Thread: requires help: programs, jobs, suggestion should do with my concepts.

requires help: programs, jobs, suggestion should do with my concepts.

I've been making game concepts with concepts are finished, but may change.

1.I need to make a dev build so i could test out the game mechanic, but I don't know which programs I should use. I thinking of going for c++ and, my friend said go for java, but i don't know if I could port the game with java.

2.Should I go indie or get hired?

3.any suggestion what i should do with my game concepts (edit) and any job suggestion?

Concepts i made so far: game mechanic, battle mechanic, world story/world.
    incomplete concepts: main story, character bio.

If you guys want to ask about what game concepts i've been making, I might need admin permission to let me to tell you but, also be off topic.
    Last edited by Brainzshake; 30th Apr 2016 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainzshake View Post
    I've been making game concepts with concepts are finished, but may change.

1.I need to make a dev build so i could test out the game mechanic, but I don't know which programs I should use. I thinking of going for c++ and, my friend said go for java, but i don't know if I could port the game with java.
    Hi and welcome! Excuse me for being a bit inquisitive but is there a particular reason you chose our forum to ask this question?

Ok, now, I'll try and answer your questions. I'm not a programmer I know the basics of visual basic .NET and I'm currently in my spare time following some c++ tutorials.

First you would need to choose a programming language. The language you choose will depend on a couple of factors, mainly which platform you will be targeting: Android, iOS, Windows, Linux,.... As far as game development is concerned the default language is c++. I believe c++ is quite portable to other platforms besides windows.

Aside from the language you pick you also need an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) or in better terms, the program you program in. For me personally the best around is Microsoft's Visual Studio 2015. They have a community edition which is free and comes with probably all the functionality you need.

So let's assume we're picking c++ as the programming language and Visual Studio as the IDE then there's the next bit.

If you are going to create games it will be easier if you use an existing game engine to create your game in. The standard these days is Unreal Engine 4 from Epic (which is completely free, if you make a commercial product it's possible they still want x percentage of the revenue so read up on that first). Unreal Engine works together with Visual Studio and uses C++ as the programming language.

Another engine that is used a lot is Unity. I believe it mainly uses the C# language.

Which language you choose, and which game engine you choose will probably largely depend on what kind of game you'll want to build. I have a very little bit of experience in Unreal Engine by following an online course and basically at first it's very overwhelming and you need to search around to actually get something done.

Now a very important question: do you have any programming experience?

If not I'd advise by starting out with an easier language than C++. The basics of programming languages are pretty much the same but I'd start with Visual Basic .NET. The advantage is that it's very verbose in the sense that if you want something done you can pretty much write it out as if you would in a sentence. It's also has a lot of in built functionality to make it easy to create basic Windows programs with a GUI. It can be used to make dynamic websites as well.

Visual Basic is not a language that is designed for programming games though. However in the past Microsoft offered the XNA framework which did offer that functionality. It has been discontinued and I'm not sure if you can even use it in the latest version of Visual Studio and how many resources are still available.

One major advantage I find that Visual Basic .NET offers is that it's easy to get a program out with a GUI. In other languages you will need to either create the GUI yourself are use a framework (such as Qt).

Another language that is often named as being for beginners is Python. I've looked at in the past but didn't really find it that easy to pick up. It may have changed after all these years though. Also it's different too Visual Basic and C++ as the code is not compiled but interpreted.

That's probably all I can offer regarding programming. I'll end with that personally I find programming is hard. If you are new to programming it will take time before you actually end up with something. If you look online for tutorials for say C++ what you will end up writing is usually simple console programs. So a DOS like program. That's why it's better to go with an available game engine such as Unreal or Unity as that should make building something easier.

2.Should I go indie or get hired?
    I suppose this depends on your skill level and experience a bit.

It's often said that the game industry is small group and it's very hard to get into. The old advice always used to be get noticed by making a mod to an existing game. Or help contribute to an existing (indie) project.

3.any suggestion what should i do with my game concepts (edit) and job suggestion?
    I'm not quite sure what your question is here?

If you guys want to ask about what game concepts i've been making, I might need admin permission to let me to tell you but, also be off topic.
    You are free to post your game concepts although if you haven't yet protyped them you may want to keep them to yourself a bit.

Hope this answers your questions a bit, again I'm not a (game)programmer maybe someone else around here has more answers. But you are probably more likely to find answers to your questions on the forums of the Unreal Engine and the Unity Engine.

I chose this forum to see if I get help with some turn base rpg mechanics in the future. but first I like to make a dev build and/or prototype.
    Thanks I'll try doing C++, I'll go experiment with it, and go to the unity and unreal forums for bigger help.

Edit: question can I reveal game name and some info of the game, but not revealing any concepts when I start or when making prototype?
    Last edited by Brainzshake; 30th Apr 2016 at 16:54.

Hi there,

I had quite some time in the last month and I tried both the combination Unreal Engine/C++ and Unity/C#.

As someone with only a little bit of programming experience and no experience whatsoever in making games I'm finding Unity much more (beginner) friendly than Unreal.

I'm currently following an online Unity course and it let's you create different types of games. After following one of the chapters you end up with an Arkanoid clone.

I found it pretty doable to follow the lessons and I also added some extras such as a special ball the does double damage, a brick which gives you a smaller paddle etc. This is what it looks like:
    http://gamebucket.io/game/b4d523f9-5...1-d582f3864ef8

Just sharing as it could be a course that could be of interest to you although it doesn't focus on RPG games. But it may help get you familiar with the tools.

It's wonderful. Thank you for sharing
    Friv20 Friv 2 Friv7 Friv8 Friv9