PDA

View Full Version : In YOUR OPINION What is the most negative action/inaction taken by EM with Deus Ex 3?

Gizmostuff
23rd Jul 2009, 14:43
I figured it'd be time to get some feedback on what are the top issues the community is having with Deus Ex 3 into one thread. Thus I created a poll to get some opinions on the negative aspects of the direction EM is taking DX3, among other things. Since the poll can be vague and give you only one option, please voice your opinion for greatest negative actions to least in the thread.

Thanks! :)

My opinion:

1.No news sucks! It's bad moral for a community and I think it's bad taste to come out with merch when you really haven't produced an actual game worth advertising for. Big fan of Deus Ex 1, don't get me wrong, but what reason is there for me to wear a Deus Ex 3 shirt or have a sticker on my car. If you'd of just put Deus Ex on the merch. I'd probably buy it.

2.Health regeneration. I think we all know why this is a bad thing. I don't need to go into it. There are several threads that voice my same opinion. It blows. I'm certainly not one of the people on the fence on this issue.

3.Cover system. Having just one or the other is just poor judgement. The object to creating a new game from the first is to improve upon the old one without destroying what made it great in the process. Shadowing worked but could be improved upon. The enemy in Deus Ex could be tricked quite easily just buy using shadowing when you damn well know in real life they'd see you. After it's dark, your pupils dilate and your ability to see in the dark improves.

4.EM Forum interactivity. I'd like to hear more from the dev team in general. Actual posts. I could care less if they are reading it. A 12 yr old could be reading this forum and not no what the hell we are talking about. Interaction with the community is a good thing. Blizzard Entertainment does this well with several devs interacting on the forums.

5.Graphics Engine. I would have rather them use a modified Unreal 3 engine for this game rather than use what they have in house just to save money. The Unreal engine worked quite well for the first DX game for its time. Warren Spector has quoted that he had gotten great support from Epic with the Unreal Ed.

6.3rd person. This doesn't bother so much that its a huge issue. I haven't seen it in game so I don't know how it will play out but it's also not a feature I'm exactly excited for if you even call it a feature.

7.Story-line. I'm actually quite happy with where this is going so long as it stays detailed like the original. Only the lack of more info about it which brings me to my first negative inaction.

8. I'm not in denial and I don't like where the game is going. I hope they READ this thread and READ it well. Because it seems that all they are capable to do.

Gizmostuff
23rd Jul 2009, 14:56
1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, and 6 in my opinion. Can you add a poll?

edit: Thanks.

Sorry I'm slow...Tried to put a lot of thought into this.

Just put your greatest neg action in the poll...Voice your other negative actions in the thread.

Thanks...

dark_angel_7
23rd Jul 2009, 15:07
Is it multiple choice because I want to vote for more than one option....

My votes are 1, 2 and 7.

Gizmostuff
23rd Jul 2009, 15:16
Is it multiple choice because I want to vote for more than one option....

My votes are 1, 2 and 7.

My main goal here was to see what the community as a whole is disliking the MOST in the poll and for EM to see that one top main issue we are not approving of as a community. I wanted to keep multi choice opinions in the thread though.

Ashpolt
23rd Jul 2009, 15:25
I voted health regen (surprise, surprise) but third person was a very close second for me. I'm not bothered by the cover system except for the fact that the game switches to third person when you engage it.

I didn't vote for anything related to the media blackout or forum inactivity because, while they're annoying, my primary concern is for the game itself. The game could come out in 2012 with no screenshots released and I wouldn't care, so long as it was a great game; on the other hand, we could be flooded with media for a crap game, which would be completely useless.

Of course, we've got the worst of both worlds: a media blackout on a game that is not sounding promising from what info we do have. But overall, I can forgive lack of information far more readily than I can forgive bad gameplay choices.

serrath
23rd Jul 2009, 15:36
You realize the game's far from ready? They wouldn't want to show you stuff that isn't polished and ready, or stuff that won't be in the final version. It's like advertising a movie. You don't advertise it until the movie's done, or at least well into post-production. They're the ones testing and programming the game, what on Earth makes you think you know the game better than them?

gamer0004
23rd Jul 2009, 15:58
Renaissance style, and since this affects the storyline (or, rather, the setting), I chose 4. I don't really care that much about auto-regen, but I'm sure that it is an example of very bad underlying DX3 game design. Also, it proved that EM lied to us (they said they were all fans of the original and yet chose health-regen. It doesn't even matter whether you think it's an acceptable choice or ruins the game, but if you had asked any fan of the original what could be improved about DX, NONE OF THEM (and I'm absolutely sure about that) would've said: this game needs health-regen, you know, searching for medkits was boring...), so now I certainly won't believe it if they say "this [feature/style/idea/gameplay mechanic] X is really [awesome/l44t/cool/rockin'/badass].

Gizmostuff
23rd Jul 2009, 16:30
You realize the game's far from ready? They wouldn't want to show you stuff that isn't polished and ready, or stuff that won't be in the final version. It's like advertising a movie. You don't advertise it until the movie's done, or at least well into post-production. They're the ones testing and programming the game, what on Earth makes you think you know the game better than them?

Yes, I do realize the game isn't finished. I also realize at a certain point, most game developers create the game, then after 3/4s of the games completion, they release news about the game in detail. After a while, they release more info about the game up to the point where they release the final version. EM didn't do this. They released the info first before alpha which was a huge mistake. Like you said, why release information about the game when clearly they haven't created a game in the first place. If you want to talk about hype, well I can tell you right now, this game doesn't need hype or new customers. Keep the customers you already have happy and the rest will follow.

You're right about one thing though, they are testing and programming the game. But we're the ones that are going to decide if we want to buy it or not. EM doesn't realize the hardcore fan base they have here. We've spent years playing the original. If what they have is all that they have created, perhaps they need to replay the original again for some inspiration.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jul 2009, 16:37
I voted for option 8. No, I'm not in denial either. :rasp:

I didn't expect much news at this point in time anyway. So not a problem.
Health Regen not top of my faves list, but seeing as we don't yet know how it will work in DX3, I'm not going to feel depressed or sorry for myself just yet.
No issues with the graphics engine, they said they are tweaking it to the point of being unrecognisable. So no point comparing it to TR.
Cannot comment on storyline as we don't really have one. Intro sounds fine though.
Is it 3rd person? Where have EM said that? I'm sure its 1st person.
Not too worried about the cover/shadow system at this current time - waiting to see how good it works for the game.
Rene does a splendid job, he's doing enough for me anyway which is checking in as regularly as he can. Let the rest of the dev team get on with their job, I say.

So yeah, I'm happy (less the 'extremely' bit) with what EM are doing. I'm sure they just want to keep things under wraps for legit reasons. I can't say I blame them... its a cruel, unforgiving world out there. You have to protect your baby. ;)

Blade_hunter
23rd Jul 2009, 18:12
I'm unhappy with :
The 3rd person autoswitch (by using cover system, biomods, and melee / unarmed combat)
Regenerating health and (the supposed regenerating BE)
No more loaclized damage √* la DX / SOF
There is no shadow stealth
3RD person cover system CRAP

For the rest, I'm happy with:
The inventory second what I know (nothing certain but it seems to be good)
The weapon customization with visible upgrades
Original weapons (I wanted original weapons like the first deus ex)
Mechanical upgrades with visible upgrades (if we have body awareness this will be AWESOME)

The unknown
The graphics seems to be good but I'm not sure that renaissance style fits with a futuristic game, except if we have some old building like in Paris for example ....
The supposed minigames used for hacking (strategy game, I don't expect a warcraft like somebody expect but something really simple ...)
The interactivity I hope this is a great part of the game since most consoles, computers and decorations needs to be interactive to allow us to buy soda cans in a soda machine, find alternate paths, hack and such ....
The skill system that seems to upgrade weapons and mech mods
Possibility to have More than one kind of ammo per weapon

For the rest I don't remember everything I have to say but I said what came in mind
I choose 3rd person by the fact it's that autoswitch I don't want and most persons will vote for health regen since we haven't multiple choices I choose that option ...

AaronJ
23rd Jul 2009, 18:17

Health Regen not top of my faves list, but seeing as we don't yet know how it will work in DX3, I'm not going to feel depressed or sorry for myself just yet.
No issues with the graphics engine, they said they are tweaking it to the point of being unrecognisable. So no point comparing it to TR.
Cannot comment on storyline as we don't really have one. Intro sounds fine though.
Not too worried about the cover/shadow system at this current time - waiting to see how good it works for the game.
Rene does a splendid job, he's doing enough for me anyway which is checking in as regularly as he can. Let the rest of the dev team get on with their job, I say.

So yeah, I'm happy (less the 'extremely' bit) with what EM are doing. I'm sure they just want to keep things under wraps for legit reasons. I can't say I blame them... its a cruel, unforgiving world out there. You have to protect your baby. ;)

Your opinion would be different if you weren't given the title of moderator, as would the rest of the moderator teams opinions.

InGroove2
23rd Jul 2009, 18:26
Your opinion would be different if you weren't given the title of moderator, as would the rest of the moderator teams opinions.

so the only valid moderator opinion is a negative one?

i'm not voting in this because of the blatant slant towards criticism. i mean let's face it, the reason why lambasting things is so popular is that the helps the audience feel that they have valuable opinions and are therefore worth something in the social arena... if people just said "i think this is gret, there' nothing wrong with it" they'd be called communists, or nazis, or robots.. whatever.... it's cleche and boring.

Jerion
23rd Jul 2009, 18:41

Wow, that just made my day.

lumpi
23rd Jul 2009, 18:50
I guess health regen is stealing a lot of votes from "Shadows/Cover System (Why can't we have both?)".

Sure, the regen discussion is more prominent, but seriously, a Deus Ex game where you can't hide in the shadows? What. The. ****?

gamer0004
23rd Jul 2009, 19:08
I guess health regen is stealing a lot of votes from "Shadows/Cover System (Why can't we have both?)".

Sure, the regen discussion is more prominent, but seriously, a Deus Ex game where you can't hide in the shadows? What. The. ****?

It's uni-ammo all over again. It's not like it ruined IW for me, but it is a very clear and factual example of a much worse problem (dumbing down, a setting that was too unfamiliar, bad or at least unconvincing storyline - these things all require good argumentation to "prove" why DXIW "sucks", whereas uni-ammo doesn't).
Also, you know the reason why they implemented uni-ammo? Because "you would not be forced to use another weapon or to hunt for ammunition when a preferred weapon was empty" (quote=wikipedia).
That's almost exactly the same reason EM gave us for health-regen.

AaronJ
23rd Jul 2009, 19:36

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND THE DETAILS OF THIS. Someone needs to explain the stealth/shadow system to me completely.

a house
23rd Jul 2009, 19:39
I voted storyline because I don't think we'll see mechanical augs anytime soon. And they seem to play a huge role in this game.

InGroove2
23rd Jul 2009, 19:47
I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND THE DETAILS OF THIS. Someone needs to explain the stealth/shadow system to me completely.

i really don't think there are many details about it. though as far as i know, there's no "shadow" system, you can't hide in shadows, just line of sight. and they've added an optional system for stealth where the camera pulls out and the player will have a view of the surrounding area in a 3rd person style, if you prefer seeing it that way. otherwise, just as DX, you just hide behind stuff (though, again, the shadows don't come into play).

Blade_hunter
23rd Jul 2009, 20:19
Personally I think Mr K liked what he have seen, now that wouldn't mean the rest of the community have the same tastes as him ...
This is what I think, even My immortal could like the game second her opinion about certain things about the game.
Nobody is the reflect of the community, even the moderators.

I could try the game and say I don't liked it, this wouldn't mean the game is poor, that means I think the game is poor
also it depends what we expect of a new Deus Ex, I am one of the persons who expect a rich gameplay where possibilities and interactivity with the environment is huge and where each kind of "gameplay" (Action / Infiltration) represents a challenge in some way

Now is this what this community expect from deus ex ?
I don't think everybody would agree with this, some persons wants probably something else

dixieflatline
23rd Jul 2009, 21:04
I see health regen as a strong indicator that this game is going to be about 4/5ths shooter, 1/5 RPG.

I challenge anyone to try to think of 5 RPGs that have automatic, no penalty quick health regeneration (in other words, not like a healing cleric in Baldurs Gate or whatever.) I could only think of Diablo off of the top of my head-- and that isn't even an RPG, and it is a ARPG technically.

To me, I think a cover system plus quick health regen = the combat is going to be absolutely no fun because all challenge has been removed.

I'm really happy to be wrong, but that is how I see it as of now (and many of you feel the same way, judging from the poll.)

It's not specifically the fact that health regen is in the game, it is more notable because what this indicates. You could pull off a real RPG with quick auto health regen, but I just don't think that is the case here. Especially as the lead designer made Rainbow Six Las Vegas, I'm going to assume for the time being that the systems will be similar and the RPG-ness of Deus Ex 3 is going to be slight -- especially how there isn't even skills.

BlazeL
23rd Jul 2009, 22:09
My opinion:

1. Just as you said in OP.

2. Give it to me as an optional, active augmentation (needs activation, consumes energy). Anything else is unacceptable for me.

3.Line of sight stealth dominance is fine by me, but i also want a system, where darkness can help you to hide as well. (And in totally dark areas, you shouldn't even need to use LOS for successful stealth approaches.) And give me a usable leaning and normal general movements where i have total control over my character's body, i don't want to slip down on every edge of the BSP, etc... (In this regard IW makes me mad.)

4.Just as you said in OP.

5.As an Unreal fan and Unreal Engine modder, i badly miss UE3. (For me, every game made by using of UE has a special feel to it.)

6. I think the first game handled 3rd person well. There's no need to change that system IMO. You would be able to see your badass augmented character in a lot, meaningful way that doesn't ruin your immersion in the good ol' system, too: during critical conversations and in mirrors / on reflective surfaces.) [I admire the conversation system and the usage of mirrors in the first game. You know usually in films, intensive subjectivity (e.g. film where first person viewpoint is the only one) is not working at all. It just doesn't feel right. And i feel a bit similar in the case of narrative games. When i'm always in FP viewpoint, and not even able to see my character, it becomes a bit strange for me after some time. Like Crysis for example. But when the game brakes this for little moments, it is refreshing and helps to the immersion a lot i think. DX handled that problem pretty well i think. The 3rd viewpoint situations were seamless, because they were part of the basic rule-system of the game, so they happened regularly. But an optional 3rd viewpoint would be an immersion breaker in an FPS for me.]

7.I would prefer a completely new, but similar (to DX1) setting under the Deus Ex 3 title. You know, basically there are two types of (game) series: where the episodes belongs to the same series because of their their story is taking place in the same universe linked to one backstory, or where the games becomes parts of the series because of similarities in gameplay mechanics, setting, etc. I would prefer the second for DX3. I think it would cause less trouble for the franchise in general than a prequel. And personally, i hate prequels. [Not to mention, that with DX1 and IW, JC's story is pretty complete for me.)

Renaissance style, and since this affects the storyline (or, rather, the setting), I chose 4. I don't really care that much about auto-regen, but I'm sure that it is an example of very bad underlying DX3 game design. Also, it proved that EM lied to us (they said they were all fans of the original and yet chose health-regen. It doesn't even matter whether you think it's an acceptable choice or ruins the game, but if you had asked any fan of the original what could be improved about DX, NONE OF THEM (and I'm absolutely sure about that) would've said: this game needs health-regen, you know, searching for medkits was boring...), so now I certainly won't believe it if they say "this [feature/style/idea/gameplay mechanic] X is really [awesome/l44t/cool/rockin'/badass].

Seconded.

[And personally, i hate renaissance style, too.]

AaronJ
24th Jul 2009, 01:03
there's no "shadow" system, you can't hide in shadows, just line of sight.

WHAT!

Thats the stupidest ******* thing I've ever heard. Why are people still talking about the health? This is actually a crippling game flaw!

NOW I'm worried.

Blade_hunter
24th Jul 2009, 01:17
Yeah there is no shadow stealth here, I think I should complete my post since I wanted to add some thievish content in the game ...

lumpi
24th Jul 2009, 01:29
Why are people still talking about the health? This is actually a crippling game flaw!

I know, right?

And the sad thing is: There's been so much other controversial information on DX3 game mechanics, I almost forgot about this. Regen or shadowless stealth... I can't pick which is more worrying. 3rd person cover or the lack of a skill system is harmless compared to that.

They could have announced anything, but chose those two facts as some of the most important concrete gameplay information to be released on Deus Ex 3. The first thing the world heard of the eagerly awaited game was: You will not be able to hide in the shadows anymore and the main character will heal automatically. Now tell me that doesn't give you a hint on what direction this game is gonna go...

PS: The funny part is, that whoever is designing this, must have noticed how unified ammo has become a symbol of hatered against DX:IW, so we were assured it won't be in the game. As if anyone cared at that point, lol

gamer0004
24th Jul 2009, 06:26
More than one kind of ammo per weapon

I'm sorry, but they said there would be only one type of ammo per weapon, so unless they changed it that's one thing less to be happy about.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jul 2009, 07:54

You are very much mistaken... this is such a ridiculous statement to make. When I give my opinion, that is what it is, my opinion - as the thread title invites. No need to dismiss it as nonsense just because I wear a mod badge. When I express my opinion it is as a person (yes, I really am a person), NOT as a moderator. I'm only in mod-mode when I perform board duties. It isn't like I'm going to "lose my job" for expressing my honest thoughts and be stripped off a paycheck. Goodness, lighten up please and play fair.

Now that I've tried to explain the reasons why my opinion is a valid one, perhaps you could elaborate and let me know exactly how it would be different if I wasn't a moderator? Just curious... ;)

Irate_Iguana
24th Jul 2009, 08:01
My vote went to the health regen. I don't like it as a gameplay mechanic and I think that it points towards a fundamentally flawed design process.

As a gameplay mechanic it bothers me on a practical level and from a story standpoint. I find it hard to rationalize the rapid healing provided and that distracts from the game. Now in a cyberpunk game it makes more sense than in CoD provided that they bother to come up with an accurate in-universe explanation for the mechanic. On a practical level it means having to wait around a lot after a battle to heal up or being unprepared should you run into enemies. That is a lot of time just spend not playing the game. If the regen is fast enough to not be a hindrance in that regard then the combat is trivialized and becomes too easy. No matter how you play the game this mechanic will be noticeable. It also hints at the lack of bodypart specific damage and consequences to having a bodypart damaged.

It also points to a design process that seeks to please the lowest common denominator. Especially if you take into account the justification given for it. It is being introduced to not inconvenience the player. There are no consequences to acting without thinking. Everything should be easy. This leads to the removal of skills, the simplification of the stealth system, the lack of ammo-choices, the mini-games and the seemingly rigid function of the mech augs. It doesn't point to a game that will stimulate the player to think about the options he has available and plan accordingly. It points to a game full of hand-holding and lack of consequences for your choices.

The lack of skills, the stealth system, the mini-games and the lack of ammo-choices also annoy me. These things directly impact my gameplay in a negative way but I rank them below the health-regen because I see them more as a logical extension of the kind of design philosophy behind the regen.

Third-person during some of the actions is not something I'm particularly annoyed with depending on how easily the camera switches and how long it takes me out of the action. I would prefer it if they kept third person restricted to conversations and the actual gameplay in a single perspective. That said it is something that I can live with.

The storyline doesn't bother me in the slightest so far. The tiny amount I have heard so far points to a decent hook to get a conspiracy started.

The engine doesn't bother me. I looked at some of the screenshots for TRU and it looked decent enough. At least it seems to avoid the plastic look that a lot of the Unreal engine games have had. I really dislike that. It does bother me that the shadow system in the TRU engine is pretty crappy. At least if I understand K^2 correctly.

Of course the entire media black-out both on and off the forum is annoying. At least be honest to your fanbase about what is going on. Give us a reason for why things are going the way they are.

I could only think of Diablo off of the top of my head

Actually in Diablo II you need an item to grant you regen. You don't have it naturally.

Blade_hunter
24th Jul 2009, 08:28
I'm sorry, but they said there would be only one type of ammo per weapon, so unless they changed it that's one thing less to be happy about.

Ah but second the concept art the assault rifle have 3 cartridges now if you say so ...
but if that's not the case, this pretty much confirm the snowblind 2 then, I don't know why they want to call that game Deus Ex instead of Snowblind because it appears to be snowblind and not deus ex :/

Red
24th Jul 2009, 11:16
To people saying that combat will be so easy and simple, I say, you ignorant fools!

The health-regen and chest-high wall precedens points to one thing: enemies being able to gouge your left eyeball the moment you pop out of cover from over 800m. Which leads to loading the last "checkpoint" in game since I presume there won't be quicksaveload option.

If they really resort to such a thing to not to trivialize combat... Holy Shayte, I'm even more worried about the game. Nevermind the absence of shadow stealth, think of this kind of hindrance! :|

Jima B
24th Jul 2009, 11:41
Well, if I could vote all I would - but regenerating health is the major of the evils.

Please Eidos, I'm sorry, I never meant to get angry, give me universal ammo back, Please :(

Malah
24th Jul 2009, 12:45
Everything I have heard so far sounds like perfection, so I voted for more of the same.

(Eidos doods, if you're reading this, more pls. Thanks.)

ArcR
24th Jul 2009, 13:21
I always felt like I was cheating when I used shadows to hide right in front of people (30 meters away).

gamer0004
24th Jul 2009, 15:07
Ah but second the concept art the assault rifle have 3 cartridges now if you say so ...
but if that's not the case, this pretty much confirm the snowblind 2 then, I don't know why they want to call that game Deus Ex instead of Snowblind because it appears to be snowblind and not deus ex :/

Yeah, I wondered about that... Then again, it's concept art, so they might be concepts of bullets, or just there because they look good.

lumpi
24th Jul 2009, 21:11
I always felt like I was cheating when I used shadows to hide right in front of people (30 meters away).

So, instead of fixing it, they decided to cut the feature completely. Brilliant.

Blade_hunter
25th Jul 2009, 19:09
The thing I find very strange in therm of bad decision is the lack of news instead of some important features of the game that is the most voted ...

SageSavage
25th Jul 2009, 19:55
I voted it because I am not yet convinced that these features really don't work because there are too many possible ways to implement them. To judge game elements I need more information (aka news), that really is the basis for all judgements but they just keep us waiting for months...

Edit: Yes, I am one of those "on the fence-douches"...

Blade_hunter
25th Jul 2009, 22:08
Yes but somethings seems to be clearly announced, now that is your opinion and, yes there is many ways to implement some elements but I got a big doubt about the specificity of their implementation (the fact they will do that differently than other games), for most of them (the combo cover system + health regen for example) there is a strong chance to be the classical way, now there some persons who appreciate it and some others not ...
I think they are pretty much confirmed, now it's not certain at 100% just an annoucement, they can change their plans or keep their trajectory ... :scratch:

SageSavage
25th Jul 2009, 22:19
Note that I just picked the option that concerns me the most. It doesn't mean that I have nothing against 3rd Person or the health management as it was communicated so far. The thing is that after such a long black out don't even know if this old info is still valid.

Icarus AI
25th Jul 2009, 23:20
Well if I have understood correctly (I am not sure at all. I think I read it from these forums and it has been ages since the first previews so I can't honestly remember) the skill system has been removed and that is even bigger thing for me than the health regen which is a close second. Renaissance style and stealth also worries me but I think there is a chance that they might not be as bad as I think.

Who in their right mind could extremely happy with EM? I think it is a miracle that I am even this interested about this game anymore. There's no news, allmost no interaction with devs, no nothing... We have no idea what's going on.

Blade_hunter
25th Jul 2009, 23:38
I think if there is some fans over there it can be for two main reasons
Fans who are happy/satisfied with the whole news
Fans who aren't happy with the news with the hope of changes about them

Now I can get wrong but it appears to be something like that ...

Necros
26th Jul 2009, 06:28
1.No news sucks!
True, but I can wait. It's annoying but I have (some) patience left.

2.Health regeneration. I think we all know why this is a bad thing. I don't need to go into it. There are several threads that voice my same opinion. It blows. I'm certainly not one of the people on the fence on this issue.
I'm not sure it will be bad but out of all the things we know so far, this seems to be the worst idea. Though I have to say that it could work. Yeah, we loose some gameplay depth but if everything else will be good, I can accept it. :) - I've voted for this one.

3.Cover system. Having just one or the other is just poor judgement.
I think René or Mr. K confirmed that shadow stealth is in, to some extent.

4.EM Forum interactivity. I'd like to hear more from the dev team in general. Actual posts. I could care less if they are reading it.
I think it's very important and a good thing that they are reading the forums. Interaction is a good thing, I agree but not all of the devs are doing it and René shares everything he can. I'm sure we'll have Q&As and whatnot later when the team can talk.

5.Graphics Engine. I would have rather them use a modified Unreal 3 engine for this game rather than use what they have in house just to save money. The Unreal engine worked quite well for the first DX game for its time. Warren Spector has quoted that he had gotten great support from Epic with the Unreal Ed.
Well, most UE3 games don't look so great. A few of them do but they have some issues too. Even GoW and UT3 on the PC had problems and those were developed by Epic themselves. I think they made the right choice to use CD's engine. They will have much more help and yes, it is cheaper, which is an important thing these days. And the pictures so far look good, I think and hope this engine will work well.

6.3rd person. This doesn't bother so much that its a huge issue.
Same here, I don't mind it either.

7.Story-line. I'm actually quite happy with where this is going so long as it stays detailed like the original.
I couldn't agree more. :)

8. I'm not in denial and I don't like where the game is going.
Actually, at this point I like EM's direction.

Igoe
26th Jul 2009, 08:19
I respect EMs engine choice whole heartedly, I am fully behind them in their stealth system, and I welcome the third person camera events to better connect the player to what their choices have created.

I think EM is doing something new here- actively working with consumers in a forum environment. Just as Blizzard is using die-hard Starcraft fans to shape and mold choices in Starcraft II, EM is using forum based communication to gather input on DX3. They have already laid down the core of the project and as such comments on health regen and stealth mechanics will fall on deaf ears.

I voted for the health regen simply because it is the only choice I do not fully agree with. It does not suit a Deus Ex style game in my opinion, and had I the power, I would speak to the powers that be to see to its removal.

I am not, however, a member of the EM team and will not in any way shape or form directly contribute to Deus Ex 3 in any way.

Criticizing EM will neither attract a response from a Mod, nor warrant one.

I would suggest instead that people post "What they would add to Deux Ex 3, given the choice." This of course comes with the caveat of "You cannot change the health system, nor the stealth."

So here is what i would add. In an interview with Warren Spector and Harvey Smith about DX and DX:IW Harvey stated that a key mistake in DX was the introduction of new characters late in the story. He then went on to say they attempted to remedy this with a core group of individuals in IW.

While it goes without saying a decision in DX:IW was inherently incorrect, this idea above all else irks me. A core group of characters can make a player feel less confused and more connected, but it comes with a high price. In most mystery story scenarios the killer will be introduced early on, along with the protagonists. This becomes boring as the viewer eventually is presented with an ABCD choice for who the criminal is.

Medical mystery stories cleverly circumvent this misgiving by allowing new symptoms to occur and widen the final selection of culprit diseases. I feel this approach benefits Deus Ex because if the player is presented with the villian early in the game a majority of the element of surprise is removed.

We have seen the backstab scenario many times. It is old and rarely unexpected. It may be a small world, but having knowledge of an ultimate malefactor at the start of a game rarely lends itself to a complex story.

I would ensure that DX3 has a plethora of characters (and a small core group) that is continually added to the story as it progresses. This will ensure that no matter what kind of idea a player has about the alignment of certain NPCs, it can always be altered and changed as new data is added. The endgame will therefore be obscured by facts the player simply does not have and is not a matter of "which NPC will be the final boss."

That is my one thing I would ensure in DX3, given the choice. What are yours?

gamer0004
26th Jul 2009, 10:08
I respect EMs engine choice whole heartedly, I am fully behind them in their stealth system, and I welcome the third person camera events to better connect the player to what their choices have created.

Graphically it's fine, but no shadow stealth sucks. Also, I don't think your choice really matter if you're not immersed, and third person doesn't help for immersion.

I think EM is doing something new here- actively working with consumers in a forum environment. Just as Blizzard is using die-hard Starcraft fans to shape and mold choices in Starcraft II, EM is using forum based communication to gather input on DX3. They have already laid down the core of the project and as such comments on health regen and stealth mechanics will fall on deaf ears.

Many developers have been doing this, even Ion Storm.

@Fox: as to health-regen, you do know they announced it would be similar to the system used in CoD (i.e. not like STALKER or other games with partial auto-heal).

SageSavage
26th Jul 2009, 10:37
@Fox: as to health-regen, you do know they announced it would be similar to the system used in CoD (i.e. not like STALKER or other games with partial auto-heal).

No, I am not aware of such an announcement - unless I've missed something, this is just what most people fear, how it will turn out - including me.

Irate_Iguana
26th Jul 2009, 11:36
...actively working with consumers in a forum environment...EM is using forum based communication to gather input on DX3.

Are we on the same forum? We haven't once been asked for input on anything. All the critique we did give hasn't even been acknowledged let alone used. Information coming from EM has been severely lacking. All information has been released to press first and sometimes not even mentioned on this forum. Currently they are on a total media black-out. I'm curious as to how you came to this viewpoint.

Red
26th Jul 2009, 11:37
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198546

What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.

gamer0004
26th Jul 2009, 12:21

And they confirmed this in a Belgian mag as well.

Blade_hunter
26th Jul 2009, 13:06
The stealth was announced as a line on sight system by René

Deus Ex was line on sight + shadows
Deus Ex 3 loose the shadow parameter

Stealth in DX3 is based on light and sound; shadows are no longer used as the primary stealth element - it will be line-of-sight and sound propagation. You can hide anywhere you see fit as long as you're hidden by an obstacle and don't produce too much noise.

SageSavage
26th Jul 2009, 13:38

Oh, ok - I forgot about that but that may be because in the somewhat newer DX3-FAQs (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841) it says:

"What triggers the healing and how quickly health is replenished are still being tweaked, but it’s not like CoD4 where the very second you stop getting shot you start to cure. And as said above, combat is effectively optional; it’s only one of four approaches to the world. Somebody who only sticks to the combative side of DX3 will enjoy a nice shooter, but will miss out on a huge amount of the game, just like anybody who played DX 1 by sticking exclusively to the main path and never went exploring, missed out on the world around them."

Now I am not sure if that came from Rene or if it 'only' was one of the mods speaking. This is exactly the problem here, there is not enough information for us and the bits we got are so fuzzy that we can't be sure about anything.

Blade_hunter
26th Jul 2009, 14:02
They got the informations from him, but the system and I'm pretty certain is like R6 vegas and the cover system is like that game. now they say it's not like Cod4 but R6vegas isn't much different

dark_angel_7
26th Jul 2009, 14:08
Oh crap realised I forgot to vote last time round :D Anyway I voted now.

@Bladehunter - If this is the way stealth will be in DX3 then I personally don't see what the problem is. Hide anywhere you see fit, make as little noise as possible, don't let the enemy see you. Sounds stealthy and fine to me. :)

Icarus AI
26th Jul 2009, 16:29

What? This is one of the worst interactions with fans I have seen. Visit the Dragon Age forums for instance you see that half the topics contain dev posts made by different writers, programmers and etc and they are actually talking about the game (I know DA is far closer to release than Deus Ex and can be more open about it but still). Yeah sure Rene is here and that's better than nothing but even he is quite inactive and he doesn't really have anything to do with developing the game.

Unless you think forums are a new invention I don't see what you base your opinion on.

serrath
26th Jul 2009, 17:03

Please make me a moderator so that I may love this game fully and accept it as it is!

lumpi
26th Jul 2009, 17:15
@Bladehunter - If this is the way stealth will be in DX3 then I personally don't see what the problem is. Hide anywhere you see fit, make as little noise as possible, don't let the enemy see you. Sounds stealthy and fine to me. :)

I think you missed the part where they removed one of the most essential parts of stealth from the first game(s) for no apparent reason.

gamer0004
26th Jul 2009, 17:59
Oh, ok - I forgot about that but that may be because in the somewhat newer DX3-FAQs (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841) it says:

Now I am not sure if that came from Rene or if it 'only' was one of the mods speaking. This is exactly the problem here, there is not enough information for us and the bits we got are so fuzzy that we can't be sure about anything.

Not exactly the same, but reading this (and combining other statements of EM compared to the facts later on) I think this probably means that you have to be behind cover for sseveral seconds before healing (mind you, they didn't say it was the same as the CoD healing, just very similar).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2009, 18:11

Everything in the FAQs are approved/official statements via Rene. The FAQs contain no personal opinions or information from any mods here. I just helped to type it up for you guys, and posted it... guess that may cause some confusion. But, yeah, its all official and correct (at time of posting). :)

Please make me a moderator so that I may love this game fully and accept it as it is!

Hehe. :D

Blade_hunter
26th Jul 2009, 18:26
I'm sure he accept the game as it is actually ;) for him combat √* la R6 vegas is an improvement :(

serrath
27th Jul 2009, 02:20
I'm sure he accept the game as it is actually ;) for him combat √* la R6 vegas is an improvement :(

Well it beats the hell out of not shooting anything until you've got a ton of accuracy mods, at which point it becomes Doom. (Combat-speaking, not talking about the rest of the game.) I liked the combat in R6 Vegas 2.

So am I a mod now? Can I be blue? I wanna love GoW3-- er DX3, and overlook the development's oversights!

No. Have a nice day!

Hahahah, rub it in with your power mods! But one day I will get to play the game too!

Necros
27th Jul 2009, 09:09
About shadows, from Mr. K or René (can't remember who exactly):

There are shadows. They are involved, but are not the main technical element in stealth. If anything stealth has gotten even more complex than DX 1.
I think that sounds good.

lumpi
27th Jul 2009, 09:39
There are shadows. They are involved, but are not the main technical element in stealth. If anything stealth has gotten even more complex than DX 1.

"involved"... what does that mean? Now, can you hide in shadows or not? Is enemy AI smart enough to distinguish between a player standing in broad daylight and one hiding in a dark, unlit corner?

Sometimes I feel like this whole discussion is one huge communications fail. Did they mean that hiding in shadows is just done more realistically? As in: If someone is standing right in front of you, they might see you despite hiding in the shadows but if you're further away it works effectively? Are enemies smart enough to recognize silhouettes, such as a dark, shady figure hiding in front of a brighter wall?

Oh man. If it was really that way, there would be no reason not to clarify the statement and make us all happy. That's why it's hard to believe that nobody at EM would want to do that, IF there was proper shadow stealth.

Gizmostuff
27th Jul 2009, 12:46

I do. Deus Ex has a much bigger fan base. Which brings us to how many copies it sells. Snowblind - Deus Ex...It's all the same to them...

To people saying that combat will be so easy and simple, I say, you ignorant fools!

I don't recall anyone saying combat would be easy. Only the appearance of, because there isn't that much information about the game go on to begin with. We can only assume. The only ignorant person I see here is you.

Who in their right mind could extremely happy with EM? I think it is a miracle that I am even this interested about this game anymore. There's no news, allmost no interaction with devs, no nothing... We have no idea what's going on.

Agreed! What angers me is there isn't a reason either. Just a lot of sorries as IOOI has stated in another thread :)

True, but I can wait. It's annoying but I have (some) patience left.

You have a lot of patience left if you can deal with the fact that they haven't given us anything in months.

I think René or Mr. K confirmed that shadow stealth is in, to some extent.

Do you have a link - or can you confirm this? To what extent? Are shadows in the game but we can't use them as a form of stealth? Give me a break!

I think it's very important and a good thing that they are reading the forums. Interaction is a good thing, I agree but not all of the devs are doing it and René shares everything he can. I'm sure we'll have Q&As and whatnot later when the team can talk.

Reading the forums at this time is pointless if they aren't going to give us new info about the game. They are just wasting their time if they are indeed actually reading our posts. They've already seen what we don't like about the game thus far. How about posting some new stuff so that they can get feedback on, or perhaps reassure us about our concerns on the things we've been talking out for the last several months.

Actually, at this point I like EM's direction.

Really? Well, why did you vote for health regen if you're so happy with their direction?

There's nothing new about it. They have nothing in common with Blizzard in terms of game development nor interaction with it's consumers. Blizzard has outside beta testers already testing SC2. They have Blizzcon where fans can try the game out and give professional suggestions. They have a great forum to which the devs have a Q & A and they are actually at batch number 51. And also have the in game battle report.

EM has released a teaser trailer and unorganized/undetailed magazine article that you couldn't even buy in the U.S.

InGroove2
27th Jul 2009, 15:13
"involved"... what does that mean? Now, can you hide in shadows or not? Is enemy AI smart enough to distinguish between a player standing in broad daylight and one hiding in a dark, unlit corner?

Sometimes I feel like this whole discussion is one huge communications fail. Did they mean that hiding in shadows is just done more realistically? As in: If someone is standing right in front of you, they might see you despite hiding in the shadows but if you're further away it works effectively? Are enemies smart enough to recognize silhouettes, such as a dark, shady figure hiding in front of a brighter wall?

Oh man. If it was really that way, there would be no reason not to clarify the statement and make us all happy. That's why it's hard to believe that nobody at EM would want to do that, IF there was proper shadow stealth.

what that means is OBVIOUS. it means he can't really say exactly what it is... and using a word like involved seems to me to mean that it's exactly as cut and dry as you like it to be... i can't imagine they'd just say "hey, you're in the shadows, so you can't be seen" just like that. it could be more subtle than that.

what i can't uinderstand is why some of you folks have such a hard time excepting the obvious and simple facts here. EM is working on the game, confirmed, EM has nothing to say at the moment and are keeping tight, part of that had to do with the merger (confirmed in a reply to one of my posts somewhere). I mean, yoiu can't blame EM for your impatience... you're not going to get the game any sooner if you have info now or not, and it's not like they're gonna release it next month without a media run up.

Rene has said a million times, without any tears, "JUST SIT TIGHT". it's not a communications fail, it's non-communication. we're in a world recession, there was a merger, the original plans for the game (ie from the article) have been lambasted, primarily.... there's no rule book that a developer should or should not do certain things to appease the fans duing the development period. it's a weird time and they're making a weird game, let's face, DX is weird and hard to pin down...

I personally hope their stance on communication is indicitave of EM having some balls as a developer do things they way they see fit... i've always been against the community having too much pull. none of the games i really really like were products of the community having a big impact.... (don't give me your stories of games taht have been great because of the community... i'm talking about the games that I like, specificially)

Blade_hunter
27th Jul 2009, 15:22
Arf, this confirm my sadness about the upcoming game
Snowblind is far from Deus Ex even if they have some common points it doesn't have this opened gameplay that Deus Ex have

SemiAnonymous
27th Jul 2009, 17:33
1 and 2 are my main gripes, but specifically regen. I can live with a lack of news, hell, I still miss the days when you could walk into a store and your favorite series would have a new game out that you didn't know existed. Not always, but there are times. But not having information while knowing that a potentially game ruining flaw exists?

Its terrible. And its pretty hard too, just sitting and waiting. Sooner or later they will have to crack and give us something.

Blade_hunter
27th Jul 2009, 18:01
Personally the moderators FAQ thread have a sufficient amount of informations about the game I think
The Industry has a whole has grown up ;)

lumpi
28th Jul 2009, 10:52
I wouldn't mind EM simply not releasing any info. There are plenty of games that have been developed under a cloud of secrecy for years and turned out to be pretty good.

It's just that they have gone public.

There were interviews, previews... Most is archived on this site, have another look, there's a heap of information. We got a whole wave of PR material. And I'm pretty sure nobody expected the world to stay quiet from that. We're the most obvious reaction to these previews. And, unfortunately, it's likely less positive than expected.

Be happy if you are able to ignore that information. Be happy if you don't care that much about the direction of a sequel to one of the last great FPS/RPG hybrids ever made. I envy you.

I personally hope their stance on communication is indicitave of EM having some balls as a developer do things they way they see fit... i've always been against the community having too much pull. none of the games i really really like were products of the community having a big impact.... (don't give me your stories of games taht have been great because of the community... i'm talking about the games that I like, specificially)

I agree. There are many games that have been destroyed because of the community (Counter Strike anyone?).

The weird thing about DX3 is: They already did all the things to appeal to "the community" (as in: the majority of players on this planet). Every aspect of gameplay seems to be streamlined and simplified towards the lowest common denominator. All that is left is a marketable hull of "meaningful choices" that seem to consist of a beautifully animated speech tree for conversations (fine!) and being able to avoid battles (fine, too!). But where is everything in between? Why is it cut just for the sake of it? And why are they so proud and open about cutting stuff? Shaking off people's criticism of unified ammo in DX:IW by assuring the world they won't repeat that mistake and then, in the same paragraph, announcing cutting healthkits and shadow-based stealth?

I don't see any "balls" in that. I see caving in to an arbitrary gaming trend, overshadowing any respect for the franchise they are working on. "Having balls" would be bringing back a proper RPG skill tree at a time when complex RPGs have apparently gone out of fashion.

No real estate crisis or corporate buy-out is an excuse for exploiting a franchise. And with game journalists being lured into favorable previews at huge party launch events and a majority of gamers buying happily whatever has a shiny box and dramatic cut-scenes, who is left to praise seemingly forgotten quality other than us pathetic fanboys? This forum, as loud as it is at the moment, likely has no impact on focus group appeal. We're not "demanding" anything... we're on our knees, begging.

InGroove2
28th Jul 2009, 14:49
I don't see any "balls" in that. I see caving in to an arbitrary gaming trend, overshadowing any respect for the franchise they are working on. "Having balls" would be bringing back a proper RPG skill tree at a time when complex RPGs have apparently gone out of fashion.

No real estate crisis or corporate buy-out is an excuse for exploiting a franchise. And with game journalists being lured into favorable previews at huge party launch events and a majority of gamers buying happily whatever has a shiny box and dramatic cut-scenes, who is left to praise seemingly forgotten quality other than us pathetic fanboys? This forum, as loud as it is at the moment, likely has no impact on focus group appeal. We're not "demanding" anything... we're on our knees, begging.

right, i wouodn't say there are any balls happening here... other than a possible dropping of one.... not that i will go so far as to say they have. but there are more things that i do not like vs like... but most of it has been kinda middle of the road.... which is not to say bad ot not as good... jsut kinda meaningless... for example... i really dont care too much about details like... the picture in the sewer.... that relaly does nothing for me, we've seen a million sewers, and that one is not special, it looks nice and all, but really... i don't care. now if the reason for us (adam) being in the sewer is great, then the sewer will be great, but now.. it's just a freaking sewer, give me something worthwhile to look at.

anyway, yeah, the RPG elements are a huge deal to me. ill take health regeneration all day if i can get some true depth to the character (obviously health regen affects that... but you get my point)... and some believeable depth to the NPC's... the voice acting IW is god aweful, alex sounds like a wishy-washy wuss, and realy, everytime you enter a bar or church and you ahve to disarm do you really have to ask tah stupid question "so you want me to blahblah blah" ever freaking time you go in. i mean IW blew that completely.

i thought the story elements were there, basically. but the only really exciting part of the game was liberty island and JC's sanctuary when you were able to get little snippets of the old DX music.

btw: i consider myself an optimist about DX3.

lumpi
28th Jul 2009, 16:21
I always liked the picture of the sewer...

Romeo
29th Jul 2009, 13:36

Nope, nope, you can't do that. The thread clearly states you have to be upset, or wrong. Pick again.

Honestly, I love how we all think we're so hard done by here. You want a sad story go to the Section 8 forums and you can check off everything on this list tenfold. Worse still was unlike trying something new and telling the community about it (Like Eidos), they specifically asked the community if they wanted this feature or not, and when the entire community screamed no they didn't, they said that the opinions didn't line up with their vision for the game. And a develloper in the forums isn't all that common. It is exceptionally rare that devs will take time off work, or continue to use the computers after work, just to appease a few people in forums. That's the whole point and purpose of them hiring community managers. Like MyImmortal, I too voted for option 8. I don't have any relevant details to lambaste any of the gameplay choices yet (Not to mention the fact I was never overly impressed by some of them to begin with), the devs have given out information (And I know as a fact the dev blog is well on it's way) and the lack of devellopers in here doesn't bother me in the slightest.

thomasaquinas
30th Jul 2009, 03:53
lol

Red
30th Jul 2009, 11:11
Acronym.

SageSavage
30th Jul 2009, 11:20
Spam.

capeutaine
30th Jul 2009, 14:00
I answered 'Auto health' because :

what they said about crawling in a level to find medkits isn't that fun... Okay, to the extreme : just put the player in a corridor with a gatling gun, and insta-health, this way, they will have fun...
I loved to explore every part of DX, just to find items, and because some people have worked to produce a really credible environment, and collecting items(including medkits, and medbots) was part of the fun for me.
As someone said before me, it can mean no localised damage

But ! i would also have voted for the cover system. A lot of people really loved the GoW system, and it is cool for an arcade game. I don't want DX3 to be that kind of game.

Alex Jacobson
30th Jul 2009, 19:54
I'd have to say that 2 and 5 are the only problems I have with the game thus far. That said a single nuclear bomb can do far more damage than thousands of conventional ones. Health regen and the third person bit are clearly to appeal to the greater number of gamers that are grunting GoW fanatics. It is not at all indicative of a mature game design, but of selling out to the mindless throngs of people that leave their pin number on a data pad in an alleyway. Really now, even JC Denton couldn't recover from bullet, burn, and rocket wounds without some medical attention or a regeneration augmentation that took a while and burned your BE. It's just stupid.

lumpi
30th Jul 2009, 23:28
I loved to explore every part of DX, just to find items, and because some people have worked to produce a really credible environment, and collecting items(including medkits, and medbots) was part of the fun for me.

That's a very nice way of putting it. I'm sure many (most?) people who can get into the kind of gameplay DX provides think similar.

Ninjerk
31st Jul 2009, 08:36
Section 8? Like, the housing assistance thing?

teknikal-vision
1st Aug 2009, 16:35
I had to go with cover system/shadow stealth. I'm sick of the cover system trend in games these days. A FPS doesn't need it. All you need is crouch and lean keys dammit!

But I almost chose the obvious health regen; I'm in doubt about it, but you never know... maybe it'll be good? *meekly* maybe...?
As for 3rd person view, if I don't have to use it I can live with it being there. But it does reinforce the inclusion of the cover system which annoys me more.

HamburgerBoy
2nd Aug 2009, 05:43
Regenerating health isn't an issue since the first two games were incredibly easy anyways. If the cover system is of the lean-up-against-a-wall-in-third-person-and-aim-your-crosshair-at-hapless-enemies variety I will not enjoy the game. That alone will ruin it.

EDIT: If the cover system simply means crouching behind crates then I have no problem there, though. Next largest issue then becomes storyline; the "Augmented not served here" or whatever bar signs and Van Gogh crap in the first trailer seemed extremely cliché.

El_Bel
2nd Aug 2009, 11:27
WHAT!

Thats the stupidest ******* thing I've ever heard. Why are people still talking about the health? This is actually a crippling game flaw!

NOW I'm worried.

Relax there!! This is not the worst thing!! The worst thing is that they are making Thief 4 too!!

No news:Good games advertise their futures. They cant keep a tiny secret about their new and exciting gameplay mechanics. What does that tell you about EM's game?

Red
2nd Aug 2009, 14:13
You spelled Thi4f incorrectly.

MyImmortal should be editing your post soon.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Aug 2009, 19:20
I don't think so, its Sunday and a day of rest. :p

ArcR
2nd Aug 2009, 20:50
I'm one of "them". One day at school durring a round of lunch time pool someone said "You have to play this game." I did. Well... almost ten years later I'm excite about the possibilities.

I hope for the same experience.

IOOI
2nd Aug 2009, 21:03
Right now I'd like some news but thats just some wishful thinking.

ArcR
2nd Aug 2009, 21:15
Actually I would like to know what phase they are in. alpha... beta etc.
IMDB says post prodution but who knows if that is true.

SageSavage
2nd Aug 2009, 21:50
Certainly not post-production, probably in very greenlighted full production.