PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Stealth (I simply don't understand)

BatFan
15th Aug 2009, 16:48
In the demo(I hope this doesn't occur in the final build) you can walk around thugs who are looking in the other direction right behind them and they don't seem to do a damn thing about it. What the hell? Is Batman automatically silent when simply walking around? I thought you'd have to crouch to be silent. I was kinda hoping there would be more of a Batman begins/splinter cell stealth element that simply grappling around. The only real difference I noticed between walking behind them and actually crouching is that you just get fewer points for that takedown. I hope this is just a glitch.

SSJGoku786
15th Aug 2009, 16:53
Well, the demo was set to easy mode. So, we're not sure how the AI responds to Batman walking right behind them in the harder modes.
But, Batman is a silent ninja, anyway.

Although, I do hope they're more aware of you walking right up behind them.

Slatepa
15th Aug 2009, 16:57
In the demo(I hope this doesn't occur in the final build) you can walk around thugs who are looking in the other direction right behind them and they don't seem to do a damn thing about it. What the hell? Is Batman automatically silent when simply walking around? I thought you'd have to crouch to be silent. I was kinda hoping there would be more of a Batman begins/splinter cell stealth element that simply grappling around. The only real difference I noticed between walking behind them and actually crouching is that you just get fewer points for that takedown. I hope this is just a glitch.

Uh the question is.. do you really think you make less sound when you're crouching? :rolleyes:

Why do you think Batman would magically be less silent when he crouched? That just makes him smaller so he's harder to spot.. but I can see you've really bought into this whole video game stuff about crouching people being more silent.. :scratch:

DarkKnightDanny
15th Aug 2009, 17:08
i was thinking about this too. why have a crouch button if walking straight behind them doesnt make then notice!

SSJGoku786
15th Aug 2009, 17:09
i was thinking about this too. why have a crouch button if walking straight behind them doesnt make then notice!

To hide behind short walls and use of corner cover.
The annoying thing about crouching is that you can't throw a batarang. He has to stand up and do it.

KnowHowIGotTheseScars?
15th Aug 2009, 17:14
The annoying thing about crouching is that you can't throw a batarang. He has to stand up and do it.

You ever tired to throw something while crouch (and maybe walking) ? ... go outside and throw something while your crouching and see how much distance and accuracy you can get

DarkKnightDanny
15th Aug 2009, 17:16

well obviously. but the tutorial tries to tell you that you should crouch before performing a silent takedown.odd that thugs dont react

Boke18
15th Aug 2009, 17:17
I think the demo was on easy mode thus explaining the ease of taking people down. In the final game on the harder difficulties I believe stealth will play a much larger role.

Pedro_PT
15th Aug 2009, 17:18
So, the Demo is in the Easy difficulty.
You probably thinking ``I know you idiot !!!´´.
Guess what:
In MGS4, when you play in Easy/Normal difficulty you get by the guards very unnoticed either you are crouching or running. But if you set the difficulty to Big Boss, even in prone position/crawling you are heard.
It´s a matter of Difficulty setting the game is. Do you think Rocksteady would talk so good about the A.I. and then not live to it´s promises ??? Hell no !!! You´ll se that, in the full game, you´ll get noticed and you won´t even know why ;)

RedHoodSecondSon
15th Aug 2009, 17:20
So, the Demo is in the Easy difficulty.
You probably thinking ``I know you idiot !!!´´.
Guess what:
In MGS4, when you play in Easy/Normal difficulty you get by the guards very unnoticed either you are crouching or running. But if you set the difficulty to Big Boss, even in prone position/crawling you are heard.
It´s a matter of Difficulty setting the game is. Do you think Rocksteady would talk about so good about the A.I. and then not live to it´s promise ??? Hell no !!! You´ll se that, in the full game, you´ll get noticed and you won´t even know why ;)

arrgh i hate that in MGS4 when your walking along iminding your own buisness then all of a sudden ! there he is!!! *alarm sounds* mind you i'll make the game more intresting and a lot more satisfiyng when you pull of dangerous moves

BatmanOfTheFuture
15th Aug 2009, 17:25
Simple as its BATMAN

Pedro_PT
15th Aug 2009, 17:26
arrgh i hate that in MGS4 when your walking along iminding your own buisness then all of a sudden ! there he is!!! *alarm sounds* mind you i'll make the game more intresting and a lot more satisfiyng when you pull of dangerous moves

Exactly !!! As it happened in MGS4, I hope it happens in B:AA:
That it gives you a notion of how in dangerous you are if you are not carefull. I mean, in Easy they are very predictable but in Hard, I guess, the game won´t have mercy on you as they will certainly move around much more, make a trajectory of where your Batarang´s have been thrown from, and many other aspects.

Afterall, all we want is an experience truthfull to real life. You get caught and there are no Restart´s. I hope they take the Restart From Checkpoint option of the pause menu when playing in Hard on B:AA :D

RedHoodSecondSon
15th Aug 2009, 17:30
Exactly !!! As it happened in MGS4, I hope it happens in B:AA:
That it gives you a notion of how in dangerous you are if you are not carefull. I mean, in Easy they are very predictable but in Hard, I guess, the game won´t have mercy on you as they will certainly move around much more, make a trajectory of where your Batarang´s have been thrown from, and many other aspects.

Afterall, all we want is an experience truthfull to real life. You get caught and there are no Restart´s. I hope they take the Restart From Checkpoint option of the pause menu when playing in Hard on B:AA :D

He's a Mad Man!!! A MAD MAN!!!! XD, but no i agree with you, there was nothing more satisfying than tranqing a guard when you are almost nose to nose in MSG4, i want that expeirence in Batman, i mean on the demo today i fluffed up the silent takedown and that had me on edge in easy mode, imagine it in hard?!

Pedro_PT
15th Aug 2009, 17:36
He's a Mad Man!!! A MAD MAN!!!! XD, but no i agree with you, there was nothing more satisfying than tranqing a guard when you are almost nose to nose in MSG4, i want that expeirence in Batman, i mean on the demo today i fluffed up the silent takedown and that had me on edge in easy mode, imagine it in hard?!

I really want that experience on B:AA too :rasp:
Besides, in Hard mode will certainly have a kind of sound system, allowing enemies to hear you when you over-use the gargoyles ( the sound of the Grapple Gun and the wind it provokes by getting you to fly ).

You know that feeling you have when something is about to hit you in the back ???
I get that feeling sometimes and I hope that happens the same in the B:AA full game ( on Hard ). I mean, getting close to an enemie and he gets a feeling that something is on his back and turns right back to see if someone is really behind him feeling :nut:

Arrivederci ;)

DarkKnightDanny
15th Aug 2009, 17:37
i really do hope the goons have a sharp mind in calm status.
dopnt really care when theyre in terrified mode.theyil be all over the place!

SSJGoku786
15th Aug 2009, 17:54
You ever tired to throw something while crouch (and maybe walking) ? ... go outside and throw something while your crouching and see how much distance and accuracy you can get

Used to play cricket. Needed to be able to throw the ball at a distance towards the appropriate wicket in various positions.

Pedro_PT
15th Aug 2009, 17:55
I really think this is an one case scenario ;)
You should really not care about that. It´s the difficulty, I tell you :P

Jables_Kage
15th Aug 2009, 18:00

batman was trained as a ninja, he could sneak up on sam fisher and take him out! so a few goons are no problem!

JonWang
15th Aug 2009, 18:42
Yes Batman WALKS silently, just as he jumps and lands silently. Um...hes freakin batman..thats what he does. You'll notice the crouch button is most effective because you can move FASTER and still be silent as opposed to running and making noise. You wont move as fast as running but much faster then walking and still as silent as walking. Get it?

Batz-R-Us
15th Aug 2009, 18:53
Batman is like Chuck Norris, he can do anything when we wants.

MCREF
15th Aug 2009, 18:59
Uh the question is.. do you really think you make less sound when you're crouching? :rolleyes:

Why do you think Batman would magically be less silent when he crouched? That just makes him smaller so he's harder to spot.. but I can see you've really bought into this whole video game stuff about crouching people being more silent.. :scratch:

Technically, the crouching walk technique is used to make you more silent. It's a part of the 8 (At least I think it's 8) disciplines of ninjitsu specifically the stealth part. Crouching lowers your body weight and distributes it more evenly to the ground thereby making you more silent. I got bored one day and looked it up.

Slatepa
15th Aug 2009, 19:28
Technically, the crouching walk technique is used to make you more silent. It's a part of the 8 (At least I think it's 8) disciplines of ninjitsu specifically the stealth part. Crouching lowers your body weight and distributes it more evenly to the ground thereby making you more silent. I got bored one day and looked it up.

In some situations, maybe. It makes absolutely no difference, however, whether you walk behind someone or crouch in situations like we saw in the demo. Or well.. you're more likely to trip over when you're crouching.

MCREF
15th Aug 2009, 19:42
In some situations, maybe. It makes absolutely no difference, however, whether you walk behind someone or crouch in situations like we saw in the demo. Or well.. you're more likely to trip over when you're crouching.

Well, yeah of course. I was just pointing out that the crouching thing is used as a silent technique. It helps in most if all situations if you know what you are doing. Gotta keep balance mostly. But yeah guys like Batman, Snake, and Sam Fisher probably don't have that problem so it would work essentially all the time for people like them. But Batman can walk behind people silently because he's freakin' Batman. He can put a tracer on you and you'd never know it until he's knocking down your door.

ForkInSocket
15th Aug 2009, 23:36

I can't help it, this made me laugh.

Scars, are you LARPing B:AA?

Tell the truth now. You are aren't you?

iamtombombadil
16th Aug 2009, 01:37
So the game is not realistic. What game is? We play games to ESCAPE reality. Sheesh. Relax and don't get our panties in such a bunch over something that ultimately does not determine how the world spins. BTW, there are loads of ways around the AI of a MGS game, so don't get me started on that.

metalhead_dave
16th Aug 2009, 02:12
So the game is not realistic. What game is? We play games to ESCAPE reality. Sheesh. Relax and don't get our panties in such a bunch over something that ultimately does not determine how the world spins. BTW, there are loads of ways around the AI of a MGS game, so don't get me started on that.

Sorry, but I'm getting you started... OH DO TELL! :D:D:D

JackWinz
16th Aug 2009, 02:17
Batman is like Chuck Norris, he can do anything when we wants.

Batman taught Chucky everything he knows...

Slatepa
16th Aug 2009, 10:18

Hmm? How is the game not realistic (it's not but how did you come to the conclusion from this thread)?

Sir Legendhead
16th Aug 2009, 10:32
Batman doesn't need to crouch because he steps quietly anyway.

Slatepa
16th Aug 2009, 10:53
Indeed.

RedHoodSecondSon
16th Aug 2009, 13:05

Yeah, i agree, to channel Mr Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw "I kinda thought we'd abbandoned realism around the time Space Marines were stabbing dinosaurs on the Planet Zogg" Reguardless we all know that this game will kick all kinds of ass and if you have to open a thread to pick at gameplay decisions maybe that's a sign that you won't enjoy this game

Donhorzione
16th Aug 2009, 13:17
To be honest i like it this way. i have always seen batman standing when he comes out from the shadows and it's more batman-ish this way . batman in my mind doesn't look good while crouching

Paulley
16th Aug 2009, 17:16
You guys know that the bit with the three armed people in the demo doesnt appear to be in the final game.

And you also dont start the game with the Inverted Takedown

Teyon
16th Aug 2009, 17:25
Lol. Took me half a second to realize what you meant by "three armed people". I kept trying to recall any of the goons that had three arms, lol. Man I'm tired. Anyway, it's a game based on a comic book where a man wearing his underwear outside with tights, leather and pointy ears is being taunted by a guy with green hair and a painted face. I'm thinking reality was left at the door. Also, it's a game. If they attempted to make it realistic, much of Batman's abilities would not work and you'd pretty much never land a glide attack, let alone take out an entire building full of goons by yourself. Let it go.

Slatepa
16th Aug 2009, 17:50
To be honest i like it this way. i have always seen batman standing when he comes out from the shadows and it's more batman-ish this way . batman in my mind doesn't look good while crouching

Indeed. I like the look of him walking behind a thug and then taking him down better.

BatFan
16th Aug 2009, 20:44
Well, I agree and Batman does look cooler performing takedowns standing. I just absolutely despise when the damn game lies to me. When hung upside down on the gargoyle then dropped down during the Zsasz enounter, the game told me to crouch for silent movement IMPLYING that Batman doesn't normally move silently. There seems to be no damn point to the crouch trigger.

MCREF
16th Aug 2009, 20:46
Well, I agree and Batman does look cooler performing takedowns standing. I just absolutely despise when the damn game lies to me. When hung upside down on the gargoyle then dropped down during the Zsasz enounter, the game told me to crouch for silent movement IMPLYING that Batman doesn't normally move silently. There seems to be no damn point to the crouch trigger.

People were saying before that maybe because the demo AI was on easy that the stealth was less.... well... stealthy. Could be a different story on another difficulty. Definitely need to check that when the game comes out. What's the count to? Oh, yeah..... 8 DAYS!!!! in the US

HarlenQuinn
16th Aug 2009, 20:58
What's ridiculous is how worked up your getting over the DEMO. You dont think that they would honestly give you the whole stealth experience in a demo do you? Its obvious that the AI is dumbed down, otherwise no one would buy a game that is so easy. The demo is just there to give you a basics of how the gameplay is. And if its that big of a problem put it on hard, I bet hey will hear you then.

MCREF
16th Aug 2009, 21:05
^ And that my friends is why I don't play demos.

evilmajikman
16th Aug 2009, 21:07

Well I started crouching a lot because I went off of MGS logic where the lower to the ground you are, the harder you are to be apprehended by the enemy. MGS logic is when you run, you make a lot of noise, when you walk you make some noise, when you crouch you make a little noise, and when you crawl you barely make any noise.

Pibbman
16th Aug 2009, 21:09
you'd think if Batman has millions of dollars worth of gadgets, that he'd have special shoes that reduce the sound it makes wouldn't you?

MCREF
16th Aug 2009, 21:10

Well I started crouching a lot because I went off of MGS logic where the lower to the ground you are, the harder you are to be apprehended by the enemy. MGS logic is when you run, you make a lot of noise, when you walk you make some noise, when you crouch you make a little noise, and when you crawl you barely make any noise.

Yeah I already tagged him a page ago:

Nizzemancer
22nd Aug 2009, 19:55
try walking or crouching up to someone in the last room in the demo, no problem right?
now try running. He'll turn around. There is a difference in detectability.

I can sneak up on alot of people (to the point where I'm about 10 cm/4" away) while upright, my co-workers complain about it alot but I can't help it since I've been walking that way since I was about 7, batman is a trained ninja-sneaking-machine he'd be a 100 times more efficient than me but even he would be spotted if he was standing upright behind a railing that's waist high, that's what your crouch function is for, to not be seen.

What the hell is wrong with you people? "Boo we don't want a crouch-function, it's stupid, take it away!"