PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Sequel

StellarVendetta
12th Aug 2009, 15:05
I know that a sequel is a long long way off but discussing some storylines or settings we want to see might help pass the time right?

Personally I'd like to see a game based on the first Trade paper back in the KnightFall series. Arkham Asylum sets the tone for a game of this nature, as Knightfall was also a gritty, hopeless situation that Batman was placed in. KnightFall actually resembles Arkham Asylum to a significant degree in the fact that Arkham is Batman running a gauntlet of his greatest villains, Knightfall was also Batman running a gauntlet of his greatest enemies.

Knightfall for those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about is a collection of stories in which Bane escapes from Blackgate, comes to Gotham, destroys Arkham Asylum (a direct tie in with the first game if they so choose) and after leaving all of Batman's greatest enemies loose, watches as Batman becomes worn down, both physically and mentally. The story culminates with Bane coming into Wayne Manor, beating Batman basically to death and then Bane snaps the Bat in half.

The game could be set up on a partition of Gotham city, and since the Asylum was destroyed perhaps they could "put the bridges up" like they did in Batman Begins to contain the outbreak. By focusing on a small area of Gotham the developer could then create a very atmospheric environment without the concerns of the size of the map taking away from game play.The section they bridge off doesn't even need to come from Batman cannon and could actually be made to include some interesting locales including, crime alley (Batman's parents murder site), Wayne Tower, The Sewers below Gotham (to fight Killer Croc again, or to discover Harvey Dents secret lair (the long Halloween anyone or is it dark victory?) They could include a cemetery in which you fight scare crow, a lavish garden in which you must stop the mad hatters tea party, hell there could even be a dilapidated amusement park like the one the Joker buys in the killing joke. I wouldn't even mind seeing a return trip to the now completely destroyed Arkham. Each section of the game could be accessible from perhaps a hub level, or Batman could drive himself in a Bat mobile inspired mini game. This game could also play out as other action games with cut scenes between maps explaining why Batman is not going to location X. I personally prefer the idea of a hub world. The game would the culminate at Wayne Manor where you would have defeat Bane, or be broken. I don't know that is one idea.

On another personal note I wouldn't mind if they just made Batman: The Killing Joke and the entire game took place in Jokers amusement park, there are more then enough reasons for other Gotham criminals to team up with Joker, and with a competent writer I'm sure it could be great, it could almost be like a prequel to AA, it could show us how oracle became oracle, and just how crazy Joker is, not that this game won't do that.

Pbrad08
12th Aug 2009, 15:11
Knightfall for those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about is a collection of stories in which Bane escapes from Blackgate, comes to Gotham, destroys Arkham Asylum (a direct tie in with the first game if they so choose) and after leaving all of Batman's greatest enemies loose, watches as Batman becomes worn down, both physically and mentally. The story culminates with Bane coming into Wayne Manor, beating Batman basically to death and then Bane snaps the Bat in half.

I'm no "all-knowing" Batman guru, but I was reading around the net, and certian comments I read claimed that that specific comic was not a direct tie-in to the true Batman story. I'm not claiming it is or isnt, but its what I read.

I watched some videos on youtube about the animated series cartoon and the episode where he faces bane he doesnt get his spine broken. Which leads me to suspect that my previous comment was correct.

For my sake I hope I'm right, because, you just dont break a man's back in a comic book; its not cricket.

DiamondBlade
12th Aug 2009, 15:12
I hate threads like this. The game's not even out yet and you're already talking about a sequel? Jesus.

darrinwright
12th Aug 2009, 15:13
I'd kind of like to see a game based on the Hush storyline. I think it'd be awesome to fight Jason Todd/Clayface (JT revealed it was him the first part of the fight, then Clayface, in the "Under the Hood" storyline), and maybe have a co-op section with Nightwing or Catwoman.

I'm no "all-knowing" Batman guru, but I was reading around the net, and certian comments I read claimed that that specific comic was not a direct tie-in to the true Batman story. I'm not claiming it is or isnt, but its what I read.

I watched some videos on youtube about the animated series cartoon and the episode where he faces bane he doesnt get his spine broken. Which leads me to suspect that my previous comment was correct.

For my sake I hope I'm right, because, you just dont break a man's back in a comic book; its not cricket.

Animated Series didn't have Bane break Bruce's back because it was a cartoon. For kids.

It really happened in the comics, and gets referred to once in a while, usually whenever Bane pops up he'll make some "I'll break you AGAIN" comment.

DarkKnightDanny
12th Aug 2009, 16:00
well kinghtfall was part of the detective comics so im pretty sure its canon

Old_BenKenobi
12th Aug 2009, 16:07
Hey I seen you over at IGN. Guess I'll post my responses to your post here:

Knightfall would be a fantastic choice. Really leads to a lot of gameplay options. They don't even have to base it on the narrative, just the concept of a huge break out. I'd like it if they did the GTA thing, where it was all free-roaming, and you start on one island and you open up the others as you go along, along the way unlocking new equipment, new vehicles, etc.

One thing I'd love to have would be to outfit your own Batman. Start with a base suit of black and grey tights and alter everything on it to enhance it and change how you play. Swap out a stock belt for one with bigger pocket,s sacrificing security for storage space. Change the chest emblem from the simple black bat to the black and gold logo to draw fire from your head, but also increasing visibility. And stocking up your belt with eerything you'd think is useful. I know some Batman games from the 2D days allowed you to pick two or three gadgets to take with you before every level. I'd like that idea, but extrapolated into the entiredly of Batman. Same goes for the car. Adjust the Batmobile's speed, power, armour, weaponry and stealth. Then whenever you're about to start a mission you can go to the cave, pick your suit, belt and car and head out. drooling

As for the sequel thing. I think it shouldn't be a narrative sequel, but it should be made by Eidos/Rocksteady using the same basic gameplay from AA.

Also, I'd like to see the addition of multiplayer. While I don't think MP would be a good idea for AA, which is very claustrophobic, in an open world I'd love to see the inclusion of Robin. I don't know why theres such animosity about Robin. Anyway, I think it would be a great co-op opportunity. Let Batman call in for Robin, 2nd player joins in, Robin is in the game. A second pair of eyes, a second pair of fits, a second brain. And he'd probably be a lot quicker and agile than Batman, though not as powerful.

The reason Spider-Man games get boring is because after a while, all there is to do is do the random eventes, which are very basic and repetitive. This is a problem I don't think a Batman game would have, especially when based off of the Arkham gameplay. In Spider-Man 2 (the most revered of all Spidey games) all you really have to do is swing around and either beat up some criminals or save someone or do a race. Batman is a different kind of hero. He beats of criminals sure, but Freeflow makes that kickass. But he also solves crimes and mysteries. Detective work could play a big part. They could give you, say, 200 cases, where you have to track down clues, work on leads, etc. Nothing too big, but interesting and time consuming. That could be a big part of the free-roaming gameplay, like mini side missions. And small enough to make for good DLC. Besides that, theres still muggings, robberies and other emergencies to stop. And I can just imagine what the mission marker would be: Follow the Bat Signal.

this might seem random, but in Saints Row 2 there is a huge level of customization. But what's great is the convenience. You can go to your house, go to your wardrobe and either put together a new outfit or pick one you've made and saved already. Then you go to your weapon stash and pick the guns you want. Then you go to your garage and pick out one of your cars, which you can freely customize and adjust. Now, imagine if you had Batcaves spread all over the city, and you could go to them and change and edit your costume and pick your gadgets and fine tune your batmobile?

And here's something that would be a real stretch: Customizing Batman himself. Say you're given two or three points over the course of the story where you have some downtime, and you can use that to adjust Batman's physique. Make him ultra bulky and powerful or slim and fast, or the middle ground. I wouldn't go so far as to go down the mini-game route like San Andreas, but more of a way to quickly and easily control how much muscle Batman has. If you go ultra bulky you can't be as stealthy, and your combat becomes much more power based. You can't sneak up on people so easily, but you can beat them down quicker and take more damage. If you're slimmer you're much stealthier, but nowhere near as powerful, and silent takedowns would becoem your best friend. It would be ridiculous to give you the power to do this whenever you want, so perhaps only after you unlock a new area? Then once you beat the game you can take as much time as you want. I don't think this would ever be implemented in a Batman game, but I'd like it. Here's to wishful thinking eh?

The New Blueguy
12th Aug 2009, 16:45
For a sequel, they need to continue to do as they did with B:AA. They need to stick original stories. Besides, if they did the Knightfall story, it would end up like MGS2. Where you'd end up playing as Jean Paul Valley through half the game. DC has always seemed adamant in their media outside the comics that Bruce Wayne is and will always be Batman. I seriously don't even think that any new movies, cartoons, or games in the next few years will reference the fact that **** Grayson (Robin I/Nightwing) has taken over as Batman following Bruce's "death"... I still don't think he's dead for good.
So therefore, I don't think there will be a Knightfall game. Nor a Hush game. Original stories people. If we do this, we might as well go back to the old style of movie-based games where you played through the movie instead of now, where's it's an extension of the universe.

iamtombombadil
12th Aug 2009, 16:49
I hate threads like this. The game's not even out yet and you're already talking about a sequel? Jesus.

Yes, it is clear you much prefer threads which pick apart the games weaknesses. Relax dude. The OP already stated that it is a LONG way off. The game hasn't been released yet, as you already stated using your astute powers of observation, so why not talk about things like this. Its not like we can talk about the full game yet.

Back on topic, I really do hope a sequel is planned, but I would not be surprised if in the next one we have Batman and Robin

AdamWest
12th Aug 2009, 16:55
I still think the sequel needs to be set in Metropolis just my opinion :p

Old_BenKenobi
12th Aug 2009, 16:55
For a sequel, they need to continue to do as they did with B:AA. They need to stick original stories. Besides, if they did the Knightfall story, it would end up like MGS2. Where you'd end up playing as Jean Paul Valley through half the game. DC has always seemed adamant in their media outside the comics that Bruce Wayne is and will always be Batman. I seriously don't even think that any new movies, cartoons, or games in the next few years will reference the fact that **** Grayson (Robin I/Nightwing) has taken over as Batman following Bruce's "death"... I still don't think he's dead for good.
So therefore, I don't think there will be a Knightfall game. Nor a Hush game. Original stories people. If we do this, we might as well go back to the old style of movie-based games where you played through the movie instead of now, where's it's an extension of the universe.

Playing through a pre-existing story is lame, but I don't see anything wrong with taking cues and settings from a story.

DiamondBlade
12th Aug 2009, 17:09
Yes, it is clear you much prefer threads which pick apart the games weaknesses. Relax dude. The OP already stated that it is a LONG way off. The game hasn't been released yet, as you already stated using your astute powers of observation, so why not talk about things like this. Its not like we can talk about the full game yet.
I'm sorry if I was interpreted the wrong way. I'm just saying that threads like this give the forum a feeling like no one is pleased with anything Rocksteady will bring us.

Sterlington
12th Aug 2009, 17:10
search bar

DarkKnightDanny
12th Aug 2009, 17:32
search bar

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=92571

people can be so hypocritical at times er:)

Nigthwing
12th Aug 2009, 17:39
Co-op with Nightwing or the option to play as Nightwing. Also maybe a section of the game where you get to play on the rooftops/streets of gotham, for a large, but still limited area

SKINNYGUNS
12th Aug 2009, 17:41
Id like a sequel based on the 'no mans land' storyline, where gotham suffers a serious earthquake and is sealed off from the us.
The game revolves around batman taking back the city from the gangs and supervillains tearing it apart. Major plot points would be fighting clayface in robinson park, hunting the joker in police plaza and fighting off the penguins goons in the iceberg lounge to show how batman has returned.
Would be sweet. Plus the gameplay would be different or more involving because many building would be rubble, meaning less grappling, more out and out ground stealth.

SKINNYGUNS
12th Aug 2009, 17:45
playing through a pre-existing story is lame, but i don't see anything wrong with taking cues and settings from a story.

especially when baa is in parts based on the 'arkham asylum - serious house on serious earth' graphic novel.

(ps - sorry bout the double post.)

MrxknownJG
12th Aug 2009, 18:00
I'd like to see an open-world game, but I can't see that with the engine from B:AA.

So I would suggest taking Batman out of Gotham, may a section of Metropolis or trapped in the JL space station (could have implications of co-op).

Mainly, I'd like to see co-op, but each player needs to have complimentary skills. Basically, keep it in the Bat Family such as Huntress, Robin (pick one) Nightwing, Azael, Two-Face, Phantasm, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc.

That way when one player joins another, they are not going from Batman to Green Lantern, but to another character with similar skill sets (but can still have unique abilities).

heck, I'll settle for a separate co-op mode like Horde or Silent Predator where you can your co-op buddy handle enemies too tough for one guy!

EDIT: Skinnyguns: You can delete posts you know! I just did :D

imbatman08
12th Aug 2009, 19:14

i dont think we will get a knightfall for the next batman game..since in this game bane says.. I Will Break You Batman..Then Batman says NO Bane THIS Time I Break You

HeartlessSystem
12th Aug 2009, 19:24
batman goes 'who gives a ****' and turns evil!
so much fun in so many ways...

We Are The Archers
12th Aug 2009, 19:37
On another personal note I wouldn't mind if they just made Batman: The Killing Joke and the entire game took place in Jokers amusement park, there are more then enough reasons for other Gotham criminals to team up with Joker, and with a competent writer I'm sure it could be great, it could almost be like a prequel to AA, it could show us how oracle became oracle, and just how crazy Joker is, not that this game won't do that.

That would make for some cool DLC I think.

StellarVendetta
12th Aug 2009, 19:51
Hey I seen you over at IGN. Guess I'll post my responses to your post here:

Old BenKenobi, love the name by the way I'm almost as big a Star Wars nut as I am Batman, almost.

I really love your idea to be able to equip batman before each mission. I'm not sure how the mechanic could be implemented but being able to choose 3 gadgets, and certain types of batarangs would be awesome. This could open up the door for level designers to really push the envelope and develop obstacles that can be tackled in many multiple ways.

I also really love the idea of customizing Batman himself. A lot of people have their favorite Batman body type and costume so why choose one when you can make everyone happy. Me personally I love a Batman that is huge, like 260lbs of cut muscle huge (Dark Victory, or Long Halloween Bats is an example) And I like him in a grey suit with black cowl, cape, and bat but that's just me. Being able to make a slender all black Batman would be cool, I also like the idea of how these changes would effect game play. A less muscular Batman outfitted in his black bat suit would be idle for detective mode missions, but would presumably suffer slightly in free flow combat missions. Where as a huge batman with a yellow target on his chest may not be to sneaky but sure can deliver a good ole fashion Bat-A$$-whippin.

StellarVendetta
12th Aug 2009, 19:56

That's a fair reasoning on why Knightfall wouldn't work. I didn't really put much thought into what would happen after the breaking of batman, heck maybe that would be the ending, it would give it that Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back feel to it. This ending could also set up one heck of a third game in which Batman travels to China to relearn his skills, and then, borrowing from Gotham Knight, we could explore the time in which Batman studies how to control his pain, and in the final showdown return to Gotham and crush Bane atop police headquarters, using the Bat signal as a destructive set piece of course. So I'm really saying that I want to rewrite the Knightfall story with some of my favorite moments included and extensive creative liberties haha...uh can you tell I want to be a game designer? haha.

Reeper0278
12th Aug 2009, 20:12
Since I doubt thr Riddler will appear as a villian in this game, maybe he could be the main villain in the second one. Or Penguin.

Then again I'm thinking of the main villains in LEGO Batman.....

Old_BenKenobi
12th Aug 2009, 20:19
Old BenKenobi, love the name by the way I'm almost as big a Star Wars nut as I am Batman, almost.

I really love your idea to be able to equip batman before each mission. I'm not sure how the mechanic could be implemented but being able to choose 3 gadgets, and certain types of batarangs would be awesome. This could open up the door for level designers to really push the envelope and develop obstacles that can be tackled in many multiple ways.

I also really love the idea of customizing Batman himself. A lot of people have their favorite Batman body type and costume so why choose one when you can make everyone happy. Me personally I love a Batman that is huge, like 260lbs of cut muscle huge (Dark Victory, or Long Halloween Bats is an example) And I like him in a grey suit with black cowl, cape, and bat but that's just me. Being able to make a slender all black Batman would be cool, I also like the idea of how these changes would effect game play. A less muscular Batman outfitted in his black bat suit would be idle for detective mode missions, but would presumably suffer slightly in free flow combat missions. Where as a huge batman with a yellow target on his chest may not be to sneaky but sure can deliver a good ole fashion Bat-A$$-whippin.

Well I'm glad you're interested. Too bad a game like that will never see the light of day. :p

Zhim
12th Aug 2009, 20:34
Screw the story, I need an "i'm Batman" button so i can feel even cooler while above thugs.

SolidSnake_123
12th Aug 2009, 23:29
I think the Killing Joke would be a wonderful idea, it really shows just how psicotic the Joker really is, and how he messes with your mind while you read on, why not interpret that in a video game? But the only downside to that is that its before Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Hush storyline wouldnt be great because it should still have the Joker involved as a primary bad-ass, haha.

The_Batman
27th Aug 2009, 10:49
i think the next game should be about TWO FACE or RAs Al Ghul as the main baddies but also have the Riddler,Mad Hatter,Hush & Jason Todd into the mix & please bring back original team from the first not a new development team keep Rocksteady on the franchise

ItsHenry99
27th Aug 2009, 11:21
I think the Killing Joke would be a wonderful idea, it really shows just how psicotic the Joker really is, and how he messes with your mind while you read on, why not interpret that in a video game? But the only downside to that is that its before Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Hush storyline wouldnt be great because it should still have the Joker involved as a primary bad-ass, haha.

Cant be a sequal since we know about oracle maby we could do flashback scenes:D

Arsh
27th Aug 2009, 22:43
I'd love to see a sequel take place in Gotham City. I can just imagine leaping off buildings flying around the city. That would be pretty epic. I'd like to see Two-Face, Riddler, Catwoman, and Mr. Freeze running around creating some havoc around the city. Also would love to see Scarecrow return (I loved the freaky bits he created, but I don't want to do the platforming and gaze bit again in a sequel).

I'm not much of a tech-head, but from what I hear, Unreal 3 can't run a full-scale Gotham? Could they use a different engine to render Gotham? InFamous, GTA4, and Assassin's Creed can run fairly large cities with decent graphics. An open-world Batman game with inFamous level graphics would alone be pretty amazing. Also, I hope they take a similar approach to time as inFamous did. That is, the missions take place over a set number of days and times, and there is no constant day/night cycles. So then Rocksteady can alter the mood of a specific point in time themselves, such as setting some missions during sunset, midnight, or when the dawn is breaking. Using Batman's Jet or Batmobile would be pretty rocking as well, though I'd rather just swing with the grapnel gun or fly with the wings.

In Arkham Asylum, there's a 'Destroy Gotham' kind of plot. I think it'd be cool if the next game had more random missions, like stop Scarecrow from infecting Gotham in one mission, chase Catwoman in another, but there's a narrative thread running through, one constant story in the midst of all the other stuff going on. Maybe Batman is hunting an elusive serial killer ala Long Halloween or something.

EDIT:

Also, no more bloody titans.

FuriosoGamma
28th Aug 2009, 15:44
Good idea, but this general concept of reclaiming a ruined city has already been incorporated into an existing game called InFamous.

Id like a sequel based on the 'no mans land' storyline, where gotham suffers a serious earthquake and is sealed off from the us.
The game revolves around batman taking back the city from the gangs and supervillains tearing it apart. Major plot points would be fighting clayface in robinson park, hunting the joker in police plaza and fighting off the penguins goons in the iceberg lounge to show how batman has returned.
Would be sweet. Plus the gameplay would be different or more involving because many building would be rubble, meaning less grappling, more out and out ground stealth.