PDA

View Full Version : TR 9 Origin Reboot = Narrative Reboot?

John Carter
27th Jul 2009, 11:22
I hope that we don't get an entirely brand new Lara Croft out of this "new origin" story, if in fact that is what is going on.

Here's a little story about the TV show "Lost" from ComicCon, found here - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090727/en_nm/us_lost

I think this quote applies to a new TR game as well -

Yet fans shouldn't think that any sort of narrative reboot will invalidate everything that's already happened, "because that would be a real big cheat," said Jorge Garcia, who plays Hugo on the show.

Flintmelody
27th Jul 2009, 12:07
I like the comparison of TR to Lost. I think that is definately the way to go. If the new game invalidated things we know about Lara's past I would probably end up disliking it no matter how good the game is.

CD have to work around what is already there. Connecting things in the origin to story to past events from both Core and CD games would score massive points with me.

Rexie
27th Jul 2009, 13:37
OT:

Speaking of Lost, the series should end, it's been 5 seasons and they haven't escaped the island yet =/

oraclebop
27th Jul 2009, 13:56
Perhaps when they meant reboot, a reboot in the Tomb Raider method, which was just simply separated chapters, to an Open World idea.

Among the other ideas they've added and changed. :)

Flintmelody
27th Jul 2009, 16:06
OT:

Speaking of Lost, the series should end, it's been 5 seasons and they haven't escaped the island yet =/

Some of them did escape but then they went back again. Lost is supposed to be ending after 1 more season so the series will be ending soon.

jayjay119
27th Jul 2009, 17:22
I like the comparison of TR to Lost. I think that is definately the way to go. If the new game invalidated things we know about Lara's past I would probably end up disliking it no matter how good the game is.

CD have to work around what is already there. Connecting things in the origin to story to past events from both Core and CD games would score massive points with me.

100% agree. We need an overall continuity. I know Epic Lindstrom didn't like to nail things down but its really not that hard to do and its what the fans want.

Bampire
27th Jul 2009, 18:39
OT:

I've never found interest in the show, and you mentiioning there being 5 series.. It should end, that show has been going on for way too long. Along with House M.D. Sometimes things just have to end.

Katie_Fleming
27th Jul 2009, 18:43
I hope that we don't get an entirely brand new Lara Croft out of this "new origin" story, if in fact that is what is going on.

I already feel that happened with Legend/TRU - they re-wrote her biography (who does that) and changed so much. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it again. It's just disappointing when you've been a fan for so long.

If it's broken...

IvanaKC
27th Jul 2009, 20:21
comparing to Lost, I think TR needs something like that. I don't know if anyone here played Lost: Via Domus game. It's kinda like Uncharted and TR together + it has it's own atmosphere...