PDA

View Full Version : PC demo problems

J Paul
20th Aug 2009, 09:10
I just downloaded the PC demo, and I must say, I think it's pretty good. There's a problem, though:

The game will not recognize my 360 controller. The 360 controller is working, plugged in, and all other games recognize it correctly as an Xbox 360 controller and work appropriately. The Mini Ninjas demo, however, has the "use controller" option grayed out, and nothing I've tried so far has gotten the controller to work.

I'm sorry if this isn't an issue for anyone else, but I simply can't stand to play games like this with a keyboard and mouse. It feels pretty bad. The controls on the KB/M aren't nearly as good as what they should be, and it's obvious as to why this is: It's obviously a console game that's meant to be played with a gamepad. The PC controls are lacking because of this.

I simply won't be able to enjoy this game until I find a fix or a workaround for this issue.

Acid_Burn
20th Aug 2009, 09:28
The game will not recognize my 360 controller. The 360 controller is working, plugged in, and all other games recognize it correctly as an Xbox 360 controller and work appropriately. The Mini Ninjas demo, however, has the "use controller" option grayed out, and nothing I've tried so far has gotten the controller to work.
This function is turned off in the demo. In the full game you'll be able to use your gamepad.

J Paul
20th Aug 2009, 09:45
This function is turned off in the demo. In the full game you'll be able to use your gamepad.

Thank you for the answer. I did not know this was a design choice.

Why, though? I understand limiting areas, enemies, and other content such as this in a demo, since a demo is only meant to demonstrate the game to potential buyers, but removing a control method? What's the point in it?

How will I know whether or not I will want to buy the game if I can't even play it how I would actually play the full game? As I said before, it's just not enjoyable for me without a gamepad, so this is actually a pretty big deal.

Falkenwut
20th Aug 2009, 09:55
Q: Will the game support all gaming controllers? Coz I remember kane and lynch only supports Xbox 360 controllers.

moonspook
20th Aug 2009, 10:59
Hey,

I'm having a problem installing the Mini Ninjas demo. When it attempts to install the DirectX API, I get an error saying "Command line syntax incorrect" (or wording very close to that). On examining the log file the installer creates, it appears that the command line the installer uses to call the DirectX installer is indeed wrong.

The log reads it as:

"C:\DOCUME~1\AFE67~1.BRO\LOCALS~1\Temp\nsp68.tmp\directx_nov2008_redist.exe" /Q /C /T:\"C:\DOCUME~1\AFE67~1.BRO\LOCALS~1\Temp\nsp68.tmp\DirectX\"

The problem is the backslash directly after the /T parameter (../T:\"C...). If I try and run the command manually without that backslash, it installs fine. However, there's no way I've found of fooling the installer into continuing to run - it quits because it can't carry out the following command (because the file doesn't exist as it's not been extracted).

Any ideas? Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

MS

Barkhing
20th Aug 2009, 11:10
Funny because my (wired) Xbox 360 pad works great for me in the PC demo, no problem.

Acid_Burn
20th Aug 2009, 11:37
Q: Will the game support all gaming controllers? Coz I remember kane and lynch only supports Xbox 360 controllers.

Only X360 controller will be officially suppported.

SilentScream
20th Aug 2009, 11:54
Subj.

Intel 2.3Ghz
1.2Gb Ram
Radeon 3650
WinXP

i guess, it crashes then main menu should appear.(i seen a forest scene for 1sec, and then it crashed)

ozorgnax
20th Aug 2009, 13:04
I have exactly the samme problem.
I am running windows 7 beta, thinking that maybe the directx apis are conflicting with the dx 9.0c install?

Acid_Burn
20th Aug 2009, 14:37
No, it's definitely not Win7 issue. I have Win 7 RC. The game installs normally.

tyldd
20th Aug 2009, 18:28
Same problem... under Windows 7 RC

moonspook
20th Aug 2009, 20:10
I was trying to install on XP, and got the error, so, as said above, it isn't a Win7 issue.

MS

GreatStalin
20th Aug 2009, 21:09
Try right-clicking the installer and running as admin. That fixed it for me!

tyldd
20th Aug 2009, 21:51
Try right-clicking the installer and running as admin. That fixed it for me!

Not for me...:mad2:

GreatStalin
21st Aug 2009, 04:46
Not for me...:mad2:

Theeeennnn... download the latest DirectX and install it, and then try installing the game. That must've been what fixed it for me.

tyldd
21st Aug 2009, 06:23
Theeeennnn... download the latest DirectX and install it, and then try installing the game. That must've been what fixed it for me.

:scratch: windows 7 already has DX11 is a latest version of DX

moonspook
21st Aug 2009, 08:14
As I've already said, the problem is with the command that the installer calls to the external executable, as that executable reports an error back to the user, and I can run the correct version of the command line myself and it'll work without problem. This is not, apparently, a problem with the setup of our computers.

Remember it's OS-independent - the problem is happening with XP, Vista and Windows 7.

The only thing that boggles me is that it's not doing it with everyone..

MS

moonspook
21st Aug 2009, 11:00
I've tried redownloading the demo and it still has the same error in the install script.

MS

Shaori
22nd Aug 2009, 12:35
Hi guys,
i was really looking forward to this game and downloaded the demo yesterday. Unfortunately there is the same problem with the demo as was with Kane&Lynch that also comes from IoInteractive/Eidos.

Every 3 or 4 seconds there is a small freeze of about half a second. As said before this is the same as in Kane&Lynch and it is said by Eidos, that this is a "problem" with usb keyboards. :scratch:

My problem is, i use a Logitech G15 Keyboard and a Logitech G9 Laser Mouse.

Are there any solutions to this other than connecting the keyboard as ps2 (which is not an option for me because the g15 display will only work on usb, actually i doubt that the g15 will run under ps2) ?

I cannot really understand why there is the same problem like in Kane&Lynch. Usb keyboards are quite standard today so i think Io should have had a look into this problem.

Needless to say, that all the latest games i bought (for example Divinity 2, Anno 1404, Bionic Commando) run very well.

My System: Q6600, Geforce GTX 260, 4 Gigabyte Ram, Windows XP SP 3, Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3.

I really hope that someone has a solution other than disconnecting the keyboard. :mad2:

kind regards

Acid_Burn
22nd Aug 2009, 12:36
Do you have x64 system?

Shaori
22nd Aug 2009, 16:11
Do you have x64 system?

Hi,
no my system is 32 bit.

kind regards

Damage Inc.
22nd Aug 2009, 17:03

:scratch: windows 7 already has DX11 is a latest version of DX

That apparently doesn't have to mean anything.
I installed a game or two last night, as I remember 'ArmA II' and 'Fuel', the Demos that is.
And one of them whined about installing DirectX 9 or a part of it,
even though I already installed and ran many other games, full ones and Demos.

Then I also installed 'Mini Ninjas' last night on my Desktop, which has WinXProSP3.
Installed without a problem, runs great.
Now I wanted to install it on my sister's laptop, which has Windows Vista something,
I get the same issue as this thread is about.
I'll try some of the suggestions, but my hunch is that once I get some DirectX-update. it should work.

Edit:
Hokay, so I updated DirectX and it installed and ran fine now.
I just went to the official site, which is here: http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/AboutGFW/Pages/DirectX10-a.aspx
Just go for 'Download the latest DirectX' and 'Download' on the next page, then save and run it.
The file might seem like it's DirectX 9 and earlier, it probably is then.
But I have Vista here, with DirectX 10 of course, but it still fixed the problem.
So there you go, it should work then, otherwise I don't know what it could be.

Torot
23rd Aug 2009, 08:45
Hi,

I wanted to try the demo out with my Logitech Chillstream controller but it didn't work, I was able to controll the game only with muse+keyboard and in the options menu the controller on/of option was grey.
Can you help me to make my controller work in this game?

Thanks!

Torot

Nick@IO
23rd Aug 2009, 15:34
Hi,

I wanted to try the demo out with my Logitech Chillstream controller but it didn't work, I was able to controll the game only with muse+keyboard and in the options menu the controller on/of option was grey.
Can you help me to make my controller work in this game?

Thanks!

Torot

I've asked around and it seems that the only officially supported controller for the game is the Xbox 360 controller. You may be able to update your controller driver and make that work but it's not something we can promise.

Falkenwut
23rd Aug 2009, 18:31
However there is a way to fool your pc that your controller is an xbox 360 controller. I haven't tested it out for mini ninjas though: I'll supply the link for anyone who wishes to test this; I'm not sure if this falls under copyright violation though. I've done it before for Kane and Lynch to play co-op mode.

http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4

and if that doesn't work, more info here:

http://www.techenclave.com/gaming/xbox-360-controller-emulator-119197.html

I use a Windows XP 32 bit and a generic 12 button, 2 joystick gamepad. This thing will disable the vibration system and MAY confuse some buttons (generally the start and select buttons). There MAY be problems with 64 bit and Other Windows Versions.

Also Works great with other games for windows live that "don't" support regular gamepads.

I recommend you guys at IOI to test other controllers before making such options. (Even get a cheap controller and try it out)

EDIT: Best of luck to whoever's testing it; it involves going through your PC's System files and registries, so be careful

GojiraPrime
23rd Aug 2009, 23:46
I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem as me, but I'm having real problems with the demo of MN.

It loads up, I get the logo screens and the legal blurb. Then I get a loading bar, then nothing on the screen. A blank, black screen with music. If I press enter twice, I get 2 opening cut-scenes which seem to be fine, but when they've finished I get another blank screen (this one is a light grey colour). :hmm:

I have a wired Xbox 360 controller attached to my PC, and if I move the analogue stick I can hear footsteps, or if I press the button I can hear attacking noises and such, so it seems like the game is playing, but I can't see it. I can only quit the game by using the Task Manager as I can't use the menus.

Help. :scratch:

RadarTrap
24th Aug 2009, 00:11
Sounds like your graphics card doesn't support shader 3.0 or something.

GojiraPrime
24th Aug 2009, 00:43
Well, it'll happily run Crysis, Oblivion, the new Batman demo and other such graphical tasties, so I'm thinking it probably does.

For the record I have 2 Geforce 8800GTS 512MB cards in an SLI configuration. I'm also running Windows Vista (32bit) with Direct X 10 installed. I have a Core 2 Duo processor running at 2.7Ghz and 3GB of ram. It's not the powerhouse it used to be, but it should be sufficient.

I've made sure all my drivers are up to date. I've tried switching SLI off. I've rebooted several times. I've even tried deleting the steam version I was using and downloading it fresh from the official website.:mad2:

Barkhing
24th Aug 2009, 01:28
Thanks for the tip! Indeed, the USB keyboard (Microsoft in this case) is what is causing the stuttering for me. If I unplug it, the stuttering goes away. Since I can play the game with the Xbox 360 controller, I don't need the keyboard but it's still a bit annoying to have to unplug it every time I want to play.

Did they ever fix it in Kane and Lynch? If not, that's kind of sad. Most people use USB keyboards nowdays. I really hope they can patch this in the full game.

Vindicated
24th Aug 2009, 05:26
The installation gets about half way done (to the part where it installs DirectX 9.0c) and I get the following error every time (I've tried five times now):

DirectX runtime for November 2008
Command line option syntax error. Type command /? for help.

Why can't I get the demo to install? I'm going to try and install DirectX seperately from the Windows website to see if that helps, but if not, why would it have a problem right there?

Vindicated
24th Aug 2009, 06:36
After updating DirectX from the Windows website everything worked fine. Seems kind of odd that the installation for DirectX the game has didn't work though.

The demo is awesome, love the game, can't wait until it comes out.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2009, 07:37
The fact Vista/Windows 7 comes with DX10/11 is irrelevant the game is based on DirectX 9, which is a DIFFERENT version so will still need to be updated to ensure you are running `latest` dx9..

Shaori
24th Aug 2009, 12:01
Thanks for the tip! Indeed, the USB keyboard (Microsoft in this case) is what is causing the stuttering for me. If I unplug it, the stuttering goes away. Since I can play the game with the Xbox 360 controller, I don't need the keyboard but it's still a bit annoying to have to unplug it every time I want to play.

Did they ever fix it in Kane and Lynch? If not, that's kind of sad. Most people use USB keyboards nowdays. I really hope they can patch this in the full game.

Hi,
no they never patched it in Kane&Lynch :(

Until they fix it in Mini Ninjas, i won't buy the game since i play these games with mouse/keyboard. But i doubt they will fix it :(

Come on Io-Interactive you can do it :D

kind regards

Vindicated
24th Aug 2009, 21:42
The fact Vista/Windows 7 comes with DX10/11 is irrelevant the game is based on DirectX 9, which is a DIFFERENT version so will still need to be updated to ensure you are running `latest` dx9..

Will this ever be changed? Kind of odd you have to "install/update" to an older version for a "new" game.

jaywalker2309
24th Aug 2009, 22:23
Will this ever be changed? Kind of odd you have to "install/update" to an older version for a "new" game.

You have to think of DirectX9 as a different `product` to DirectX10/11..

If a game is supporting Windows XP it has to support DirectX9. Therefore its normal.

Damage Inc.
25th Aug 2009, 11:22
I just downloaded the PC demo, and I must say, I think it's pretty good. There's a problem, though:

I'm sorry if this isn't an issue for anyone else, but I simply can't stand to play games like this with a keyboard and mouse. It feels pretty bad. The controls on the KB/M aren't nearly as good as what they should be, and it's obvious as to why this is: It's obviously a console game that's meant to be played with a gamepad. The PC controls are lacking because of this.

I simply won't be able to enjoy this game until I find a fix or a workaround for this issue.

It's not as bad as you make it out to be.
Be sure you have a good "keyboard", myself I don't use one, but a SpeedPad.
Then a good mouse is essential.
And note, good doesn't mean one with the highest-end laser-engine with thousands of dpi and enough lights.
But one that fits your hand right and moves well for you.
As for the dpi actually, for a game like this it should be smooth, so at "low" or "medium" rather.

The only "complaint" about the controls is that the movement-controls with buttons,
which is probably the part J Paul means, are kind of edgy.
But they can't do anything about that I guess, it's how buttons work.
I'd like to try a gamepad, but I'm afraid I won't like the camera as I'm familiar with the PS2.
Hm, I wish I could get the D-pad to work on my SpeedPad... but the game won't react to it...
Hey... maybe in the full game when it supports gamepads? :D
Cause I think this thing is also partly seen as a gamepad, for the D-pad that is.

Falkenwut
25th Aug 2009, 18:59
There is a workaround to the system of using a regular gamepad by fooling Windows that you have an xbox 360 controller attached. I won't share the details on this forum since it MAY be violating copyright infrigmentation. (I am unsure to be honest)

Damage Inc.
26th Aug 2009, 11:00
There is a workaround to the system of using a regular gamepad by fooling Windows that you have an xbox 360 controller attached. I won't share the details on this forum since it MAY be violating copyright infrigmentation. (I am unsure to be honest)

Yeah, but the Demo doesn't even support the X360-controller, unlike the full game.
So it probably still wouldn't work.
Unless that fools the system and game altogether, but I wouldn't know.

Barkhing
27th Aug 2009, 05:50
Again, despite whatever was said earlier on the forum, the PC demo DOES support the Xbox-360 controller, I just used it today with no problems. Sorry if it's not working for some people. :(

Damage Inc.
27th Aug 2009, 15:34
Again, despite whatever was said earlier on the forum, the PC demo DOES support the Xbox-360 controller, I just used it today with no problems. Sorry if it's not working for some people. :(

Hm, they did mention somewhere it might work with a workaround.
That probably also means that it might work by chance, like your case.
But they just don't support it, which doesn't mean they purposely made it dysfunctional.
Once they support it, it means they'll support it technically and it shóuld work.

Falkenwut
29th Aug 2009, 13:45
I have tested out the work-around system of fooling Windows of owning an Xbox 360 Controller. It works briliantly.
I will need a permission from the owners of the game to allow me to post how to do the work around. Otherwise I cannot post the method online.

yaano
9th Sep 2009, 16:13
Hey guys ! Please try to help becoz when i hit enter to start the game the first , I see a movie as you all did. And then suddenly my laptop freezes for 3 seconds and the i get an error message which says

"Mini Ninjas demo has stopped working"

And the game get closed and i am never being able to play the demo.
Thats kind sad :(

Hope anyone can help!

thanks in advance!

Damage Inc.
9th Sep 2009, 19:01
Hey guys ! Please try to help becoz when i hit enter to start the game the first , I see a movie as you all did. And then suddenly my laptop freezes for 3 seconds and the i get an error message which says

"Mini Ninjas demo has stopped working"

And the game get closed and i am never being able to play the demo.
Thats kind sad :(

Hope anyone can help!

thanks in advance!

Try to update the DirectX too, then also other drivers like your videocard's.
That's no guarantee it will work, but it might just fix it.
I have no idea what it could be though, if it just stops working I mean.

yaano
9th Sep 2009, 19:50
Try to update the DirectX too, then also other drivers like your videocard's.
That's no guarantee it will work, but it might just fix it.
I have no idea what it could be though, if it just stops working I mean.

I did update my directX for it to install because of an error which is fixed
It i will try to update my videocard.(Can u tell me to to update? I recently got Alzheimer which made me forgot a lot of things)

i use vista 32 bit

ploven
11th Sep 2009, 07:23
Do you have x64 system?

I however DO run with a x64 system, are there any known problems (and fixes) for the 'freezing' ? - and by 'freezing' I am referring to the "play for 5 seconds, don't for 20 seconds" bug :(

/ploven

running on win 7, x64, amd quad core 2,3ghz, 5 gb ram, and nvidia gt120

Loriza
25th Oct 2009, 10:26
Windows 7 is not supported by Mini Ninjas. :(