Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Final Fantasy 9 On STEAM

Final Fantasy 9 On STEAM

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Question Final Fantasy 9 On STEAM

    I dont have very much information about this if anyone could link that that'd be great thank you.

    So FF7 released on steam while ago and now i heard FF8 is being re-released.

    Is there any information about Final Fantasy IX coming to steam in future?
    I'd give anything to play the best game of my childhood again.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    i like them all thanks

  3. #3
    But 7 & 8 were released for PC back in the day unlike 9. It's not impossible but it's very unlikely.

  4. #4
    No, it'll never happen.

    PS1 CPU architecture is completely different from PC. It's physically impossible to release the original game on Steam. Unless Valve somehow designs a new platform that can emulate PS1 games or licenses Steam to a next gen console, your thread is a pipe dream. FF7 and FF8 are only able to be re-released because they had PC ports developed alongside the original games years ago.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs Up

    i really would love to see ff9 on steam would be awesome if it were i played it once when it was ps 1 i thought it was funny and emotif both at the same time ) would really love it ill buy in an instant if they're all came to pc and steam most particurally since it ll be most updated towards system requirments
    Last edited by Ferolnova; 13th Sep 2013 at 16:43.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1
    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    No, it'll never happen.
    Really, I don't see why not.

    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    PS1 CPU architecture is completely different from PC.
    I will yield to this statement as fact.

    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    It's physically impossible to release the original game on Steam.
    By that standard, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 would have never been able to be PORTED to the PC in the first place. Already your rather hard lined stance on the issue is falling apart.

    Almost all modern PCs have at least comparable if not drastically better hardware then the PS1 and in some cases the PS2. Emulators do exist and if the original source code for the PS1 game is still archived, which it likely is some where and in some way, the raw code needed to create a PC friendly port is all right there.

    I believe that mostly all games for the older Consoles can be rewritten with emulation code for the wide range of PC hardware that is out in the world as it sit. Again most PC since the PS2 and Xbox years will flat out beat a PS1 hands down in terms of raw processing power and can be made to emulate a PS1 or PS2 in the hands of a dedicated team of porters.

    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    Unless Valve somehow designs a new platform that can emulate PS1 games or licenses Steam to a next gen console.
    Clearly you don't understand that it is not VALVe nor it's Steam Application that has anything to do with how a game works on any given computer. Rather it's the Games own engine that governs this. Steam is a Account, Store and Manger for games and other software that makes installing and running games a bit more easy for the end user by taking physical media out of the mixture and keeping track of what games are accessible to any give account holder.

    That is really all that steam is. A Game Hosting Platform. to give it mystical powers of a Console Game System with special super powers, is a flawed idea and one that make no sense at all.

    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    your thread is a pipe dream.
    No not really. Saying such with what I am about to enlighten you about will show that this statement is both ignorant and arrogant. Best to not have been said at all despite how superior you may feel knocking someones hopes back with wrong notions and facts.

    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    FF7 and FF8 are only able to be re-released because they had PC ports developed alongside the original games years ago.
    This so called fact is actually false. Neither game was ported along side the original game. These where 3rd part port by a company known to make a lot of console games ported to PCs. This was done well after the original games had been release and saw a good amount of success and popularity on the console market. This company saw potential for widening the games market by releasing a PC port and felt that they could do it. Contacted square and worked out a deal to license the Source code of these games.

    Some code had to be changed and some supportive emulations had to be wrapped into the code to make a native PS1 game work on a PC, but sure enough they had done it, and released the game into the PC market with their own logo slapped into the opening splash screens. When Final Fantasy 8 was released, this same company got the rights much quicker, and again did much the same thing as with Final Fantasy 7.

    The big problem is the PC Releases while still sellers and worth the effort, suffered from the big issues of porting a console game to a wide range of PCs made the game porting process suffer. Strange Control scheme for keyboard rather then PC game pads, many hitches in the picture and audio. the list can go on and on and on depending on what game we're talking about. In short mostly all port from Console to PC tend to not be as good of a seller as the native format game.

    When Final Fantasy 9 was released. Interest in making a PC port was in part very low, and no one seemed to want a port on the PC, so one wasn't made. This is not to say that Final Fantasy 9 wasn't a great game. No just that no one seemed to be willing to go though all the trouble of making this much more advanced version of the Final Fantasy vision into a working PC port.

    Yes the original main issue was that the PC was not quite up to par with how that engine operated. From what I understand and I may be wrong here, Every Final Fantasy Game is stared from scratch, no two final Fantasy engines are completely alike source code wise. and Final Fantasy 9 was a really advanced and ambitious game engine at the time.

    To close my addition to this thread.

    With modern PCs and it awesome hardware, along with a bit of effort and some clever coding/emulation know how, a really great PC port of the game can be achieved. So say it can't would be outright stupid to believe, and anyone touting that flawed notion should remain silent, or blissfully unaware in addition to silence.

    As for you Final2500: Keep on dreaming buddy, I'll be dreaming about a PC port of Final Fantasy 9 as well. However Moooka is probably right. This will likely not happen as there is not a PC port base for them to quickly knock out a re-release of the game.

    Honestly I would like to see 1-9 released for the PC on steam geared towards Modern PC's and maybe enhanced content so long as the basic of the games are not touched.

    Good luck. all. Not you Dark Tiamat ZERO, your just mean spirited and rude. Kidding.
    Last edited by ninjabuntu; 9th Nov 2013 at 08:33.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by ninjabuntu
    [blah, blah, blah...]

    The big problem is the PC Releases while still sellers and worth the effort, suffered from the big issues of porting a console game to a wide range of PCs made the game porting process suffer. Strange Control scheme for keyboard rather then PC game pads, many hitches in the picture and audio. the list can go on and on and on depending on what game we're talking about. In short mostly all port from Console to PC tend to not be as good of a seller as the native format game.

    When Final Fantasy 9 was released. Interest in making a PC port was in part very low, and no one seemed to want a port on the PC, so one wasn't made. This is not to say that Final Fantasy 9 wasn't a great game. No just that no one seemed to be willing to go though all the trouble of making this much more advanced version of the Final Fantasy vision into a working PC port.

    Yes the original main issue was that the PC was not quite up to par with how that engine operated. From what I understand and I may be wrong here, Every Final Fantasy Game is stared from scratch, no two final Fantasy engines are completely alike source code wise. and Final Fantasy 9 was a really advanced and ambitious game engine at the time.
    Gee, thanks for making my argument for me:

    1.) PC Ports tend to suffer from crippling issues that the original game didn't have.
    2.) PC Ports tend not to sell as many units as the original game.
    3.) Nobody is willing to go through all the trouble of making a port that's just going to sell less.

    Durr, and emulators didn't exist back then. The emulators we DO have today are usually illegal bootlegs developed by unlicensed websites. And even those that ARE officially licensed can have slowdown or crash issues.

    The OP was asking for a release of FF9 on Steam, which is impossible. It's a PS1 game. Nobody ports PS1 games anymore. Where have you seen Steam selling emulated PS1 games? It only sells PC games and PC ports. That's why FF7 and FF8 are there: because they already had working PC ports developed back when the games were new. And Steam is owned by Valve. Valve would have to develop (or update) a platform to either run or emulate PS1 games first, THEN get the rights to sell other games from publishers, and FINALLY make sure that those games work correctly. Do you really think that there's a big enough market demand to warrant releasing FF9 or any other PS1 games on the PC? I didn't think so. If there was, it would have happened BACK when the games were new, not 15 years LATER when everyone's moved on.

    Oh by the way, you are wrong: FF8 and FF9 use the same engine. Same text font and color, same polygonal character models, same shadows, same menu system, and same music quality. I can't wait to see more!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    agreed this game still looks amazing and would love to play my atf ff.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    I would pay any amount of cash to play this on my rig. I have the ''Original box set'' unopened! of FFIX on psx along with Collectors Edition brand new unopened full colour Game guide. plus classics edition ffIX which i use to play this game. This truly is the greatest game of my childhood. i adore Zidane and vivi so much! to know this would be given a Pc debut would be the greatest news in gaming for me. I hope this does get it's well deserved entrance to the pc world for all us FFIX lovers to play once again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    Do you really think that there's a big enough market demand to warrant releasing FF9 or any other PS1 games on the PC? I didn't think so. If there was, it would have happened BACK when the games were new, not 15 years LATER when everyone's moved on.
    In this case, i think you are wrong. Especialy Now wehre PS3 and PS4 doesn`t suport PS1 and PS2 Games anymore. I think there would be a big market for ported PS1 and PS2 games, because a normal User likes as less devices as possible thats why they buy TVs with tripple Tuner in the first Place and especialy the whole Final Fantasy serie has a big Fancomunity.


    Ps: Sorry for my bad english, but my nativ language is German.

    MfG

    Zsadist91

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    Gee, thanks for making my argument for me:

    1.) PC Ports tend to suffer from crippling issues that the original game didn't have.
    2.) PC Ports tend not to sell as many units as the original game.
    3.) Nobody is willing to go through all the trouble of making a port that's just going to sell less.

    Durr, and emulators didn't exist back then. The emulators we DO have today are usually illegal bootlegs developed by unlicensed websites. And even those that ARE officially licensed can have slowdown or crash issues.

    The OP was asking for a release of FF9 on Steam, which is impossible. It's a PS1 game. Nobody ports PS1 games anymore. Where have you seen Steam selling emulated PS1 games? It only sells PC games and PC ports. That's why FF7 and FF8 are there: because they already had working PC ports developed back when the games were new. And Steam is owned by Valve. Valve would have to develop (or update) a platform to either run or emulate PS1 games first, THEN get the rights to sell other games from publishers, and FINALLY make sure that those games work correctly. Do you really think that there's a big enough market demand to warrant releasing FF9 or any other PS1 games on the PC? I didn't think so. If there was, it would have happened BACK when the games were new, not 15 years LATER when everyone's moved on.

    Oh by the way, you are wrong: FF8 and FF9 use the same engine. Same text font and color, same polygonal character models, same shadows, same menu system, and same music quality. I can't wait to see more!
    Dear god... I never knew someone could be so ignorant and stupid at the same time....

    PS4 cloud system enables and has been stated by Sony and gaikai cloud systems that they will have all-time favorites in the cloud even from PS1, 2, 3 and current and future gen games.

    Clearly I can see you lack any actual technological knowledge thus far from your posts. I shall speak from someone who does this for fun, to bridge the gap between even an atari 8 bit, or earlier game to new 2013 or even 2050 systems is as easy as making mac and cheese in a microwave. You think that something more recent such as a final fantasy 7, 8 or 9 game would be hard and impossible?

    You state that no one cares, that they moved on. I'm curious how so many copies still float around and people pick up, why the emulation market is currently the strongest its ever been. And just why, why is it steam selling 7 has been one of their most purchased games since its release, and continues to be one of its most purchased?

    Yeah, bugs happen. No one in the video game, technological, or any type of industry will ever say "this is bug free". Its how great a response team you have and how great they are at their job. Now please, sit down and stop trying to act like you have first hand experience at all coding, programming or really doing anything in the video game industry besides play the games. And stop trying to voice predictions too, opinions I respect.. trying to be a little know it all, when clearly you barely know how to wipe your rear.. just comes off as a condescending child who knows nothing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    I fear that's not the last of him, but, I applaud you for your sense of Irish Diplomacy, mr. Lokim23.

  13. #13
    As much as I would like a pc version of Final Fantasy 9 (especially if it reduced battle load times), I don't think it will happen.

  14. #14
    hope final fantasy IX will remake n release on steam........THIS game is my favorite game at all....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2
    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    No, it'll never happen.

    PS1 CPU architecture is completely different from PC. It's physically impossible to release the original game on Steam. Unless Valve somehow designs a new platform that can emulate PS1 games or licenses Steam to a next gen console, your thread is a pipe dream. FF7 and FF8 are only able to be re-released because they had PC ports developed alongside the original games years ago.
    ...wild though, could they just go and create PC ports with the original game? that seems somewhat easier then completely redoing the game in a different format...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    -PS1 games can be on steam, whatever the way they are run. I personnaly have "Sega Genesis & Megadrive version" on steam, it runs the megadrive Sonic through an Sega official emulator.
    Nobody ports PS1 games anymore.
    -Wrong, Square is relaunching previous FF with improve textures, means some market exist. 5 of my friends used this occasion to go through an old school run of Cloud's adventures.
    Oh by the way, you are wrong: FF8 and FF9 use the same engine
    -Unless you were on the development team you dont know about that. Development kits are improve from one version to another (See crysis went from Cryengine 1, 2 now 3.)

    I back up OP on his request. Got FF7&8 on steam, I would like to avoid starting an emulator to run the 9 (that i already have on PS1 ;-))

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    I would love to play this on my PC too. I only ever played it on my PS3 after purchasing it off the PSN, but never got to finish it. My console broke on me, and those are expensive! So to have this for PC would be really fun. I could play it for hours. And I would definitely buy it on release day.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    That would depend on how many people buy FFVII and FFVIII.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1
    After your original response to DarkTiamat's original full-of-himself (or herself) retort, i didn't even read the rest of the back and forth. I just wanted to comment that I have never seen anyone owned so hard, so publicly. Hats off to ninjabuntu 4

    And DarkTiamat, you're seriously a clueless fool that has no idea what you're talking about. A port of FF9 would be easy as hell. Considering it runs flawlessly on emulators that run on ANY PC (I've played through it on my last two PC's). Alas, I've already exceeded the amount of time that should be allotted to replying to such a foolish individual.

  20. #20
    with them releasing ff3 i think 9 is possibility and i really hope they do

  21. #21
    I'd buy Final Fantasy 9 in a heartbeat. I loved the game as a kid, still do! I still have the PS1 version and still play it, but I'd love it for my PC. I believe it's possible for it to be put on PC and I hope it happens because FFIV is my favorite FF game.

    I think it's possible for it to happen, but it may take a couple of years before it's decided. I hope not though. May the game be released on PC soon.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Originally Posted by DarkTiamatZERO
    Gee, thanks for making my argument for me:

    1.) PC Ports tend to suffer from crippling issues that the original game didn't have.
    2.) PC Ports tend not to sell as many units as the original game.
    3.) Nobody is willing to go through all the trouble of making a port that's just going to sell less.

    Durr, and emulators didn't exist back then. The emulators we DO have today are usually illegal bootlegs developed by unlicensed websites. And even those that ARE officially licensed can have slowdown or crash issues.

    The OP was asking for a release of FF9 on Steam, which is impossible. It's a PS1 game. Nobody ports PS1 games anymore. Where have you seen Steam selling emulated PS1 games? It only sells PC games and PC ports. That's why FF7 and FF8 are there: because they already had working PC ports developed back when the games were new. And Steam is owned by Valve. Valve would have to develop (or update) a platform to either run or emulate PS1 games first, THEN get the rights to sell other games from publishers, and FINALLY make sure that those games work correctly. Do you really think that there's a big enough market demand to warrant releasing FF9 or any other PS1 games on the PC? I didn't think so. If there was, it would have happened BACK when the games were new, not 15 years LATER when everyone's moved on.

    Oh by the way, you are wrong: FF8 and FF9 use the same engine. Same text font and color, same polygonal character models, same shadows, same menu system, and same music quality. I can't wait to see more!
    Although I agree with your argument, it still doesn't discount the fact that you're a douche.

  23. #23
    it is not impossible for ff9 to be put on pc/steam. Change or add a few codes and it'll work. The problem is Square Enix can't see a good enough $ profit for doing so, but they are blind as a bat.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1
    As you can all see, Final Fantasy III and IV are on Steam ported from 3DS and Final Fantasy XIII is in pre-order and today 2nd in the selling chart (yesterday evening 1st) and XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are also being ported! So, I think it's not so impossible to see IX, X and XII or even the oldest V and VI...maybe they understood these games are very interesting for pc users! =) =)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1
    FFIX for steam plys

Page 1 of 2 12 Last