Thread: i'm new, lost and my game hates my pc. help?

i'm new, lost and my game hates my pc. help?

Hi there!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but the game I am interested in only has archives here.

I recently tried to play one of my favs, Startopia. As soon as it did nothing I remembered I have a prob with this game since I built this pc last year. I was forced to upgrade my windows to win 7. i chose home premium 64. my sims love it and my diablo loves it but not much else really.

When i load the cd and choose play.. it does nothing.
    When I double click the exe file on my hd... it does nothing.

Well actually it does something, somewhere, as my task manager suddenly hits 100% cpu usage and I have to reboot to do anything else as the thing bogs down to slower than a tortoise.

help?

other possibly useful info:
    my windows partition does not have internet access by default <my choice>
    i hate windows and really love my other partition which is linux lite 3.0 . If I could make my games run in the linux i would chuck the windows totally so if anyone knows how to make Startopia run in my linux I would gladly offer you my firstborn child

Thanks!

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode?

It was released a long time ago and that may solve the problem.

As for Linux, with a game this old, there is an outside chance that it may run under WINE.

I can't be sure if it will work as I have not tried it though it almost works with an equally old game, Project Eden.

It could be worthy a try.

Best of luck with it.
    Ham and Eggs - a days work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    signature image

Yes I have tried compatibility mode and it still didn't work. At least I think I have, I'll give it one more go just in case.

Having only been a linux user for the past year I still keep forgetting about WINE. Thanks for reminding me. I'll check into that.