Page 1080 of 1080 FirstFirst ... 805809801030107010761077107810791080
Results 26,976 to 26,981 of 26981

Thread: The Humble Abode (Thread of Randomness)

Well it finally happened. Hell froze over, pigs grew wings, and horses can actually speak. The 13th Doctor who'll replace Peter Capaldi for the 11th season was revealed yesterday. And after 12 (primary) incarnations and over 50 years.... the shape shifting time traveler is now a woman!!

And as you'd expect the internet imploded, taking the spacetime continuum with it, lol I'm sure that #NotMyDoctor is something going around in the Twitter-sphere.

The thing is, this really isn't like other fictional gender swaps of other established characters, like Ghost Busters as one of the more controversial examples. Since the very lore/mythos of Doctor Who had established very near the beginning that this alien species has the ability to change bodies and personalities, which was incorporated as a way to allow different actors to portray the lead character without the need to try to keep a similar appearance, nor that they had to maintain a certain signature performance. Every actor was free to bring their own interpretation to the character, which has now happened 12 times.

And they did establish long ago that a Timelord has the ability to change genders during a regeneration. Though it's been exceptionally rare and has only been seen a couple of times on screen, recently with the Doctor's arch nemesis (among the Timelords) the Master. Of course it was expected this wouldn't happen with the lead character, not for a very very long time. Only in the last two incarnations has debate arisen if audiences would be ready for a gender regeneration. Is this political correctness pandering? Yeah it might very well be. But at least in this case it's doesn't result from a timeline alteration, nor superficially passing on a mantle to a different person taking on the name.

There is a very interesting point made by someone in the third video I'm posting here; making the Doctor female, and someone who visits all sorts of historical settings of Earth, there's a great deal of potential to explore the social standards of those geographical and time settings. But that TV is unlikely to give an honest depiction of history, opting to show an ideal concept of "how it should have been", which is how they wish it was instead of how it actually was. I hadn't even considered the possibilities of exploring history from a woman's vantage, and how disadvantaged that would be for our protagonist who as a man was more often taken seriously by those he dealt with.

But we should remember this would be no ordinary woman traveling to the various historical settings that had such low regard for women. And I don't mean her being an alien, which they wouldn't notice looking just like us. But rather her intelligence and advanced knowledge, giving her some kind of advantage the local women wouldn't have considering education wasn't something they had access to. So an advantage to offset the disadvantage of her gender.But now that this got me thinking about it, there are two settings I would love to see;

* A woman in Roman times, particularly if the Doctor gets captured and put into slavery (this actress btw is quite pretty).

* Visiting Salem during the witch hysteria. How this Doctor's intelligence and advance knowledge, where we see her advantage backfire as something that threatens the social status quo, something that "a woman shouldn't have", thus the men's conclusion that the Doctor is a witch, consequently taken to trial. And if you know your history those trials were rigged to conclude confirmation bias.

But we'll have to wait and see how this new direction treats historical inspection.

The official reveal trailer

And some reaction videos:

signature image

^It won't be long before feminists and SJWs start playing the "sexist" card as always, except this time, they may actually have a leg to stand on, who would've guessed?

Unlike the rumored gender swap of Green Ranger (Tommy, or should I say, Tomi?) in the planned Power Rangers sequel that most likely won't be happening now, I made a post about this a few pages back. Yeah, you better believe the feminaz!s were ready to wave their PC pitchforks on that one. Oh yes, because God forbid anyone have a problem with a beloved character (the most popular character from the show) being needlessly changed (and a gender swap literally changes everything about the character) in a movie reboot that pays lip service to fans of the TV show (I'll admit I was one of those kids back in the day, hehehe), 24 years of nostalgia be damned.

Ironically, the same people claiming to be open-minded now would be the first ones to complain if they gave Ellen Ripley a sex change in a hypothetical reboot of Alien or made Spider-Man's costume purple instead of red. Suddenly, they're not so color-blind and open-minded, anymore.
    Last edited by KManX89; 19th Jul 2017 at 03:04.
    signature image

OMG, I can't believe I've had to type this, but it happened. One of my favorite vocalists died today. I'm seriously holding back tears as I write this.

These two songs will always be a big part of my adolescent years:

R.I.P. Chester Bennington. Your amazing voice will be missed.
    Last edited by KManX89; 21st Jul 2017 at 02:30.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by AdobeArtist View Post
    Well it finally happened. Hell froze over, pigs grew wings, and horses can actually speak. The 13th Doctor who'll replace Peter Capaldi for the 11th season was revealed yesterday. And after 12 (primary) incarnations and over 50 years.... the shape shifting time traveler is now a woman!!
    Looking forward to it. I've never seen her acting, but I'm told she can hold her own. The comment section on various FB announcement posts are a cesspit though.

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    ^It won't be long before feminists and SJWs start playing the "sexist" card as always, except this time, they may actually have a leg to stand on, who would've guessed?
    Already happening, really. But the loudest voices seem to be the swathe of guys (and occasional girl) saying they're boycotting the show.

OMG, I can't believe I've had to type this, but it happened. One of my favorite vocalists died today. I'm seriously holding back tears as I write this.
    Yeah, I was pretty cut up by this, particularly by how he went. LP have been a favourite of mine for near two decades, and they seem like real decent people. Heck, I was singing Heavy right before I read it, talk about a burn.

Ok, so something else that annoyed the hell out of me this week is the cop Mohamed Noor shooting Justine Damond. I mean, seriously - "I have no support because I'm a brown Muslim"!?
    You heard a firecracker, drew a weapon and blasted an innocent person in their PJs through the driver's side window - over your partner.
    What bollocks. Also, no body cameras, search lights were off and you didn't even get out of your damn car to check for victims. You're an idiot!
    /rant
    Last edited by Tihocan; 21st Jul 2017 at 05:15.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post
    Already happening, really. But the loudest voices seem to be the swathe of guys (and occasional girl) saying they're boycotting the show.
    I can kinda see where they're coming from on this one. Had they actually gone and changed a character from male to female, they'd have a point. In fact, I may actually find myself agreeing with them, but that's not what this is, not this time. I wouldn't go as far as to call them "sexist", though.

If they indeed changed Green Ranger into a woman just to pander to feminaz!s (why in God's name is it censored on here?) or changed Wonder Woman into Wonder Man, I'd be right there with them with my pitchfork.

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty cut up by this, particularly by how he went. LP have been a favourite of mine for near two decades, and they seem like real decent people. Heck, I was singing Heavy right before I read it, talk about a burn.
    No kidding, the nostalgia cuts so deep on this one. I remember playing Hybrid Theory on repeat during my middle school years, I loved Meteora as well. I even like their newer stuff (Castle of Glass is catchy ).

Hell, I remember their first (unreleased) single, My December:

Such a beautiful song and voice. They'll never be the same without him.

R.I.P. Chester.
    Last edited by KManX89; Yesterday at 13:49.
    signature image

I can kinda see where they're coming from on this one. Had they actually gone and changed a character from male to female, they'd have a point. In fact, I may actually find myself agreeing with them, but that's not what this is, not this time. I wouldn't go as far as to call them "sexist", though.
    I dunno, if they're not going to give something a chance - and proclaim loudly that they're doing so - simply because something is the wrong gender, it's a bit hard to argue that they're not.
    If they indeed changed Green Ranger into a woman just to pander to feminaz!s (why in God's name is it censored on here?) or changed Wonder Woman into Wonder Man, I'd be right there with them with my pitchfork.
    I'd understand if it were Jane Mclane or Allan Ripley... or Larry Croft...

No kidding, the nostalgia cuts so deep on this one. I remember playing Hybrid Theory on repeat during my middle school years, I loved Meteora as well. I even like their newer stuff (Castle of Glass is catchy ).
    I played the heck out of ReAnimation too, still do.
    Then my mother in law said something along the lines of "yeah, how stupid can you be!". Took a lot of nerve to calmly remind her about the effect depression has, even in our own family.

Such a beautiful song and voice. They'll never be the same without him.

R.I.P. Chester.
    I hear you.
    signature image

Page 1080 of 1080 FirstFirst ... 805809801030107010761077107810791080