PDA

View Full Version : I ussually don't do this but... LISTEN TO ME DEVELOPERS...!

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
18th Aug 2009, 11:54
Hey people, this is serious! You still have time until the game comes out so I have to ask you for it. Remove that flashy whatever thing that turns things/enemies red when you attack them. That's odd!
Anyone else think so?

Hobodealer
18th Aug 2009, 16:01
Yeah I thought that was a glitch or something.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
18th Aug 2009, 17:00
I thought it was some kind of debug mode (as it hopefuly is the virtual invincibility in the 10 minute video).
Please remove it! What would be the point on that?

Orange Freeze
18th Aug 2009, 18:22
Hey people, this is serious! You still have time until the game comes out so I have to ask you for it. Remove that flashy whatever thing that turns things/enemies red when you attack them. That's odd!
Anyone else think so?

I agree. It's too "arcadey". It makes you very aware that you're playing a video game, rather than exploring a living, breathing world.

PoorBison
18th Aug 2009, 22:28
I agree. It's too "arcadey". It makes you very aware that you're playing a video game, rather than exploring a living, breathing world.Heh, another one from Pandemic... welcome! :D (If you are the same Orange Freeze, that is)

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
18th Aug 2009, 22:36
Hey, we need suporters! The red thing must be taken away!

FOBfan1995
18th Aug 2009, 23:36
Hear, Hear!

chain94
19th Aug 2009, 00:35
Hear, Hear!

yeah, what he said

CentroX
19th Aug 2009, 03:48
it doesnt bother me at all. They should concentrate on other things.

Orange Freeze
19th Aug 2009, 04:16
Heh, another one from Pandemic... welcome! :D (If you are the same Orange Freeze, that is)

Thank you sir! :wave:

Actually, I've been reading this forum for a while, but I joined specifically because of this thread. :whistle:

Anyway, I don't think it would be a big issue for the developers to remove the "red flash."
I'm positive that it's only temporary, and will be replaced by the more realistic alternative: the old "blood spray" effect. (And when I say realistic, I mean rational.)

For the people who do not understand why we don't like the "red flash," this is why:

In Just Cause 2 the game world is a massive world, full of life and detail. Things need to react when the player acts. Bullet holes, explosions, sound effects, etc.. The world needs to react to the player in order to maintain immersion, and a gripping atmosphere. If you shoot another character, and the character quickly turns a different color, it makes you very aware that you are playing a videogame, and it kills the immersion, When shot at, the enemies should get filled up with bullet holes, or emit blood so the player feels rewarded for his/her actions.

Get it?

FOBfan1995
19th Aug 2009, 04:51
So what he's saying is that we want to believe we are really killing people and watching their blood spray lol. No but seriously, it just looks really stupid when someone flashes red. I'm not begging for blood but I don't think it will be too hard to just get rid of the flashing red.

Hobodealer
19th Aug 2009, 10:42
Yeah, really arcadey. I agree it should have gore, but not so much the enemies ae flashing red!

FOBfan1995
19th Aug 2009, 14:46
In the mni-doc, the flashing wasn't too bad and in some places, it didn't look like there was flashing at all.

beethamwest
19th Aug 2009, 15:04
It was there but lasts less than a second. I am sure they will realise it is not a feature we want so therefore it will be removed. Still, some of them vistas are going to blow minds. JC1 looks so cartoon like in comparison, but back then when JC1 was just out, we all thought the scenery and water was second to non.

I can't wait til Feb 2010 :D

chain94
19th Aug 2009, 15:23
It was there but lasts less than a second. I am sure they will realise it is not a feature we want so therefore it will be removed. Still, some of them vistas are going to blow minds. JC1 looks so cartoon like in comparison, but back then when JC1 was just out, we all thought the scenery and water was second to non.

I can't wait til Feb 2010 :D

Febuary? where'd you hear that

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
19th Aug 2009, 16:05
Back to the red thing, I guess we all agree. It's not such a terrible thing but it's no good, and it shouldn't be hard to remove it. This is Just Cause, not Metal Slug.

chain94
19th Aug 2009, 17:32
Back to the red thing, I guess we all agree. It's not such a terrible thing but it's no good, and it shouldn't be hard to remove it. This is Just Cause, not Metal Slug.

:thumb:

Hobodealer
19th Aug 2009, 18:29
Exelcior!

jaywalker2309
19th Aug 2009, 21:01
Main reason for the red is to indicate your current target. With pretty much the entire game being targetable there has to be some way to give clear indication to user, in a `rico` way...

You kinda missing the point if dont see this as an elegant way to do it, remember rico can grappel onto a helicopter then get inside it after hanging and flying thru the blades. Taking it self seriously is not something the game does. Remember that :)

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
19th Aug 2009, 21:39
Main reason for the red is to indicate your current target. With pretty much the entire game being targetable there has to be some way to give clear indication to user, in a `rico` way...

You kinda missing the point if dont see this as an elegant way to do it, remember rico can grappel onto a helicopter then get inside it after hanging and flying thru the blades. Taking it self seriously is not something the game does. Remember that :)

Mmm, that about indicating the target could be a reason, same as the shine in Assassins Creed or something right? But things turn red when something hits them, it seems that I'm not the only one who has had the same impression of it being as a classic arcade. And it's good to see Rico doing crazy stuff but the visuals are realistic anyway. I can't agree and I personally would preffer this feature being removed for the sake of natural visuals.

awesome_man
19th Aug 2009, 23:08
i kinda agree...but it only bothered me like when there was an explosion and they blink red...it was kind of weird

Orange Freeze
20th Aug 2009, 01:13
Mmm, that about indicating the target could be a reason, same as the shine in Assassins Creed or something right? But things turn red when something hits them, it seems that I'm not the only one who has had the same impression of it being as a classic arcade. And it's good to see Rico doing crazy stuff but the visuals are realistic anyway. I can't agree and I personally would preffer this feature being removed for the sake of natural visuals.

Yeah... They're going for a cinematic approach right? Well, the red flash doesn't contribute anything to that, then. When's the last time you saw a film in which the villain changed colors upon being shot? It's just not as satisfying.

Edit: And by the way, this has nothing to do with how serious the game takes itself. That's completely irrelevant. What we're looking at here, is case of visual consistency. Clearly, the game world is full of vibrant, lush, and organic settings and models. To have this red flash envelop the characters breaks that consistency, and makes it look more like a simulator.

Hobodealer
20th Aug 2009, 08:56
I know there must be a way to indicate the threat, but the indication of that is, someone shooting at you!!! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we want realism not easyism.

Also, if you can't get rid of it, why not recommend a feature, where you can turn it on and off in the settings? That way it would make realistic gamers, and arcade gamers happy.

Remember it's not about the profit, it's about the community!

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
20th Aug 2009, 13:46
Looks like the mayority of us don't like it, I hope developers take it as feedback from the future players and do what is better for all.

I know there must be a way to indicate the threat, but the indication of that is, someone shooting at you!!! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we want realism not easyism.

Also, if you can't get rid of it, why not recommend a feature, where you can turn it on and off in the settings? That way it would make realistic gamers, and arcade gamers happy.

Remember it's not about the profit, it's about the community!

There you have it. Options are the best option.

FOBfan1995
20th Aug 2009, 17:03
I agree.^

brauny
21st Aug 2009, 04:47
Im totally with u guys on this one. I can see it now. I'll do some totally sweet dive from a flying plane and when i land i shoot someone and they turn red, def takes any of the badass right out of that scene. And about taking itself seriously, a way cooler thing to do is have a bunch of blood pour out of their wounds as their shot like mortal kombat but not so ridiculous. that would be badass.

PoorBison
21st Aug 2009, 09:33
The red flash would make this game feel like Crackdown (highly recommended by the way, brilliant open-world game) which had a similar thing with their enemies. Crackdown suited this, as the game is rendered to resemble a cartoon, complete with black outlines around objects.

You are correct in saying that Just Cause 2 would not suit this. This hopefully might just be a debug feature, to show hit-detection from weapons.

If not, I'm sure there will be an option in the game menu to disable this red-flash.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
21st Aug 2009, 11:31
The on/off option would be the best choive to please all, although almost nobody seems to like it this far. And there is already enough blood to have no need of the red flash!

justcause
21st Aug 2009, 16:05
i didn't read all the posts so you might have stopped talking about this now but, the flashing red enemies thing is weird. With the release date so far away this game had better be perfect :P

PoorBison
21st Aug 2009, 23:17
Oh, it wont be perfect, but it will be incredibly well polished, don't worry.

brauny
22nd Aug 2009, 04:00
It just might be perfect. The dual hook itself has already made this a def buy for me. With all the bugs fixed from the first game like the entire forest rotating when you fly a plane we just might have the perfect game. This game could end up being more useful than duct tape and that is saying alot

Maxii
22nd Aug 2009, 20:54
Oh, it wont be perfect, but it will be incredibly well polished, don't worry.

Agreed :D

QCypher
22nd Aug 2009, 21:11
Agreed :D

Hey. Another dude from the Bat forums.

Maxii
23rd Aug 2009, 03:20
Hey. Another dude from the Bat forums.

Believe it! lol :)

PoorBison
23rd Aug 2009, 08:58
It just might be perfect. The dual hook itself has already made this a def buy for me. With all the bugs fixed from the first game like the entire forest rotating when you fly a plane we just might have the perfect game. This game could end up being more useful than duct tape and that is saying alotOh? You mean the trees that rotate to face the player because they are rendered in 2D until you go up close? Its not a bug, it was intentional. Almost every game with trees or bushes includes that effect :)

Look at the current Just Cause 2 screenshots... all the distant trees are 2D. Until we go close to them when they look like the render properly, we can expect mass tree rotation.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
23rd Aug 2009, 12:48
Ahh, the rotating forest... that sucked sooo much! I hope they tweak it for good.

CentroX
24th Aug 2009, 03:05
dont worry, the Avs engine 2.0 is a beast :D

PoorBison
24th Aug 2009, 03:53
Doesn't matter how good the engine is, its the best way to render trees. I can guarantee that we will still see tree rotation, but it wont be as bad as it is in JC1. I think all the trees close to the player will be constructed so they don't have to rotate, but distant ones will be flat and require rotation.

dark_angel_7
24th Aug 2009, 14:18
Doesn't matter how good the engine is, its the best way to render trees. I can guarantee that we will still see tree rotation, but it wont be as bad as it is in JC1. I think all the trees close to the player will be constructed so they don't have to rotate, but distant ones will be flat and require rotation.

Most likely. Better PC's may be quicker at rendering though I think...

brauny
24th Aug 2009, 16:06
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. i shed a tear everytime i see a tree rotate because i realize that this world is fake and i still have homework to do. Please get rid of rotating trees and let my homework wait for weeks I say, WEEKS

polimerjones
24th Aug 2009, 17:23
That would be cool though if you could set them on fire though.

hotduk
24th Aug 2009, 21:26
It's already been said a bunch of times, but I figure one more vote for no-flashy-red-thing can't hurt.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
24th Aug 2009, 22:20
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. i shed a tear everytime i see a tree rotate because i realize that this world is fake and i still have homework to do. Please get rid of rotating trees and let my homework wait for weeks I say, WEEKS

What he said

It's already been said a bunch of times, but I figure one more vote for no-flashy-red-thing can't hurt.

One more vote!

keeshondown
25th Aug 2009, 02:22
Here's my vote for an option to remove the red flashing.

And devs...

I only signed up with the forum (although I read through it often) to show support to the Lose-the-Red-Flashing-Thingy Campaign. I love Just Cause 1; and I, just like everyone else on this forum, want this to be the best gaming experience ever.

So please, don't take it personally. If you happen to pick my name for the Colonel Competition please don't throw it in the garbage.

brauny
25th Aug 2009, 02:34
yea we wanna be able to go up to our friends that don't have the game and be like suck it and we can't do that if we have some dumb red flashy thingy when we hit ppl. this is a real game not a game on the wii (yea i said it) so please make it sweet or else we will form an unhappy motorcycle gang and bad mouth you whenever we have free time and we remember to do so ;):)

lihuyt
1st Sep 2009, 08:28

I agree, although it would be nice if this featuture could be selectable, so that when I'm playing it on my pc, I could turn it on or off; this way each player could choose what they find comfortable.

Btw. in JC1 it often felt a bit wierd when shooting enemies, they could take a bit too much headshots (especially the big bosses), will this be different in JC2? No biggy, just would be nice.

Hobodealer
1st Sep 2009, 13:35
Ahh, the rotating forest... that sucked sooo much! I hope they tweak it for good.

I thought I was the only one!!!

Hobodealer
1st Sep 2009, 13:37
Also, has anyone else noticed that Rico rarely says things. I had the game for almost 2 years and only heard him speak in free roam about 6 times!

Dedimes
1st Sep 2009, 15:24
/\ double post
|
|
why not just add a debug mode.

whilst enabled, achievements and trophy's are disabled, and a disclaimer reading : You are about to enter Debug mode. Enabling certain options may make the game slow, or even freeze!

that way, it could make a lot of people happy just by using options like

infinite ammo
infinite health
disable 2d trees
disable red flashy thing

but a better idea would be to have the last 2 in the regular options, because you might still want achievements while playing :P
Also, I liked Rico's quiet nature. 1. pet peeve in mercs 2 is saying the same thing 100000000000000 times. when jumping out of a helicopter:Who needs a chute!?!?! unless they can make lots of things for rico to say, i would keep him generally quiet.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
1st Sep 2009, 18:07
Also, I liked Rico's quiet nature. 1. pet peeve in mercs 2 is saying the same thing 100000000000000 times. when jumping out of a helicopter:Who needs a chute!?!?! unless they can make lots of things for rico to say, i would keep him generally quiet.

Agree with that. I prefer quiet Rico. His face speaks by itself, he looks badass this way.

deathlaroy
2nd Sep 2009, 00:08
agreed

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
6th Sep 2009, 12:50
Me worring about any possible issue in Just Cause 2:
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/05/smart_heroes/image/bruce_banner_hulk.jpg

Me waiting for a too far release date:
http://sobrecomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/el-increible-hulk.jpg

Me watching people, fences, anything turning red when hit:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/344060-27930-hulk_super.jpg

The red flash sucks sooo hard! For the sake of the Dual Hook, get rid of it!!!

chickenchief
6th Sep 2009, 15:11
Yeah the red flashes should be taken out.

AND they should also tone down the depth field effect so that it is possible to see enemies that are 100 meters ahead of you at least..

brauny
6th Sep 2009, 15:13
The depth thing isn't as important as the red flash, it's just freakin ridiculous

chickenchief
6th Sep 2009, 15:14
The depth thing isn't as important as the red flash, it's just freakin ridiculous

True, just putting it out there.

brauny
6th Sep 2009, 15:17
Gotcha. We should all make our signatures somehow involve getting rid of the red flash. Then the devs might get it

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
6th Sep 2009, 18:35

Mmm, I just remembered... Maybe he missunderstood us and thought we were talking about the reticule turning from white to red?

Anyway I guess today we all know and hate the red flash.

Begone red flash, you embarrash my magnificent glory!
The Almighty Dual Hook has spoken!

brauny
6th Sep 2009, 23:39
Yea the red flash is frankenstein and were the angry mob. MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER!!!!!!!!! lol

PoorBison
7th Sep 2009, 07:18
Imagine how many things will flash if you spray an area with a mini-gun, or use a big explosive. Kinda makes ya' feel ill thinkin' about it...

Mr Chainsaw
7th Sep 2009, 09:12
Gotcha. We should all make our signatures somehow involve getting rid of the red flash. Then the devs might get it

Hey check out my new signature:D:D:D

PoorBison
7th Sep 2009, 09:44
Someone should use the Just Cause fansite kit to make a website entirely about removing the red-flash :D

Kitchenfork
7th Sep 2009, 10:59
Ha ha, It's dam funny watching you people hate on the red flashy thing, it has become quite infamous......but I do agree, it is a little annoying having everything flash red but I'm sure once your playing the actual game its not as noticeable,,,, and who knows, maybe even some of you may come to love the red flash.

PoorBison
7th Sep 2009, 11:22
Yeah, maybe we wont notice it. Still gets in the way a bit though... we should count our blessings though, imagine if it looked like this:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/124/flashm.jpg

dark_angel_7
7th Sep 2009, 11:39
What? I dont see it! What is he aiming at?! :D

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
7th Sep 2009, 11:46
Damn! The red flash has grown more powerful and has turned into the red nova to turn us all red!
Oh, look, the misterious flat cloud is there too!

polimerjones
7th Sep 2009, 13:27
in that pic above whats he doin with 13 wii remotes

QCypher
7th Sep 2009, 13:31
in that pic above whats he doin with 13 wii remotes

Hahaha...lol

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
7th Sep 2009, 14:08
Nooooooo! The red flash took over a whole half of this game!
Ingame Wet pic:
http://www.game-boyz.com/content/files/wet%205.jpg

brauny
7th Sep 2009, 16:36
13 wii remotes lmao. And if i really have ti live with it i can but it will be a very anry filled life lol

PoorBison
8th Sep 2009, 05:31
As long as we don't make the mistake of shooting and damaging the ground we might not notice it...

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8675/redx.jpg

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
8th Sep 2009, 12:32
As long as we don't make the mistake of shooting and damaging the ground we might not notice it...

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8675/redx.jpg

Aaww! My eyes!

KubaD
8th Sep 2009, 16:39
Aaaaa! Radioactive Red Forest!

Hobodealer
8th Sep 2009, 16:43
It's too late. Before we know it, Avalanche Studios itself will be an infestation of Redingness. SAVE US RICO!

PoorBison
9th Sep 2009, 07:39
Haha, yeah, its too late to save ourselves now... we have to give in to the red.

ALL HAIL RED.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
8th Oct 2009, 22:25
BUMP!
:mad:
What's this about these polls pro-red flash? Remember the hatred? Remember the reasons for wich we started to ask for it being removed? It was not a competition about what should be added to the game! Nobody said "c'mon ask for one thing you want in the game".
Not a contest.

brauny
8th Oct 2009, 22:37
yea the red flash is like terrorism. if u support the red flash ur supporting terrorism. the red flah causes terror so im not in goin extreme here................. well maybe a lil lol

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
8th Oct 2009, 22:40
:eek:

Ok, it's against the red flash, so be it.

JAGeng
10th Oct 2009, 04:27
Remove, remove....!!! no red flash for me please. It dumbs down a terrific game.

Redskins
10th Oct 2009, 14:03
Red Flash has been removed. Confirmed by Podcast 2.

PoorBison
10th Oct 2009, 14:15
Red Flash has been removed. Confirmed by Podcast 2.Also confirmed by mycoldman on here a few weeks ago :)

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
10th Oct 2009, 19:56
Mmm? What? Is it absolute or still on everything else but enemies? Don't gimme false hopes!

Enzoforce
10th Oct 2009, 20:04
Mmm? What? Is it absolute or still on everything else but enemies? Don't gimme false hopes!

Red flash gone means gone. If not sue them :nut:

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
10th Oct 2009, 20:09
Awww! New big hopes, damn, don't kill them again! Aaaaaargh!

Apocalyptic Fish
11th Oct 2009, 17:15
be gone, flashing red thing

HavokBR
13th Oct 2009, 02:18
Thank you sir! :wave:

Actually, I've been reading this forum for a while, but I joined specifically because of this thread. :whistle:

Anyway, I don't think it would be a big issue for the developers to remove the "red flash."
I'm positive that it's only temporary, and will be replaced by the more realistic alternative: the old "blood spray" effect. (And when I say realistic, I mean rational.)

For the people who do not understand why we don't like the "red flash," this is why:

In Just Cause 2 the game world is a massive world, full of life and detail. Things need to react when the player acts. Bullet holes, explosions, sound effects, etc.. The world needs to react to the player in order to maintain immersion, and a gripping atmosphere. If you shoot another character, and the character quickly turns a different color, it makes you very aware that you are playing a videogame, and it kills the immersion, When shot at, the enemies should get filled up with bullet holes, or emit blood so the player feels rewarded for his/her actions.

Get it?

Good point.

Developers should read this.

I know an indicator is important to show you where you are shooting in this game, but there are better ways to do it.

DomH
13th Oct 2009, 20:53
Agree :) but it might help with the grappel

Sylux
21st Oct 2009, 13:58
I dont like the red flashy thing neither. But if they wont delete it from the final game, I woudnt mind either.
The game is gonna be awesome anyway! :D

polimerjones
21st Oct 2009, 14:24
why are we still talking about the red flash.... its gone. :hmm: lets move on. this is kinda getting ridiculous.

Sadistic_Sandbox_Player
21st Oct 2009, 20:17
why are we still talking about the red flash.... its gone. :hmm: lets move on. this is kinda getting ridiculous.

Hey, it's still not officially-totally confirmed, is it?

polimerjones
22nd Oct 2009, 01:21
did you guys not listen to the podcast? they said gone, gone is gone gone good gone gee. no more red flash malarkey

JAGeng
22nd Oct 2009, 01:40
Bury it or make it optional so I can turn off that aberration before I attack something and actually see that on my screen and get sick.