PDA

View Full Version : In-game ads

3nails4you
7th Aug 2009, 05:54
So I was playing Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, on my PC, and realized the ads were changing. I saw an ad for a movie coming out later this August, and then today it was for the McDonald's dollar menu. Select billboards keep changing - I wasn't even aware the game was connected to the Internet XD.

Do you guys think this should be a feature in DX3? The money the companies get is based on a logged amount of how many billboards were seen in the game. I think it adds a lot of realism and makes me think sometimes. Should Deus Ex have billboards/store window ads/even TV commercials for different companies?

SageSavage
7th Aug 2009, 06:12
Obviously not! Not only is it potentially destroying the look&feel of the actual maps, they are also real manipulation attempts while you're not expecting them. We are getting bombed with this crap all the time so when I play a game, I at least want to have a break from all this - especially when it's a SP-game.

OuttaZyme
7th Aug 2009, 06:40
Only if they were ads for fictional products, designed to contribute to the world's verisimilitude and further underscore the game's thematic elements. Drink More, Think Less, that sort of thing.

Consider that one of the sub-themes of the first two games was the corporate manipulation of fear for profit (good thing we don't see that anymore (http://news.google.com/news?client=opera&rls=en&q=swine%20flu&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn)), and you'll see why this is a bad idea if the series is to maintain even a shred of its credibility among its loyal followers.

That said...what the hell. Go for it.

Irate_Iguana
7th Aug 2009, 07:21
Only if they were ads for fictional products, designed to contribute to the world's verisimilitude and further underscore the game's thematic elements. Drink More, Think Less, that sort of thing.

This. I loved these types of ads in GTA: SA. They are a great way to flesh out the game world.

SemiAnonymous
7th Aug 2009, 08:06
If they are real adds, then they should fit the games atmosphere and such. I don't want real adds though, I'd want a return of the Saviorific Cigs, Drink More/Think Less beer and the Ultimate Gentlemans Club.

Except, you know, not those exact ones and more and different types. But in that same vein.

Malah
7th Aug 2009, 10:39
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes product placement pls NEED MAC ADS!!!

The Island (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeVQwomIgjs) -- WORST PRODUCT PLACEMENT EVEEEER!!!~~!

Product placement Top 100 (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=product+placement+top+100&search_type=&aq=f)

Blade_hunter
7th Aug 2009, 13:48
Like pha and Outtazyme said only fictional products, just like in Deus Ex, because actually this will be a great crap if Deus Ex 3 will have real Trademarks
I made an old topic about fictional products and marks and this means I want to see fictional products, just like the Nuke Soda, the Soy food, the Choc Honey and such, like the Quanta cola from Omikron
I think there is enough ads in the TV then they should stay in the TV and not invade our video games like they invaded the movies.
The only real mark I want to see is Deus Ex as an easter egg but for the rest this is ridiculous.

dark_angel_7
7th Aug 2009, 14:19

Consider that one of the sub-themes of the first two games was the corporate manipulation of fear for profit (good thing we don't see that anymore (http://news.google.com/news?client=opera&rls=en&q=swine%20flu&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn)), and you'll see why this is a bad idea if the series is to maintain even a shred of its credibility among its loyal followers.

That said...what the hell. Go for it.

Well said. :thumb:

3nails4you
7th Aug 2009, 16:47
I agree with all you guys to a degree, but I think the way Web of Shadows did it was actually a nice touch. Almost all of the billboards are for fake companies, or Marvel comic book organizations, like Stark Industries, A.I.M., S.H.I.E.L.D., etc. However, every now and then, one of the billboards would be for Visual Studio, a movie coming out, etc. A lot of them even incorporated the game elements (e.g. red suit, black suit) into the ads.I think throwing a few real ads in there to help EM make some money wouldn't hurt too much. Maybe even make it an optional feature. From options, you could check "Disable real ads" or something. I just thought it might be a nice little touch, keep posting your thoughts!

Blade_hunter
7th Aug 2009, 19:28
If they do that I want the game for free, right ?

3nails4you
7th Aug 2009, 19:34
XD Actually, brand new from Best Buy, Web of Shadows was only $30.00, same as the PS3 and 360 versions. So maybe?

Spyhopping
7th Aug 2009, 19:44
I'd like to see a few funny ads, and it might be good fun if real companys somehow linked their product to the game universe and its different target audience.

Some product placements are horrible, too in your face and really ruin the aesthetics of the game. One that springs to mind is the inappropriate appearances of airwaves gum in splinter cell. Though the storyline never compelled me enough to be bothered by it.

So, a mech aug ad campaign?

Nothing comes between me and my actuators.
Get modded, meatbags!

3nails4you
7th Aug 2009, 19:59
I agree. Anyone else notice ads for the Orange Box in Left 4 Dead? It had zombies in the background of the picture, and had a picture of a carton of orange juice in the foreground, colored completely orange, and said "The Orange Box" in L4D font. Something like that would be cool :D

Blade_hunter
7th Aug 2009, 20:01
Hatman and Tomb Maider :thumb: :rasp:

fdslk
7th Aug 2009, 20:18
I think that the enterprises or company -corporations maybe?- in the Deus Ex universe should have a rotating advertising, that would add some "realism" to the game.

FrankCSIS
7th Aug 2009, 22:52
Hatman and Tomb Maider :thumb: :rasp:

Hah.

Reminds me of Police Quest 2, where you see Leisure Suit Larry seated at the airport.

K^2
7th Aug 2009, 23:08
I would much rather see adds for fictional products. But if they have a few adds for real products that fit in with the themes of the game, I'm not going to camp outside EM's offices with a high powered rifle over it.

El_Bel
7th Aug 2009, 23:11
Lets think about it people. Coca cola will live for ever.

Maybe you can disable adds if you register your game? This way they will make money of pirates as well as paying customers?

K^2
7th Aug 2009, 23:16
Maybe you can disable adds if you register your game? This way they will make money of pirates as well as paying customers?
Don't give them ideas. You might end up having gameplay interrupted by commercials every fifteen minutes when your SecuRom drivers foo-bar.

El_Bel
8th Aug 2009, 00:20
I dont worry about securrom or any other anti pirate **** they think about. I pirate most of my games and i dont have any problem :)

dixieflatline
8th Aug 2009, 00:30
I don't mind in-game ads so much when they relate to the game's setting, and don't seem out of place. Like billboard ads in racing game, or on the boards in a hockey game. In a science fiction game though, no chance.

3nails4you
8th Aug 2009, 01:41
I dont worry about securrom or any other anti pirate **** they think about. I pirate most of my games and i dont have any problem :)

Yet ;) You never know.

minus0ne
8th Aug 2009, 02:20
Do you guys think this should be a feature in DX3?
A 'feature'? :lol: You should go work at a P.R. firm, they'd hire you in a heartbeat.

Jokes aside, I think it's the most horrible suggestion I've ever come across for ANY game, period. Of course the DX3 gameworld should have advertisements everywhere, same as the first game. However, and this is crucial, it should concern FICTIONAL products of the DX3 world. I don't care how well a product fits the DX3 gameworld, if it exists, it has no place in this game.

Soda cans which say "product placement here", recycled "chocolate" bars with nano-machines* that clean your teeth, Cold Sweat "beer", these things were hilarious (but not over the top). It's totally game breaking to find yourself walking in the DX3 gameworld and see an ad for the Prius or even Bud Light Lime. If it's an existing product, it'll break immersion. I have no problems with parodies of existing products, as many games have done, although there's a fine line between humour and annoying "almost funny" attempts at parody, which will get tedious if you encounter it often.

It amazes me there are people in this thread, aside from the OP, who are even willing to entertain the idea of product placement. I understand product placement has gone completely bonkers in the US, with virtually all TV programming being sponsored in some way or another (the Jon Stewart-Morning "Starbucks" Joe argument was hilarious), but that's no good reason to ruin a possibly great game with advertisements.

* I know it's a prequel, but there's no reason there's won't already be some forms of nanotechnology in the DX3 timelime, considering how fast it's going right now. Perhaps the first generation 'general purpose' (mass produced) nanotech could already make an appearance here and there.

Lo Bruto
8th Aug 2009, 02:29

^
YES

The problem is: in Spider-Man: WOS you could think it's present day New York, or whatever city it takes place. This can increase the role-playing feel, since the game's ads are always changing to newer things... yada yada

But in a dystopian world... it's a hideous idea that shouldn't even be mentioned in these forums, since the devs are actually reading these posts. The idea of walking through a dark, cyberpunk version of a city, looking up and realizing there's a billboard with a McDonald's Dollar menu ad is simply... REVOLTING.

Look at the example below:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Bf2142-advert.png
The game is Battlefield 2142. It takes place in 2142.
The ad is killing the vibe? Yes. And it's a multiplayer-focused game with little focus in the actual story.
Imagine the same ad in DX 3 which is a story-driven game. (I Hope)
Do you really think is a good idea?

^
NO

3nails4you
8th Aug 2009, 03:18
Too true. But in just 10 or 11 short years, advertising a product in a futuristic way, could potentially work. Just something to think about.

thomasaquinas
8th Aug 2009, 06:28
Certainly not. I voted "no". Although, it's inclusion is a logical next step at this point.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Aug 2009, 06:49
I voted no, simply because I don't like the idea of in-game ads.

Necros
10th Aug 2009, 20:54
No changing ads. I don't think we'll spend weeks or months in game time. Though if we do, it could work.

Fictional ads should be used again, like in DX 1 & 2, but a few real brands wouldn't hurt if they are used right. Not in our face and not the current versions of their ads.

Jerion
10th Aug 2009, 21:30
In-Game advertisements a la Battlefield 2142? In Deus Ex 3? Hell no!

If there are fictional ads for the various corporations in the game, that vary from play-through to play-through, then I'm all for it. Otherwise...

foxberg
13th Aug 2009, 20:22
Yes, only if fictional or funny adds. Like an ad for a "Duke Nukem vs. Riddi'k" game or a "Quake 45 - it's even better then the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher!" ad.

Abram730
16th Aug 2009, 16:54
I wouldn't mind it... better if it's fictitious future products like Coca-Cola Negative.. the first negative calorie drink.

ArcR
16th Aug 2009, 17:00
I wouldn't mind it... better if it's fictitious future products like Coca-Cola Negative.. the first negative calorie drink.

I'm not sure I'd drink a soda that uses VersaLife patents.

Jerion
16th Aug 2009, 18:53

You never know...they might get some Gray Death in your cola. :eek:

Daedalus CiarĂ¡n
16th Aug 2009, 19:12
I wouldn't mind Oxfam or Unicef ads. Commercial advertising from real companies I'm okay with, provided whatever they're selling and saying is satirised later on. I don't understand why people can say that it breaks the immersion to have real ads in a game, and then say that having 'Product Placement' as the name of a drink does not. I mean, having something like that, funny though it is, immediately brings you to mind that you're in a game, a product.

Abram730
18th Aug 2009, 05:45

I think illnesses associated with being overweight could go up dramatically with the VersaLife process, but that's to be expected...