Thread: FAQ: An Introduction to Expedition Modes: Cards, Credits, and Challenges

FAQ: An Introduction to Expedition Modes: Cards, Credits, and Challenges

Expeditions

Q: What are Expeditions?

A: Expeditions are additional modes of gameplay in Rise of the Tomb Raider. Each mode allows you to play “Expedition Cards” to modify your experience, and complete challenges for credits, which can be then used to acquire additional cards.

Q: What modes are available in Expeditions?

A: At launch, you’ll be able to play Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, Score Attack, and Remnant Resistance.

Cards

Q: What are Expedition Cards?

A: Generally speaking, cards are gameplay modifiers that can be applied to any Expedition mode. As we’ve mentioned before, cards generally fall under three categories: Some cards give the player an advantage, some make the game more challenging, and some cards are best described as “cheeky.”

Q: That’s pretty vague. Can you share more details?

A: Cards can be somewhat difficult to describe as a concept because we have many kinds of cards. Instead, let me give you a few examples:

• First Aid: The player’s regeneration is disabled, but can still use bandages to heal.
    • Gas Trap: Fallen enemies have a chance of exploding in a cloud of poisonous gas, killing their nearby allies
    • Grip: Press and hold the X button at the right time to grab and hold on to ledges. Too soon or too late and you’ll fall.
    • Recurve Bow V: Replaces the player’s equipped bow with a fully upgraded Recurve Bow.

That’s just a few of the hundreds of cards the player will be able to acquire.

Q: Are cards kept forever once I get them, or consumed when I use them?

A: It depends on the card! The majority of cards are consumed once you’ve completed a mode. Note that this is when you’ve completed the mode. If you’ve created a Score Attack mission that is too difficult to complete, and choose to quit, you won’t lose your cards.

Some cards are what we call “Foil Cards.” Foils are cards that are not consumed on use. All costume and weapon cards are foils to make sure Remnant Resistance players don’t have to worry about setting up player inventory. Additionally, many of the cards we believe will be the most popular with fans have both a consumable and a foil version, with the foil version being harder to acquire.

Q: How do I get cards?

A: Several ways! Let’s cover them:

1. Playing the campaign: As you make your way through the campaign’s story you’ll receive card packs after you complete certain chapters.
    2. Playing Expedition modes: As you reach milestones of challenges completed, Remnant Resistance missions completed, and Score Attack medals collected, you are gifted additional cards.
    3. Spending credits: Credits earned from Expedition modes are meant for purchasing additional cards. Credits can be used to buy any of the card packs in the store.
    4. Real money: For those of us that want those cards and want them now, most card packs can also be purchased with real world money.

Q: Do I need cards in order to play expedition modes?

A: Chapter Replay modes and Score Attack can be played without any cards at all, once you’ve unlocked levels. Remnant Resistance does require location and objective cards, several of which are provided when you start the game for the first time. At no time do we expect you to purchase cards (via credits or real money) before letting you play an expedition mode.

Q: Are there any cards that can only be acquired with real money or by buying the seasons pass? Is Big Head Mode gated behind a pay wall?

A: Cards associated with pre-order and DLC will only be available with their associated downloadable content. The Big Head Mode card is not a pre-order exclusive, and has a chance of showing up in any card pack.

Q: What is the difference between the different card packs?

A: At launch, the following packs are available to you:

• Bronze Pack: Five cards chosen at random. Only purchasable with credits.
    • Silver Pack: Five cards chosen at random, one of which is guaranteed to be of “Uncommon” rarity. Can be purchased with either credits or real money.
    • Gold Pack: Five cards chosen at random, one of which is guaranteed to be of “Rare” rarity. Can be purchased with either credits or real money.
    • Advantage Pack: Five cards chosen at random that give the player an edge. Purchasable with credits or money.
    • Challenge Pack: Five cards chosen at random that increase the difficulty for the player. Purchasable with credits or real money.
    • Wild Pack: Five cards chosen at random from the cards with the strangest effects. Purchasable with credits or real money.

None of the cards in any of these packs are exclusive to a pack. The Challenge, Advantage and Wild packs exist as filters to allow players to focus on the kinds of cards they’re most interested in. There are no card packs that can only be purchased with real money.

Credits

Q: You’ve mentioned credits a few times. What are credits?

A: Credits are your reward for playing Expeditions. Primarily they are used as a means of buying card packs.

Q: How do I get credits?

A: Oh, man. Here’s a bunch of ways:

• Expedition Challenges: In Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, and Score Attack, the player can select up to five challenges to attempt when selecting a chapter to play. Completing challenges results in a credit reward, the value of which is determined by the difficulty of the challenge.
    • Score Attack: As previously mentioned, if you score high enough in a game of Score Attack to earn a medal, you will earn credits based on which medal you earn.
    • Remnant Resistance: Playing and completing missions will earn you credits both for completing objectives and for entire missions.
    • Playing the campaign: Various activities such as challenges, finding relics, and story progression will gift players with additional credits.
    • Challenge Tombs: Completing challenge tombs while playing the campaign will earn you additional credits.
    • Backpacks: Similar to Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris’ canopic jars, when people on your friends list die they will occasionally leave a backpack where they fell. Finding one of these backpacks while playing campaign will net you some credits.
    • Playing other Square Enix games: Players who register as a Square Enix member will get credits for playing other games such as Life is Strange, Hitman and Tomb Raider.

This isn’t even a comprehensive list. There are a lot of ways to get credits. Seriously. It’s raining credits in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Challenges

Q: What are Expedition Challenges?

A: Challenges are an additional method of earning credits available to people playing Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, and Score Attack. Each chapter has a selection of challenges that can be selected, and the player can go into a session with up to five challenges active. Completing a challenge nets the player credits, with the amount of credits earned depending on the difficulty of the challenge.

Once a challenge is completed, a short period is required before a challenge can be repeated. If a challenge is failed, the challenge will remain available for another attempt and can even be attempted by restarting the chapter from the pause menu.

Q: When you guys talked about letting players compete with each other, what did you mean? Is there a competitive multiplayer mode?

A: There are no multiplayer modes in Rise of the Tomb Raider. However, there are ways in which you can face off against your friends and the Tomb Raider community:

• Score Attack: You can look at Score Attack leaderboards and see how your friends or the community have scored per chapter. You can bring up the details of a player’s performance, including their kills, deaths, and what cards they used. If you think you can do better than they did, you can challenge their score, which costs a small value of credits per card the player used. This way you can challenge your friends’ scores, even if you don’t have the cards they used.
    • Remnant Resistance: When a creator posts their Remnant Resistance challenge, their friends are able to play it. When you play someone else’s Remnant Resistance challenge, your score on their challenge is tracked, with the top 3 players being posted on the challenge. A week after the challenge was posted, the player with the highest score in that challenge is awarded credits and the challenge is removed.
    Last edited by MeaganMarie; 5th Nov 2015 at 03:47.

Thanks Meagan. Good to have some clarification on this!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post

• Real money: For those of us that want those cards and want them now, most card packs can also be purchased with real world money.

--->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    Yes, but it's only one way. There are plenty of opportunities in game and you are not compelled to pay out real cash them AT ALL.
    Just wanted to point that out now that line has been taken out of context of the original post!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Yes, but it's only one way. There are plenty of opportunities in game and you are not compelled to pay out real cash them AT ALL.
    Just wanted to point that out now that line has been taken out of context of the original post!
    Oh, I know. I read the whole post. I still can't get behind it and/or defend it tho.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Indeed. There are numerous opportunities to earn significant credits just by playing the game. The microtransactions are completely optional! I'm not defending the practice, but real money is hardly the be-all-end-all method.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Indeed. There are numerous opportunities to earn significant credits just by playing the game. The microtransactions are completely optional! I'm not defending the practice, but real money is hardly the be-all-end-all method.
    I'm aware. Again, I read the post. I'm not taking anything out of context, I'm highlighting one of the bullet points. You can earn them in game, yes, and evidently the card packs and credits are plentiful in game, and with all that known and in place then why even bother with having the real money option? There's only one answer to that. It is optional, yes, but the idea and driving force behind it remains. And frankly, it's disappointing to see CD or Square or whoever the hell made the call go down that road.

And it also raises the question: If you buy a card pack with real world money, are those cards expendable or are they the permanent fixtures? Maybe that's been answered already and I've just missed it, but we'll find out in a couple of days.
    signature image

This FAQ claims:
    If you’ve created a Score Attack mission that is too difficult to complete, and choose to quit, you won’t lose your cards.

But I've quit Score Attack couple of times today and noticed that I've lost all the cards I used.
    PC ver.

I think we should be allowed to use the stock weapons in Endurance Mode that came as community rewards as well as the ones that came with the pre-order packs. It seems very poorly functioning to have only 3 weapons to select from in Endurance Mode that allow such funcitonality (Goldenfang, Harbinger and Voidhammer) when others like Snowflake, Moon Shadow, Accipter Nox, Death's Breath etc. are nowhere to be found. Also, this pre-equipment removes the fun of collecting weapons in strongboxes - which is how weapon unlocking should be implemented anyways, that's for all weapons and not just the main campaign ones.

So either the capability to use DLC/reward stock weapon cards in Endurance Mode or as an alternative; having them all unlockable through strongboxes (once you find them all you just get XP from future ones) further extends your interest in continuing in the mode. I find it odd to say the least, so I'm hoping that the team takes this into consideration.

I would also suggest a feature for players to have a "Delete All Duplicate Cards" option when in the card selection panels. It's very tedious to go through each card manually and delete the duplicate cards of others, especially when you have foil cards. There should be more moderation and tweaking done to prevent this. It's cumbersome with the issue where currently you can't open pre-order packs as it claims your inventory is full. This is because when you erroneously have the foil cards that are supposed to be gated behind the pre-order packs, it won't unlock the pack because there's some sort of prevention there, meaning you can't even unlock the entire pack with outfit and all.

Hopefully this all gets fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post
    Expeditions

Q: What are Expeditions?

A: Expeditions are additional modes of gameplay in Rise of the Tomb Raider. Each mode allows you to play “Expedition Cards” to modify your experience, and complete challenges for credits, which can be then used to acquire additional cards.

Q: What modes are available in Expeditions?

A: At launch, you’ll be able to play Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, Score Attack, and Remnant Resistance.

Cards

Q: What are Expedition Cards?

A: Generally speaking, cards are gameplay modifiers that can be applied to any Expedition mode. As we’ve mentioned before, cards generally fall under three categories: Some cards give the player an advantage, some make the game more challenging, and some cards are best described as “cheeky.”

Q: That’s pretty vague. Can you share more details?

A: Cards can be somewhat difficult to describe as a concept because we have many kinds of cards. Instead, let me give you a few examples:

• First Aid: The player’s regeneration is disabled, but can still use bandages to heal.
    • Gas Trap: Fallen enemies have a chance of exploding in a cloud of poisonous gas, killing their nearby allies
    • Grip: Press and hold the X button at the right time to grab and hold on to ledges. Too soon or too late and you’ll fall.
    • Recurve Bow V: Replaces the player’s equipped bow with a fully upgraded Recurve Bow.

That’s just a few of the hundreds of cards the player will be able to acquire.

Q: Are cards kept forever once I get them, or consumed when I use them?

A: It depends on the card! The majority of cards are consumed once you’ve completed a mode. Note that this is when you’ve completed the mode. If you’ve created a Score Attack mission that is too difficult to complete, and choose to quit, you won’t lose your cards.

Some cards are what we call “Foil Cards.” Foils are cards that are not consumed on use. All costume and weapon cards are foils to make sure Remnant Resistance players don’t have to worry about setting up player inventory. Additionally, many of the cards we believe will be the most popular with fans have both a consumable and a foil version, with the foil version being harder to acquire.

1. Playing the campaign: As you make your way through the campaign’s story you’ll receive card packs after you complete certain chapters.
    2. Playing Expedition modes: As you reach milestones of challenges completed, Remnant Resistance missions completed, and Score Attack medals collected, you are gifted additional cards.
    3. Spending credits: Credits earned from Expedition modes are meant for purchasing additional cards. Credits can be used to buy any of the card packs in the store.
    4. Real money: For those of us that want those cards and want them now, most card packs can also be purchased with real world money.

Q: Do I need cards in order to play expedition modes?

A: Chapter Replay modes and Score Attack can be played without any cards at all, once you’ve unlocked levels. Remnant Resistance does require location and objective cards, several of which are provided when you start the game for the first time. At no time do we expect you to purchase cards (via credits or real money) before letting you play an expedition mode.

Q: Are there any cards that can only be acquired with real money or by buying the seasons pass? Is Big Head Mode gated behind a pay wall?

A: Cards associated with pre-order and DLC will only be available with their associated downloadable content. The Big Head Mode card is not a pre-order exclusive, and has a chance of showing up in any card pack.

Q: What is the difference between the different card packs?

A: At launch, the following packs are available to you:

• Bronze Pack: Five cards chosen at random. Only purchasable with credits.
    • Silver Pack: Five cards chosen at random, one of which is guaranteed to be of “Uncommon” rarity. Can be purchased with either credits or real money.
    • Gold Pack: Five cards chosen at random, one of which is guaranteed to be of “Rare” rarity. Can be purchased with either credits or real money.
    • Advantage Pack: Five cards chosen at random that give the player an edge. Purchasable with credits or money.
    • Challenge Pack: Five cards chosen at random that increase the difficulty for the player. Purchasable with credits or real money.
    • Wild Pack: Five cards chosen at random from the cards with the strangest effects. Purchasable with credits or real money.

None of the cards in any of these packs are exclusive to a pack. The Challenge, Advantage and Wild packs exist as filters to allow players to focus on the kinds of cards they’re most interested in. There are no card packs that can only be purchased with real money.

Credits

Q: You’ve mentioned credits a few times. What are credits?

A: Credits are your reward for playing Expeditions. Primarily they are used as a means of buying card packs.

Q: How do I get credits?

A: Oh, man. Here’s a bunch of ways:

• Expedition Challenges: In Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, and Score Attack, the player can select up to five challenges to attempt when selecting a chapter to play. Completing challenges results in a credit reward, the value of which is determined by the difficulty of the challenge.
    • Score Attack: As previously mentioned, if you score high enough in a game of Score Attack to earn a medal, you will earn credits based on which medal you earn.
    • Remnant Resistance: Playing and completing missions will earn you credits both for completing objectives and for entire missions.
    • Playing the campaign: Various activities such as challenges, finding relics, and story progression will gift players with additional credits.
    • Challenge Tombs: Completing challenge tombs while playing the campaign will earn you additional credits.
    • Backpacks: Similar to Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris’ canopic jars, when people on your friends list die they will occasionally leave a backpack where they fell. Finding one of these backpacks while playing campaign will net you some credits.
    • Playing other Square Enix games: Players who register as a Square Enix member will get credits for playing other games such as Life is Strange, Hitman and Tomb Raider.

This isn’t even a comprehensive list. There are a lot of ways to get credits. Seriously. It’s raining credits in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Challenges

Q: What are Expedition Challenges?

A: Challenges are an additional method of earning credits available to people playing Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, and Score Attack. Each chapter has a selection of challenges that can be selected, and the player can go into a session with up to five challenges active. Completing a challenge nets the player credits, with the amount of credits earned depending on the difficulty of the challenge.

Once a challenge is completed, a short period is required before a challenge can be repeated. If a challenge is failed, the challenge will remain available for another attempt and can even be attempted by restarting the chapter from the pause menu.

Q: When you guys talked about letting players compete with each other, what did you mean? Is there a competitive multiplayer mode?

A: There are no multiplayer modes in Rise of the Tomb Raider. However, there are ways in which you can face off against your friends and the Tomb Raider community:

• Score Attack: You can look at Score Attack leaderboards and see how your friends or the community have scored per chapter. You can bring up the details of a player’s performance, including their kills, deaths, and what cards they used. If you think you can do better than they did, you can challenge their score, which costs a small value of credits per card the player used. This way you can challenge your friends’ scores, even if you don’t have the cards they used.
    • Remnant Resistance: When a creator posts their Remnant Resistance challenge, their friends are able to play it. When you play someone else’s Remnant Resistance challenge, your score on their challenge is tracked, with the top 3 players being posted on the challenge. A week after the challenge was posted, the player with the highest score in that challenge is awarded credits and the challenge is removed.

Hi!i am really new to gaming ,therefore to understand score attack I've watched gamers on YouTube.
    I have discovered a glitch in outskirts of kitezh ...trebuchet is used on far right tower with deathless guys firing arrows etc then again to left,the middle tower subtitle came up telling us not to use the trebuchet as there is a chance of scoring limitless points by constantly firing your arrows at a shadow of a deathless warrior pops out constantly as if he's about to jump down is obviously a way to gain a massive score and misleads the leaderboards...I know glitches can be advantageous but really it's unfair that clearly the leaderboards are getting rigged!The score I saw was over 150.000
    Also after hours of searching online can someone please tell me if the Toxicity card =limitless poison arrows a rare four star expedition card is a foil card or is it only usable for one game.
    I absolutely love rottr and think all the additional docs and expedition modes are amazing...cannot wait until the next game comes out.
    Last edited by Angelinaindark787; 23rd Nov 2016 at 19:06.

new to this forum ....if I have a technical problem do I post where it prompts"quote,or quick reply"?or do I have to search the site for relevance .
    What has confused me is I've noted 10 replies to an issue I posted hopefully in the correct area?However I cannot find the replies anywhere....
    I have played numerous score attacks and got quite a lot of silver and bronze medals but after every play I'm not seeing them added on I'm currently on7 medals when it should be at least 10-14 more .....please Meagan could you sort this problem....credits are added immediately .Im really hope I'm posting in the right way I did click on rottr tech section.
    Thanks lots x

Quote Originally Posted by Angelinaindark787 View Post
    Also after hours of searching online can someone please tell me if the Toxicity card =limitless poison arrows a rare four star expedition card is a foil card or is it only usable for one game.
    It's a consumable card, meaning you will need to get another one after you use it. This is such a good card (crucial for Gold medals in combat heavy levels) there should have been a foil version for it, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelinaindark787 View Post
    I have played numerous score attacks and got quite a lot of silver and bronze medals but after every play I'm not seeing them added on I'm currently on7 medals when it should be at least 10-14 more
    It's not an issue, that's how it works. You can get up to three medals per level. If you get Gold on your first try, you'll gain 3 medals in your tally, but if you already have a Bronze on it, getting a Silver or Gold will only update it with the difference (ie 1 or 2 additional medals). You can't grind additional medals by repeating the same level over and over — same goes for challenges IIRC.