Thread: Combat too easy, or does Lara need to get nerfed?

Combat too easy, or does Lara need to get nerfed?

Combat too easy, or does Lara need to get nerfed?

After playing my fifth or sixth campaign in ROTTR, I decided to play Tomb Raider 2013, again. I think this is going to be my first time playing TR2013 in the hardest combat difficulty.

Surprisingly, I think I died more in TR2013 than I did in ROTR Survivor Mode (Extreme Survivor does not count. In that mode, you're scared falling off a cliff more than anything). I was under the impression that doing the campaign mode in Tomb Raider 2013 shouldn't be that hard in the highest difficulty because I don't remember the enemy AI of that game being that great.

Then I died a DOZEN or so times in the campaign mode. Much more than what I normally experience in the ROTTR campaign mode (Survivor, mp3 ringtones).

Let's see...

1. Even if you don't have health regeneration in Survivor Mode, you have the HEAL button. It helps a lot if you have enough healing materials. If you have fast healing activated, even more beneficial.

2. Mushroom arrow makes Lara a Super Saiyan in ROTTR.

3. Even if you don't wanna use poison arrows...well, you can still VENOM HAND CANNON everyone.

4. And if you still think that pistol is tantamount to cheating, you can GOLDENFANG everyone.

5. And if you still don't wanna use GOLDENFANG because it's not good against swarming enemies, you still have a fully upgraded VOIDHAMMER.

6. And in the likelihood that you're closed to getting cornered, you can RUN AWAY and SPRINT.

Easy to say that I had way more fun in ROTTR than in 2013. Safe to say that Lara will keep these moves intact in the next Tomb Raider game, but this time, the enemies need to step up their game. But they should be programmed in a way that the game still feels fair.

I think Crystal Dynamics is sort of making an experiment with that on the ZOMBIES.

Okay, forget AI. I don't think a more competent AI will negate Lara's GOD-MODE here, but making a Zombie carry a grenade kinda killed the fun factor a bit.

I was playing CROFT MANOR ZOMBIE mode in SURVIVOR difficulty a few hours ago, and I wasn't able to finish it because at some point, a GRENADE CARRYING ZOMBIE will do a HARA-KIRI on me and that will restart the mission. This mode already disabled the use of the mountain axe to nerf Lara.

I am just curious as to how you want this to get BALANCED, without jeopardizing the FUN FACTOR. I'm not exactly sure if this issue can only be found on Tomb Raider, but are there other third person games that properly achieved a workaround on this?

Relax : instrumental ringtone, country ringtone
    Last edited by ngomaichi; 12th Dec 2016 at 03:43.