PDA

View Full Version : For PC buyers - Steam or retail?

Laughin9M4N
24th Aug 2009, 19:42
I am gonna get the game for the PC and I am wondering if I should buy it retail or get it from Steam. If I get it retail I won't have to wait a long download time but I haven't bought a PC game in a while so I don't know what games for windows live is? Will it make me download some extra stuff because I don't want to install anything extra. If I get it on steam it will be on my hard drive and I don't need a cd but I gotta download it on my slow dsl connection. And Steam usually has some sort of sale or deal? Any thoughts, ideas on which one I should get or what you guys are gonna do when it comes out for PC? Thanks

Henke123
24th Aug 2009, 20:03
If you have really slow internet connection I think it's better to buy retail.

And retail is almost always cheaper than Steam, especially if you live in Europe since the price for B:AA on Steam is 49.99€(~$71).

icematt12
24th Aug 2009, 21:12
I agree. I brought a Valve game at launch cheaper from a website than it would have been through Steam. Shop around and find a good deal. I don't understand what Games for Windows Live is myself. I always thought it was like saying "This is only on Windows, don't expect it to be compatible with other OSs".

SteMot
24th Aug 2009, 21:21
Even if you buy through Steam, you'll still have to install and use Games For Windows Live, so the difference is, do you want a digital copy that you'll have to wait ages to download, or buy the retail version that is exactly the same and installed in 10 mins from a disc. I know what my choice would be.

CameO73
24th Aug 2009, 21:29
Even if you buy through Steam, you'll still have to install and use Games For Windows Live, so the difference is, do you want a digital copy that you'll have to wait ages to download, or buy the retail version that is exactly the same and installed in 10 mins from a disc. I know what my choice would be.
You could look at it another way: do you want a copy that requires you to insert the disc every time you play it, or do you want a copy you can play without that hassle? Anyway, if you live in Europe, it's even simpler: do you want to pay € 49.99 (Steam) or € 39.49 (retail)? Pretty crazy, I know!

dantivirus
25th Aug 2009, 09:38
Most likely retail as I loathe steam. Too many issues have cropped up from it for me.

Though I am still miffed we have to wait till September 15 to get the exact same game they already released for the consoles today..*sigh*

These days most PC games are just an afterthought as they only care about the console markets. Do you see any exclusives or DLC for the PC version? Nope. Do you see any CE for the PC version? Nope.

So why do we have to wait 3 more weeks than the console market? Simple really. They want the people to only buy the console versions initially at the higher price. More money for them. Then after the flood of buyers are done for the console, they'll toss out the PC version to soak up the loose cash.

If all 3 versions were made at the same time by the same company, then why the delay on the PC version?

Cirap
25th Aug 2009, 09:48
retail - Steam is overpriced in Europe

it's $49.99 on steam, but only €37 incl. shipping when buying a physical copy online or at a store

BlueHabit
25th Aug 2009, 15:54
If all 3 versions were made at the same time by the same company, then why the delay on the PC version?

Or how about the proper incorporation of PhysX for a superior graphical experience like they have stated numerous times...

dantivirus
25th Aug 2009, 16:02
Watch it be the exact same physX version they have in the demo.

Honestly, odds are, it's already incorporated into the game. It's all about the money.

Nemesis296
25th Aug 2009, 16:04
Maybe they want people to buy the console version and THEN the PC version when it comes out in mid-Sept...just a thought on the more money idea.

Ace Antilles
25th Aug 2009, 18:29
Retail. Pre-order it and get the extra Dem Bones map too. Well in certain stores.
I've read a lot of issues with the Demo on Steam so retail will be simpler.

rileslek
25th Aug 2009, 18:37
Retail, I don't like digital copies.

Laughin9M4N
25th Aug 2009, 20:38
I am gonna shop around a bit but right now I am leaning towards retail but that is only by a little bit. I am gonna wait and see what the DRM is and figure out what "Games For Windows Live" is and hopefully it will just install straight to HD. Oh ya sorry I forgot to mention this but I live in the U.S. so I don't have high prices on steam but some games are still expensive even though some of them are old and they are not printing any packaging or manuals. Is there any way I can add the game onto my steam and get updates/dlc from steam? I guess I'll know for sure when the game comes out to the pc.

gnrfan228
25th Aug 2009, 21:48
I almost always get retail. The only times I buy from Steam is if it's a weekend sale.

Ace Antilles
25th Aug 2009, 21:55
Games For Windows Live is basically a way to log achievements in the game and where to get the DLC maps etc.
It runs from within the game. You can also track friends and see what they've been playing.

Laughin9M4N
26th Aug 2009, 02:21
So it is basically the same thing as steam. I think I will buy it retail but try and add it on steam if I can cuz I don't want another useless app on my pc. Thanks for the info guys.

Lurching Truie *Qc*
26th Aug 2009, 03:20
Well i'm going with Steam cause it's cheaper were i live and and will DL at 600 kb\s,oh and i can start the dl at 12:00 am tuesday,go to sleep and wake up tuesday morning and play without having to go to the store....

iceman0124
26th Aug 2009, 03:32
I already preorderd through steam. one, its a bit cheaper, no 10% sales tax, two....it'll keep me from picking up the console versions.

I love steam, lots of deals to be had, and I can acess my games anywhere Im around a PC powerful enough to run them. My average DL speed is 1.6mbs , and besides, with highly anticiapted games, once it goes gold, you can pre download it, and it will unlock when the set release time has been reached.

gclhoutx
26th Aug 2009, 03:36
I pre-ordered mine from EB-Games to get the DEM Bones challenge map. Far as I know that is the only thing that is considered DLC. As for the Windows Live, it's sort of the same setup that was in the PC version for Gears of War. Something to keep track of the achievements as well as supposedly future DLC. Though I've rarely seen any extra DLC for previous PC games using Windows Live that have had extra DLC content for the console versions. The only real advantage I see to using the Windows Live is if you happen to go play the same game on a friends console you'll just keep adding on to your stats. Though I guess one reason why they have partnered with steam is to allow future patches and DLC to be downloaded automatically. Yet you can probably tell steam you have the retail version and just use it for updates.

However I do hope they issue a SDK pack so some of the people in the community can create some expansion levels and mod's for the game. Besides just using the nice Skins some of the other members of the community have already made. I tried playing around with my Unreal Editor 3 however they are using a higher version than the one that I have. So the majority of the stuff can't be imported in.

Laughin9M4N
26th Aug 2009, 06:50
Compellng arguments. I guess i'll sleep on it and decide on release day because I am on the fence right now.

Henke123
26th Aug 2009, 07:45
The steam version is also using GFWL, and you can only add retail games to steam if they are in THIS (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601#which) list.

kamphund
26th Aug 2009, 14:16
Retail. So bored of Steam ^^ And I have already pre ordered it from the game shop in town

OrionsByte
26th Aug 2009, 16:30
Can't you buy retail and then add the license to Steam? I'm new to Steam, but I thought that's how it worked - that way you could install the game quickly but transfer(?) the license to Steam so you don't have to have the CD in to play.

I could be way off here though - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

ltolman
26th Aug 2009, 16:47
I saw that Batman Arkham Asylum "is" on Steams webpage and I have a very very bad feeling that even though you go out to a retail store and buy a boxed version; upon installation if you already have Steam Installed it will automatically install it to your Steam account

I had that happen with "Velvet Assassin" I bought a boxed version and it detected I had steam installed and installed it to Steam. So while I was able to avoid putting the disc in everytime to play the game it still installed it to Steam in which I had to launch that application in order to play it.

I dont suppose any Developers can comment about this scenario can they?

If you already have steam installed on your PC, does the retail boxed version install it to Steam? Cause heck if that truly is the case, we may as well just download it digitally; unless PC users want to un install steam just for this game (though I have Half Life 2:Ep 1 and 2, Silent Hill, Velvet Assassin and a couple other games so I am going to say 'no I will not un install just for Batman')

Henke123
26th Aug 2009, 17:06
Can't you buy retail and then add the license to Steam? I'm new to Steam, but I thought that's how it worked - that way you could install the game quickly but transfer(?) the license to Steam so you don't have to have the CD in to play.

I could be way off here though - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.Steam only support this with a few games. Check out this list (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601#which), if it's on there you can add it to Steam.

And I don't think you are transferring the license, it can still be installed and used without Steam. At least I think that is how it works.

Asurat
28th Aug 2009, 23:00
Going to buy it retail, since I like having my games in a box.

lostsomething
29th Aug 2009, 01:45
I went with Amazon and their $40 promotion code. I've already got an Amazon Prime membership too so free 2-day shipping on top of that.

Not a bad bargain, and it's bloody silly when the digital versions of games cost more than retail.

Laughin9M4N
29th Aug 2009, 19:20
I went with Amazon and their $40 promotion code. I've already got an Amazon Prime membership too so free 2-day shipping on top of that.

Not a bad bargain, and it's bloody silly when the digital versions of games cost more than retail.

Lostsomething, how did you get the promotion code? I think I am gonna get it from Amazon.com. Thanks

lostsomething
30th Aug 2009, 01:05
It was 5OFFARKM

For $5 off their normal price of $45,
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Pc/dp/B001E8QA2E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1251594238&sr=8-5

I ordered it before the demo even came out so I don't know if it still works however.

thecapedcrusader
30th Aug 2009, 09:39
There's a button under "Games" that says "Add non-Steam Game". Then you browse the directory it's in till you find the exe. and hit "Open".

BTW, how is Velvet Assassin? Almost picked it up CHEAP, may go back...

ltolman
1st Sep 2009, 23:41
Velvet Assassin? Reviews rated anywhere from 55-70%

My opinion? Wait til its like less than 20 dollars. I mean its alright if you're into a stealth game but some of the gameplay seems repetitive. I'm halfway thru the game and I havent played it in months :(

Larfleeze
2nd Sep 2009, 00:45
Steam.
No doubt about it.

Choronzonon
2nd Sep 2009, 04:02
You guys miss the point. Steam automatically uploads patches and fixes the minute they're available. And you can play the game on any machine. Of course, if you're still living in the stone age without a 20 megabit broadband connection, I guess that you'd have to wait more than an hour to download.

iceman0124
2nd Sep 2009, 05:05
I was skeptical and not happy when HL2 was a steam only release, shortly thereafter, especially with the great pricing specials, I have no problems with steam and actualy prefer it in most cases, its usually cheaper, no tax, no shipping....and I always know where my games are...no lost activation codes, missing,damaged discs, picking up internet nasties looking for cracks etc.... I'm actually surprised by number of anti steam posts.....The only real knock I have on it is the set time the game companies put to unlock it on launch day, the only other game I preorderd through stream (no idea what it was) didnt unlock until late evening on launch day...but that wasnt steams fault. Its a great thing IMO, other countries may vary but in the US...steam rules IMO.

ltolman
16th Sep 2009, 01:11
I bought the retail version; installed the game and it "did not" install to my steam account; just thought I would share the info. (from my previous question, page 1)

hlhbk
16th Sep 2009, 02:05
Easy anwser. Steam. It is the only way I buy pc games now, I never buy games from the store.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 02:07
You guys miss the point. Steam automatically uploads patches and fixes the minute they're available. And you can play the game on any machine. Of course, if you're still living in the stone age without a 20 megabit broadband connection, I guess that you'd have to wait more than an hour to download.

Not true. Almost every 3rd Party (Read: Non-Valve Game) on Steam takes much longer to receive the patch on steam then it does to just download said patch from sites like fileshack. CoD5 is a good example. It usually takes anywhere from a good half-day to a day for the patch to appear on steam, where as the patch is obviously immedialy available for any normal retail owner of the game. I tend to stay away from Steam for games that don't require it for this reason.

GhostDawg
16th Sep 2009, 02:20
Definitely retail, if for no other reason than that you can resell it later, which you can't do with Steam. That's the primary reason I don't buy games from Steam. It's an effort to eliminate the PC game secondary sales market.

Laughin9M4N
16th Sep 2009, 02:51
Most likely gonna get the game from best buy or gamestop in the next two days. My biggest fear was GFWL but it doesn't seem so bad with SFIV so I am guessing it will be the same with AA. Not that I don't like steam but my dsl connection sucks and I still like owning the box and cds. It kinda sucks that it is coming out now when I am almost a month into my classes and I won't have as much time to enjoy the game as I would have 3 weeks ago. That and I was more excited about it 3 weeks ago then I am now (mostly because I gotta focus on school). Anyone got any info on third party controller support? I am using my ps2 connected with super joy box4 and I hope my right analog stick will work in the retail.

Cirap
16th Sep 2009, 09:03
retail.

the Steam price is a joke, about 40% more expensive than retail

normally I love buying games on Steam, having them 100% digital is awesome (I have about 60 titles on Steam), but 40% price difference for the benefit of not needing the disc? Live already checks for game updates when you start, so patching is a breeze

Gimpymoo
16th Sep 2009, 11:11

Easy anwser. Steam. It is the only way I buy pc games now, I never buy games from the store.

Im with you guys.

STEAM for me when I get paid in 12 hours :)

The benefits of STEAM for me personally make it worth the extra couple of quid.

Saying that, my local shop is selling it for £34.99 and STEAM is £29.99 so im actually saving a fiver.

Kudos to Eidos for not hiking the STEAM price to full retail.

jbscotchman
16th Sep 2009, 13:02
I bought it on STEAM, took a couple hours to download, and it plays great.

Ravenger
16th Sep 2009, 15:08
I ordered retail, as it's cheaper than Steam.

AFAIK all current GFWL games have limited activations. There's virtually no information out there on exactly how many you have, but some users have been locked out of GFWL and online features in their games because they've 'exceeded the usage allowed by your product key' by installing it too many times. Google for that error and you'll find plenty of references to that problem.

Even some of the developers of games that use GFWL didn't know about the activation limits until users started calling them about being locked out of GFWL.

GFWL 3.0 has a method to attach a product key to your gamer tag (like how we all incorrectly imagined how it currently worked) but games have to specifically support that. I don't know of any games that do at the moment.

However you can still play the game offline if you get that error, and with a game like Batman you don't need to go online except for leaderboards and DLC, so I'm not too fussed.

Gimpymoo
22nd Sep 2009, 14:02
For the Record, the STEAM version has been GREAT.

At least we had no need to install the 1.1 patch from GFWL.. Thanks Eidos :)

jaywalker2309
22nd Sep 2009, 14:06
Gimpymoo - u got our name right :) So many times i read Edios and wonder if thats someone trying to be funny or just dont realise they've mispelt the name :)

Yeh steam has its advantages of patching live. Hopefully will have manuals available soon.. i uploaded last week but not had chance to chase up them publishing them. As for the price of games online versus retail discs is something thats always hotly contested between retailers, digital or not

andytofun
22nd Sep 2009, 15:24
retail for me. if your hard disk crash or you wanna chage it at least you have a copy of the game

Gimpymoo
22nd Sep 2009, 15:29
Hopefully will have manuals available soon.. i uploaded last week but not had chance to chase up them publishing them

Will be good to see, thanks.

The game is pretty intuitive although a manual would be nice to skim through.

For me, digital distribution is the way forward, regardless if people like or not so may as well embrace it now :)

LoGan7
1st Oct 2009, 18:34

i agree, i prefer steam than retail and i think its better because except what Choronzonon said, if something happens to your disk you may have problems in game.

its more expensive, but thats how it works :rolleyes: