PDA

View Full Version : Detective Adam (Side Mission)

PlasmaSnake101
25th Jul 2009, 22:33
I was thinking about one of my favorite games of all time, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and thought back to a murder mystery mission. In Shadows of Amn you went to the Port I think and ran into a bunch of people crowded around a dead body(If memory serves correctly).

Long story short, there's a serial killer on the loose and you need to do some investigating to capture/kill him. You talk to a lot of people, collect evidence, and its an enjoyable experience.

You were rewarded depending on the amount of evidence you had before apprehending the culprit. The more probable cause, the more you received. One of my favorite missions in Shadows of Amn. And seeing as Deus Ex 3 will have large places with lots of people to talk to, these side missions seem ideal.

What do you folks think, better than coffee wars at least...

SageSavage
25th Jul 2009, 22:48
There's something like that in The Witcher, involving a character called "Raymond Maarloeve"...

Blade_hunter
25th Jul 2009, 23:03
Personally I think there should be civilians/important characters with their problems we can solve if we want
Everyone remember the rentons, some homeless persons, the mole people and such, now I won't say those missions needs subtlety or brutality, the spirit of deus ex allowed us to choose between the different available ways like, the diplomacy, shooting (with subchoices about killing and knocking), infiltrating, investigating and such ...

We have always the choice to do or not the side missions, etc ...
since there is a good bunch of working methods ...

gamer0004
26th Jul 2009, 09:58
Small side-missions are okay, but don't you think this would take a little bit too much time for an anti-terrorist agent trying to save the world?

Irate_Iguana
26th Jul 2009, 11:25
Small side-missions are okay, but don't you think this would take a little bit too much time for an anti-terrorist agent trying to save the world?

That depends on how they write the story. If you get the feeling that you are constantly hounded and need to move forward then it makes no sense. However in DX there were a lot of places where you didn't get the feeling that you had to rush. Like in Hell's Kitchen for the first time. Or during the UNATCO HQ sequences. Or in Hong Kong after you got the killswitch disabled. If they know how to pace the story there are plenty of opportunities to write in these side missions.

I'd like to see some of these optional side-missions to have an influence later on in the main story instead of having a direct pay off. As a crude example let's say that you speak to a guy playing cards in the bar. He suspects the owner of the establishment of watering the drinks. You investigate and report to him that it is indeed true. The guy thanks you and that is it. Later on when needing to infiltrate a company you come across the same guy. Turns out that he is a security guard. You need some info and since you helped him earlier. he's willing to help you.

Blade_hunter
26th Jul 2009, 13:00
I think the goal of a side mission is to help somebody, but nothing says that goal is related with the main mission or even doing good things, just say rub the bakery in Paris and give the zyme collected from the oven to the two dealers.
some side missions can
change the story
give a reward
turns you a good or a bad guy depending what people you help

Also if the game is long who would complain about a long and deep game ?
those missions are and stay optional, if you want to focus on main objectives this is your choice ;)

gamer0004
26th Jul 2009, 17:56
That depends on how they write the story. If you get the feeling that you are constantly hounded and need to move forward then it makes no sense. However in DX there were a lot of places where you didn't get the feeling that you had to rush. Like in Hell's Kitchen for the first time. Or during the UNATCO HQ sequences. Or in Hong Kong after you got the killswitch disabled. If they know how to pace the story there are plenty of opportunities to write in these side missions.

I'd like to see some of these optional side-missions to have an influence later on in the main story instead of having a direct pay off. As a crude example let's say that you speak to a guy playing cards in the bar. He suspects the owner of the establishment of watering the drinks. You investigate and report to him that it is indeed true. The guy thanks you and that is it. Later on when needing to infiltrate a company you come across the same guy. Turns out that he is a security guard. You need some info and since you helped him earlier. he's willing to help you.

You are right, it all depends on how they do it. But if they do it wrong the negative effects are far worse than the positive effects if they get it right.

Also, side-missions affecting the player later on is a good idea - but it shouldn't happen too often.

Blade_hunter
26th Jul 2009, 18:24
Depends dou you mean you doesn't want too much optional missions and more missions in the main line or is it something I missed ?

gamer0004
26th Jul 2009, 20:54
No, he gave the example of meeting some guy you helped out earlier who in turn can help you - that's great, but that shouldn't happen too often, because not every person you help can do something in turn for you, nor would you meet all of them later on. The odds of that happening are too small.

Irate_Iguana
27th Jul 2009, 08:44
Also, side-missions affecting the player later on is a good idea - but it shouldn't happen too often.

True. I'm not suggesting that every side-mission be like this. What I'd like to see is a mix between missions with immediate rewards, postponed rewards and no rewards. I always find it odd that for even the slightest favor people are willing to part with large sums of money and/or weaponry.

Snake04
27th Jul 2009, 11:48
I want dx3 to be a long game if you do the side missions and if you dont it must still be long but not the same as doing the side missions