Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: E3 2015 General Chat Thread | OP updated June 25

E3 2015 General Chat Thread | OP updated June 25

See E3 2015 Ambassador Program Announcement here: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=156254

---

This thread will be your one-stop shop for all important E3 2015 information, assets, and your impressions. The OP will be regularly updated.

This thread will also have a much looser format than the Q&A and Demo threads, so feel free to post whatever you feel like sharing with the community here. Off Topic will be allowed to great extend - have fun!

Edit by Meagan:

If you want to keep up with all things CrystalD and Rise of the Tomb Raider, tune into the events below:

The E3 Ambassador Program

Read up on our E3 Ambassador Program for details on the attending community representatives, and join the forums to send questions for our devs their way.

Xbox E3 2015 Briefing: Monday, June 15, 9:30 A.M. PT

Tune in to see a first look at gameplay from Rise of the Tomb Raider during the Xbox E3 2015 Briefing. Stream it via Xbox.com or on the Xbox Live Events Player, on Xbox One or Xbox 360 consoles globally. You can also watch on Spike TV in the U.S. and Canada.

Xbox Daily - Live @E3: Tuesday, June 16, 4:00 P.M. PT

Rise of the Tomb Raider will get some Xbox Daily – Live @ E3 airtime on Tuesday, also streamed live on Xbox One, on Xbox.com (both on your desktop and on mobile), and on Xbox 360.

Square Enix Press Conference: Tuesday, June 16, 10 A.M. PST

Check in on CrystalD at the Square Enix Press Conference on Tuesday morning. Watch on Twitch or YouTube.

Square Enix Presents

We’re holding 30-minute Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft: Relic Run, and Tomb Raider community interviews during Square Enix’s annual show-floor production. Tweet us for a chance to ask your questions direct to the developers. Watch on Twitch or YouTube.

Live Shows

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the blog for daily updates and behind-the-scenes photos. We’ll also share details on when Rise of the Tomb Raider will appear on live shows with media partners.

Here’s to a great E3!

-------

Photos from our ambassador Patrick:

And a group photo of all the ambassadors:

(click image to enlarge)

-------
    E3 2015: Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay HD 1080p (Stream)

--------

New screenshots:

Community exclusive (i.e. not for the press) concept art piece.

---
    Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay Reveal

----

HQ screens from the reveal trailer:

http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/E3_Reveal/

----

Photos from our Ambassador Patrick at the XBOX press event:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hylden View Post
    You guys already have the full 1080p demo uploaded, but here's a few of my point of view from the event:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Extremely great event. Very, very loud, though. Hurt my ears

-------
    Rise of the Tomb Raider - Behind the Scenes E3 2015 HD

---------

more photos from our Ambassador:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hylden View Post
    Having seen the actual longer demo up close, I didn't see her looking like Camilla, but more a mix of Underworld's facial structure in there. It was a nice blend and a unique, stronger triangle-angled jaw and such. The animation is really well done. Tomorrow we'll get a better look that with even more to it tomorrow morning, and after that I can update my impressions in the other thread.

Just noting that I wouldn't worry about her looking too much like Camilla, but it is natural that her face movements would take on her characteristics in some poses.

So, here's another image dump for you, with some I didn't get to this morning and some from later on:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Holograms on our table -- the future is now:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

In addition to just loving every minute of things here, we also are being filmed on our journey. Post event interviews:

(click image to enlarge)

On the Buss B-roll:

(click image to enlarge)

From our dinner with the gracious CD staff, who some in the group also interviewed.

Brian and Noah interviewed:

(click image to enlarge)

Pic including most of CD's staff that wee there:

(click image to enlarge)

While outside waiting to enter the Microsoft Media Showcase, Meagan preps Jenn with some snow. It blew a bit in my eye taking this pic, so I can imagine it was much worse for them.

(click image to enlarge)

Admiring the Ice Luge and...

(click image to enlarge)

FIREBAAAAAAALLL!!

Heh, that guy really loved his work.

That's about all the annotation power I have in me. Must. Have. Sleep... We get to sleep in a bit more tomorrow, though, which is nice

-------

Noah Hughes – Official Forums Interview

Q: Is there an option to turn off hints, icons, and white ledges?

Noah Hughes: I know how much you guys aren’t fans of white ledges, but it is one of those things where on the main path we use it somewhat aggressively for players who aren’t that great at adventure games so they do not get completely lost and stuck. But we also try to be much lighter on the touch with those as you get into the secondary and optional exploration spaces. It is never any fun to jump at all kinds of things and not know what you can attach to and what you can’t attach to, so it’s always a matter of on the main path trying to avoid people flunking out too easily and off the path just making it clear what you can and can’t do, but it is a delicate balance.

(Two notes to add on this, as some of the recording for this did not carry over. My own impression in the demo, and agreed to by the group, is that there are some spots where the lighting is used smartly and naturally to make the "ledges" pop a bit, but it's not the overt white paint look from before. Many spots where the sun wasn't shining, for instance, did not appear to have a real extreme highlight to them. Also, the second part of this question was in regards to whether or not we can turn the hints off. Noah said yes we can )

Q: Will we have any playable flashbacks of Lara and Sam to help explain their friendship?

Noah Hughes: That’s a good question. We’re not revealing everything about the story, but I will say that Sam doesn’t play a significant part in this story. But you’ll have to wait and see how we use flashbacks and the like.

Q: Is it again only going to be dark-themed or are there some cheerful playable moments?

Noah Hughes: We always try to capture a variety of emotions. We do thrust Lara into intense life and death situations, but we also try to capture that sense of success and human relationships and other facets of storytelling. As an example, one of my favorite moments in the last game was Lara climbing the radio tower and that sense of victory and success, and you really felt connected to Lara and the other survivors in that moment. So we’re always trying to create those moments for the player, especially in game and on the sticks and not just in cinematics.

Q: When can you announce the release for other platforms?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately we don’t have any details that we can talk about related to other platforms.

Q: Will the main theme stay the same?

Noah Hughes: This is a standalone story so you can start at the beginning of this story and understand everything about it but we also tried to create through-lines between the two. As an example, in the last game Lara glimpses the immortal queen but before she can really understand what it represents it slips through her fingers and she can’t explain what she saw. But she recognizes that it’s important and if this myth is true then other myths might be true. So we really have Lara pursuing some validation that this is not just a myth but an underlying truth about humanity. So that’s one of the through-lines that carries from the last game to this game.

The other thing is Lara’s arc as a character...it’s a new place in the arc but it is a continuation of her journey. So the idea that she was forged into a survivor and what we wanted to do more than anything this time was show how those survival skills weren’t just incidental to tomb raiding, but they were actually critical to tomb raiding. The secrets of the world are hidden in the most hostile and remote locations on earth, otherwise they would have already been found and it really takes someone like Lara with all of her survival skills in order to uncover them.

So we have a lot of thematic continuity between the games, but also it is an exciting new adventure that stands on its own.

Q: Will Lara’s new range of outfits affect Lara and her abilities?

Noah Hughes: Outfits for the most part have aesthetic functions in the game allowing players to express their vision for Lara. The skills allow you to choose what you’re upgrading and what skills you’re buying, and the outfits allow you to express your aesthetics. But I will say that we may be introducing some amount of gameplay effects to some outfits so that is something that we’re looking at.

Q: Are we going to see dual pistols in this game or the next?

Noah Hughes: Ah, the dual pistols...I think it’s fair to say it’s probably a bit spoilery to get into it one way or another. But we do recognize the anticipation for Lara and everything people love about her as an icon so we are trying to bring back some of those things people love but you’ll have to wait and see what they are.

Q: Will the player lose themselves exploring the world you crafted?

Noah Hughes: That’s actually an important one since that was a creative goal I gave when we talked about larger spaces. Part of that’s fun because it’s next-gen platform and we can say, “Hey, now spaces can be bigger!” but we don’t want bigger for bigger’s sake. Part of why we want bigger is the sense that you’re immersed in this environment and it’s big enough that you can actually get lost a little bit. It adds a whole different feeling. So for us we blend very linear exciting roller coaster ride-style gameplay but when you plop into this HUBs they can be overwhelming and you can even get lost in them, and that adds to the sense of immersion and being plunged into this hostile and alien landscape.

But part of what’s important is that once you start to acquire gear and start to be able to unlock all these things that you couldn’t initially interact with, your proficiency in that space then becomes a measure of your success. So in some ways the scale of HUBs really are just scaling up that environmental opponent that we love in the game.

Q: From what I saw, Lara’s emotional state just pulls in the player even more, probably.

Noah Hughes: Yeah and we not only tried to thrust the player into this variety of emotional experiences, both highs and lows, but we tried to make sure that Lara as a character feels grounded in that moment. I think that’s one of the things we get feedback quite often is that one of the things people love about game is Lara almost feels alive. That she feels more human and real than a lot of game avatars and part of that is just connected with the world -- you see her placing her hands on things that make you feel like she knows where she is. But a lot of its emotional state too, when she’s walking through a scary area and you kind of spin the camera around and you see that nervousness on Lara’s face it really does connect Lara and the player to the experience they’re having.

Q: Are you planning on creating an actual boss fight this time?

Noah Hughes: Well I don’t want to speak too soon, I guess people will have to judge for themselves whether it’s a true boss fight or not, because it sounds like there’s some criteria that I may not be aware of. But it is important to have climax to our combat challenges and those do express themselves in boss fights but again they’re not really the most important opponent in the game. We really do blend the environment itself as a character and an enemy but ultimately that can’t test your combat skills in the same way enemies and bosses do, and a lot of what we try to do is not necessarily make the end all be all of single bosses but we really try to over time introduce new enemy archetypes that keep the player having to learn new skills to overcome what they’re facing. And also not just human enemies but even things like the bear that we saw in the demo. These might not qualify as a full boss fight but along the journey you see these spikes of intensity that really test your mettle, and that goes from the first bear fight all the way to the end of the game.

Q: Will there be an expert difficulty that pushes the player more than the regular hard difficulty?

Noah Hughes: I don’t think I can talk about actual specifics but one of the things I was very adamant about this time was to introduce a skill difficulty level that did push the players farther than any difficulty level in the last game. So we do have that fourth difficulty level and we’ll be sharing more news about it in the future.

Q: Will silent takedowns or sneaking be possible at all in combat scenes or will Lara still be confronted by hundreds of enemies at once like in the Shanty Town?

Noah Hughes: There are still some ambush situations where the enemies are very aware of Lara and her position and so in these situations she is forced to fight, but one of the things we’ve done as a vision for making the combat most appropriate to Lara as a character, and for some of our audience who likes to not just win through twitch skill but win through intelligence and resourcefulness, is pre-combat when you come upon enemies who aren’t aware of you. And so we tried to create more situations where Lara is able to initiate combat on her own terms or even in some cases avoid combat entirely, and also give you more tools to use in those situations. So a lot of her crafting skills will reward players who assess the environment first and then they can take things that they collected in the environment and use them to modify things in the environment. So for example we have the gas can in the Bear Valley demo which Lara can combine with cloth to turn into a giant molotov bomb. And that’s just an example of not only creating that moment where players can initiate combat, but give them more ways to do that.

Also we saw trees and swimming, and another cool thing about them is they add traversal and exploration to the game, but they also add opportunities for concealment from the enemies and then silent takedowns. So actually one of my very favorite things in the game is to be underwater and do a silent takedown from within the water, and that feels super empowering.

Q: Will we be able to play as other characters in the game?

Noah Hughes: We don’t have anything to announce as it relates to that.

Q: Because of the outcry for not releasing the game on other platforms, will we get some compensation like all DLCs?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately I still can’t announce anything as it relates to other platforms, but I understand the question and I sympathize with the situation.

Q: Alongside the expanded set of animal enemies, will there be a wider variety of human enemies?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we have a variety of enemies. A lot of what we tried to do was focus on gameplay functions of the enemies, so we do try to make sure that their behavior and their weapons and their armor really challenge the player to confront them in different ways. And we do try to push the personalities to a broad variety of enemy types. You’ll see lower ranked enemies behaving a little differently than higher ranked enemies, almost similar to the scavengers in the last game. So we still try to tease out that personality and that humanity, but a lot of the time with enemies it’s about evoking different gameplay challenges.

Having said that we do have other characters in the game so I’m excited to share more about that in the future.

Q: Will the much-loved and missed classic outfit make a return, either story-related or as an unlockable?

Noah Hughes: I’m not sure but I’ll take that as a request.

Q: What sort of improvements have you made to Lara’s hair?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we actually did push the hair. As you know, Lara’s fidelity as a character is important to us and that includes most notably her new facial animation system that we’re doing which I think is getting a lot better at capturing that human emotion. At times I can even see some of Camilla’s idiosyncrasies coming through but most importantly you see emotion coming through. When Lara’s passionate her eyes almost light up, which is just amazing.

And then the hair’s the other part of it. It’s part of her as a character and I think we’re starting to get somewhere with it that it really adds a lot to the animation the fact that it does simulate physically and really adds a certain amount of dynamics. But I think that’s the other great thing about it -- Lara moves and her hair moves and we have more on things on her outfit like her axes and things on her belt, so we really do try to bring the character to life through secondary motion.

Q: How many locations are there?

Noah Hughes: There are the two main locations. So there may be another location or two featured in cinematics, but in gameplay we’re focusing on the Siberia location and Syria. Having said that, the Siberian location is much more varied in its area types than we’ve seen so far, so it’s important to realize that just as with the island we really tried to push a variety of environments. You can expect to uncover new hidden pockets of Siberia that are really going to push the environmental variety.

Q: Will the platforming sections in Rise be less automated and scripted than the previous game? Will the platforming be more challenging as the game progresses?

Noah Hughes: We’re not going to change things entirely. We’re also sensitive to times where it feels like you should have missed a jump and the game makes you make the jump, that that does diminish my skill as a player. Having said that we don’t like the platforming to feel too finicky or frustrating and so it is a balancing act, but we are sensitive to minimizing the automation in the platforming. Also we have tried to introduce more challenge. As a team we asked, “Can we have Lara die more from non-combat situations than she did in the last game?” So we brought back traps and things like that as well as platforming challenge. So we do hope that the environment itself is challenging your skills as a player.

Q: Will there be a lot--like 15 minimum--different outfits and color schemes to choose from?

Noah Hughes: I think it is something we value so we’re going to get as many as we can. I would assume we’re going to get more than the last game but we don’t have any numbers to announce.

Q: Will the environment be more complex this time around?

Noah Hughes: I think some things have made the environment more complex. We talked about scale and being able to get lost a little bit and that does add some complexity to just navigating the larger Hub spaces, but also it’s great to have things like the trees and swimming because not only can you jump from platform to platform and climb ledges, but you have to start thinking, “Oh, where can I get if I climb this tree or if I go into that water what am I gonna find?”

So it does sort of expand the layers of exploration that you have in a given space. So hopefully people will feel that there is more explanation packed into any given space, especially given the scale.

Q: Will she need to eat or drink?

Noah Hughes: No specifics as it relates to that. As you know we really do push the action side of survival action, but we also are very compelled by being stranded and doing everything you can to survive through collecting resources and things like that so it’s an interesting balancing act. It’s not a critical part of the game at all, no.

Q: Will there be physical damages and such evident on Lara?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we have a lot of goals to make Lara feel grounded in the environment and one of those is just how the environment affects her. So when she’s in the snow you’ll see snow on her clothes and in her hair and she’ll shiver and when she gets wet her clothes will get wet and when she gets damaged she’ll show damage on the character. Even just rolling around in the dirt she’ll get dirty, then when you get in the water she’ll get cleaned off. It’s very subtle and it’s not critical to the gameplay, but it’s part of what again makes her feel a little more real and connected to the experience.

Q: Will there be a downloadable demo of the game?

Noah Hughes: Again, I don’t think I can announce anything relating to that.

Q: Will North America be getting a physical edition for the PC?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately we have no additional platform announcements.

Q: Will finding artifacts and relics return?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, artifacts and relics do return, as well as documents. And of the things we included this time is the language system so not only are you getting sort of completionist rewards as well as secondary narrative and backstory, you also advance your language skill which allows you to translate certain things in the environment. So, it is something we love as an exploration reward and it’s something we’ve sort of pushed farther with the language system.

-----------

Ambassador Group Interview with Noah Hughes

Q: Can we expect any nods to classic games as Lara becomes a Tomb Raider?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, one of the things we always try to do is evoke elements of the classics and that comes in more abstract and more literal ways. Probably my favorite of the general themes is really just tombs and trying to evoke those same feelings you’d get in the classic games when you’d come into these giant vertical spaces and really wonder how you’re going to get through them. So for me a lot of it is just that feeling that you got in classic games and just trying to really conjure that same sense of awe-inspiring discovery. We also try to find ways to evoke the classic games a little more literally but with that I think it’s probably a little spoilery, so I will say that we have tried to evoke not just those feelings but actually gesture at some of the classic things from Lara’s history. Even the bear I remember going to toe to toe with the bear in the first game which was really memorable for me, so even things like the bear are an important part of the survival ecosystem but they also have that nostalgic flavor to me.

Q: Will there be a multiplayer mode?

Noah Hughes: Well we don’t have anything to announce in terms of multiplayer, but certainly we heard feedback from the last game and so as always we try to distill any feedback we get and make sure whatever we do, we’re informing it with what people would like to see.

Q: Will there be any kind of summary of the comics and books?

Noah Hughes: That’s a good suggestion. We currently have set out to make a story that does stand alone so we don’t want people to be confused if they haven’t read the comics or book. But at the same time it does add a certain amount of understanding about Lara’s character and what she’s been through between the two games, so even if we don’t include it on the disc, I think it is something that adds to the experience. But we are committed to making sure people don’t feel left out if they haven’t experienced all of them.

Q: Will it be possible to combine equipment to create new equipment or gain new attributes?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we definitely have more equipment that for Lara in this game and in some cases that equipment sort of progresses over the course of the game. So in that example she takes her climbing axe and is able to use it in new ways, and one of the most important things about that is then she is able to get to areas in the world that she wasn’t previously able to. So one of the things that we like is coming back to hub spaces that you’ve been to before and making sure that that new gear is making it increasingly fun to get around, but also giving you access to more and more things within the world. So gear is still a very important part of the game and we have some new gear to introduce.

Q: Are there vehicles?

Noah Hughes: We don’t have anything to talk about as it relates to vehicles. A lot of what we do focus on is Lara’s traversal mechanics - the platforming and the gear is something that’s really important to us, so that’s certainly the primary mechanic set that we wanted to focus on this time around. But we wanted to expand it, so for example swimming is a new way for Lara to traverse even when she may not have a vehicle. So for us it’s sometimes more interesting to give Lara new mechanics, new skills, and new ways to get around.

Q: Will there be any hand-to-hand combat?

Noah Hughes: There are some additions to Lara’s close quarters combat move set, but we do feel like it becomes a bit of a different game, and in some ways becomes a little bit out of character, when hand-to-hand combat becomes your primary means of interacting. So in a lot of cases it is a last resort to some extent. Lara tends to take advantage of her bow obviously and she can use her axe in close combat, but it hasn’t been a focus of combat evolution. Instead we’ve tried to give more ways for players to use the environment and especially in the context of stealth and pre-combat, and we feel it’s in character to give Lara that resourcefulness and that intelligent approach to combat, and the ability to use her bow as a star and give the bow new mechanics. So yes there’s been some slight enhancements but it’s not necessarily the focus of Lara style combat for us.

Q: Will we see the dual pistols, the ponytail, the swan dive, and more familiar elements make a comeback?

Noah Hughes: We have some small details that make a reappearance, but in a lot of ways it’s more those thematic elements. It’s the tomb feelings and a lot of those aspects. Having said that, there may be at least one of those things in that list that makes an appearance, so I’ll let you guys figure that out.

Q: A lot of people want to know more about the final boss.

Noah Hughes: Spoiler alert! [laughs] Yeah, we do have bosses in the game, and on a smaller scale we even think of the first bear as a mini boss encounter and those sort of escalate between human and animal enemies. We do have a final climax at the end that may qualify as a boss fight, but for us it’s more about creating a memorable experience that allows you to test all of the skills that you’ve gained over the course of the game and ultimately feel that sense of accomplishment. And there is a narrative showdown between you and the main antagonist in the game.

Q: What can we expect in terms of the graphics engine over the Definite Edition?

Noah Hughes: The Definitive Edition was a great opportunity to push the content we had made with some of the resolution and performance of the hardware, but it also allowed us to understand how to make better content from the beginning as well as enhance our engine to take advantage of that hardware. This time around I think even if you played the Definitive Edition on the Xbox One that even though it’s the same platform you’re going to see a notable improvement. Some of my favorite things are Lara’s facial animation, and I think she really is coming to life and more importantly showing her emotion in ways she hasn’t in the past.

I think also even just things like her hair are great, and for her to have all that secondary motion - as she moves all the things on her outfit are jingling around. But also gameplay benefits as well, as with the scale of the hub spaces. One of the things that’s interesting about that, as spaces get bigger you can actually sort of get lost in them, and talking about evoking some of those classic Tomb Raider feelings, that is part of it. I remember almost being panicked, like, “Oh my gosh, I don’t know where to go!” and so I do think even just scale adds a certain amount of feeling that we couldn’t evoke in the small-scale environments.

And then just little things, like the snow and Lara’s ability to make trails in the snow or get snow on her. There’s any number of things both gameplay-wise and aesthetics-wise that I think we’ve been able to do because we were making it for the hardware, and Microsoft’s been really good about giving us the geniuses behind their hardware, and we can send them code and they can profile it and instead of pulling back on the aspiration they really figure out how to get the system to do that for us.

Q: Will there be any paid DLC?

Noah Hughes: I think that is a common request that we very much take to heart, but we don’t have any announcements for PDLC. It is something that like you said we want to provide to allow players to continue to play in the world and that starts with just the on-disc replay. As soon as you’re done with the story, chances are there’s quite a bit more to do in the world. But then we recognize that beyond that it would be great to have more fun in the game so we’ll look at ways to do that.

Q: Did you have Rise’s story in mind before developing it?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we had on a couple levels. So one is trying to understand Lara’s arc as a character that we had a very broad strokes understanding of where she would go after the first game. And so there were some facets of character arc that we were excited to do after this game, and then beyond that I think you get inspiration for things that worked well in the first game so before you even finish you start to imagine what you could do. So you not only have this broad sense of where Lara would go, but in the end we don’t know the details like what exact location she is gonna go, or who the bad guys are, but it helps to have sort of a broad strokes sense of Lara’s journey as a character.

Q: How did you choose the location, and why the myth of Kitezh?

Noah Hughes: That’s a great question. We choose our locations based on a lot of different facets, but one of them is very much the myths and inspirations that we can take for the actual tomb raiding that Lara is going to do. And in particular when we did find the myth about Kitezh, this idea of a lost city but not just lost, but the idea that it sank beneath a lake, was captivating to us and there were some great themes in the story. But for the most part it also becomes a decision about location and what types of environments we want to explore, and making sure we’re taking Lara to different places. So it becomes a combination of being inspired by the myth as well as the terrain, and situations that we can experience, but I think it was a very fertile land for both.

Q: Does it matter what order you do side missions in and can Lara influence the day-to-day lives of NPCs?

Noah Hughes: Well I don’t think we are talking much about the NPCs and generally as a game we do find it difficult to express changes in the narrative flow based on the player's actions. But at the same time what we try to do is express a lot of playstyle advantages to how you play, and there may or may not be some secondary effects. But for the most part, the main story will play out. A lot of what you’re allowed to do is sort of tell your own stories on the side. So in some ways, I kind of think of it like a tree where the trunk is the main story, but when you get out on to the branches and leaves you really do feel like you’re progressing your own story, and we tried to involve more characters in that as well. We do try to make sure that’s a narrative backdrop for a lot of the secondary stuff that you do, but again that sort of becomes the story that you tell along the way.

Q: Will Jason Graves be returning? Will the soundtrack be released on a CD or vinyl for collectors?

Noah Hughes: Again I think that is one of those questions that we…

Meagan Marie: Jason has actually said publicly that he is not involved. But we don’t have any announcement for who the new composer is. I’m sure we’ll blow it out when we do. I think that the answer to that is we know how much fan loves music, and that you guys loved the CD last time, so I would expect we’ll do something very similar. That’s not a formal announcement, but we’re definitely looking into options and we’ll let you know as soon as we have details.

Noah Hughes: I should clarify then in that context that I really enjoyed working with Jason and I think we’d enjoy working together again, so it was something where we very much respected each other’s work. This was more a decision about this game being an evolution of the last game, and really trying to capture a new personality, so part of it was saying from the ground up that if we want to score this experience, how can we best show this transition in Lara’s character?

Q: Will Jason’s theme come back?

Noah Hughes: Yeah that is fair to say that we really loved the theme work that Jason helped us establish with the reboot, and so we like themes as a style of scoring the game. We try to make sure those themes take on the tone and emotion of the moment so they are very portable but we do work with common themes to help get that sense of identity.

Q: Will TressFx be applied to other characters in the game?

Noah Hughes: That’s a good question. We do focus on Lara’s hair and TressFx for anyone who tried to played the last game on an old PC, knows that hair simulation is pretty greedy as it relates to performance, so we do have to be modest to how much we apply that to other characters. But we do try to make appropriate hair styles where that doesn’t become a noticeable shortcoming. and it really is Lara’s long hair that begs for that simulation the most.

Q: Once Darrell Gallagher said “forget everything you know about Tomb Raider. I know that there are many forms of retaining the spirit of tomb raider to respect the spirit of what came before, while going new directions. After all of it, what should remain?

Noah Hughes: The shortest answer is Lara and who she represents, and the reality is that we didn’t throw everything out. It was a mental exercise to basically strip the franchise back to its very core but ultimately rebuild it with the same sensibilities and intentions and I think for me that becomes an expression of Lara’s adventure. As a character, she’s a brilliant archaeologist, she’s athletic in traversal, she’s competent in combat now, but most importantly she’s this driven explorer and discoverer and a lot of that embodies what’s great about action adventure games, and so we kind of took these two ideas of Lara Croft and everything she represents and what is fun to do in an action adventure game and we rebuilt with those same ideas our new vision for it. So it’s really a combination of being willing to put everything aside, but trying to put something together that’s a modern expression of everything that you did love about those classic games.

Good question, by the way.

Q: Are we going to see Lara’s apartment in Rise of the Tomb Raider, or be able to play in her apartment?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately we’re trying to not necessarily speak to everything you’ll do outside of the demo content. Mainly I can expand on what we’re showing right now. But it was fun to work on Lara’s apartment and showing her personality in different ways, and get inside Lara’s head by understanding what her desk looks like and things like that.

Q: What is driving Lara this time around?

Noah Hughes: That’s a good question. We could play a whole game’s story to answer it fully, but to summarize we probably start with trying to get into Lara’s head after the last adventure. She glimpsed something supernatural that she couldn’t explain but she believed it was real, however she came back to a world that didn’t believe it was real. So she suffered a certain amount of trauma on the island but probably the hardest thing about coming back to normal life was trying to get that out of her head -- that idea that if this myth was real what else could be real? And she started to begin to realize that her place in this world isn’t just digging up pots and relics and things, but she really felt that there were truths lost to humanity that were buried in these secret places around the world. If something like immortality was real it could make a difference, so you have a character that is both out of place in her world in search of an identity, but ultimately fueled by a passion to understand and discover and make that difference in ways she never thought she could. So we get deeper into Lara’s past to understand where that hunger comes from, so it’s actually a fun part of the storytelling this time around.

Another good question!

Q: How will transitioning between locations work as relates to fast travel?

Noah Hughes: It is important for us to allow players to replay areas for completion’s sake, but certain mechanics sometimes make that travel not available. So you won’t necessarily be able to freely travel between every location, but we will provide fast travel for players to strive to be completionists.

Q: What percentage is the action adventure versus puzzles?

Noah Hughes: Percentage is always a hard thing to give but generally we’ve tried to maintain a similar balance to the last game with a few major adjustments. The most important adjustment is more tombs on the main story path along with challenge tombs in the world that are truly ancient spaces. Puzzles being a big part of tombs so I’m hoping there’s a bit more classic tomb raiding in there.

The second facet would be as it relates to combat style. I know some people would like if there was a lot less combat but certainly it is an important part of our pacing and mechanic set, and so we’ve tried to provide more ways for Lara to engage and sometimes be able to not engage in combat. When she does, there’s more opportunities to be clever and resourceful and win because she’s outsmarting her opponents instead of just outshooting opponents. So it’s not entirely a different mix from the last game, but I think those were two pieces of feedback we got especially from the fans. As you know I’m always trying to broker a peace between some of our classic sensibilities and some of the more mass market pacing requirements and stuff, but I do think we have dialed the knobs a bit to try and cater to that.

Q: Are there difficulty settings and will they affect puzzles at all?

Noah Hughes: Yes there are difficulty settings in the game but it’s very hard for them to affect the puzzles specifically, so one of the ways we choose to address that is to put some of the harder puzzles off the main path in some of the challenge tombs. So if you like harder puzzles you’re going to seek out the challenge tombs.

Having said that it does affect resources, so one of the things that does is asks you to play a bit more carefully. When we talk about smart resourceful Lara, that’s not necessarily just puzzle solving but it's also catering to succeeding by out-thinking rather than out-twitching.

Q: Do the actions you take have a persistent impact on the game?

Noah Hughes: Yes, there will be some reflections of things you do in the world. We try to make sure there’s a certain persistence to the world so those things that you can do in different orders is generally respected across the game.

Q: Will Rise of the Tomb Raider be harder than the previous game?

Noah Hughes: The goal is to allow players to use difficulty settings to make it harder, but we’re pushing to make the hardest difficulty setting a greater challenge by a decent amount than the last game. The normal setting is really about finding that sweet spot where the majority of our audience can really enjoy it, but for a lot of us--myself included--I like a greater degree of challenge, so we’re trying to make sure the game is challenging even hardcore players at those higher settings.

Q: Will Jonah be with Lara during the whole game?

Noah Hughes: We don’t have any specific details on other characters, but we do focus on Jonah as the main Yamatai survivor featured in this story. As you saw in Bear Valley, Lara gets separated from Jonah. You will see him later in the game but at the same time we create these periods of separation to get back to some of those Tomb Raider flavors like isolation and Lara’s independence as a character. Having said that, human interaction is something that really allows you to understand a personality a lot more, and we create large periods of separation from the other characters, but it’s great to see Lara’s relationship with Jonah and he’s featured various times throughout the game.

Q: Now that Lara can swim will we see more of her acrobatics like the swan dive?

Noah Hughes: No specifics for anything we didn’t see today, sorry.

Q: How do the things that happened to Lara on Yamatai affect Lara in-game?

Noah Hughes: We learn a little about what Lara was going through, but in a lot of ways that state of mind plays into Lara’s motivation, the idea that it’s not just coping with the trauma of the event but her whole belief system was turned upside down. The idea that things exist in this world that she can’t explain and she came back into a world that questioned what she saw and doesn’t believe her and so she feels unable to fulfill something important, and so we do see her state of mind play into that a bit.

------------

Big collection of photos of E3 by ambassador Patrick:

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...26#post2133026

-------

Day-to-day travel logs by E3 Ambassador Brandon of his visit to LA:

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...86#post2134286
    Last edited by Driber; 25th Jun 2015 at 20:09. Reason: update.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Ooh, this will be a great spot to ''strike'' my wishlist

* = Priority one

EA
    Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered confirmation*
    Mass Effect 4 cinematic trailer*
    Information about new BioWare IP
    Dragon Age: Inquisition - Ultimate Edition confirmation
    Dragon Age: Inquisition 2 confirmation
    Star Wars Knights 3 confirmation
    Visceral single player Star Wars game confirmation*
    Dead Space 4 confirmation

Sony
    Ratchet & Clank '16 Game Trailer*
    Uncharted 4 trailer*
    Uncharted Trilogy Remastered confirmation
    Sly 5 confirmation
    Alien: Isolation 2 (or other Alien-universe game) confirmation
    Hellblade trailer

Nintendo
    StarFox '15 trailer*
    Metroid: Other M-style game confirmation (New Metroid confirmed, but it could have had any name. Not what I'd hoped)

Square Enix
    Rise of the Tomb Raider (gameplay) trailer*
    Life is Strange (full game) hardcopy release

Microsoft
    Last edited by AdeleDazeem; 17th Jun 2015 at 10:15.

''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.'' - Camilla Luddington

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleDazeem View Post
    Ooh, this will be a great spot to ''strike'' my wishlist

Square Enix
    Life is Strange (full game) hardcopy release
    I will be picking up Life Is Strange once the full series is out. I played the demo and though it was great. I'm not sure we'll see a hard copy though
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    I will be picking up Life Is Strange once the full series is out. I played the demo and though it was great. I'm not sure we'll see a hard copy though
    I really hope they do, I'm not a fan of digital games :/

^ me too. I want to play it but in full

I'm playing it as the episodes are dropping by and I must say that a lot of fun is coming from speculating and making up and watching other people's theories about what's going to happen . The game has a beautifully presented world which you can freely explore ( much more so than Telltale games ) .

The developers have put in a lot of small details and clues in each episodes that foreshadow the coming episodes and figuring them out with an online community as vibrant as Life is Strange's is pretty cool . So its not such a bad idea to pick it up right now

Wait so if I'm reading this right we're getting 4 things from RotTR

If so :
    MS = Gameplay
    Xbox Daily = Gameplay (probably)
    Square Press Conference = Trailer (probably)
    Square Enix Presents = Interviews
    "For some discovering the secrets of the world is the only way to live" - Lara Croft

Stupid question, but is the Xbox E3 2015 ''Briefing'' M$'s press conference itself or something seperate?

OP updated with E3 schedule!

If you want to keep up with all things CrystalD and Rise of the Tomb Raider, tune into the events below:

The E3 Ambassador Program

Read up on our E3 Ambassador Program for details on the attending community representatives, and join the forums to send questions for our devs their way.

Xbox E3 2015 Briefing: Monday, June 15, 9:30 A.M. PT

Tune in to see a first look at gameplay from Rise of the Tomb Raider during the Xbox E3 2015 Briefing. Stream it via Xbox.com or on the Xbox Live Events Player, on Xbox One or Xbox 360 consoles globally. You can also watch on Spike TV in the U.S. and Canada.

Xbox Daily - Live @E3: Tuesday, June 16, 4:00 P.M. PT

Rise of the Tomb Raider will get some Xbox Daily – Live @ E3 airtime on Tuesday, also streamed live on Xbox One, on Xbox.com (both on your desktop and on mobile), and on Xbox 360.

Check in on CrystalD at the Square Enix Press Conference on Tuesday morning. Watch on Twitch or YouTube.

Square Enix Presents

We’re holding 30-minute Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft: Relic Run, and Tomb Raider community interviews during Square Enix’s annual show-floor production. Tweet us for a chance to ask your questions direct to the developers. Watch on Twitch or YouTube.

Live Shows

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the blog for daily updates and behind-the-scenes photos. We’ll also share details on when Rise of the Tomb Raider will appear on live shows with media partners.

Here’s to a great E3!
    Last edited by MeaganMarie; 5th Jun 2015 at 22:58.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Stupid question, but is the Xbox E3 2015 ''Briefing'' M$'s press conference itself or something seperate?
    It's the same thing. Xbox Briefing = MS Press Conference.
    "For some discovering the secrets of the world is the only way to live" - Lara Croft

Anyone think they'll be turning down interview requests from people like Angry Joe?

Why would they.

Maybe I'm tired or just slow, but under Tuesday 16th, it says to check in on SE's conference on Wednesday morning...um?

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Maybe I'm tired or just slow, but under Tuesday 16th, it says to check in on SE's conference on Wednesday morning...um?
    Uh...tiredness may factor into that statement, but on my part, not yours. (thanks)

After the box art and trailer I can't wait to see more on ROTTR. That and Ratchet and Clank are the two I will be watching out for. I just really hope CD are better prepared to handle the obvious deal question so it doesn't take the emphasis off the info about the game.

For anyone in Europe:

That's 18:00 GMT !!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    For anyone in Europe:

That's 18:00 GMT !!
    Sweet, I'll have some Donimos pizza ordered for 5:30 PM on Monday for MS conference

Yay, another strike in my list. Ratchet & Clank PS4 trailer and a gameplay trailer!

As well as a new trailer for Hellblade
    Last edited by AdeleDazeem; 11th Jun 2015 at 08:55.

Anyone looking forward to hearing possible details about Nintendo's next console during E3?

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Anyone looking forward to hearing possible details about Nintendo's next console during E3?
    Definitely! Although, I'm only going to watch for the new StarFox and hopefully a new Metroid! I'm not the Nintendo geek I used to be, or rather Nintendo isn't the Nintendo it used be.

my list is very small.

mass effect 4
    mirrors edge 2

thats it.

@adele
    maybe you could get the full version and retail of "life is strange". so far they have made only episode 3. they sure take their time with making these episodes. from the looks of it how fast they release each episode, i would say by the end of the year it should be completed.
    signature image

Definitely! Although, I'm only going to watch for the new StarFox and hopefully a new Metroid! I'm not the Nintendo geek I used to be, or rather Nintendo isn't the Nintendo it used be.
    What about the new Zelda game?

73 hours to go!

Can't wait for the Microsoft presser.

Damn the excitement.

I love this time of the year.

Someone please hold on to me.

Goosebumps all over my body.

#Rise

I'm not really into Zelda. I tried to force myself to like it, but I just can't. I've played most of them, but Ocarina of Time 3D is the only Zelda I've ever finished.

Zelda WiiU has been confirmed not to be at E3

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast