Page 1080 of 1081 FirstFirst ... 8058098010301070107610771078107910801081 LastLast
Results 26,976 to 27,000 of 27008

Thread: The Humble Abode (Thread of Randomness)

Well it finally happened. Hell froze over, pigs grew wings, and horses can actually speak. The 13th Doctor who'll replace Peter Capaldi for the 11th season was revealed yesterday. And after 12 (primary) incarnations and over 50 years.... the shape shifting time traveler is now a woman!!

And as you'd expect the internet imploded, taking the spacetime continuum with it, lol I'm sure that #NotMyDoctor is something going around in the Twitter-sphere.

The thing is, this really isn't like other fictional gender swaps of other established characters, like Ghost Busters as one of the more controversial examples. Since the very lore/mythos of Doctor Who had established very near the beginning that this alien species has the ability to change bodies and personalities, which was incorporated as a way to allow different actors to portray the lead character without the need to try to keep a similar appearance, nor that they had to maintain a certain signature performance. Every actor was free to bring their own interpretation to the character, which has now happened 12 times.

And they did establish long ago that a Timelord has the ability to change genders during a regeneration. Though it's been exceptionally rare and has only been seen a couple of times on screen, recently with the Doctor's arch nemesis (among the Timelords) the Master. Of course it was expected this wouldn't happen with the lead character, not for a very very long time. Only in the last two incarnations has debate arisen if audiences would be ready for a gender regeneration. Is this political correctness pandering? Yeah it might very well be. But at least in this case it's doesn't result from a timeline alteration, nor superficially passing on a mantle to a different person taking on the name.

There is a very interesting point made by someone in the third video I'm posting here; making the Doctor female, and someone who visits all sorts of historical settings of Earth, there's a great deal of potential to explore the social standards of those geographical and time settings. But that TV is unlikely to give an honest depiction of history, opting to show an ideal concept of "how it should have been", which is how they wish it was instead of how it actually was. I hadn't even considered the possibilities of exploring history from a woman's vantage, and how disadvantaged that would be for our protagonist who as a man was more often taken seriously by those he dealt with.

But we should remember this would be no ordinary woman traveling to the various historical settings that had such low regard for women. And I don't mean her being an alien, which they wouldn't notice looking just like us. But rather her intelligence and advanced knowledge, giving her some kind of advantage the local women wouldn't have considering education wasn't something they had access to. So an advantage to offset the disadvantage of her gender.But now that this got me thinking about it, there are two settings I would love to see;

* A woman in Roman times, particularly if the Doctor gets captured and put into slavery (this actress btw is quite pretty).

* Visiting Salem during the witch hysteria. How this Doctor's intelligence and advance knowledge, where we see her advantage backfire as something that threatens the social status quo, something that "a woman shouldn't have", thus the men's conclusion that the Doctor is a witch, consequently taken to trial. And if you know your history those trials were rigged to conclude confirmation bias.

But we'll have to wait and see how this new direction treats historical inspection.

The official reveal trailer

And some reaction videos:

signature image

^It won't be long before feminists and SJWs start playing the "sexist" card as always, except this time, they may actually have a leg to stand on, who would've guessed?

Unlike the rumored gender swap of Green Ranger (Tommy, or should I say, Tomi?) in the planned Power Rangers sequel that most likely won't be happening now, I made a post about this a few pages back. Yeah, you better believe the feminaz!s were ready to wave their PC pitchforks on that one. Oh yes, because God forbid anyone have a problem with a beloved character (the most popular character from the show) being needlessly changed (and a gender swap literally changes everything about the character) in a movie reboot that pays lip service to fans of the TV show (I'll admit I was one of those kids back in the day, hehehe), 24 years of nostalgia be damned.

Ironically, the same people claiming to be open-minded now would be the first ones to complain if they gave Ellen Ripley a sex change in a hypothetical reboot of Alien or made Spider-Man's costume purple instead of red. Suddenly, they're not so color-blind and open-minded, anymore.
    Last edited by KManX89; 19th Jul 2017 at 03:04.
    signature image

OMG, I can't believe I've had to type this, but it happened. One of my favorite vocalists died today. I'm seriously holding back tears as I write this.

These two songs will always be a big part of my adolescent years:

R.I.P. Chester Bennington. Your amazing voice will be missed.
    Last edited by KManX89; 21st Jul 2017 at 02:30.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by AdobeArtist View Post
    Well it finally happened. Hell froze over, pigs grew wings, and horses can actually speak. The 13th Doctor who'll replace Peter Capaldi for the 11th season was revealed yesterday. And after 12 (primary) incarnations and over 50 years.... the shape shifting time traveler is now a woman!!
    Looking forward to it. I've never seen her acting, but I'm told she can hold her own. The comment section on various FB announcement posts are a cesspit though.

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    ^It won't be long before feminists and SJWs start playing the "sexist" card as always, except this time, they may actually have a leg to stand on, who would've guessed?
    Already happening, really. But the loudest voices seem to be the swathe of guys (and occasional girl) saying they're boycotting the show.

OMG, I can't believe I've had to type this, but it happened. One of my favorite vocalists died today. I'm seriously holding back tears as I write this.
    Yeah, I was pretty cut up by this, particularly by how he went. LP have been a favourite of mine for near two decades, and they seem like real decent people. Heck, I was singing Heavy right before I read it, talk about a burn.

Ok, so something else that annoyed the hell out of me this week is the cop Mohamed Noor shooting Justine Damond. I mean, seriously - "I have no support because I'm a brown Muslim"!?
    You heard a firecracker, drew a weapon and blasted an innocent person in their PJs through the driver's side window - over your partner.
    What bollocks. Also, no body cameras, search lights were off and you didn't even get out of your damn car to check for victims. You're an idiot!
    /rant
    Last edited by Tihocan; 21st Jul 2017 at 05:15.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post
    Already happening, really. But the loudest voices seem to be the swathe of guys (and occasional girl) saying they're boycotting the show.
    I can kinda see where they're coming from on this one. Had they actually gone and changed a character from male to female, they'd have a point. In fact, I may actually find myself agreeing with them, but that's not what this is, not this time. I wouldn't go as far as to call them "sexist", though.

If they indeed changed Green Ranger into a woman just to pander to feminaz!s (why in God's name is it censored on here?) or changed Wonder Woman into Wonder Man, I'd be right there with them with my pitchfork.

Yeah, I was pretty cut up by this, particularly by how he went. LP have been a favourite of mine for near two decades, and they seem like real decent people. Heck, I was singing Heavy right before I read it, talk about a burn.
    No kidding, the nostalgia cuts so deep on this one. I remember playing Hybrid Theory on repeat during my middle school years, I loved Meteora as well. I even like their newer stuff (Castle of Glass is catchy ).

Hell, I remember their first (unreleased) single, My December:

Such a beautiful song and voice. They'll never be the same without him.

R.I.P. Chester.
    Last edited by KManX89; 23rd Jul 2017 at 13:49.
    signature image

I can kinda see where they're coming from on this one. Had they actually gone and changed a character from male to female, they'd have a point. In fact, I may actually find myself agreeing with them, but that's not what this is, not this time. I wouldn't go as far as to call them "sexist", though.
    I dunno, if they're not going to give something a chance - and proclaim loudly that they're doing so - simply because something is the wrong gender, it's a bit hard to argue that they're not.
    If they indeed changed Green Ranger into a woman just to pander to feminaz!s (why in God's name is it censored on here?) or changed Wonder Woman into Wonder Man, I'd be right there with them with my pitchfork.
    I'd understand if it were Jane Mclane or Allan Ripley... or Larry Croft...

No kidding, the nostalgia cuts so deep on this one. I remember playing Hybrid Theory on repeat during my middle school years, I loved Meteora as well. I even like their newer stuff (Castle of Glass is catchy ).
    I played the heck out of ReAnimation too, still do.
    Then my mother in law said something along the lines of "yeah, how stupid can you be!". Took a lot of nerve to calmly remind her about the effect depression has, even in our own family.

Such a beautiful song and voice. They'll never be the same without him.

R.I.P. Chester.
    I hear you.
    signature image

yeah I'd say they're more ignorant than sexist. It's like I aid before, the majority of complaints are coming from people who don't understand the source material, the adaptable nature of The Doctor. And those are are, who've actually seen the series, then probably just stubborn, who want to see a general template be rigidly adhered to.

Though you'd think this would have all the SJW's rejoicing, right? I mean we're talking a major win for female representation, even the Queen Anita Sarkeesian would be heralding this as a victory for progress. Right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Ohhhhhhhh, how you have underestimated this sour puss, not even THIS could be good enough for her. Ohhhhhhhh NO... no no no no noooooooo... a major 50 yar old icon for the first time is now a female; yet this still isn't "inclusive enough". Just not enough, when she's still white. Because when someone builds their career on oppression, it's going to be found even when they have to fabricate it. This is like cops that plant evidence to be able to charge someone they want to be guilty. In Anita's discriminatory eyes being white is a crime. Yeah, just take a look....

signature image

yeah I'd say they're more ignorant than sexist.
    Depends on what their gripe is. Are they tired of the constant gender/race pandering that goes on all the time? I'd say that's more than a legitimate gripe.

I myself have zero interest in -- or knowledge of -- the Dr Who franchise, so do correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is yet another example of so many cases where a long time established character is gender/race swapped just to be PC, then the fans' negative reaction is neither 'sexist' nor 'ignorant'.

It's like I aid before, the majority of complaints are coming from people who don't understand the source material
    I'd also like to know if these complains are actually coming from legit people in the first place, and not just trolls or feminists / SJW's using sock account to demonize the Dr Who fandom

And those are are, who've actually seen the series, then probably just stubborn, who want to see a general template be rigidly adhered to.
    Would you be saying the same if people are demanding a gender swap of Lara Croft? I mean, the title of being a "Tomb Raider" does not necessarily require a woman. It's only a general template. Crystal should be free to dump Lara and have Larry Croft be the new Tomb Raider in all future games...

Though you'd think this would have all the SJW's rejoicing, right? I mean we're talking a major win for female representation, even the Queen Anita Sarkeesian would be heralding this as a victory for progress. Right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Ohhhhhhhh, how you have underestimated this sour puss, not even THIS could be good enough for her. Ohhhhhhhh NO... no no no no noooooooo... a major 50 yar old icon for the first time is now a female; yet this still isn't "inclusive enough". Just not enough, when she's still white. Because when someone builds their career on oppression, it's going to be found even when they have to fabricate it. This is like cops that plant evidence to be able to charge someone they want to be guilty. In Anita's discriminatory eyes being white is a crime. Yeah, just take a look....
    lol I'm sure I don't even have to watch that video to know where she'll take this. Intersectionality yada yada white privilege blah blah marginalized groups yak yak.

---

Speaking of spoiled white princess Sarkeesian, she continues to make an absolute arse out of herself as she recently during Vidcon attacked popular youtuber Sargon who was sitting in the audience, calling him a "s---head" and a "garbage human".

And what did Sargon do to deserve such disgusting treatment from Anita? He was.... just sitting in the audience listening to her. JUST LISTENING makes you a target for abuse by Anita's standards!

And of course, in regular feminist fashion, she then turns around and plays the VICTIM of harassment. After bloody harassing (by her own standards) Sargon for merely showing up to her panel. Holy balls the hypocrisy and blatant manipulation is OOZING from this woman.

And to top off the irony even more, this was during a panel about harassment and abuse

And what do you know, the journalists ahem gossip mag writers over at SJW central Polygon gobble up Anita's victim BS like hot cakes and print this abominable article:

https://www.polygon.com/features/201...dcon-interview

And you'd think the madness ends there, right? Ha ha of course not. It gets MUCH better, folks!

The next day Sarkeesian is on yet another panel at Vidcon, joined by another speaker, the well-known gamer youtuber Boogy2988. Boogy is has crippling anxiety issues and after the panel was over, Anita approached Boogy and BULIED him for daring to express an opinion during the panel that goes against her feminist narrative that online abuse only happens to women (when in fact, the opposite is true - men are receiving more abuse online than women).

Off-camera Anita lashed out at Boogy and angrily saying to him "it was really F-ing uncool what you did".

Holy poop on a stick, Boogy, the most bland and inoffensive youtuber out there, still manages to offend Sarkeesian. That just really says it all, doesn't it.

So not only did she attacked Sargon during Vidcon, but she also attacked Boogy, and somehow she is still the victim in all of this!

Now, with all of this done you'd think there are some consequences for her crappy and unprofessional behaviour, right? NOPE. She not only did not get in trouble with Vidcon, but she somehow even managed to manipulate the event organizers (Hank and John Green, who are also popular youtubers themselves) into THEM apologizing to HER.

Riiiiiiiight, these poor oppressed fragile women like Anita and just about every other feminist bend everything to their will, but apparently we live in a patriarchy where men control everything and keep women down. Good lord give me a break

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Depends on what their gripe is. Are they tired of the constant gender/race pandering that goes on all the time? I'd say that's more than a legitimate gripe.
    Would you be saying the same if people are demanding a gender swap of Lara Croft? I mean, the title of being a "Tomb Raider" does not necessarily require a woman. It's only a general template. Crystal should be free to dump Lara and have Larry Croft be the new Tomb Raider in all future games...
    I think this is different. It's long been established that the Time Lord can be female (The Master did change genders on his regen). Dr Who has always been about equality, acceptance, and it was a question of when rather than if.
    As for Lara, it's a different story. Lara Croft is synonymous - to the point where her name is part of the title. I'd feel the same way about Die Hard, or Metal Gear Solid. Though really, in either case a spin-off game wouldn't hurt my feelings.

lol I'm sure I don't even have to watch that video to know where she'll take this. Intersectionality yada yada white privilege blah blah marginalized groups yak yak.
    It's how one stays "relevant" - take someone's stride and call it baby steps.

Speaking of spoiled white princess Sarkeesian, she continues to make an absolute arse out of herself as she recently during Vidcon attacked popular youtuber Sargon who was sitting in the audience, calling him a "s---head" and a "garbage human".

And what did Sargon do to deserve such disgusting treatment from Anita? He was.... just sitting in the audience listening to her. JUST LISTENING makes you a target for abuse by Anita's standards!
    I don't know who Sargon is, but that's a pretty crap thing to do. Especially if he didn't even challenge her.

And what do you know, the journalists ahem gossip mag writers over at SJW central Polygon gobble up Anita's victim BS like hot cakes and print this abominable article:

https://www.polygon.com/features/201...dcon-interview
    Something something garbage human(s)

Holy poop on a stick, Boogy, the most bland and inoffensive youtuber out there, still manages to offend Sarkeesian. That just really says it all, doesn't it.
    Well, not really.
    You don't have to be naturally offensive to offend. If the words fit, then she has "every right" to be offended (as I have every right not to care). And, as Boogie himself says in the video, they had a good constructive talk afterwards. Devil's advocate or whatever, that's to her credit.

Also hard for you to call that bullying after our conversation on workplace harrassment and facebook de-friending... :P
    Last edited by Tihocan; 26th Jul 2017 at 00:39.
    signature image

The comparison here, or other similar examples such as the new Ghost Busters, doesn't hold since the conditions are nothing alike. By that I mean the continuities don't work the same way. Tomb Raider is defined by a specifically designed character; a British female aristocrat, Lara Croft who from tragic experience becomes an adventuring explorer and treasure hunter. Just as Spiderman is defined by that specific character design; Peter Parker raised by his aunt and uncle, gets bitten by a radioactive spider granting him superhuman abilities, tries to profit from his new gifts until his arrogance leads to his uncle's death, where he learns the lesson "with great power comes great responsibility" and he vows to use his power to fight crime and protect the people of New York.

To make Lara a man would require re-writing an established publication history and continuity timeline, and making fundamental alterations to a physical identity. Essentially you've created a new character that may take inspiration from Lara but is not that character, nor part of that continuity. Come to think of it we do have this... Nathan Drake from Uncharted

This would be like having an alternate reality version of Lara Croft, a doppelganger (no pun intended) that may mirror the history and some of the personality traits, but can only be a copy of the original, not even an update to that like many reboots do, not just for Lara but consider how many updates we've seen for Spiderman and Batman and Superman, both of whom have a near 80 year history. But even aside from reboots that that are more often meant to modernize a long time character to keep them updated to the times, with DC and Marvel you have a multiverse that allows for a myriad of alternate versions of their iconic characters, which don't replace the originals in the sense of destroying the original continuity, but co-existing with them side by side. Like you have the Peter Parker and Miles Morales Spiderman, or the numerous versions of Superman in DC's multiverse.

Soooooooo, finally getting back to Doctor Who... when a new actor takes over the role of the title character, the show isn't presenting this as simply a new performance for the same character, as if the Doctor has always had this face and voice. Like how James Bond is a mantle assumed by different actors, each being their own contribution to a single character, that we as the audience have to adjust as being the current look of that character.

OK, so the Doctor is a single character with an established history and timeline, BUT with one major difference from any other body of fiction. As an alien the Doctor has the ability to regenerate, which not only heals near fatal injuries (part of what makes the character live so long, now counting to 2000 years old) but the process basically reconstructs the entire body on a cellular level - not just the face, but the flesh, muscle, skeleton, organs... from head to toe, inside an out, the Doctor regenerates with a whole new body. So the character changing faces isn't merely a superficial theatrical adaptation, it's actually part of and core to the continuity. The Doctor is someone who physically changes appearance, meaning that what ever he looks like today isn't ignoring what he looked like before, that all past incarnations remain part of his timeline. The Doctor is aware of having taken on different appearances (as do most of his companions) and knows he'll continue to do so.

And they did establish that a Timelord can change gender in a regeneration, again it's a complete cellular reconstruction, and it's been seen at least a couple of times already. So not only has it always been possible, it was likely inevitable. Could politics have played a part from the executive side of things? That is possible. The point being this change of gender fully works within the framework of the fiction, which in no way alters, distorts, re-writes, or disregards the character history, nor the 50+ year legacy of Doctor Who as a show. The Doctor becoming a woman is just another chapter added to those which came before, which will be a part of the chapters to follow in the character's journey.
    Last edited by AdobeArtist; 26th Jul 2017 at 15:19.
    signature image

I think this is different. It's long been established that the Time Lord can be female (The Master did change genders on his regen). Dr Who has always been about equality, acceptance, and it was a question of when rather than if.
    As for Lara, it's a different story. Lara Croft is synonymous - to the point where her name is part of the title. I'd feel the same way about Die Hard, or Metal Gear Solid. Though really, in either case a spin-off game wouldn't hurt my feelings.
    Reading up on the Dr Who controversy a bit I understand that SJW's have been pushing for a gender swap for a long time and the last person in charge has always been against it, and now that he left the BBC brought in someone new who is happy to pander to the identity politics of the PC crowd.

So apparently there was nothing natural about this gender swap, but yet another example of a superficial and meaningless change made to a long time established franchise (Dr Who has always been male, and for a good 50 years from what I hear) just in the name of 'diversity'.

And that's called shoe-horning in my book.

It's how one stays "relevant" - take someone's stride and call it baby steps.
    Not sure how you mean that. You mean Sarkeesian is trying to stay relevant by piggy-backing on other people's struggles?

I don't know who Sargon is, but that's a pretty crap thing to do. Especially if he didn't even challenge her.
    Sargon of Akkad is one of the biggest skeptic / anti-PC youtubers. He mostly does social and political commentary, has a fanbase of nearly 700 thousand and he has been one of Anita's most known critics, alongside Thunderf00t and The Amazing Atheist, doing in-depth debunking videos of her work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SargonofAkkad100

Indeed, he did nothing to provoke her whatsoever. He literally just showed up to listen what Anita has to say and that was all.

That's what made this such a wonderful example of feminist double standards. It was so clear-cut that even the mainstream, people who are not familiar with the dirty tricks of the SJW's, can see how this cancerous ideology is filled with blatant hypocrites who want special rules for themselves while holding everyone else to a different standard.

Do as I say, not as I do, eh?

Something something garbage human(s)
    You actually made it through the whole article? I commend you, Sir

Well, not really.
    You don't have to be naturally offensive to offend. If the words fit, then she has "every right" to be offended (as I have every right not to care).
    We are not talking about a hypothetical such as "anything you say can be potentially offensive to someone out there". We are talking about Sarkeesian, a person who is offended by everything. For Pete's sake, the way Batman's CAPE flutters in the wind was offensive to Anita

Her finding a way to somehow be offended by someone who is the most inoffensive, PG13, sugar coating to the extreme, wanting to get along with everyone, pandering to everyone's feelings, spends months crafting a speech in such a way that it is respectful to all sides -- yeah that just solidifies what we all already thought of Sarkeesian - that she is a snowflake who can't handle any disagreement whatsoever.

And, as Boogie himself says in the video, they had a good constructive talk afterwards. Devil's advocate or whatever, that's to her credit.
    I'm sorry but Anita gets no cookies for having a 'constructive' talk that A) wasn't initiated by her in the first place (from the way he described it, Boogy practically begged her not to be angry with him - Jesus have some dignity dude) and B) she used to only push her agenda to Boogy.

FFS she even used their green room talk to gaslight Boogy, trying to manipulate him into thinking that the only reason he receives online abuse is because of his weight. Holy crap could she be any more dismissive?!

To me it's very clear that Anita doesn't give a flying fudge about Boogy, or any other man who receives the same hate she receives online, because you know, that doesn't fit her feminist narrative. At the end of the day it's the gospel of feminism that trumps everything. And of course the income she makes off of feminism.

So no, no credit to be given to Anita there as far as I'm concerned. Quite the opposite, it just shows what a cold-hearted opportunist she is.

Though I can sympathize with Boogy portraying their talk as 'constructive' - this is a man who is crippled with social anxiety. He literally loses nights of sleep thinking about the possibility of people like Anita being angry with him. I think his mind is too clouded by fear to see that he has been manipulated and I think it's a normal psychological reaction to paint a bad experience in a better light for yourself in order to mentally cope with it.

Also hard for you to call that bullying after our conversation on workplace harrassment and facebook de-friending... :P
    At the time of writing my last post I wasn't really calling it bullying myself, rather I was using Sarkeesian's own standards of bullying and harassment. And all it takes according to her is simply disagreeing with her. Or showing up at a panel to simply LISTEN

But now that I thought of it a bit more, yes - what she did actually was bullying because she is a bully. It's her MO. Let me explain...

Anita thinks she owns the narrative on bullying and harassment. At Vidcon she used her power and status of an 'authority' on the subject to manipulate Boogy into giving up his own victim hood in favor of the victim hood of women as a collective. Her attitude is like, 'don't talk about your experiences as a man, be a good feminist ally and focus on our experience as an oppressed group'. In other words, men being abused online doesn't matter.

Doing these manipulative tactics while coming from a place of actual and immense power (just to name a few - she's on the Twitter board of trustees, she receives millions in donations, she's backed by the game press and industry at large, she has speaking privileges and influence at the UN, and now she's having Vidcon eating out of her hand) that, good Sir, is absolutely bullying in my book.

Anyway, regardless of whether we should call it bullying or something else, the bigger point is that Anita is the perpetrator of the things she accuses others of.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

*dangles bait*

Food for thought - How soon do you think it'll be until the new Dr Who writers decide to ruin the River Song story, bring her back and have some Woman on Woman action?
    signature image

Speaking of race/gender-swapping, I just watched Ghost in the Shell. No, not the anime, the live-action movie starring Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi, the badass Asian chick from the titular anime.

Yeah, no lack of controversy surrounding that casting choice.

And BTW, the movie was dogsh-t. Even looking past the oft-talked-about whitewashing (even though Scarlett Jo pulls off the Asian look better than anyone could've anticipated going in), there really wasn't much to salvage. Terrible pacing and story, and the action wasn't all that great, either. I'm glad I skipped it in theaters and waited for the Redbox.

I'll stick with the far superior anime, thankyouverymuch. Motoko Kusanagi is much more of a badass in it.

That said, if these same people aren't ripping Beauty and the Beast's political incorrectness (and I heard it has a great deal of it) or lashing out at the countless changes to longstanding WSM characters, then they have no room to talk whatsoever... oh wait, who am I kidding? Of course they aren't!
    Last edited by KManX89; 29th Jul 2017 at 02:54.
    signature image

The comparison here, or other similar examples such as the new Ghost Busters, doesn't hold since the conditions are nothing alike. By that I mean the continuities don't work the same way. Tomb Raider is defined by a specifically designed character; a British female aristocrat, Lara Croft who from tragic experience becomes an adventuring explorer and treasure hunter. Just as Spiderman is defined by that specific character design; Peter Parker raised by his aunt and uncle, gets bitten by a radioactive spider granting him superhuman abilities, tries to profit from his new gifts until his arrogance leads to his uncle's death, where he learns the lesson "with great power comes great responsibility" and he vows to use his power to fight crime and protect the people of New York.

To make Lara a man would require re-writing an established publication history and continuity timeline, and making fundamental alterations to a physical identity. Essentially you've created a new character that may take inspiration from Lara but is not that character, nor part of that continuity. Come to think of it we do have this... Nathan Drake from Uncharted

This would be like having an alternate reality version of Lara Croft, a doppelganger (no pun intended) that may mirror the history and some of the personality traits, but can only be a copy of the original, not even an update to that like many reboots do, not just for Lara but consider how many updates we've seen for Spiderman and Batman and Superman, both of whom have a near 80 year history. But even aside from reboots that that are more often meant to modernize a long time character to keep them updated to the times, with DC and Marvel you have a multiverse that allows for a myriad of alternate versions of their iconic characters, which don't replace the originals in the sense of destroying the original continuity, but co-existing with them side by side. Like you have the Peter Parker and Miles Morales Spiderman, or the numerous versions of Superman in DC's multiverse.
    So Spiderman is a character defined by his character, and changing "fundamental alterations to a physical identity" as you put it would not work, yet moments later you use Spiderman as an example of how apparently it's perfectly fine to do just that. Makes sense

Also, how can one be so easily satisfied with the lazy "alternative universe" excuse. Well then, if that's apparently good enough, Larry Croft happens in an alternative universe! No conflict then, right?

Soooooooo, finally getting back to Doctor Who... when a new actor takes over the role of the title character, the show isn't presenting this as simply a new performance for the same character, as if the Doctor has always had this face and voice. Like how James Bond is a mantle assumed by different actors, each being their own contribution to a single character, that we as the audience have to adjust as being the current look of that character.
    So we can expect no objection whatsoever from you then if the next James Bond is a black woman from the Congo?

OK, so the Doctor is a single character with an established history and timeline, BUT with one major difference from any other body of fiction. As an alien the Doctor has the ability to regenerate, which not only heals near fatal injuries (part of what makes the character live so long, now counting to 2000 years old) but the process basically reconstructs the entire body on a cellular level - not just the face, but the flesh, muscle, skeleton, organs... from head to toe, inside an out, the Doctor regenerates with a whole new body. So the character changing faces isn't merely a superficial theatrical adaptation, it's actually part of and core to the continuity. The Doctor is someone who physically changes appearance, meaning that what ever he looks like today isn't ignoring what he looked like before, that all past incarnations remain part of his timeline. The Doctor is aware of having taken on different appearances (as do most of his companions) and knows he'll continue to do so.

And they did establish that a Timelord can change gender in a regeneration, again it's a complete cellular reconstruction, and it's been seen at least a couple of times already. So not only has it always been possible, it was likely inevitable.
    Fair enough.

But pandering to identity politics is still pandering to identity politics. It may fit within canon in this particular case, but that only makes it slightly less egregious. At the end of the day it's all still part of this cancerous PC cult that will come for any work of art whether it fits or not. And people understandably have a problem with that.

Could politics have played a part from the executive side of things? That is possible.
    You can bet your grandma on it. This is the BBC we're talking about. They are effing cultish about political correctness. Diversity hires are the norm there. They even go as far as firing men and white people because they were born with the wrong gender or skin color.

---

Keeping up with the Dr Who controversy, SJW's once again show their massive double standards

*Every SJW pre-Dr Who gender swap: WE DEMAND GENDER SWAPS OF POPULAR CHARACTERS BECAUSE GIRLS NEED ROLE MODELS THEY CAN RELATE TO!!!*

*Former Dr Who actor complains about boys losing a role model with the latest gender swap*

*SJW's reaction: HOW OUTRAGEOUS TO ASSUME BOYS NEED MALE CHARACTERS AS RELATABLE ROLE MODELS, THEY CAN HAVE FEMALE ROLE MODELS JUST FINE YOU SEXIST SCUM DINOSAURS!!!*

Good grief, effing hypocrites.

A female Dr Who fan makes a case against the new female Dr Who and provides some insight in the BBC's cult of diversity and why it's harmful to the series.

The Female Doctor: Why People are ACTUALLY Pissed

Well well well, looks like a gender swap actually does in fact go against Dr Who canon after all

Wow, such an angry young woman. Let's make a point by accentuating every other word. So, one video of a female Dr Who fan and you're convinced the gender swap goes against canon? As she points out, it has previously been established that Time Lords can change genders with regeneration, although it's quite recent. As she mentioned both the General and The Master gender swapped. Whether she likes the characters or not is irrelevant. Good writing helps, and Missy, imo, was hit and miss. She had a mostly good run, with a couple of misses but her character wasn't the problem, it was the Episodes themselves. This person is making a couple of rather large assumptions here. She's arguing that for the Doctor's change into a woman to be possible (other than being physically able to), is if he is alright with it. She goes on to say that Eleven is not okay with idea of being a woman. First I've ever heard. He flipped out when he thought he was a woman? Nope. Shocked maybe, sure, but he didn't flip out. He seemed more upset he wasn't a ginger finally, if anything. Actually, come to think of it, the fact that he had a moment of thinking he was a girl, means that it was possible that he could have regenerated into one - so he was alright with it.

Her next point is bad writing. Well, Chris Chibnall, the new show runner has written a few episodes of Dr Who, along with 2 seasons of Torchwood, a spin off. "The Power of three" (DW) and Torchwood were excellent, "42" not so much, but not terrible. We've not seen any of the new season yet and no scenes with Thirteen (besides the 1 minute reveal clip where Jodie didn't speak). So how on earth she can presume the writing for Season 11 is going to handle a female doctor poorly done? Oh, right, she didn't like Season 9. Yep, that's proof alright. Not. She didn't even watch S10. She's also exaggerating when she says new regenerations retain some of their previous personalities. A teeny bit for an episode or two. This is usually to allow the new actor to ease into the role, but it also allows them to make the role their own. No where in this video did she give a compelling argument.
    Last edited by Rai; 2nd Aug 2017 at 04:09.

Wow the rabbit hole of Dr Who social justice propaganda goes much deeper than I thought. The show seems to be getting infested with feminist ideology, sexism against men and outright misandry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Wow, such an angry young woman. Let's make a point by accentuating every other word.
    What's wrong with being angry? Surely not every youtuber needs to be like Boogy? I for one love the different styles that different content creators bring to the table. It adds... diversity to the platform, heh.

So, one video of a female Dr Who fan and you're convinced the gender swap goes against canon?
    It's not really about convincing me, I'm not a Dr Who fan, but why would we need more than one video if the point she makes is valid? Apparently the doc was not into the idea of regenerating as a woman. Sounds like a legit point if true.

As she points out, it has previously been established that Time Lords can change genders with regeneration, although it's quite recent. As she mentioned both the General and The Master gender swapped.
    I think you missed her point there. The issue is not that time lords cannot gender swap, but that it goes against established lore for the doc to do so.

Whether she likes the characters or not is irrelevant.
    She didn't try to make her personal taste relevant to the issue of gender swapping. Those were different points.

She's arguing that for the Doctor's change into a woman to be possible (other than being physically able to), is if he is alright with it.
    So this is false then? Time lords have no control over what they regenerate into?

Her next point is bad writing. Well, Chris Chibnall, the new show runner has written a few episodes of Dr Who, along with 2 seasons of Torchwood, a spin off. "The Power of three" (DW) and Torchwood were excellent, "42" not so much, but not terrible. We've not seen any of the new season yet and no scenes with Thirteen (besides the 1 minute reveal clip where Jodie didn't speak). So how on earth she can presume the writing for Season 11 is going to handle a female doctor poorly done? Oh, right, she didn't like Season 9. Yep, that's proof alright. Not.
    Well she didn't claim to have "proof" of the new season being crap. No one can, since it hasn't aired yet, as you rightfully point out. Her point is that when toxic ideologies like feminism / social justice take a front seat in the creation of new installments of an already established work, it then usually goes to s___. And this is true. We've seen it with female Ghostbusters, we've seen it with Supergirl, hell we've seen it with comics at large.

Notice in particular the last part of her video where she says that she's not holding her breath. That means that she's not 100% convinced the new season will be crap, but because of the way the BBC has been handling their programming in recent years with shoehorning social justice propaganda into everything, she's setting her expectations very low. And especially after having watched the video I just inserted at the top of this post, I certainly cannot blame her.

What's wrong with being angry? Surely not every youtuber needs to be like Boogy? I for one love the different styles that different content creators bring to the table. It adds... diversity to the platform, heh.
    Well, alright, as we're on the the diversity track . I'll just add I found it off-putting from the start.

It's not really about convincing me, I'm not a Dr Who fan, but why would we need more than one video if the point she makes is valid? Apparently the doc was not into the idea of regenerating as a woman. Sounds like a legit point if true.
    The first part, fair enough. The second part is my issue.

So this is false then? Time lords have no control over what they regenerate into?
    Any control a Time Lord has over their regeneration isn't my issue. There is actually some evidence to suggest they at least have some control. A couple examples: A Classic Who character, Romana is seen literally trying different bodies as if they're outfits before settling. In New Who, Peter Capaldi's Twelve questions "why this face?" (he played a different character in a previous episode). Ten stopped a regeneration by channelling his regen energy into a spare hand so that he could simply heal and remain Ten. My issue is with her argument over the Doctor's personal lore and that he wouldn't be okay with being a woman. I'm not saying she's completely false, I just feel there is evidence on the contrary. I can't remember his ever saying he wouldn't want to be female. Of course, that doesn't mean he hasn't . And yes, sure, in the 50+ years history of the show, the Doctor has only ever been male. On the assumption that the Doctor can choose his next body, would that not suggest he could choose not to have a female body? So, if he didn't want to be a woman, he'd choose a male body. Which is why the example given of Eleven 'flipping out' at thinking he was now a woman doesn't make sense in this context. I don't think he did. Here's the clip for reference. I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it .

In a recent episode in S10, Twelve is explaining to his companion, Bill, about his friendship with The Master/Missy. He talks of meeting The Master as a man, at least he thinks they were both men back then. He goes on to explain that the Time Lords are such an ancient race that gender isn't really an issue for them.

Well she didn't claim to have "proof" of the new season being crap. No one can, since it hasn't aired yet, as you rightfully point out. Her point is that when toxic ideologies like feminism / social justice take a front seat in the creation of new installments of an already established work, it then usually goes to s___. And this is true. We've seen it with female Ghostbusters, we've seen it with Supergirl, hell we've seen it with comics at large.

No, she didn't say she had proof. I did say she was making massive assumptions. I understand why, given the track record as evidenced in the shows/films mentioned. I have to take her word for it though as I've not seen them. And of course her disappointment of S9 and Missy (and her complete dismissal of S10). However, I feel she failed to take into consideration the good writing the show has had in the past and to factor in the new show runner with S11. I dunno maybe she didn't like Chris Chibnall's work either. Her arguments on DW lore aside, at least give the writing a chance. And also the actress.

Notice in particular the last part of her video where she says that she's not holding her breath. That means that she's not 100% convinced the new season will be crap, but because of the way the BBC has been handling their programming in recent years with shoehorning social justice propaganda into everything, she's setting her expectations very low. And especially after having watched the video I just inserted at the top of this post, I certainly cannot blame her.
    I appreciate apprehension for what's to come next for the show and the Doctor. I just got the impression she has a preconceived, negative view for it. Maybe I'm just more optimistic as I saw the announcement and thought "Oh, cool, let's see how this goes".

Well, time to get the cringe on, folks, because the male-to-female sentencing gap lives on in the year 2017, what else is new?

As you may have already heard, Michelle Carter was sentenced yesterday, and guess what? She faces all of 15 months in prison for basically ending a man's life, no joke.

Ugh, yet another glaring example of women getting special treatment in the "justice" system. I already see comments saying that this is somehow a fair sentence for her, give me a f'ing break. If it wasn't for this vile cretin saying and texting those disgusting comments to her suicidally-depressed boyfriend, he would still be alive today, so for her to get less than 2 years in prison for being directly responsible for another man's death is an absolute disgrace to justice (so was OJ and Casey Anthony getting off scott free, but that's a discussion for another day).

As MrRepzion pointed out, if it had been a man saying this to his suicidal girlfriend (and pretty much being complicit in her death), he would get a 15-20 year sentence, if not life in prison with no parole.

This reminds me of another double standard I covered a while back. Basically, Mundane Matt went out of his way to defend a woman by the name of Mekenzie Guffey who committed child rape against a 14-year-old boy, then proceeded to film and send him a video of her raping said boy (basically child porn) and tried to get Medicaid grants in his name after getting pregnant with his child. Absolute monster, yet Matt went on and made a 7.5 minute virtue signal, giving us a sob story about her "hard life," the same sympathy he would NOT extend to a man committing the same crime.

Luckily, lots of YouTubers have made video responses and called him out on it (Warcorpse666 ripped that video to shreds, which I also covered BTW):

I "love" how Mundane Matt goes out of his way to defend this pedophile to high Heaven. What about the 14-year-old boy who's gonna have his life ruined? Where's his sympathy, Matt? You know, the victim? And yes, he IS a victim because he's gonna have his best years ripped away from him because of her outright exploiting and screwing him over with child support (that IS, after all, the reason why she targeted him in the first place, tell me again how this isn't a predatory act?). This boy can forget about going to college now, he has to start working immediately because of her, inb4 "oh, this boy was having the time of his life, he's no victim!"

As a lot of people have pointed out, if it were a 19-year-old guy impregnating a 14-year-old girl, he (and anyone else defending her for that matter) would be calling for his blood. Literally.

I honestly hope this cretin gets no less than 25-to-life for her actions, she's a total piece of . I also hope she loses any and all right to child support from this boy, but let's be honest, I think we all know that's sadly probably not going to happen.

If she really does get the 20 years for child rape like any man would (and that's what she faces for the statutory rape charge alone), then for once, the legal system will have actually done its effing job.
    Last edited by KManX89; 6th Aug 2017 at 01:07.
    signature image

Well, alright, as we're on the the diversity track . I'll just add I found it off-putting from the start.
    Horses for courses, fair enough

Any control a Time Lord has over their regeneration isn't my issue. There is actually some evidence to suggest they at least have some control. A couple examples: A Classic Who character, Romana is seen literally trying different bodies as if they're outfits before settling. In New Who, Peter Capaldi's Twelve questions "why this face?" (he played a different character in a previous episode). Ten stopped a regeneration by channelling his regen energy into a spare hand so that he could simply heal and remain Ten. My issue is with her argument over the Doctor's personal lore and that he wouldn't be okay with being a woman. I'm not saying she's completely false, I just feel there is evidence on the contrary. I can't remember his ever saying he wouldn't want to be female. Of course, that doesn't mean he hasn't . And yes, sure, in the 50+ years history of the show, the Doctor has only ever been male. On the assumption that the Doctor can choose his next body, would that not suggest he could choose not to have a female body? So, if he didn't want to be a woman, he'd choose a male body. Which is why the example given of Eleven 'flipping out' at thinking he was now a woman doesn't make sense in this context. I don't think he did. Here's the clip for reference. I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it .

After having watched the clip myself I have to agree with Ceara that the doc here seemed to be as terrified with the idea of being a girl than the thought of having no legs, as he literally kisses his healthy leg.

I'll concede on the point that the doc has full control over his regeneration; that is clearly not the case. However, from his reaction in the clip you provided there seems to be no doubt that he does have a clear preference. So the writers are at the very least going against the established character of the doc. We'll have to wait and see how the gender swap is handled in the new season but my bet would be that it's not going to make a lot of sense. I expect something just like with that male time lord who suddenly changed into a black woman and the first words coming out of her mouth is man hatred

In a recent episode in S10, Twelve is explaining to his companion, Bill, about his friendship with The Master/Missy. He talks of meeting The Master as a man, at least he thinks they were both men back then. He goes on to explain that the Time Lords are such an ancient race that gender isn't really an issue for them.
    I might be wrong but my gut says that was a deliberate set up in line to making the next doc a woman. In other words, retroactively fitting established lore for political pandering. We see this happening all the time with creators of fiction who cow tow to the SJW's demands for forced diversity and identity politics. For example J K Rowling's after-the-fact declaration that Dumbledore is "gay".

I don't believe it was a mere coincidence that a recent episode (i.e. at a time when the BCC is heavily trying to shoe horn social justice propaganda into their programming) characters are suddenly talking about the social justice concept of gender fluidity

No, she didn't say she had proof. I did say she was making massive assumptions. I understand why, given the track record as evidenced in the shows/films mentioned. I have to take her word for it though as I've not seen them.
    Well regarding Ghostbusters 2016 for example, we've talked about it a lot here, and that movie flopped hard because Sony booted off the original director Ivan Reitman, someone who is passionate about GB and who could have made the third film really great, and replaced him with Paul Feig, a flamboyantly gay director (slash quasi activist) of crappy and unfunny films who doesn't give a hoot about GB but instead is all about social justice and political narratives.

The original GB members were not just entirely gender swapped, but one of them was declared gay and another being played by a trans actress. You couldn't make a more forced 'diversity' cast if you try Anyway, long story short, GB turned into a cringe fest of gender pandering, social justice and political commentary - everything that just about kills comedy.

And by the looks of it, Dr Who is the next victim in this long line of social justice ideology taking over franchises and ruining them.

Not that I personally care about this particular show, mind you. Dr Who seems quite boring to me, TBH. I just find it entertaining to watch all this stuff going down with all these franchises, and I just wonder how much more it takes for fans to finally say "enough is enough" and make a stand against this infestation.

And of course her disappointment of S9 and Missy (and her complete dismissal of S10). However, I feel she failed to take into consideration the good writing the show has had in the past and to factor in the new show runner with S11. I dunno maybe she didn't like Chris Chibnall's work either. Her arguments on DW lore aside, at least give the writing a chance. And also the actress.
    Or maybe because of the good writing of the show in the past she is now speaking out against the social justice ideology that is creeping into the series, before it is too late

To use the Ghostbusters example again, the latest film was supposed to be the start of breathing new life into the franchise and more films were planned, but after the complete failure of the 2026 film the franchise is pretty much dead. Dan Akroyd (actor of the original films in the 80'ies) slammed Paul Feig for the abomination last year, and even Feig himself has expressed regret and said that he will never do another one again.

So many people are probably concerned the same might happen with Dr. Who if they don't speak up now. I don't believe that it's a case of not giving the new doc a chance, I think it's more like people wanting BBC to know that they see what's going on don't like where this is going.

I appreciate apprehension for what's to come next for the show and the Doctor. I just got the impression she has a preconceived, negative view for it. Maybe I'm just more optimistic as I saw the announcement and thought "Oh, cool, let's see how this goes".
    That's fair enough.

I guess Ceara is coming more from a pessimistic place because she has witnessed this stuff going down for a long time. I've been following her youtube channel for a while and she certainly is very much in the midst of this crazy culture war. So I guess when you see this social justice ideology creeping into (and screwing up) everything you love and you witness it happening time after time again it's hard to stay positive.

---

Continuing the Dr Who dramz, Tops Hats And Champagne did a video on the topic and on the trend of gender swapping in franchises in general. He makes some really good points on why people are understandably angry about it, regardless if the change goes against lore or not.

And in other news, a game dev wants to sue gamers for mere (harsh) criticism. Holy balls

Well yes, we can only wait and see how the show runner and writers handle the gender swap. And, how they handle her reaction when she realises she is a woman, especially if, as a he, he was against the idea. I think I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with Ceara on that one. I have more faith of Chris Chibnall handling this than I would if Steven Moffat was still in charge.

And in other news, a game dev wants to sue gamers for mere (harsh) criticism. Holy balls

I know that gamers can be quite harsh in their criticism but threatening to sue gamers/customers is probably the fastest way to get your game removed from steam, it has happened before if I recall.

Anyone here playing or played Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice?

I've only played it for a couple of hours but it's probably the best looking game so far. Aside from the graphics it's mostly the superb animation that makes it looking so good imo. I'm not sure what to think of the game yet though, it certainly won't be something for everyone as mostly what you do is walk around with a tiny bit of combat.

I think if you see it as an interactive movie or more an experience then you can enjoy it (I am so far though in little stints of playtime) but it's not really much of a game that's not meant to be negative mind you.

It's made by a team of about 15 people and it's reasonably priced at € 30.

Edit:
    Finished the game, took me nearly 12 hours (average is about 8 hours I read), genuinely an amazing game, or more aptly a work of art. The sound design and especially the (voice)acting of Senua (main character) is superb. And looking through the dev diaries it was done by a member of the team who also did the video editing of the company and had no experience in acting before
    Last edited by Mike_B; 14th Aug 2017 at 10:58.

To keep with the Dr Who convo for a bit, I thought this was funny

For those still interested, the lead writer of Half Life 1, 2 + episodes version of the ending of Half Life 2 Episode 3

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

Page 1080 of 1081 FirstFirst ... 8058098010301070107610771078107910801081 LastLast