PDA

View Full Version : Which Do You Prefer: The NES or DS Version?

member_10822883
31st May 2012, 00:23
Just out of curiousity. I think the DS version is really faithful to the original and great, but I can't help but wish we had still gotten a 2D remake like FFI&II did. The iOS port is pretty nice too, though. The sound is really nicely restored.

espritduo
31st May 2012, 00:31
I liked the DS version for what it was - the first and only official version of FFIII us English speakers were able to play. I had actually played the NES version of the game with a fan translation in preparation for the DS release, just so I could appreciate all the improvements of the new version. I loved the DS version, but I would love even more a Complete version for PSP like FFI, FFII, and FFIV got. I was dismayed when FFIV Complete was announced, since that pretty much doomed any chance of a FFIII Complete version. It was fun to see FFIII realized in 3D, but I would love to see it realized with the crisp, beautiful sprites of the PSP versions of FFI, II, and IV.

member_10822883
31st May 2012, 00:33
That's how I feel too. The NES version through a fan translation is what I grew up with, so that version by default is my favorite. III's also my favorite in the series, so I'd love an FFIII Anniversary/Complete Edition like I, II, and IV got.

SilverArrow20XX
31st May 2012, 07:53
I've been saying this for a while as well. A FFIII remake in the same vein as the FFI, FFII, and FFIV PSP versions would be awesome.

ilikeikeilikeik
31st May 2012, 11:57
I've only played the DS version. It's a great classic game, but I don't really care for that style of graphics. I prefer 2d sprites for games like this.

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 11:58
I've been saying this for a while as well. A FFIII remake in the same vein as the FFI, FFII, and FFIV PSP versions would be awesome.

This, would definitely pay for an HD 2D version of FFIII, though I love the DS version, being the only version released here.

I'd love the same for FFV and FFVI, but I see them doing 3DS remakes for those.

member_10803141
31st May 2012, 12:01
I liked the DS version better, even though it took 80 million years to reach the shores and I had already played it umpteen times beforehand translated :P

kupo1705
31st May 2012, 14:46
NES

The DS version is way too slow for me. And call me crazy, but I think it looks better.

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 14:48
NES

The DS version is way too slow for me. And call me crazy, but I think it looks better.

The iOS version (spruced up DS) looks pretty good I'd say, and I think it removes the MogNet thing for Onion Knight and the equipment.

ultrafantasy
31st May 2012, 18:39
NES, always go with the classics.

Automaton
2nd Jun 2012, 14:59
I've only played the DS version, so I'l have to go with that. But I was never really able to utilize Mognet at all, so I can't complete the sidequests related to it.

member_10822883
4th Jun 2012, 07:50
The Mognet thing was a bit silly. A little too early to work for wi-fi play and no real clear indication for the in-game Mognet quests.

Grimoire
7th Jun 2012, 16:08
The game will be released for the PSP:

twitpic.com/9tgf33 (http://twitpic.com/9tgf33)

p.twimg.com/Auxlll0CQAA0Cm9.jpg:large (https://p.twimg.com/Auxlll0CQAA0Cm9.jpg:large)

member_10822883
7th Jun 2012, 16:36
Pfft, but of course, in 3D. Yet because it's my favorite in the series, I'll be picking it up if it proves to be true.

Grimoire
7th Jun 2012, 16:43
According to next week's Jump, the information should be accurate.

member_10822883
7th Jun 2012, 16:53
Yeah, it's from a reliable source, so I'm thinking it's accurate. I just.. I can't wrap my head around why it'd be the 3D version when it'd completely kill the PSP Anniversary style continuity. Never know though; unless the written material says otherwise, those could just be stock photos they picked to go with the promo. Apparently they're giving the option of selecting the NES soundtrack like FFIV:CC allowed you to choose the SNES OSV. What a tease.

member_10074094
9th Jun 2012, 17:12
If it is the 3d version... I will buy it as long as mognet isn't in it. I generally don't mind multiplayer requirements for side stuff in a game, but I don't like it on handhelds... I never know anyone who has the game! Didn't really like FF3 that much anyways, would have prefered the original game as well, aside from the additional bosses/content they may have added (My real reason for prefering the newer ports of the series over the old ones)

member_10523116
16th Jun 2012, 11:34
NES with fan translation ftw.

DS version was a huge disappointment. Like someone else mentioned, when FFIV: Complete was announced, I knew that III would once again get the short end of the stick. This is just proof of that. It's a shame.

member_10101298
14th Jul 2012, 00:03
never got the chance to play the NES or DS version but i played the iOS version which i think is the same version as the DS but without the cutscenes and get the onion knight right at the begining, loved it. after playing most of FF games it was a really good game . Now i want to play FF I and FF II but i dont know if i should just wait for FF Dimensions , any suggetions?

Azure
14th Jul 2012, 01:02
NES with fan translation ftw.

DS version was a huge disappointment. Like someone else mentioned, when FFIV: Complete was announced, I knew that III would once again get the short end of the stick. This is just proof of that. It's a shame.

I see You really don't have any Idea about the Nes version so you just bash something you don't know . It is worse than the DS Version . Nes don't have main characters , no addition stuff ( don't even have super boss ) , jobs systerm is not as good as DS , Nes graphic is totally worse than DS so with all of that I choose the DS version .

member_10822883
14th Jul 2012, 11:50
I'm not sure how you're deducing that he doesn't know anything about the NES version. Most people tend to prefer the NES version, whether due to nostalgia, CP over temp. stat deduction, battle speed, graphical style, or one of the other differences. I myself just prefered the NES dungeons and found the new protagonists to be a waste. What's more, the NES version is my favorite Square title of all time.

adin_hughes
23rd Aug 2012, 22:12
The NES version all the way! The new DS remake doesnt hold up to the original title. A major graphic overhaul such as the conversion from 8bit to polygon is just too much to take in for such an old title. It ruined the game. Just like how I feel that if they were to modify FFVII in ANY way, it would change the original feel, and you just dont want to mess with a classic, III or VII!

Tsuko85-409817
25th Sep 2012, 18:47
Just out of curiousity. I think the DS version is really faithful to the original and great, but I can't help but wish we had still gotten a 2D remake like FFI&II did. The iOS port is pretty nice too, though. The sound is really nicely restored.

I perfer the 8bit version of FF III

adin_hughes
30th Oct 2012, 14:02
Original NES all the way! You change anything, and you change what made the game great in the first place! Despite this comment, I must say I really enjoyed the PSP UMD Anniversary editions.

keikoku01
18th Feb 2013, 01:52
I hope FINAL FANTASY III is re-released in NES style but with character and storyline from DS. Much like FF ! & II anniversary for psp or IV complete collection in 2D high resolution, because I hate the chibi version of characters (chibi version like FF III DS, XII Revenant Wing, etc)

moooka
18th Feb 2013, 02:36
The DS remake is absolutely great.

keikoku01
18th Feb 2013, 06:25
The DS remake is absolutely great.

yeah it's great, I enjoyed playing that too (except the character form). But I feel like I'm not playing FF classic, because it is more look like final fantasy crystal chronicle.

moooka
18th Feb 2013, 07:18
Because DS is a weak system, they needed to minimize the 3D objects so they made the characters look "chibi".

keikoku01
18th Feb 2013, 20:56
That's why, the great game need a great system too

If the character become chibi, it should be the ff crystal chronicle or gaiden, not the main series.

destruction7
27th Mar 2013, 05:07
Nes

play most easy and fast than DS.

Steedy
18th Jun 2014, 07:15
Slow on the uptake here but i prefer the NES version. I really do not understand why FFIII was not remade ala FFI and FFII Anniversary Editions (PSP/Vita/whatever).

I've got my fingers crossed for this. Will it ever happen... ? Who knows...

:-(

Bad move Square !