PDA

View Full Version : Which graphic novel is better

welshy80
20th Aug 2009, 21:25
I have only recently become a big batman fan as before i only knew the character from TAS and the films and i have only a basice knowledge of his comic history. i thought that to pass the time until Batman:AA i might as well buy my first batman graphic novel and was wondering which i should get. Batman: year one, the killing joke, the joker or arkham asylum a serious house on serious earth.

door noob
20th Aug 2009, 21:27
Year one is in my opinion the best out of your selection, it is good for you because it establishes batman's beginning on crime fighting, I enjoyed it the most out of the three.

LemonLoafer
Arkham or TKJ, TKJ is a masterpiece though imo.

AdamWest
The Killing Joke is some pretty sick stuff IMO and Year One is also very good

Azkadellia93
20th Aug 2009, 21:29
I myself prefer The Long Halloween & Dark Victory....TKJ is pretty darn good too.

Drazar
20th Aug 2009, 21:32
I'd recommend Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth because alot of things are inspirred from that very comic book, theres nothing better then being a comic book nerd and see the things from comic come to live and give you this gigglish feeling.

MarleyMon81
20th Aug 2009, 21:32
Killing Joke is interesting in that it offers another opinion into the origin of the Joker. Arkham Asylum may be a little advanced and confusing to a newer Batman fan as it's far out there and the style can be confusing if you're not familiar with the back story.

There was a graphic novel I had long ago in black and white trade paperback form called The Untold Legend of the Batman. It was a fantastic read and was a great look into a possible explanation into what made him become Batman and and what makes him tick.

welshy80
20th Aug 2009, 21:33
thanks for all the info on the different novels guys. help vey much appreciated

Talvrae
20th Aug 2009, 21:36
Killing Joke is interesting in that it offers another opinion into the origin of the Joker. Arkham Asylum may be a little advanced and confusing to a newer Batman fan as it's far out there and the style can be confusing if you're not familiar with the back story.

I agreed on Arkham Asylum... it's for now the only Batman comic i have, and yeah it's confusing and i didnt like the art eighter... I taught it was quite random

Matches Malone
20th Aug 2009, 21:42
Even if it doesn't end up being your favorite book. You should definitely get Year One.

angleslam99
20th Aug 2009, 22:02
You cant go wrong with either TKJ or Year One

The Comedian
20th Aug 2009, 22:05
Year One, Joker, or Arkham Asylum. Killing Joke is good but overrated.

SolidSnake_123
20th Aug 2009, 22:29
I would recommend Arkham Asylum because you really get to see the bizarre relationship with the Batman and Joker, plus its got some of the most grittiest art I have ever seen

kazinya91
20th Aug 2009, 22:42
i love the dark knight returns but its not helpful if ya dont know much about the backstory but once you do its amazing i love it.

Old_BenKenobi
20th Aug 2009, 22:45
Year One is the Batman starting point.

Dr. Crane
20th Aug 2009, 22:57
What about Long Halloween?

Billyman
20th Aug 2009, 23:03
Read all of them....they're all great Batman stories

Talvrae
20th Aug 2009, 23:05
Just to know what people think of the No Man Lands serie?

rebeldrummer
20th Aug 2009, 23:08
Year One...gotta start at the beginning.

Old_BenKenobi
20th Aug 2009, 23:42

It's very long but very cool.

amadeus_arkham
20th Aug 2009, 23:44
Year one is in my opinion the best out of your selection, it is good for you because it establishes batman's beginning on crime fighting, I enjoyed it the most out of the three.

agreed year one is a must for all batman fans

Talvrae
20th Aug 2009, 23:46
It's very long but very cool.

I noticed it,s long have done some research on amazon, there is something like 5 tomes... was wondering if it was cool, i think about getting it among some others thing
(I'm starting to have a nice collection of X-Men and want to have a good Batman one too so i look what seem to be good (Have Arkham Asylum a serous house on a serious Earth( i didnt really like it sdly ;( ) And have ordered Killing Joke, and i'm building a wish list on amazon.ca of thouse i would want)

SladeTeck
20th Aug 2009, 23:52
All are great reads for true Batman fans. Year One though is a great starting point to work into this sort of thing, as has mostly and already been stated.

Of course though, once you've finished reading all the Batman books one can get your hands on, you must further expand and blow your mind by reading the Elseworlds Batman books. Like Gotham by Gaslight, or the Vampire Batman books, I also enjoyed the always amusing Batman: In Darkest Knight. Basically what if Batman was given the Green Lantern ring.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting/reading.

Zhim
21st Aug 2009, 00:04
I'd recommend Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth because alot of things are inspirred from that very comic book, theres nothing better then being a comic book nerd and see the things from comic come to live and give you this gigglish feeling.

yes.

The Fans
21st Aug 2009, 00:17
If I had to pick one it would be The Killing Joke.

fatal shadow
21st Aug 2009, 00:54
Depends.
door noob made a good point about Year One. If you're looking to start off with Batman's beginning, it's a great choice.
Though if you're particularly interested in the Batman-Joker relationship, I recommend TKJ.

I quite enjoyed the Fear of Faith issues from No Man's Land.

iamtombombadil
21st Aug 2009, 01:13
How is Dark Victory? I really enjoyed "the long halloween" and am currently reading through Hush. I looked through The Dark Knight Returns and wasn't sure so I passed on it for now. Something about the way it is drawn. However, I have heard the story is very good.

fatal shadow
21st Aug 2009, 01:31
A very good sequel in my opinion. Definitely worth a read.

andytofun
21st Aug 2009, 04:33
if you liked the long halloween and dark victory you better take a look on the broken city also

The_Clown_Prince_Of_Crime
21st Aug 2009, 07:59
I enjoyed The Joker,it's a pretty gritty read,the artwork is amazing & I like that the story is told from the perspective of the new guy in Joker's gang,it was a refreshing perspective.Killing Joke is a great read & so is Arkham Asylum.Year One is good but I found it to be quite overhyped due to it's Frank Miller connection,still worth reading though.Personally,I'd recommend Hush 1 & 2,it's a gripping read complimented by Jim Lee's beatiful artwork.Long Halloween & Dark Victory are ace too and try & get in all 3 parts of the epic Knightfall if you have the money.Hope that helps my good man

JamieMadr0x
21st Aug 2009, 08:58

Ill be picking up some year one later this weekend to brush up on some Bat history ma damn self!

Bilbo of BagEnd
21st Aug 2009, 09:41
The Killing Joke is by far my favorite.

me_The_Joker
21st Aug 2009, 09:44
the killing joke was the first novel i got and it was worth it.

Pibbman
21st Aug 2009, 09:54
I finished reading Year one earlier, and it's definitely a good read, and the first comic for batman I've read. My only compliant is the art, it's pretty outdated. I've just been exposed to too much incredible quality art styles I guess.

Anyways, planning on Long Halloween next and then Knightfall I guess. Hush I'm definitely planning on since the artwork is amazing, but I'm reading the comics in chronological order, so it'll be a bit before I get to it.

welshy80
21st Aug 2009, 15:35
sorry my original post was a bit misleading i have read some stories but not actually owned any. i have read the hush and broken city stories. So does every agree that year one would be my best choice for first graphic novel ?

SolidSnake_123
3rd Sep 2009, 08:30
The killing Joke, and they all tie actually.

Revenant36
17th Sep 2009, 23:44
Somebody already said it, but get Year One. Unless it's the dynamic between Joker and Batman that makes you tick - then get The Killing Joke and The Man Who Laughs.

For those of you asking about No Man's Land - definitely worth a read, but you'll enjoy it much more if you read Cataclysm first.

If, however, it was Nolan's films that got you into Batman then read The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. I've not read The Broken City, could somebody either post or PM a brief synopsis (as spoiler free as possible please)?

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is excellent, but I'd wait til you were more familiar with the Batman world first. I've also got Arkham Asylum - Living Hell, but I've not read it yet...