PDA

View Full Version : The good thing thread!

3nails4you
3rd Aug 2009, 16:34
So we've been hearing a lot of negatives and complaining about what's been announced for DX3. I think it will be helpful to have a thread to focus on the positives! I don't know if we've had one of these yet, but I think it'll help the mood on the forums. I'll start - just post something you are eager for or excited about with DX3!

Here's mine:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/scand-1.jpg

I really like that blade aug. It kinda reminds me of Assassin's Creed, always having a smaller melee weapon always at the ready. Not to mention, it looks epic.

UPDATE: Here's a shortened list of everything that's been mentioned so far, some of theme combined into the same general statement.

-Screenshots of the sewer are reminiscent of DX1.
-Reflective floors.
-Newspapers.
-They’re making DX3.
-Time-appropriate realistic architecture.
-Burger King
-Cool augs in general, as well as weapons and environment.
-Compatability.
-Promising concept art.
-Non-Universal (galactic?) ammo.
-Lack of tentacles.
-Color.
-Epic protagonist.
-Large urban areas.
-Potential.
-Energy-efficiency.
-Clothing.
-Dialog.
-Prequel-ness
-Stealth system. Yes, the stealth system.
-That cool banner.
-In there, actually a lot of non-positive things. You people…
-General feel of the game being dark, like DX, while not actually night.
-The fact that this thread exists.
-Sexy weapons.
-Sheldon Pacotti.

dani
3rd Aug 2009, 17:28
The sewer screenshots are very cool. This reminds me the original Deus Ex.

Jerion
3rd Aug 2009, 17:41
Mirror-y floors, among many other things. This little touch is a really nice carryover from the original.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/AdamsApartment.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/2922924126_b2969084d1.jpg?v=0

I bring up the mirror floors because so far people seem to have overlooked them.

3nails4you
3rd Aug 2009, 19:11
Ah...yeah, it really was a new thing with DX1 wasn't it, running around in places like UNATCO, seeing yourself in those shiny floors. Good one :D

gamer0004
3rd Aug 2009, 20:12
They announced newspapers.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Aug 2009, 20:16
The main good/positive thing for me is the fact that EM have taken on the franchise in the first place, I'm really thankful to them for that and look forward to DX3. :thumb:

I love all the screenshots so far, but my fave is the realistic look of the city streets with the mixture of current and more modern (but not too futuristic) architecture. I also like the inclusion of energy-efficient props such as the wind-turbines and the solar-powered street lights.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/statue.jpg

KSingh77
3rd Aug 2009, 20:28
Do I spy a Burger King in that image?

Jerion
3rd Aug 2009, 20:29
Yes you do. And there's a Burger King at the real square too.

Spyhopping
3rd Aug 2009, 20:40
Do I also recall a hairdressers in the first floor? Important information... perhaps it means something :p

Edit: In tune with the established style of augs I was expecting lots of bare metal, but it would be logical for augmented people to try and look more human. In short, I think the augs are and will look great :D

Love the weapons we have seen so far, and the environmental concepts. The environments feel very different to the original's style though, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more grit and grime. The thing that feels the most "Deus ex" to me so far is the image of Adam, my favorite concept by a long way.

Unstoppable
3rd Aug 2009, 21:21
Never heard of Deus Ex 3! What's Deus Ex 3, no thx k bye bye!

Igoe
4th Aug 2009, 01:21
I love the orange and flesh-colored themes in the art. I love the mechaug concepts (even though the augs in DX1 are prevalently blueish)

I like the focus on LARGE urban areas littered with advertising and a general ambiance that blends asian grit with sterile laboratories.

I absolutely adore AJ from a stylistic standpoint, and if his voice is gravelly and not "hipster generic guy" like Alex D was in IW, I believe he will be an awesome character.

I like the design of the weapons, and the third person shots to show AJ's development.

FrankCSIS
4th Aug 2009, 02:13
but my fave is the realistic look of the city streets with the mixture of current and more modern (but not too futuristic) architecture

This is Montreal we're talking about. In order for such a building to exist in the 2020's, we should have started construction in...well, the 1970's I guess.

I don't even think the CHUM will be built in 2025.

Oh oh, Montreal inside joke. Come to think of it, the CHUM should be part of the game. Like an ad saying "site of the future CHUM" or some such thing. The joke alone would almost redeem health regen.

TrickyVein
4th Aug 2009, 03:14
I'd like to see how the story culminates in the formation of UNATCO - convoluted as the agency's origins are as to when it was actually formed. The game has a lot of potential from what we've seen, little as it may be.

thomasaquinas
4th Aug 2009, 03:43
This is Montreal we're talking about. In order for such a building to exist in the 2020's, we should have started construction in...well, the 1970's I guess.

I don't even think the CHUM will be built in 2025.
We also didn't even see hints of architecture remotely that futuristic in Deus Ex. Not even trace remnants of it. If the image means to imply that wind technology will be adopted as a viable source of main-grid power in a few decades, then that is also fairly silly. I was going to let this go so they could have their "positivity" thread - truth gets in the way of a good story, and all that, but I couldn't help it.

Carry on.

PlasmaSnake101
4th Aug 2009, 04:02
I also like the inclusion of energy-efficient props such as the wind-turbines and the solar-powered street lights.

You would think by 2020 people would realize how impractical and inefficient solar and wind energy really is. I want to talk about that more but I don't want to turn this into an alternative energy thread.

I like most of what I heard so far, the augs look nice, the locations look wonderful. The weapons look enjoyable, and the whole squad leader think for all enemy groups makes it sound like this game may feature a bit of strategy yet.

3nails4you
4th Aug 2009, 05:31
It is now because we can't really capture it very well with current technology. Solar power, however, has a lot of potential, and if the amount of energy that we know is there can be harnessed, it would help cost of fuel and energy a lot. Maybe by then we will have more effecient means of capturing all of that unused energy.

Abram730
4th Aug 2009, 10:40
I remember correctly the available energy is something like 16X all the power we use in the US for wind and 50,000X for solar. So there is a lot of solar.

Ashpolt
4th Aug 2009, 11:09
In general, I like the way the game looks, it's just the substance that sounds worrying - much as with most modern games (but that's a topic for another thread!) The augs look great in concept art - hopefully they'll look as good in game. In general, I like the fact that it's a prequel, because I'm looking forward to seeing the (comparitively) clunky mech augs, rather than the super sleek nano augs.

Other good points...well, the media blackout means they might be taking the time necessary to fix the issues that we've pretty much all been complaining about. I doubt it, but hey, this is the positivity thread, so let's hope for the best!

gamer0004
4th Aug 2009, 11:35
Edit: In tune with the established style of augs I was expecting lots of bare metal, but it would be logical for augmented people to try and look more human. In short, I think the augs are and will look great :D

Established style = everything.

Or, rather, it should be.

Jima B
4th Aug 2009, 12:05
I Love the fact that they decided to revert to the DX1 style health system, as well as scrapping many other consolified elements too :)
Oh wait no, that was a dream :(

I'm looking forward to the sole first person gameplay?
wait... no...

Errr.... Well atleast Ill see my favourite augs! Oh... no, they'll have to take regen out wont they?

Multiplaye... oh, wait no....

well... Non universal ammo looks good :D

I guess the storyline looks like it has the potential to be awesome too...
Hopefully, like so many other games do, they wont disappoint.

Blade_hunter
4th Aug 2009, 13:42
The good thing seems to be

The inventory second what I know (nothing certain but it seems to be good)
The weapon customization with visible upgrades
Original weapons (I wanted original weapons like the first deus ex)
Mechanical upgrades with visible upgrades

the only gameplay element is small (the inventory) all the rest are purely graphical.
there is some mystery about the ammo and even the weapon customization (for example is it possible to add a scope or an under barrel weapon.

Actually there a low amount of good elements that seems to be part of the gameplay

PenguinsFriend
4th Aug 2009, 14:26
I love the clothing and the not too futuristic concept art. I also like that they haven't gone total cyberpunk - after all - we still have a while to go before we get to JC Denton.

Well done - great threat - thanks for posting this!

lumpi
4th Aug 2009, 15:44
The dialog system sounds kinda nice from what I heard so far.

3nails4you
4th Aug 2009, 15:53
Well done - great threat - thanks for posting this!

I want to state for the record that I made NO threats. But thanks XD

mad_red
4th Aug 2009, 22:03
I like the fact that they've chosen to make a prequel, and that they've chosen to frame the storyline and art concept against the backdrop of a renaissance period. I think that makes for great art and an intruiging backstory.

That's why I also like this:

I like the focus on LARGE urban areas

It might feel incongruous when compared to the DX1 vision of the future, which is dated and unimaginative by today's standards, but that is assuredly no fault on the part of DX1, because DX1 is perfect beyond all reason (it really is, darn you).

With the great art and background, if it does nothing else right, I imagine that DX3 can at least impart a sense of wonder and fascination about what the future may hold.

There, I said it. Now I'm going to dote on dx1 again.

FrankCSIS
4th Aug 2009, 23:53
Inconsistencies aside, I also like the idea of a prequel. Renaissance is ever so decadent, it leaves room for endless abuses and conspiracies.

What I'd really like as a setting is the equivalent of the 1800's though, set in the future, instead of pure renaissance. This was truly a remarkable and intriguing period. There has never been, prior or after, as many patents registered as there was in this century, and yet it was still filled with legends and oddities. Two worlds clashing, really, and yet living perfectly well together. The most interesting horror and fantasy is set in that era.

PlasmaSnake101
5th Aug 2009, 00:10
I remember correctly the available energy is something like 16X all the power we use in the US for wind and 50,000X for solar. So there is a lot of solar.

You can produce more energy with nuclear using one square mile instead of covering the nation with solar panels that must be maintained , cleaned, cared for. Nuclear is much more useful, you don't need an army of laborers to clean the reactor daily, also you can have constant energy rather than rely on the sun and base your power grid off of something unreliable. In areas with heavy rain its not good because the sun is not out, and in dry areas it doesn't work because it's too dusty(at least here in the desert, God I've got to move). You can read more on it here:
http://mises.org/story/3536

I like the stealth system, sue me.

On a side note, what kind of concerns me is a quote file, we need one for DX3. I want it confirmed this instant. Also, I want cigarettes, and hopefully they won't damage you like every other game.

Hertzila
5th Aug 2009, 01:16
The premise seems good, the story has A LOT of potential, upgrade system seems nice and the squad based AI is most propably a nice addition. Also the stealth mechanic can work and while I would prefer shadow-based system here I can live perfectly well with this system too, at least if they are able to make a good balanced system between the eagle-eye enemies (guys that can see you within a radius of a mile) and the MGS Syndrome (MGS Guards Sensory Syndrome, guys that are supposed to see you coming from a reasonable distance and hear you from it if not careful but in truth they are nigh-blind and deaf).

dixieflatline
5th Aug 2009, 20:28
Thanks OP for making this thread.

I'm happy to think that although my ideal Deus Ex 3 would be based around the design concepts of the first game, I still have to admit to myself that even how I think the game is going to turn out, it will still be a game that I look forward to playing and one that I'll probably enjoy.

And as far as I'm concerned , any cyberpunk themed game , I'm happy to see.

KSingh77
5th Aug 2009, 20:48
Found this from the image thread

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3710/deusexapartment.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2009, 21:24
^ Yeah, looks good! :thumb:

3nails4you
5th Aug 2009, 21:30
Nice! The window-y things on the right side of that banner do a good job of showing the cool mix Eidos is doing between futuristic and Renaissance. Good find :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2009, 21:35
I really want one of those banners for my games-room wall. :cool:

Alex Jacobson
6th Aug 2009, 01:58
The good thing about DX3 is that it is actually being made and will be an OK game. With luck, it will be ravaged savagely by modders on a holy mission.

On a more pessimistic note: DX3 will not be the biggest let down for a series, that spot is reserved for Empire Earth 3.
If you've played the original Empire Earth, you will know what I mean. Unfortunately it is a very similar situation to what is going on with DX3.

3nails4you
6th Aug 2009, 06:45
The good thing about DX3 is that it is actually being made and will be an OK game. With luck, it will be ravaged savagely by modders on a holy mission.

On a more pessimistic note: DX3 will not be the biggest let down for a series, that spot is reserved for Empire Earth 3.
If you've played the original Empire Earth, you will know what I mean. Unfortunately it is a very similar situation to what is going on with DX3.

That...had only the slightest bit of positivity. Make specific, positive comments, people!

Blade_hunter
6th Aug 2009, 10:06
Just prey for the SDK I just think people would make a great clean up

BlazeL
6th Aug 2009, 15:17
Ah...yeah, it really was a new thing with DX1 wasn't it, running around in places like UNATCO, seeing yourself in those shiny floors. Good one :D

Unreal, 3rd room you visit in the game on the Vortex Rikers, and many more... probably it's something to do with the same engine. ;) I like it tough, but just if it's not on wooden floor etc, so it isn't looking inconsistent like on the first quoted picture...

The sewer screenshots are very cool. This reminds me the original Deus Ex.
I like those pictures too, but they are a bit too orange for me.

Solar power, however, has a lot of potential...
In an all night game??? :D Wait, will it be an all nighter?

I don't want to ruin the ambiance here at all, but reading this thread, i just realized that there were no good news for me since they announced the game. I like nothing that was revealed about DX3 so far. :( (Nor art stile, nor the 'prequelness', nor announced gameplay decisions... i just can't find a good looking thing so far. It's just my subjective opinion, tough, but that's the basis of my pessimism.)

I'm still interested tough (that's one positive thing at least, doesn't it?), and i hope they will deliver something that lives up at least to IW. [I like that game FYI]

dark_angel_7
6th Aug 2009, 15:47
^ Yeah, looks good! :thumb:

Shame - I wish it was from the actual game...

Blade_hunter
6th Aug 2009, 16:02
Personally there is only good graphics, second some persons even multiple ammo per weapons are in question, one of the things who made deus ex great, the skills (I hope with the biomods they won't make the same mistake as in Invisible War: too low amount of slots and mods this killed a lot of customization), I hope the weapons can change a bit their role, like the pistol could receive a scope in DX 1, the fact there is the localized damage system and different forms of healing (food, medkits, robots).
Pretty much things from DX 1 can be expanded but there is only the good news about the inventory
It seems second Mr K and even the Rene's description to be more evolved than the one from DX ...
Most gameplay elements doesn't sound good to me ...
But like anybody this is a subjective opinion

IOOI
6th Aug 2009, 16:06
In an all night game??? :D Wait, will it be an all nighter?

According to René, no.

Thank goodness... though "the general tone of the game will remain brooding and dark" - second The Deus Ex 3 FAQs .
That's a good thing to me. I want to feel the time passing by. AJ has a... - well not so - "regular" job so he should rest and for some moments see the sunlight.

3nails4you
6th Aug 2009, 16:34
That was one real mistake, if you ask me, in IW. It was night pretty much all the time (I can't even tell in Cairo XD) but everything was still so bright, it might as well have been day. DX1 did a great job of actually sometimes making you use your flashlight (except now, after so many playthrough's, the use of the flashlight greatly diminishes).

People, try not to turn this into a "here's one good thing, now I will complain about the rest of the stuff" thread. On this thread, if you don't have good things and only good things to say, don't say anything at all. There are plenty of whining threads out there.

And Blaze, I guess you're right, but for me, playing DX when I was 10 years old, when it first came out, all that was a new thing to me :D <3 nostalgia.

BlazeL
6th Aug 2009, 16:37
According to René, no.

How very sad. [But thanks for the info!]

I must reconsider my previous statement. I find one thing that i'm positive about. I realized reading a post of René in an other thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1098652&postcount=45), that the narrative/story implementation looked promising for me for some times now, and his post reassured my hopes.

Bloodwolf806
6th Aug 2009, 17:14
I like the whole thing so far. Sounds like an awesome game. It's gonna take a miracle to match the original Deus Ex, but that doesn't mean it can't be an awesome game in it's own right.

Blade_hunter
6th Aug 2009, 18:00
It depends what are the primary things you expect from a game, or primarily in a Deus Ex like game.
For the scenario I don't think this will be bad but this isn't the main thing I expect from a game.
For me the gameplay is the most important feature and most gameplay elements doesn't match with what I expect, but some persons seems to be happy with them.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Aug 2009, 18:16
It's gonna take a miracle to match the original Deus Ex, but that doesn't mean it can't be an awesome game in it's own right.

This is exactly how I look at it. :thumb:

Blade_hunter
6th Aug 2009, 18:19
People who love R6 vegas, for sure they will be happy with the new deus ex ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Aug 2009, 18:20
^
The two games are exactly the same?

Blade_hunter
6th Aug 2009, 18:32
In therms of gameplay they look very similar, also some other game uses the same ingredients and have a similar gameplay in therms of combat ...
that means in therms of fighting there is a strong chance to have a similar game.
I don't say it will be identical but similar and there is a lot of FPS actually who uses the same mechanics and strangely in a similar manner, there is only some tweaks who differ one game from an other ...
The 3rd person cover system and the regenerating health are ones of the main ingredients for the combat, I don't have all informations but it seems to be a replica of the R6 vegas gameplay for the combat.

Now all the actions aren't similar but the combat is the feature who seem to be a direct copy

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Aug 2009, 21:39
Okay. :)

thomasaquinas
7th Aug 2009, 01:10
According to René, no.FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Every single new thing I find out about this game is bad.

Oh, right. Positivity thread. Sorry.

Blade_hunter
7th Aug 2009, 01:49
Don't worry for me the R6 Vegas combat just make me :(
but look there is happy people over here ;)

InGroove2
7th Aug 2009, 14:52
They announced newspapers.

where did they announce it? i love your wording sometimes... are newspapers something you ANNOUNCE? i mean, did they hav a tv press conference!? did they play Also sprach Zarathustra while proclaiming the presence of readable newspapers in DX3?
or is just an assertion of intillectual authority?
:rasp:

seriously though, i'm just giving you a hard time for being the forum's primary dissenter... jk jk
where did they confirm that there will be newspapers?

PenguinsFriend
7th Aug 2009, 17:08
I want to state for the record that I made NO threats. But thanks XD

opps - I'd edit it to "thread" but then it wouldn't be as funny lol

mad_red
9th Aug 2009, 21:02
are newspapers something you ANNOUNCE? i mean, did they hav a tv press conference!?

I'm not sure what to think of this... I'm sure they just want to assure the old-timers that the little things of DX1 made it into DX3.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind them making a huge big deal out of importing certain things out of DX1. Personally, I wouldn't mind having lots of DX1 in my cup of DX3, so by all means, have president Obama announce it!

ANYWAY, I also like what FrankCIS said. I'd love to see some inspiration taken from the ambiance and zeitgeist of the 19th century and the industrial revolution.

Tesla's era would be wonderful: it's said that amazing technologies were being created and experimented with in the public. The public couldn't understand much of it, and so when eventually they got surpressed and few remembered. (Tesla was a contemporary of Edison, for reference.) I imagine this happened for a while with the advent of cheap, practical nanotechnology before DX1, so possibly sometime during DX3.

I'm really excited about to see how DX3 handles one of the main themes: man and technology.

edit: whoa! looks like

3nails4you
9th Aug 2009, 22:02
opps - I'd edit it to "thread" but then it wouldn't be as funny lol

This time I think you mean "oops."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Aug 2009, 00:03
I should add that it's also a good thing to have a good thing thread. :thumb:

Bloodwolf806
10th Aug 2009, 04:58
The weapon designs in this game are just damn sexy.

Lo Bruto
10th Aug 2009, 13:39
Well, I do like the whole prequel idea, nonetheless I know that what EM is doing is different from a de facto prequel. Even with that... I'm liking the game so far.

Necros
10th Aug 2009, 20:34
Well, I like a lot of things, among them are the basic story setup, the design, the art style, the weapons, the dialogue system and the fact that Sheldon Pacotti is helping out with the story. :)

In therms of gameplay they look very similar, also some other game uses the same ingredients and have a similar gameplay in therms of combat ...
that means in therms of fighting there is a strong chance to have a similar game.
I don't say it will be identical but similar and there is a lot of FPS actually who uses the same mechanics and strangely in a similar manner, there is only some tweaks who differ one game from an other ...
The 3rd person cover system and the regenerating health are ones of the main ingredients for the combat, I don't have all informations but it seems to be a replica of the R6 vegas gameplay for the combat.

Now all the actions aren't similar but the combat is the feature who seem to be a direct copy
I don't see it that way. But we'll know when EM shows some gameplay videos. :)

Jerion
10th Aug 2009, 21:45
where did they announce it? i love your wording sometimes... are newspapers something you ANNOUNCE? i mean, did they hav a tv press conference!? did they play Also sprach Zarathustra while proclaiming the presence of readable newspapers in DX3?
or is just an assertion of intillectual authority?
:rasp:

seriously though, i'm just giving you a hard time for being the forum's primary dissenter... jk jk
where did they confirm that there will be newspapers?

Maybe the newspaper announcement will be on the front page!

The weapon designs in this game are just damn sexy.

Amen to that! :cool:

Blade_hunter
10th Aug 2009, 21:49
Read the moderators FAQ, we don't have health kits, the third person cover is used as a gameplay mechanic for the COMBAT and the health regen too, that means we got something like R6 vegas for the combat. also there is a lot of games who actually uses the same mechanics for the same reasons

Necros
10th Aug 2009, 21:58
Read the moderators FAQ, we don't have health kits, the third person cover is used as a gameplay mechanic for the COMBAT and the health regen too, that means we got something like R6 vegas for the combat. also there is a lot of games who actually uses the same mechanics for the same reasons
I've read it, and everything else about the game. We'll see who's right in a few months, hopefully.

Jerion
10th Aug 2009, 22:11
http://news.cnet.com/i/ne/p/2005/1019xbox360controller550x50.jpg

A more concise message I have never seen. My hat is off to you, sir.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Aug 2009, 22:20
... and the white ones don't stay clean for long. ;)

Blade_hunter
10th Aug 2009, 22:25
http://news.cnet.com/i/ne/p/2005/1019xbox360controller550x50.jpg

The same as Mr K This explains everything

@ Necros I hope you got right and I will be wrong but actually everything anoounces that gameplay in the trend that the gaming industry tends to offer for FPS

thomasaquinas
11th Aug 2009, 05:31
I've read it, and everything else about the game. We'll see who's right in a few months, hopefully.I'm confused. Are you suggesting the information in the FAQ might be inaccurate? I get the impression you're trying to suggest that Regenerating Health and a third person click-n-hide in-combat stealth system might not actually end up generating combat reminiscent of R6 Vegas, which is incomprehensible.

3nails4you
11th Aug 2009, 07:10
There are other threads about this/a PM function on the forums! Keep this thread simply positive DX3 stuff, please!

Alex Jacobson
11th Aug 2009, 12:58
DX3 will help the economy.

Jerion
11th Aug 2009, 14:18
There are other threads about this/a PM function on the forums! Keep this thread simply positive DX3 stuff, please!

Thank you. :)

PenguinsFriend
11th Aug 2009, 14:38
This time I think you mean "oops."

lol - well I always new my spelling sucked! :o

Blade_hunter
11th Aug 2009, 15:15
Depends for some persons
The the industry has a whole has grown up is a good news, like the R6 vegas combat, the regenerating health, the 3rd person cover and such, but every good news isn't good for everyone ;)

Ashpolt
11th Aug 2009, 15:58
lol - well I always new my spelling sucked! :o

*knew

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Aug 2009, 10:23
Hehe, love it. :D

dixieflatline
18th Aug 2009, 20:01
Sorry pha, I guess you didn't get the memo: this is a pessimism free thread. ;)

3nails4you
18th Aug 2009, 20:17
Indeed. Good things only, please! Even if you disagree with someone's point, post ONLY good things! There are over 9,000 argument and whining threads!

ArcR
18th Aug 2009, 20:46
Stephen D'somethin' said that EM was going to breath life back into the franchise making it and epic "AAA" addition. If I happen to purchase it during the first month of release and this isn't so I'll be calling him for a refund.

Irate_Iguana
18th Aug 2009, 20:49
The fact that there are different upgrade paths possible for each augmentation is something I like.

Malah
18th Aug 2009, 20:56
Stephen D'somethin' said that EM was going to breath life back into the franchise making it and epic "AAA" addition. If I happen to purchase it during the first month of release and this isn't so I'll be calling him for a refund.

Which is why PC games don't have demos any more. :) :) (happy, happy, joy, joy.. )

Wait.. what?

Edit: To be fair, some (most? all?) Eidos games have had a PC demo. (incl. the last Tomb Raider)

SageSavage
18th Aug 2009, 21:00
Arkham Asylum had a demo, too.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Aug 2009, 21:03
Tragic.

You remind me of the people who praise Invisible War in its own merit (which is still open to debate), while accepting its inferiority to DX1. As long as a game has Deus Ex in its name, people WILL compare it with Deus Ex. Being "still an awesome game" is no excuse if DX3 can't continue and expand what DX accomplished almost a decade ago..

Hey, if you're going to quote me replying to someone else's post, at least have the decency to do so correctly. :rasp:

I only responded to the latter part of bloodwolf's post, ie. "It's gonna take a miracle to match the original Deus Ex, but that doesn't mean it can't be an awesome game in it's own right." To which I replied "This is exactly how I look at it." When read in context, you will see that I merely confirm that DX1 was/is an amazing game, and acknowledge that DX3 could also be a great game. Nothing tragic about that as far as I am concerned.

Indeed. Good things only, please! Even if you disagree with someone's point, post ONLY good things! There are over 9,000 argument and whining threads!

So very true. :D

3nails4you
18th Aug 2009, 21:31

Stephane D'Astous, I think you mean.

teknikal-vision
22nd Aug 2009, 16:45
Good thread. I'm always so pessimistic. Which is bad.
Here is go:

DX3 MIRRORING DX1: So far I see they are really trying to bring back the experience of DX1.
AJ's character design - brilliant. I love the way his appearance mirrors JC and Paul. It's a nice prophetic touch; the lead characters in the series are visually linked (apart from Alex D....bleh... but Invisible War isn't actually DX2 now is it? *smirk*)
Montreal - very cool. Can't wait to walk around there. I keep looking at photos of Montreal and I get really excited. I LOVE the cathedrals all over the city especially. It's a nice nod to DX1's Paris. And the fact the developers are there means it's going to be pretty damn authentic. Reminds me of Ion Storm planning to have an Austin, Texas based level in DX1. :)
Shanghai - DX3's Hong Kong. :D YAY! More nods to the original.
Detroit - I was watching a program that studied in depth how Detroit is currently struggling financially, is crumbling socially and is terribly crime-ridden. How wonderfully cyberpunk. It seems it might be the "New York" of DX3. Bring it on.
Mirrored floors - yay for a literal mirroring of DX1! XD

OTHER THINGS:
Sheldon Pacotti consulting- Knows his stuff. What could be better?
Non-universal ammo - health packs may be gone, but at least we still have these resources to worry about using wisely.
Weapons - they look badass and believable. that's all I need.
Dialogue system - hell they may be taking away in some areas of the game design, but damn are they adding a whole lot more to this area! A good compromise. Even more complexity please!
Art Direction - it may be very differnt from DX1, but it's a more appropriate style than Invisible War's. I'd like to see EM redesign characters from DX1 based on the new art direction. That would be a cool experiment in maintaining consistency. Barontieri! Care to give us a re-envisioning of JC or Simons!? :D PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Aug 2009, 21:34
That makes it so much different, thanks for the explanation.

Indeed it does... and you are most welcome. :)

Ninjerk
22nd Aug 2009, 22:52
http://www.utdallas.edu/~otoole/face44x10.00+30.jpg
http://blog.brand-yourself.com/wp-content/uploads/fig_palm_of_hand.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Aug 2009, 08:52
Hehe... a new take on this phrase. I like it. :D

3nails4you
23rd Aug 2009, 14:26
Hehe... a new take on this phrase. I like it. :D

Good thing you said phrase...because before that, I had no iDEA what was going on.

Daedalus.
23rd Aug 2009, 19:54
A SDK Editor, and an on-line Multi-Player Game.

Spyhopping
23rd Aug 2009, 22:34
But it's just a big hand and a fa..........

aaah I see now.

Jerion
23rd Aug 2009, 23:50
Yeah, took me a minute too. :D

ArcR
24th Aug 2009, 00:21
Stephane D'Astous, I think you mean.

Yeah! That guy.

gamer0004
24th Aug 2009, 09:56
But it's just a big hand and a fa..........

aaah I see now.

I don't get it...

SageSavage
24th Aug 2009, 10:49
Hint: I am tempted to quote this thing in reply.

Spyhopping
24th Aug 2009, 11:08
It'll click eventually! And you'll do it for not getting it :P

SageSavage
24th Aug 2009, 11:24
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1886/kleiner1.jpg

gamer0004
24th Aug 2009, 11:30
Facepalm? Talk to the hand? That was my original guess, but it doesn't fit.

SageSavage
24th Aug 2009, 11:42
Both actually. The guy talked to the hand, trying to explain his affair with the other hand the other night but she just couldn't take his crap anymore so she smacked him on the head, girlystyle, and left. They just weren't made for each other.

She is currently in negotations for a remake of a popular comedy series of the 60ies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqTWtQbMmB4). He never fully recovered after their breakup.

Ninjerk
24th Aug 2009, 15:49
I think some of you are ascribing too great a meaning to a very simple combination of pictures... this is a sad day for the internet...

Jerion
24th Aug 2009, 16:59
^^ Welcome to the last 4 1/2 months of my life on here. :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Sep 2009, 08:07
^ Hehe, yes. :D

Spyhopping
4th Sep 2009, 14:50
I think some of you are ascribing too great a meaning to a very simple combination of pictures... this is a sad day for the internet...

That IS the internet! That's what it's for!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Sep 2009, 19:01
Hehe, I think he forgot for a moment there... :D

reject_666_6
5th Sep 2009, 19:58
I just realised what that image on the first page is supposed to depict. I've been to that Burger King dozens of times! :D