PDA

View Full Version : My Impression & A Suggestions

Damage Inc.
22nd Aug 2009, 08:09
Wow, just wow. I have to applaud the creators of this game, it has been quite a while since I was so impressed with a game.
Well, there have been a couple of recent ones, but many just try too hard.
This one has such a simple concept, yet it's quite deep and very fun to just play, it's just really spontaneous.
I love the whole clean style, the atmosphere from it combined with the music and lighthearted characters.
The controls are pretty smooth too, yet not too dumbed-down, as you can move different speeds.
When I saw the game the first minutes I didn't expect to find as many controls.
There is even a nice stealth-system, which really comes in handy.
At one point I was thinking like "It would be cool if you could run along walls.".
Then I just tried it and, guess what, you can!
It's just very cute too, I mean, I come from playing games like 'Battlefield' and 'Rainbow Six',
but this made even me go "Hihi" at least two or three times.
And I love all the little details, with the gestures like the animations and voices,
items like the weapons, potions, things you can find, the pillars describing the locations, etc.
The features definitely help the gameplay, like again the different weapons,
different ways to move around like the hat the spiritual themed things, etc.

However, I just have one complaint or a suggestion rather:

I was also wishing the weapons were a little more accessible and direct.
You know the little items-menu, not the inventory, but the round one.
I would expect that rather to be a press-and-hold-menu, like many games have,
and you move the mouse the direction of the item.
So not that you get a cursor, but that you just kind of light them up. Just think 'Crysis' or 'Battlefield 2(142)' or something like that.
Which, by the way, moves a little fast compared to the "camera"-movement, the cursor that is.
I know the menu, that you have to swap out items, is probably to give a limit and you can't use everything at once.
That's something I like, but it's also a little annoying at the same time, it ruins the flow of playing the game.
Not to say the pause (while being in the little menu) should be removed, but maybe... maybe not...
It just feels a bit like being in a menu, similar to the Inventory, rather than switching items, especially during fighting.
Otherwise it would be nice if you could scroll (the mouse-wheel) and toggle through your weapons/items,
if not with one or two assigned buttons.
I think, doing any of these things, it would improve the flow of the game so much.

Also, isn't it possible to make the Demo save its settings? So I can play it without setting them every start.
Well, for this one, I think I'll buy it soon enough anyway, so it won't be needed.

But this is definitely a game I'll buy while I wasn't even looking for it, I seriously found it by chance,
or should I say luck, just last night!
I just hope there will be a lot more to do and explore,
as I'm pretty sure there is enough seeing the great trailer at the end of the Demo.
Again, great job on the presentation, I'm looking forward to playing the full game.
I'm sure it will be a classic in at least some way, as it seems one of those "sleeper-hits".
Oh, and especially thanks for the quite extensive Demo, it's definitely appreciated.

PS:
If there is any Moderator or something around, I just noticed there is an 's' too many in the thread-title.
So if you would like to correct that, if even possible, please do so. :)

RadarTrap
22nd Aug 2009, 09:07
I would expect that rather to be a press-and-hold-menu, like many games have,
and you move the mouse the direction of the item.
Perhaps you should get it on console if you have one. That's exactly how it works on the PS3 version. :whistle:

Damage Inc.
22nd Aug 2009, 09:53
Perhaps you should get it on console if you have one. That's exactly how it works on the PS3 version. :whistle:

I only have a PlayStation 2, which I don't LOVE, but it's alright.
Strange that they didn't leave it the same for the PC.
Well... it seems like it was first done with the mouse, then changed for gamepads though.
You can't do it the same for consoles, hence the difference I guess.

I don't think it's made for PS2 too right? Well, even if so, I prefer the PCs graphics.
Especially for a game like this, which has its style to enjoy too. :)
The controls are indeed a bit edgy on the PC, but they aren't less than good in this game.
Hm, maybe I can program my SpeedPad to use the D-Pad as a sort of "stick".
You can, but I mean, I've tried it for other games and it's a little annoying, doesn't feel like a gamepad.
Hey, just an idea, maybe they could support the PCs 'Xbox 360'-controller specifically like they do with more PC-games. :)

RadarTrap
22nd Aug 2009, 10:11
It's my understanding that the 360 controller is officially supported for the PC version - but it's been disabled on the demo.

Damage Inc.
22nd Aug 2009, 10:58
It's my understanding that the 360 controller is officially supported for the PC version - but it's been disabled on the demo.

Ah, not in the full version? That would be cool, would fit well in this game.

RadarTrap
22nd Aug 2009, 11:28
You seem to have read that backwards. In the demo you can't use the controller. In the full version the Xbox 360 controller will be officially supported. :)

One of the guys from IOI will be able to confirm - but I'd imagine that if you're playing on PC with the 360 controller then all the menus etc will work in the same way as the console versions.

Acid_Burn
22nd Aug 2009, 12:35
Some people can play the demo with their X360 controller. That is very strange.

Damage Inc.
22nd Aug 2009, 17:43
You seem to have read that backwards. In the demo you can't use the controller. In the full version the Xbox 360 controller will be officially supported. :)

One of the guys from IOI will be able to confirm - but I'd imagine that if you're playing on PC with the 360 controller then all the menus etc will work in the same way as the console versions.

Oh, I meant like "Not disabled in the full version?" and not "Not available in the full version?". :D

But yeah, I don't have one of them though, I'm thinking about getting a gamepad for this type of games.
And, even though I really like the PS-controller,
how it might as well be an Xbox360-one as it's from Microsoft... on a platform with Windows, which makes sense...
Besides, a whole bunch of games support that one specifically, as once again with this one. :)