This is disturbing...Jesus Chrrriiiisst.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Aug 2009, 07:46
You shouldn't read too much into it though. I mean, the guy's praising Deus Ex, the "Spector legacy". I think he was actually saying that new players (and old alike) should, at one moment, have this 'realisation' that what they're playing is actually special, like a "wow this is deep"-moment (which I believe we all had at one point when playing the original), a feeling that what they're playing is unlike anything they've played before.

I think Deus Ex was the first game to ever do that for me. It happened somewhere between Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong, but I can't put my finger on it (not that I think it was a single moment or thing, it was the whole). Anyway, if people experience that moment and call up their friends and tell them about it, that would only be a good thing.

For EM to achieve this, is indeed aiming high, but doesn't that show that the team at EM is still expecting a lot from themselves? To come very close to DX's greatness, or surpass it even (Blasphemy! It cannot be! :eek:)

So I wouldn't interpret that interview to mean that he only wants to put in one "memorable moment" (which, anyone who's ever played a games will tell you, isn't a whole lot for an entire game, and Livingstone's done more than just play games, unlike a lot of us), but rather he wants it become something special.

Yes, that is exactly how I interpret it. :thumb:

skyward
27th Aug 2009, 08:34
In the full Ian Livingstone interview (http://www.nowgamer.com/features/400/eidos-for-life-exclusive-ian-livingstone-qa?o=1#listing) he also says this this:

And can you tell us about any gameplay components [of Deus Ex 3] that would excite our readers?
I can't right now, but I am smug and quietly confident about it.

SageSavage
27th Aug 2009, 08:50
I won't comment on our pricing policy because we've made no announcement on that, but if some companies want to risk £70 then people will vote with their feet. They tried it with Turok; it didn't work. If it works with Modern Warfare we'll wait and see. It's clearly a must-have purchase but at what cost? I don't know.

Which is exactly what I think is the main reason behind most of those delayed games that were originally announced for Fall/Winter 2009. Personally, I will vote with my feet and don't buy MW2 for the retail price.

[Not in the same context]

Each studio can put forward propositions and we give them a pre-production budget to execute on those ideas. And then it comes in front of the green light committee and we say 'yes, we can run with that' or say 'no, sorry we don't like that'.

That green light-thingy seems to be a very big thing for EIDOS...

Is there any science behind your green light strategy?
There is a science. We test everything before they come to the committee. So we have data as well as our own subjective opinions. There's focus testing, market analysis, competitive analysis, technology analysis, trends, distribution. It's a very big process, which is critical.

dark_angel_7
27th Aug 2009, 09:04
Green-lighting process is extremely important for Eidos. In 2008 they canned 14 games because they didn't meet Eidos' high requirements and they have since implemented a strict green-lighting process. Of course tax-breaks are also important to Eidos hence the creation of EM. UK Devs./Publishers gets no support from their government:

an Livingstone, the life president of Eidos, the UK company that invented the character of Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider games, told the report’s compilers: “Over the years, the government has failed to support the games industry regarding the problems caused by rising costs and inadequate graduate skills… [It] has failed to introduce a production tax credit scheme to enable the UK to compete globally on an even playing field whereas many foreign governments have invested heavily in their own games industries….

“The government is ready to help traditional industries that are hurt by the recession. But for our long term interests it should invest in a digital future rather than prop up a failing past.”

Ninjerk
27th Aug 2009, 16:19
Ah, the old, "Things aren't the way they were 20 years ago so we have to be careful." I get so sick of hearing that filler crap.

FrankCSIS
27th Aug 2009, 22:20
Considering what I've heard about Microsoft Games' green light committee, it is scientific indeed.

What a gag.

Someone needs to put them in communication with Clotaire Rapaille, the first marketing guru to openly ridicule focus groups.

Daedalus.
28th Aug 2009, 03:21
In the full Ian Livingstone interview (http://www.nowgamer.com/features/400/eidos-for-life-exclusive-ian-livingstone-qa?o=1#listing) he also says this:

And can you tell us about any gameplay components [of Deus Ex 3] that would excite our readers?
I can't right now, but I am smug and quietly confident about it.

WOW! How embarrassing for EIDOS.

Jerion
28th Aug 2009, 05:42

:scratch:

Sabretooth1
28th Aug 2009, 06:49

:confused:

SageSavage
28th Aug 2009, 10:07
:poke:

Ninjerk
28th Aug 2009, 15:10
:group_hug:

Ninjerk
28th Aug 2009, 17:30
Did he go somewhere?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Aug 2009, 17:32
Perhaps he's around still... just using a new Nom De Plume. ;)

IOOI
28th Aug 2009, 21:54
I KNEW IT!
MyImmortal is WhatsHisFace. That ;) is the proof. :D

Jerion
28th Aug 2009, 21:55
I KNEW IT!
MyImmortal is WhatsHisFace. That ;) is the proof. :D

That would be epic. :eek::D

SageSavage
28th Aug 2009, 22:41
More like a severe case of schizophrenia.

El_Bel
29th Aug 2009, 10:37
It would be so cool if WHF hacked MyImmortals account :D

Jerion
29th Aug 2009, 17:50
It would be so cool if WHF hacked MyImmortals account :D

For about 5 seconds. Then all hell would rain down on him.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Aug 2009, 08:13
:eek:

I go clubbing for the weekend and return to find a new conspiracy. I love this place. :D

El_Bel
31st Aug 2009, 11:16
What if we hack all Admin and Moderators account up to the big boss and make this forum community moderated?

Azrepheal
31st Aug 2009, 11:30
I go clubbing for the weekend

Seals?

Jerion
31st Aug 2009, 15:54
What if we hack all Admin and Moderators account up to the big boss and make this forum community moderated?

It wouldn't go over well.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/98/l_5accdd35d1d8472b05bc0f6562028049.jpg

lumpi
31st Aug 2009, 18:43

Their statements are quite schizophrenic. On the one hand, all the praise of Spector, the "legacy" and doing it better than DX:IW... Then your read all the 360-praise and empty "consumer product awareness experience indicator adjustment process" PR bull****.

El_Bel
31st Aug 2009, 20:16
Well you couldnt ban anyone!!! Your accounts would have been hacked!! Then the conspirators would make Admins some selected members and your accounts would get deleted!! Looks like a text book assault!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Aug 2009, 20:24
Seals?

LMAO, no. :D

Irate_Iguana
31st Aug 2009, 21:35
LMAO, no. :D

Shins (http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=030115)?

Sabretooth1
1st Sep 2009, 02:33
Looks like a text book assault!!

:lol: