PDA

View Full Version : Gamasutra link: "Analysis: Natural Universes And Deus Ex: Invisible War"

dixieflatline
10th Aug 2009, 18:43
Thought you guys might like reading this short article on one dude's opinion of what went wrong with Invisible War.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24752

Alexander Brandon comments on the story, which is pretty cool.

SageSavage
10th Aug 2009, 20:10
Interesting read, thanks for the link.

Necros
10th Aug 2009, 20:11
I think the voice acting in DX1 was great, and IW had atmosphere too imho, though I have to say, it was nowhere near DX1's atmosphere.

SageSavage
10th Aug 2009, 20:19
I think the voice acting in DX1 was great, and IW had atmosphere too imho, though I have to say, it was nowhere near DX1's atmosphere.

It's not great but I loved it. JC's emotionless voice and the fake accents really fitted the atmosphere.

minus0ne
10th Aug 2009, 20:34
Thanks! Although he's basically saying what a lot of us already said about DXIW, he's spot on. One of the reasons that I'm still relatively positive about DX3 is that the original dev team already made these fairly obvious mistakes (obvious in retrospect, anyway), so here's hoping EM are better equipped with this knowledge. Although larger and better level design and simply put, more content, missions and gameworld interaction would've certainly helped make IW a better game, it still would've been a gimped game because it was so much more artificial and unrecognizable.

Sabretooth1
11th Aug 2009, 01:10
I think the biggest mistake in the immersion department was the setting, which was too sci-fi now and Deus Ex's love for cyberpunk explanations for everything form weapons to augmentations to even mere soda. IW was a lot more arcade-like in a way. It assumed that players didn't want to know the model number and specifications of the rocket launcher when in reality, it was little things like those that really built up Deus Ex's immersion.

Jerion
11th Aug 2009, 01:26
Thanks for the article; it was a good read and I agree with it. IW was very much a sterile, Sci-Fi adaptation of the Deus Ex look and feel, and because of that it lost the sheer atmosphere of the first game. It simply wasn't believable enough for the player to suspend disbelief, let alone get really absorbed into the DX universe.

Lo Bruto
11th Aug 2009, 02:39
Very interesting indeed. :cool:

The first is that there's no immediate point of identification with the various regions of Invisible War. One of the most captivating things about the original game was its close-to-real-world setting, shoved just far enough into the future to include the high-tech wizardry that made the game tick.

The sequel fumbles with shiny sci-fi cliches like there's no next millennium, and feels like a less identifiable place as a result. No one ever seems to stop and question why the future will be rendered predominantly in grayscale. Even in the more interesting areas -- Cairo being a reasonably competent example -- it's oddly dull and monotonous.

Yeah... this sums up pretty well my main complaint about the game itself (not the gameplay). That's why I think a prequel is the best option anyway. A sequel would push further into this sci-fi world and the next logical step would be space travel and this kind of stuff. I hope EM is connecting the real world to the game... even with that renaissance vibe.

Bloodwolf806
11th Aug 2009, 03:28
I liked Invisible War. It doesn't even lift a finger compared to Deus Ex, but it wasn't a bad game.

Kataki
11th Aug 2009, 05:05
Very well written article and having literally just beaten Deus Ex again and starting up IW I can say that this article is dead on. While I like sci-fi Deus Ex 2 feels like gameplay was designed first, which is why you end up with the very good game play designs (I liked the fewer augs, In DX i only used 4-5 of my augs) but a real lack of believability and the feeling of a dead world. The voice acting helped this area some but the small maps and almost NO lead up to the revelation that youre working for the wrong side kinda killed it.

But yes I do like IW, but it feels dead compared to DX, and thats sad considering how old DX is and what its limitations were.

thomasaquinas
11th Aug 2009, 05:36
the original dev team already made these fairly obvious mistakes (obvious in retrospect, anyway), so here's hoping EM are better equipped with this knowledge.Teehee.

InGroove2
11th Aug 2009, 13:44
Very well written article and having literally just beaten Deus Ex again and starting up IW I can say that this article is dead on. While I like sci-fi Deus Ex 2 feels like gameplay was designed first, which is why you end up with the very good game play designs (I liked the fewer augs, In DX i only used 4-5 of my augs) but a real lack of believability and the feeling of a dead world. The voice acting helped this area some but the small maps and almost NO lead up to the revelation that youre working for the wrong side kinda killed it.

But yes I do like IW, but it feels dead compared to DX, and thats sad considering how old DX is and what its limitations were.

i can't get on board with this voice acting line....

i think the voice acting in IW was atrocious and MUCH MUCH worse that DX. DX at least had some kitch to it, some flare, some "i don't care how goofy this sounds, it will at least be distinctive". IW was sooooo bland and soooo forgetable, sooo dissapointing, everything about it sucked so badly i can't even stand it.. it's hard to listen to. i don't bash IW, it was enjoyable... but no WAY can i agree that the voice acting was better than DX or even good at all.... it sounded..... well here, here's the problem that games have with voice acting, they try sooo hard to be like movies and always fail, and the voice acting sounds so forced. in DX, it was across the board odd. it upped the paranoia cause everyone seemed crazy. DX, was just so weak, almost everyone sounded... mild and pleasant.

PlasmaSnake101
13th Aug 2009, 19:20
Alex's voice acting lacked any real emotion, so that's my major gripe.

I think the worse is the tiny levels, Liberty Island would have been so much better had it not been separated into parts. When you compare it to the original that's a major step back.

Also, this guy didn't bash uni ammo and coffee wars enough

InGroove2
13th Aug 2009, 20:57
Alex's voice acting lacked any real emotion, so that's my major gripe.

I think the worse is the tiny levels, Liberty Island would have been so much better had it not been separated into parts. When you compare it to the original that's a major step back.

Also, this guy didn't bash uni ammo and coffee wars enough

totally. coffee wars was such a waste of time and so uninteresting. uni-ammo? at least the had a reason... it was a bad reason (streamlining for casual dummies), but at least it was a reason. Coffee wars they actuially thought was cool!!