Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating 20 Years of an Icon, Lara Croft

Celebrating 20 Years of an Icon, Lara Croft

2016 marks an incredible milestone - 20 years of Tomb Raider. As announced today, Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix will mark the occasion with festivities throughout 2016, kicking off at PAX East this April.

“Since its introduction, Tomb Raider has held a significant place in video game history, and further cements that with this milestone,” said Ron Rosenberg, Co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “We look forward to celebrating with fans, and honoring the iconic Lara Croft with special events, retrospectives, giveaways and other surprises throughout this year of Tomb Raider.”

First making her debut in 1996 with the groundbreaking Tomb Raider from Core Design, famous archaeologist Lara Croft is a powerful force within the gaming industry and has made an indelible mark on virtually every facet of entertainment. From being named an ambassador for scientific excellence to appearing live on tour with U2, Lara Croft reached millions of people around the world. With over 30 video game titles released and hundreds of awards, the heroine has been a cultural icon for 20 years, rediscovering lost species, battling the undead, and rubbing elbows with divine beings all while adventuring around the globe. Her exploits have unfolded in over 25 countries. She’s explored the Mediterranean, Adriatic, and Andaman Seas, ventured to Antarctica and the Arctic Circle, and rediscovered Atlantis and the lost island of Yamatai.

“Tomb Raider has become a cultural phenomenon over the last 20 years, selling millions of copies worldwide, sparking one of the most successful video game film adaptations in history, and inspiring our amazing fans of all ages,” said Scot Amos, Co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “It’s incredible to be part of this legend and to see how much the series has evolved over time, and think about what’s yet to come. Here’s to 20 more years of adventure together.”

As part of the 20-year celebration, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have partnered with GameChanger Charity to provide donors with a free digital copy of Tomb Raider 2013 for every contribution made to the charity in excess of $1. Donors who contribute $20 will be entered to win a special Crystal Dynamics swag bag including a collector’s edition of Rise of The Tomb Raider, along with special items related to the series and its famed globetrotting explorer. A non-profit focused on improving the lives of children suffering from life-threatening diseases, GameChanger delivers video game gifts to hospitals, and provides financial support to deserving families.

PAX East attendees are invited to attend our panel – Lara Croft: The Undisputed Queen of Gaming – on Friday, April 22 from 3:00 – 4:00 PM. Panel participants will discuss how Lara Croft has made a permanent mark on virtually every facet of entertainment and helped break down barriers within the industry. From 4:30 – 5:30 PM, we invite Lara Croft and Tomb Raider cosplayers to join us in the PAX East lobby for a meet-up and photos, with exclusive 20th anniversary goodies given to those who attend in costume.

Excited about what’s in store for Tomb Raider this year? Start sharing your favorite franchise memories now by using #TombRaider20.

Fantastic! Will spread the word. Shame the digital copy is PC only though, and only US residents can enter the prize draw. Still a good cause to donate to.

Nice graphic too!

Looking forward to whats in store - Backward Compatibility? Remastered editions? Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Tecstar70; 29th Mar 2016 at 14:24.
    signature image

Oooh! Wonder what else they have in store over the coming months. Very worthy charity.

I wonder what date, if any, is being classed as the "Anniversary". it was first released on the Sega Saturn in Europe on 25th October 1996.
    signature image

Like I said earlier, I believe the 20th anniversary may have played a part in The Deal (I'm not criticizing, mind you) seeing how it would directly coincide with it a year later. I really think they intend to commemorate it in the marketing for the PS4 version later on, perhaps even stamp it with a "20th Anniversary Edition" tag on PS4. After all, it did come out on PS1 only a month later and has been a PS mainstay ever since.

It'll be interesting to see what else they have in store for the 20th anniversary of TR. Again, there's a good chance it'll be featured in the PS4 version's marketing.

I'm very anxious to see what Crystal Dynamics will create for the twentieth anniversary. Like KMan said, they could brand the PlayStation version with some sort of twentieth anniversary mark, but I'd still prefer something new, even if it's only a small anniversary patch for a game. Backwards compatibility for the Xbox One would be nice too though.
    Last edited by BearNymph; 30th Mar 2016 at 14:35. Reason: Punctuation Fixes

Hard to believe it's been 20 years already! I still remember playing TR1 for the first time like it was yesterday! Ahhh good memories!
    signature image

So in the spirit of the 20y anni, I was thinking it might be a nice idea to start a thread where we'd all share our fondest memories of the series. What do you guys think of the idea? Would you participate?

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    Hard to believe it's been 20 years already! I still remember playing TR1 for the first time like it was yesterday! Ahhh good memories!
    IKR? Doesn't seem like two entire decades! Crazy.

Once again, I missed the opportunity for PAX East. Tickets were already sold out by the time I attempted to purchase one, and during the 20 Year Anniversary as well? Double negative whammy.

I guess I'll be celebrating the festivities from home.
    signature image

I think it would be nice to see TR2013 join all previous TR games as a DRM free release.

TechStar, I didn't know that the Sega Saturn got an earlier release. I had always thought of TR as a PC game that got a later console release.

Quote Originally Posted by mechmouse View Post
    TechStar, I didn't know that the Sega Saturn got an earlier release. I had always thought of TR as a PC game that got a later console release.
    According to Wikipedia:

Release date(s)
    Sega Saturn
    EU 25 October 1996
    NA 14 November 1996

PC (MS-DOS), PlayStation
    NA 14 November 1996
    EU 22 November 1996

So yes, TR appeared for the first time ever on the Sega Saturn.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    According to Wikipedia:

Release date(s)
    Sega Saturn
    EU 25 October 1996
    NA 14 November 1996

PC (MS-DOS), PlayStation
    NA 14 November 1996
    EU 22 November 1996

So yes, TR appeared for the first time ever on the Sega Saturn.
    True, too bad the Saturn's colossal failure (or Sega's console failures in general) kept it from staying with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    So in the spirit of the 20y anni, I was thinking it might be a nice idea to start a thread where we'd all share our fondest memories of the series. What do you guys think of the idea? Would you participate?
    I can think of a story or two I haven't told yet about TR, yeah.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

I would love to see something done for the 20th Anniversary that reflects the 20 years including the CORE and LAU periods. The big disappointment would be if it is all just about the last 2/3 years than the 20.

Quote Originally Posted by mechmouse View Post
    Is true. I got TR1 on Saturn at launch before it came to PC. I only really got the Saturn for Sonic R but still kept it to this day just to play TR1 on.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Sure thing. Do you mean here or elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    I can think of a story or two I haven't told yet about TR, yeah.
    Cool. We'll set things up!

Quote Originally Posted by Error96_ View Post
    I would love to see something done for the 20th Anniversary that reflects the 20 years including the CORE and LAU periods. The big disappointment would be if it is all just about the last 2/3 years than the 20.
    Surely the classic outfit and braids in the logo's silhouette should give you an idea that we're all celebrating the entire series, not just the reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Error96_ View Post
    Sure thing. Do you mean here or elsewhere?
    Great. Yeah here in the TR10 section. We'll have a new dedicated thread up soon.

I see that the cosplayers are invited to a public rally. Though I wish SE had organized a commemorative photoshoot as a massive group (many being very famous specifically for cosplaying Lara), right along side the official spokemnodels from all the games past. What I had proposed 2 years ago.
    signature image

Damn, I feel old. Not many video game character outside of cartoon & fighting games characters like Mario in gaming can stand 20 years test of time, & still be kicking.

Is this for real? A book celebrating the games, written by Meagan Marie:

Celebrate 20 exciting years of Tomb Raider with this premium, hardcover tome!
    With stunning visuals and in-depth commentary, 20 Years of Tomb Raider explores the ground-breaking, rich, and diverse history of this iconic gaming franchise. Including...

Highlighting previously unpublished images and assets.

Packed full of information on the rich lore, iconic characters, epic fan community, and, of course, the games that started it all.

Exclusive interviews from Core Design, Crystal Dynamics, official voice actors, composers, live actions models, comic artists, and more.

An in-depth look at all the iconic games, with insights into unreleased titles.

Packed full of information on the rich lore, iconic characters, epic fan community, ground-breaking movies, popular comics, and, of course, the games that started it all.
    Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Is this for real? A book celebrating the games, written by Meagan Marie:

Amazon
    Would explain why she started a thread calling out for scans of old magazines with TR covers.
    signature image

So that's her last name.
    signature image

This url to a short movie that was meant to be shown at Tomb Raider 3's launch party was just shared on TRs twitter, anyone seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gitb97 View Post
    This url to a short movie that was meant to be shown at Tomb Raider 3's launch party was just shared on TRs twitter, anyone seen it?
    I watched it when I left PAX on Friday. Absolutely wonderful!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Gitb97 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Something NEW to do with the classics...AWESOME!!!
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

I'm of the mindset that there's an entire generation of Lara fans that probably haven't seen this, so I thought it'd be appropriate to bring it back. This is CORE's original preview of 'A.o.D.' that was an unlockable on 'TR: Chronicles'.

signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    I'm of the mindset that there's an entire generation of Lara fans that probably haven't seen this, so I thought it'd be appropriate to bring it back. This is CORE's original preview of 'A.o.D.' that was an unlockable on 'TR: Chronicles'.

I remember that. God, I love Angel of Darkness. I wish we could get a remake, or even a sequel.
    signature image

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast