PDA

View Full Version : More love in the next tomb raider game(s?)?

LARALOVERnr1
6th Aug 2009, 17:49
i want her to stay single, but what do you guys think?

Princess lara
6th Aug 2009, 17:53
well for me i thought Lara and Kurtis was cute together but i see no return of KT :(

jayjay119
6th Aug 2009, 19:03
I voted for keeping her single, I think Lara alone is the best way. Although I'm not against a love interest for Lara I think with her lifestyle the parter would inevitably be killed, die accidentally or be kidnapped for ransom and we'd spend a whole game as Lara desperately chasing him round the globe.. which sorta demeans her character in my opinion!

_Love2Raid_
6th Aug 2009, 19:18
NOOOOO!!!!

Option I ;)

I think option IV could work, but I prefer option I. :p

Rest = root of all evil

Jurre
6th Aug 2009, 19:20
I only hope the developers will put some more love and passion in the next TR instead of making another pointless sequel.

Meemers
6th Aug 2009, 19:33
I voted for #1. I think a man would slow her down.

rg_001100
6th Aug 2009, 19:41
I only hope the developers will put some more love and passion in the next TR...

As much as possible would be good indeed! :thumbsup:

Though as far as romance is concerned, I just don't think it'd work so well in TR, or not with a character like Lara. (Of those options I liked the last 2 more, but I think they're just a bit too cliche to have any substance for a good story). :hmm:

d1n0_xD
6th Aug 2009, 19:45
Haha,last 2 options are funny :lol: but I voted for her being single...:D A man would just get in the way

My dog Max
6th Aug 2009, 19:45
yes, but the guy she loves turns out to be the bad guy at the end of the game

But,not actually at the end...but they fight for the artifact,but there is chemistry between them...at the end he dies or something...

chriss_99
6th Aug 2009, 20:41
No love scenes in Tomb Raider please!
That's just not what TR is about and I want Lara to be single. She's too good for anyone :D

a_big_house
6th Aug 2009, 20:59
oh, this could be a new light on the tombraider story i think that a man for lara would be great and i think he should be called ryan and they should have a daughter called reana. *cough*

angelus0901
6th Aug 2009, 21:34
I voted that she should be single... As Chris said, she's too good for anyone! ;)

a_big_house
6th Aug 2009, 21:41
fine... end the croft familly

Cheese is nice.
6th Aug 2009, 22:01
Ahem . . . No Way. The love interests in the movies made me angry. Yes, it would make her more human, but it would slow her down. And it would complicate things. Now, a good idea would to somehow bring her father back, but make him evil. Then cue the showdown. That kind of love, I would enjoy.

Max 28
6th Aug 2009, 22:25
But,not actually at the end...but they fight for the artifact,but there is chemistry between them...at the end he dies or something...

This is what I think would work. Just another bad guy who wants the artifact as well, there's a bit of chemistry between them, they share the banter and such and at the end he dies, by Lara's hand or maybe by the tombs.

Cheese is nice.
6th Aug 2009, 22:37
That's what happened on cradle of life. No thanks!

_Love2Raid_
6th Aug 2009, 22:38
Jikes, yes you are right! (I only saw it once = enough)

I am happy to see option 1 is winning. :)

Cheese is nice.
6th Aug 2009, 22:41
This movie had better not be cheesy. I wanted to smash my head against a wall during cradle of life.

Arctic
6th Aug 2009, 23:13
Love isn't a part of the TR series, and I suppose it's best, that it stays that way. Lara must stay single.

_Love2Raid_
6th Aug 2009, 23:21
We're so mean to her, lol. :D

Arctic
6th Aug 2009, 23:26
@ Love2Raid - Yeah, I was thinking the same thing :D We won't allow her to fall in love :p

LARALOVERnr1
7th Aug 2009, 02:59
fine... end the croft familly
maybe not, and mabey they make it M-rated because of that...:D(sarcasm)

OMG, LARA IS PREGNANT???!!!!

Meemers
7th Aug 2009, 03:01
hopefully not! I can't imagine her with a child.......can you?

LARALOVERnr1
7th Aug 2009, 03:06
Now that would slow her down... though it would be lulz to see Winston as a babysitter...

Meemers
7th Aug 2009, 03:10
Now that would slow her down... though it would be lulz to see Winston as a babysitter...

:lol: or maybe even Zip :D

But what if Zip fell in love with someone else?

jayjay119
7th Aug 2009, 11:55
To be honest I don't think it's a case of being mean or not allowing her to fall in love. There are generations of women who fought to be equal to me and were/ are happy to put work in front of marriage and having children (especially from Lara's generation if she is about 30 or over ) because they didn't feel they needed them to define their lives....

LARALOVERnr1
8th Aug 2009, 00:10
But what if Zip fell in love with someone else?
maybe the Doppleganger? A chocolate Baby-Doppleganger:D(no ractic thoughts!)!

AdobeArtist
8th Aug 2009, 02:16
I pretty much keep to my prinicple; the best way to approach a fictional character is the very same way you would a real living human being. Since the best characters are the ones that seem most genuinely real.

So in that context, the question the rest of you should answer is; "Would you want that someone to be alone for the rest of their life? Would you want a friend to be?"

jayjay119
8th Aug 2009, 14:01
I pretty much keep to my prinicple; the best way to approach a fictional character is the very same way you would a real living human being. Since the best characters are the ones that seem most genuinely real.

So in that context, the question the rest of you should answer is; "Would you want that someone to be alone for the rest of their life? Would you want a friend to be?"

But then there is also the side of 'it doesn't matter what you want for anyone else, its what they want for themselves that matters' Lara to me is a feminist, not having a man or a child wouldn't bother her IMHO. A character doesn't need to have a love interest to make them believable, there are plenty of women out there who are contently single and putting their career fist.. I think for a person coming from Lara's era that its realistic

AdobeArtist
8th Aug 2009, 19:53
But then there is also the side of 'it doesn't matter what you want for anyone else, its what they want for themselves that matters' Lara to me is a feminist, not having a man or a child wouldn't bother her IMHO. A character doesn't need to have a love interest to make them believable, there are plenty of women out there who are contently single and putting their career fist.. I think for a person coming from Lara's era that its realistic

Ahhhh jayjay, we once again rattle our sabers :p

If find it ironic that you say 'it doesn't matter what you want for anyone else, its what they want for themselves that matters'. Because threads like this are full of people who impose solitude on Lara as that's what they want for her, for her to conform to a limiting image of "the tough independant girl".

WHY is it that the only way a woman can be strong is to show total disregard for romance, or just any kind of interaction with a man? Am I the only one who is finding this to be such an overdone cliche?

When I talk about realistic character development, I mean that the characters should be fully fleshed out with the complete range of feelings. I'm not even talking about a settled relationship; that Lara needs to move in together with a man and eat breakfast together every morning, that's not the believability I'm talking about.

Just that everybody at some point finds themselves experiences sudden sparks of attraction to someone they meet. Yeah, suddenly finding oneself having a reaction to someone else beyond their control is normal, (even if they don't actively pursue it to form that settled relationship of carrying the girlfriend and boyfriend title) it's human. THAT is what makes a believable person.

And yes there are people who bury themselves in their career and wave their banner, "woohoo, look at me, I am soooooo passionate about what I do". And you know what? Someone who only has their job going for them is boring!! That lacks depth. People who have a life outside their vocation are more rounded and therefore more interesting. And don't we all want Lara to be as interesting as she can be? I actually do say, her being the best archaelogist and saver of the world isn't enough. It's all the aspects of personality, and seeing that there is something about her when she isn't down the depths of a long lost catacomb, combined with her adventuring, that adds depth to her character.

tombraidergal
8th Aug 2009, 20:37
i chose 'yes, but the guy she loves turns out to be the bad guy at the end of the game '

jayjay119
8th Aug 2009, 21:37
Ahhhh jayjay, we once again rattle our sabers :p

If find it ironic that you say 'it doesn't matter what you want for anyone else, its what they want for themselves that matters'. Because threads like this are full of people who impose solitude on Lara as that's what they want for her, for her to conform to a limiting image of "the tough independant girl".

WHY is it that the only way a woman can be strong is to show total disregard for romance, or just any kind of interaction with a man? Am I the only one who is finding this to be such an overdone cliche?

When I talk about realistic character development, I mean that the characters should be fully fleshed out with the complete range of feelings. I'm not even talking about a settled relationship; that Lara needs to move in together with a man and eat breakfast together every morning, that's not the believability I'm talking about.

Just that everybody at some point finds themselves experiences sudden sparks of attraction to someone they meet. Yeah, suddenly finding oneself having a reaction to someone else beyond their control is normal, (even if they don't actively pursue it to form that settled relationship of carrying the girlfriend and boyfriend title) it's human. THAT is what makes a believable person.

And yes there are people who bury themselves in their career and wave their banner, "woohoo, look at me, I am soooooo passionate about what I do". And you know what? Someone who only has their job going for them is boring!! That lacks depth. People who have a life outside their vocation are more rounded and therefore more interesting. And don't we all want Lara to be as interesting as she can be? I actually do say, her being the best archaelogist and saver of the world isn't enough. It's all the aspects of personality, and seeing that there is something about her when she isn't down the depths of a long lost catacomb, combined with her adventuring, that adds depth to her character.

I'm hearing what your saying, it's not that i'm ignoring the credibility or truth in what your saying its just i'm a believer in the cultural impact on realistic character. I think when we see someone behaving in the way that the cultural status of their time would dictate it makes a character believable too. Wow that sounded way to political, in my head anyway lol. By this standard I believe it would be just as normal and believable to see lara, a woman breaking away from her humble background into her own grand career during an era where there was a lot of feminist, alone as it would to see her in a relationship. However like I said earlier, i'm not apposed to the theory of a love interest, I'd just like it to be done right. The kidnapped boyfriend that Lara simply must rescue no matter what the cost to the world or the love interest who uses Lara and turns out to be a big bad at the end is just all to cliche to me!

andrew90
8th Aug 2009, 22:35
I think she should stay single. You don't need to be with someone to be happy or "complete" ,she love's andshe's happy of what she's doing and that's her life ,i think.

DamianGraham
8th Aug 2009, 22:40
lara is mine D: lol #1 all the way then again her and zips love child could make for an interesting story, better still it was alisters love child :0 dun dun dahhhhhhh still number one

Jurre
9th Aug 2009, 00:53

No you're not. That is indeed a big problem with many fictional kick-ass-women as I think it makes the characters shallow and very unlikable - which is the very reason why I never cared for Lara Croft untill I read a review of Legend that told that she had become a full character.

One of the things that makes Nariko from Heavenly Sword such a great character is that she actually does have emotions, friends, a history, and interacts with others, -though not with a romantic friend but with her father and a little retard girl- all the things that Crystal D first tried to put in Lara as well but the fans wanted to be destroyed...

RaiderGirl#1
9th Aug 2009, 12:51
I think that Lara should stay single...she just doesn't seem like the type that would settle down in the first place, and it wouldn't be Tomb Raider if she had a man accompanying her around everywhere.

Lara, to me, also doesn't seem like the type to trust people very well...I just feel like it might be a little out of her character to fall in love with someone...at least quickly. I don't know though.

I think it would also be nice to have some more characters or...at least a way that they're connected so that there is a little more realism and the characters will then be deeper. I know Lara had emotion in the last game, but more emotion would be great too :)

Ants_27_
9th Aug 2009, 13:31
Keep her single but for the love of God stay away from the whole, 'Lara falls in love that person then becomes the main bad guy!' It's be used, used and used. I guess it would come down to how they write it though.:scratch:

Or

Lara falls in love and the main bad guy kidnaps them and threatens to kill them unless Lara retrieves [insert object here]. Stay away from them!

The only love Lara should get is from Crystal Dynamics. Create the next one so it feels they actually put their heart and soul into it and did not give up.:cool:

chriss_99
9th Aug 2009, 18:57
If the leaked concept art and information turn out to be true, there will be no love relationship anyway, because Lara will be alone on the island.
Unless, you guys want her to fall in love with a zombie :lol:

Space_Monkey
9th Aug 2009, 19:00
I chose no because i thought, how would a tomb raider game play out with lara being all lovey dovey kissin up in old tombs and getting da funky on king arthurs tomb?!

Tomb Raider game without love = :thumb:

Tomb Raider game with love = :cheek:

and im just gonna post this because well, its amazing! :keir::keir::keir:

mikey716
9th Aug 2009, 19:17

oh same here tha whole game wiont feel tomb raider

well 4every1 when aod was coming i bought a mag tht said tht kutis was her long lost brother well i guess it was wrong

but wat would had happen in tht scene where about to kiss well i guess almost but wat do u think would had happen if those gun man didnt come in

DamianGraham
9th Aug 2009, 20:39
If the leaked concept art and information turn out to be true, there will be no love relationship anyway, because Lara will be alone on the island.

ooh lara on zombie action how hot :P

Meemers
9th Aug 2009, 20:53

ooh lara on zombie action how hot :P

yeah....because everyone would want to see that! :lol: :lol: :lmao: :rolleyes:

DamianGraham
9th Aug 2009, 21:12
ahaha i know right?? well, the only "boyfriend" lara should ever have is adventure!

AdobeArtist
10th Aug 2009, 01:17
I think she should stay single. You don't need to be with someone to be happy or "complete" ,she love's andshe's happy of what she's doing and that's her life ,i think.

I think that Lara should stay single...she just doesn't seem like the type that would settle

down in the first place, and it wouldn't be Tomb Raider if she had a man accompanying her around everywhere.

OMG, are you people actually being serious here?? WHO said anything about "settling down" or having a man "accompany her everywhere she goes? So Lara taking interest in a man automatically means it leads into a deeply commited relationship right there on Day One? Is this what you people think of dating?

You all actually think the first moment she sees a man that makes her smile, she's right away going to trade in the gun holster for an apron, start baking apple pie, and decorating a nursery? Is that how all your relationships started? Any of you out there? A show of hands please?

Geez louise people, lets get a grip here. That is NOT how relationships work, not in the real world at last. From my experience, it always starts slowly, and by no means does the relationship replace the life style of the individual. They date, and believe it or not, they STILL pursue their vocations and personal passions. I don't know of anyone who quit their jobs just because they met someone that gets their engine revved. I don't know of any real couple that spends every waking minute together. They still each go to their respective jobs, and yes they can't spend time with their own friends as much as they used to, but they still do, while also giving time to that significant other.

The point being, spending quality time together does NOT mean spending ALL time together. Usually, the couple just stays in touch when not being together; phoning, emailing, txt messaging, that sorta thing. They work, and then have their dinner dates, and then they part to go back to their respective lives until the next time. They don't just move in right away, and never leave each others sight. THIS IS NORMAL FOR RELATIONSHIPS. It would NOT cause Lara to have to sacrifice anything, and in fact she could GAIN something unique and fulfilling.

This perception some of you have that Lara meeting someone just automatically leads to the moving into the house with the white picket fence, because its her true love forever and ever, and sure enough she'll have a kid exactly 9 months later.... WHERE are you getting this idea from? Disney Fairy tales?

While I'm supporting the idea of Lara having a love interest, even I'm not saying this should be part of the gameplay. I'm still expecting to play exploring ancient catacombs and discovering the truths behind legends, not pressing buttons for Lara to go to her mans house, and do a quicktime sequence for the dinner experience. The relationship would just be there in the background, for those in between cinematics, there to show us the audience that she's a rounded human being.

And for Thor's sake, a love interest is not, not, not, NOT about "needing someone else to feel complete". Is that why you think everybody out there dates? Both those in commited and in casual relationships? That they're all relying on someone else to give them a sense of purpose, a reason to live, that all dating and attraction in general is based purely on dependency? Holy *bleep* because if you do, you really need to re-examine your life perspectives.

On the final note; with the idea that some of you share - "Exploration is Lara's life, that's all she needs", man, if that really IS the only thing she has going for her and defines her, that is actually a really really sad outlook on Lara.

iRawr
10th Aug 2009, 01:57
I can see what your trying to put through in your perspective. Lara still going off to do what she does while she still has time for a real relationship and not the world of adventure as her major love. But this is all nonsense! She's a fictional character for crying out loud! I'm not saying that Lara should nor shouldn't have a romance (there is no button for that option) but we can't change what she can and can't do, have or not have in the next game!

Dusk Knight
10th Aug 2009, 05:07
I voted no, keep Lara single.
I can see the charm of having a well thought out and appealing romantic interest for her, but I don't really see it working too well with the gameplay and stories that characterize Tomb Raider.

From a gameplay perspective, the romantic subplot works best when it's interactive. In my opinion, it's just not as compelling as in movies or books when a game has you sit back and watch it unfold.
Games like the Sims and Bioware RPGs give they player control over this. Characters get together because the player voluntarily encouraged or allowed it. There is also the option to avoid it. However, I don't think Tomb Raider should necessarily have the mechanics needed to allow this control (interactive dialog, etc.). So if the romance would be something that the player witnesses and has no input or control, then it serves a potential detachment from the Lara persona for many players.

From a story perspective, the notion that Lara is the type of person who is just too busy and preoccupied (obsessed?) with what she does to be actively dating is very realistic in this day and age. Maybe she does take some time off to date when she's not raiding, and maybe it's just too uneventful and detached from the games' stories to show.
Or maybe she's too emotionally scarred from everyone around her dying (or coming close) to open up to someone that way. Maybe she'll heal someday and part of her wishes it were different when she meets certain individuals, but for now, her passion goes into things other than living people.

AdobeArtist
10th Aug 2009, 23:34
I voted no, keep Lara single.
I can see the charm of having a well thought out and appealing romantic interest for her, but I don't really see it working too well with the gameplay and stories that characterize Tomb Raider.

From a gameplay perspective, the romantic subplot works best when it's interactive. In my opinion, it's just not as compelling as in movies or books when a game has you sit back and watch it unfold.
Games like the Sims and Bioware RPGs give they player control over this. Characters get together because the player voluntarily encouraged or allowed it. There is also the option to avoid it. However, I don't think Tomb Raider should necessarily have the mechanics needed to allow this control (interactive dialog, etc.). So if the romance would be something that the player witnesses and has no input or control, then it serves a potential detachment from the Lara persona for many players.

From a story perspective, the notion that Lara is the type of person who is just too busy and preoccupied (obsessed?) with what she does to be actively dating is very realistic in this day and age. Maybe she does take some time off to date when she's not raiding, and maybe it's just too uneventful and detached from the games' stories to show.
Or maybe she's too emotionally scarred from everyone around her dying (or coming close) to open up to someone that way. Maybe she'll heal someday and part of her wishes it were different when she meets certain individuals, but for now, her passion goes into things other than living people.

As far as the cinematics goes, how would the romantic scenraios be different from any other cut scene in all the other TR games? When Lara is interacting with Larson in Anniversary (or the original if you prefer) you the player has no say in how that scene unfolds. Same with the cut scenes with Natla in her glass prison. You don't get to choose to hurl insults, how Lara interrogates Natla or even making the choice to killing her outright before any dialog occurs.

Tomb Raider has always had prescripted scenes used to advance the direction of the plot and where you would play next. It isn't an RPG series so I don't see that it needs any player interaction in the cinematics.

And like i said before, I don't want romantic character elements to turn the series into a social/dating game, which is why I suggested that those character scenes are best served in the cinematics as background elements, same as her relationship with Zip, Winston, and what she used to have with Alister. It would be there to give us insight into Lara's world and what goes on in her life when we're not in control making her scale a mayan wall, again to add depth to the character you can't get from the gameplay alone.

--

Getting to the reasons of her "choosing" to be single (if indeed that really is her prerogative) I'm sorry, I just don't buy the "buried in her work" excuse. I know we often hear about "being completely dedicated, always in our work 24/7" and such. But honestly, that's just an expression, it's not literal. Even the hardest working doctors and lawyers still get out there once in a while and socialize, even if it is after a 3 month stretch of back to back nights of working. And certainly, someone taking the time out here and there in no way undermines their dedication to their vocation.

Now with the emotional scarring issue, yes you do have something there. It is true, that some people have some very traumatic experiences which affect them severely enough to create fear of intimacy.

The idea that someone can be so strong, determined, and powerful, yet at the same time so vulnerable, actually does make for a compelling character. But if that is the case, they should be using that in the story instead of ignoring it completely. So by all means, have a cinematic that shows a pained expression in Lara's eyes when she is being flirted with, some form of sorrowful introspection that shows she is maybe tempted, but at the same time apprehnsive of the possibilities (maybe even scenes of past game deaths like Alisters flash across the screen) and what it could lead to that makes her wary.

This would at least be SOMETHING, just a small glimpse that shows us there is a real feeling human being underneath the brave exterior, and there are complexities to a hero that adds depth and makes her far more interesting.

Of course I still have to play devils advocate on this point. Sure it could be argued that a history of relationship tragedy would lead people to closing themselves off to new interactions. That would be the "logical" thing to do one would think. But when has romance or most other emotional scenarios ever been logical? lol :rasp: It's one of the more attractive things about love, people seldom ever make a concious choice about it.

Regardless of what's happened in the past, and what "plans" they've made, the most unexpected encounter comes along that totally throws a wrench into the machine, and the person finds themselves experiencing feelings they thought long abandoned, and despite their best efforts (the concious) are unable to stop. Basically, it just happens, and no amount of planning or past tragedy can stop it. Try and deny this :p

LARALOVERnr1
11th Aug 2009, 20:00
when i read that i was like whaaaooo.... :nut:

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
11th Aug 2009, 22:05
i'd rather Lara stay single.

(lost in thought) there's was a great crack in the earth, and Lara can either save her lover or the relic she found from falling. she kisses the man and then let's him drop...

*evil laugh* muhahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

AdobeArtist
11th Aug 2009, 23:18
when i read that i was like whaaaooo.... :nut:

Too much to digest, or that I'M a few bullets short of a clip? ;) ;)

LARALOVERnr1
12th Aug 2009, 23:18
i'd rather Lara stay single.

(lost in thought) there's was a great crack in the earth, and Lara can either save her lover or the relic she found from falling. she kisses the man and then let's him drop...

*evil laugh* muhahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

your to good for him! i want Lara to kill him with a spoon!:eek::lmao:

Error96_
14th Aug 2009, 19:38
Kurtis was the best love interest. There I did see something happen. CD wrote the Larson bits quite well in TRA with seeming chemistry there. If they are to have a love intrest it should be written like that. Certainly a lot of twists needed in a TR love intrest story. The love would have to be another raider.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
22nd Aug 2009, 00:19
One Word. Kurtis!!! Hmm yes. I know many of you won't be with me but I liked him.

DarthVader#1
22nd Aug 2009, 03:03
if they make another love interest for Lara i'm gonna puke.

Andy64
22nd Aug 2009, 12:05
A single Lara with more Lara and Larson type flirting would be best.