Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Episode 3 choices bug (PS4)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81

    Episode 3 choices bug (PS4)

    During the chapter where you explore the school's main hall at night, my game believes that Nathan was the one suspended instead of Max. This affects the items I read, conversations with Chloe and Max's observations of the Girl's toilets. It seems only during this one scene and this one particular detail but it stands out and is quite annoying.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    This is starting to get ridiculous. I wrote a report to Square Enix support last week and a few days later got an email that said this:

    Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

    We apologize for any problems you are experiencing. However the issue you are describing is a problem with the Sony Entertainment Network. Please contact Sony for further assistance with the game. As the Sony Entertainment Network is a separate service, managed by Sony, we cannot provide any assistance for it.


    Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.
    ___________
    For additional assistance with this issue, you can reply to this email directly.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the issue only the result but I'm 99% certain that the issue I'm experiencing in this game is NOT SEN’s fault or problem. If I don't believe it, I can't see how I'd convince their tech support services to even look into the issue. I can easily imagine them saying the same thing. All I get from this email is "Not my problem, bother someone else".

    Now I did reply directly to that email for some clarification, but it's been a few days, I've heard nothing. My issue still exists, it is interfering with my enjoyment of the game I love and I'm being ignored and I'm not comfortable with where that leaves me. I've decided to send in a new report and hope someone who knows the definition of "support" reads it but I leave this here as well hoping someone on this forum can provide me some insight.

    I do hope that this is some horrible mixup and I can go back to loving this game again and waiting (im)patiently for the next episode.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Hello,

    That's no good that your choices are getting mixed up!

    I've passed this on to be tested - I'll post again when I have news

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    I finally heard back from them again, and it was as I thought, the previous email was just a bit of a mixup. That's the good news, the bad news is I've been doing some troubleshooting on my end and a new save file doesn't fix the problem. I'm currently downloading and reinstalling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    So removing the game and reinstalling it didn't help. The same issue still occurs during the same chapter. Here's a list of the same choices I made while experiencing this issue, I'd like to know if anyone else comes back with it.

    Episode 1
    - You hid the truth*
    - You comforted Victoria
    - You intervened to help out Kate
    - You came out of hiding to intervene**

    Episode 2
    - You told Kate to go to the police
    - You answered Kate's call
    - You tried to shoot Frank
    - You saved Kate's life
    - You blamed Nathan***

    * This choice should make sure Nathan isn't suspended when you blame him
    ** David will bring this up if you blame anyone besides Mr Jefferson
    *** Picking this choice with the other marked choices will get Max suspended and Nathan undisciplined

    The issue only occurs during the chapter inside the main high school building when breaking into the principal's office. At no point during this chapter is Max's suspension mentioned, though it is mentioned almost immediately before (school's front) and after (swimming pool) and the only other chapters it goes unmentioned are after the diner. However, Nathan is referred as being suspended in Max's place. When I examine the door to the girl's bathroom, Max comments "A long time ago... Nathan got smacked down". There is a letter from Nathan's father on the principal's desk stating his outrage at his son's suspension. Finally while Max and Chloe are going over Nathan's real file on the computer Max will comment "At least Nathan finally got suspended."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by WazzuMan View Post
    So removing the game and reinstalling it didn't help. The same issue still occurs during the same chapter. Here's a list of the same choices I made while experiencing this issue, I'd like to know if anyone else comes back with it.

    Episode 1
    - You hid the truth*
    - You comforted Victoria
    - You intervened to help out Kate
    - You came out of hiding to intervene**

    Episode 2
    - You told Kate to go to the police
    - You answered Kate's call
    - You tried to shoot Frank
    - You saved Kate's life
    - You blamed Nathan***

    * This choice should make sure Nathan isn't suspended when you blame him
    ** David will bring this up if you blame anyone besides Mr Jefferson
    *** Picking this choice with the other marked choices will get Max suspended and Nathan undisciplined

    The issue only occurs during the chapter inside the main high school building when breaking into the principal's office. At no point during this chapter is Max's suspension mentioned, though it is mentioned almost immediately before (school's front) and after (swimming pool) and the only other chapters it goes unmentioned are after the diner. However, Nathan is referred as being suspended in Max's place. When I examine the door to the girl's bathroom, Max comments "A long time ago... Nathan got smacked down". There is a letter from Nathan's father on the principal's desk stating his outrage at his son's suspension. Finally while Max and Chloe are going over Nathan's real file on the computer Max will comment "At least Nathan finally got suspended."
    Hello,

    How many save files do you have for Life is Strange on your PS4? I tested with my choices on a PS4 today and found them to all be in order.

    Can you double check you are using the right save file? How are you accessing the episode? (pressing continue, pressing play episodes etc)

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    I deleted all my save files just in case so I only have the one now and I started it from scratch thrice with the same choices to be sure.

    I wish I could tell you more. I'm moved my choices from Ep1 to a new save and going over Ep2 with a few alternate choices. I'll let you know my results.

    Edit: This is doing my head in. I've had no luck so far shaking this thing. However there one thing I'd like to add. I didn't mention it before because it seems so small and significant that I tend to forget about it. At the start of the episode I check Max's phone messages. When I look at the private number text "U have plenty of time to ponder what a fukup looser u r" and back out of the menu, Max comments "Great, he's actually serious. Now I see that being ***s runs in the family". I'm pretty sure that's what Max is supposed to say in response to the text from Nathan's father if he was suspended. As it is the comment doesn't fit at all, Max doesn't know who's number it is. On a hunch I tried just ignoring my texts but still no luck.

    My brother has his own PS4 so I'm bribing him into helping me look into this. I'd do it myself since I don't work as many hours but I'm currently a little fatigued so I'll take a break until someone comes up with results. If he comes back clean I might try copying over my save file to see what happens.
    Last edited by WazzuMan; 9th Jun 2015 at 03:13. Reason: Added more info

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    It would be great if you could test on another console if possible. It would be good to rule that option out.

    Thanks for the response - please continue to post your findings here so I can build up a case

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    It's a little late for me but I'd just done a speed run on my brother's PS4. Sadly the same results as before. The text message comment I mentioned in my last post was the first sign. I performed all the same choices and actions as before. Just once I'd like to see what should be happening so I have some reference as to what should be there and not just what shouldn't.

    After I recover from this disappointment I might try other paths, see if there are any issue I haven't noticed yet. I'll hold onto my latest save file. Let me know if there is anything more I can do to help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Hello,

    Are other users experiencing this issue?

  11. #11
    It works fine one the Xbox One :-)

  12. #12
    It works fine for me on the PS4

  13. #13
    I just played again because I've gotten Max suspended before. This time, I hid the truth and blamed Nathan and he got suspended. The big difference this time was I told Jefferson about David and Kate. I also told him Nathan had a gun. The principal understood and suspended him.

    Could that fix it for you?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Thanks for the updated info, I will investigate further

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    I just played through the game on my PS3 and I still encountered the issue. Either I'm cursed or I'm missing something.

    Quote Originally Posted by spelmanchic View Post
    I just played again because I've gotten Max suspended before. This time, I hid the truth and blamed Nathan and he got suspended. The big difference this time was I told Jefferson about David and Kate. I also told him Nathan had a gun. The principal understood and suspended him.

    Could that fix it for you?
    What did you do with David in Chloe's room. His mistaking you for a pot head is the reason Max gets suspended. And what did you do during the argument between Kate and David (intervene or take a photo). I hadn't considered that telling Mr. Jefferson about Nathan would have an effect, truth told I didn't think twice about that conversation with him. Next time I can bring myself to play again I might check into that.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by WazzuMan View Post
    I just played through the game on my PS3 and I still encountered the issue. Either I'm cursed or I'm missing something.



    What did you do with David in Chloe's room. His mistaking you for a pot head is the reason Max gets suspended. And what did you do during the argument between Kate and David (intervene or take a photo). I hadn't considered that telling Mr. Jefferson about Nathan would have an effect, truth told I didn't think twice about that conversation with him. Next time I can bring myself to play again I might check into that.
    Hi WazzuMan - I'm still unable to replicate the problem you are having on PS3 and PS4. It seems strange that it would be happening on two different consoles which makes me think that perhaps you are continuing your game from the wrong menu selection.

    Can I check you are doing the following:

    Select your save file
    Select play episodes
    Select episode

    Are you playing each episode in order? If you don't do this, it will randomise your decisions.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottBlows View Post
    Hi WazzuMan - I'm still unable to replicate the problem you are having on PS3 and PS4. It seems strange that it would be happening on two different consoles which makes me think that perhaps you are continuing your game from the wrong menu selection.

    Can I check you are doing the following:

    Select your save file
    Select play episodes
    Select episode

    Are you playing each episode in order? If you don't do this, it will randomise your decisions.
    Yes to the menu options and yes to the episode order. Even if either were the case, I don't think that would explain why one chapter was affected and the others are not. Unfortunately I don't personally know any other gamers who can help verify this for me. While my brother did lend me his PS4, he couldn't be bothered to play the game himself. I also can't think of anything else I could be doing differently to you.

    Is it at all possible that the version of the game I'm getting off the PlayStation Store could differ to the one you're testing?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    468
    Wazzuman: But wait, I think the message you've gotten is right! When I got Nathan suspended (because I told on him to Principal) I got a message "s will be exterminated. Watch out! Message you got is correct in the situation because although you got suspended, you blamed Nathan as well so he is angry.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81

    Exclamation Episode 3 Max's suspension bug in "High School - Evening" (PS3/4)

    I'm still here. Plenty of people probably would have given up by now but I'm simply not wired that why and I've still been trying to learn all I can about the issue I'm experiencing.

    First things first, I used my PS4's share button and recorded the chapter I'm having problems with so you can see for yourselves exactly what I'm dealing with. While recording I made sure to open up the choices page, the journal and check text messages with other characters to prove that the game does acknowledge my choices except during this chapter.

    Read the description as I marked the points of interest
    https://youtu.be/Gjv7AG-_AxQ

    I also included the text message comment from the start of the episode so I could get your opinions on it. Again, I'm not sure if it's actually related.
    https://youtu.be/-cn5Og8GNdE

    So let me just go over all the details again, including what I've learned since last time.
    • The issue I'm experiencing only occurs in Episode 3 during the "High School - Evening" chapter, where Max and Chloe are in the main school building trying to break into the principal's office.
    • The choices I make to get the issue are "You hid the truth", "You came out of hiding to intervene", and "You blamed Nathan". This gets Max suspended while Nathan goes unpunished. I have confirmed that none of the other choices seem to affect the issue though the chapter does adapt to them appropriately (e.g. if Max helped Warren or signed Ms Grant's petition)
    • During the chapter, there is no mention of Max's suspension, at all. Not in conversation; Max's observations and thoughts; or in reading material, like Max's file (which does reflect whether or not Max saved Kate) Note: The journal entries and text messages from previous chapters still acknowledge her suspension.
    • When Max looks at the bathroom door from the first episode, she comments "A long time ago... Nathan got smacked down." If this was a reference to Chloe pushing him over in Episode 1, that's fine, but if this refers to Max getting him suspended then it is indeed part of the problem. Since I don't recall seeing this in my first run when I had blamed Mr Jefferson I have assumed the latter. If it is not the case then someone please correct me.
    • When reading the letter from Nathan's father on the principal's desk, he expresses his outrage at Nathan's suspension, which didn't happen.
    • When Chloe and Max are reading Nathan's file on the computer Max says, "At least Nathan was finally suspended." Again, that is not what happened.
    • Before and after the "High School - Evening" chapter, that game appears to react as it should. Max is suspended which is noted almost every other chapter and by half the cast, and Nathan goes unpunished, at least for the time being.
    • I have personally played the game with the same choices on my brother's PS4 and my own PS3 and still came up with this issue. Including the PS4 I primarily use, that's three seperate consoles and two seperate PSN accounts. I will note that we do share the same wifi though I don't know if that could be affecting my version of the game.
    • On that train of thought I'd also note I live in Australia, which I bring up because of my theory that the version of the game I'm playing is somehow different if ever so slightly from players in other countries who have tested for my issue.
    • Before I encountered the issue I did play the episode when Nathan was suspended and before that when I blamed Mr Jefferson and do not recall encountering any issues.
    • So far as I know, no one else has encountered this issue or has been able to replicate it.


    That is all I could find out on my own. However knowing that I am able to replicate the issue on PS3 means I know someone who can test this issue for me, and unlike my brother will probably do it, too. I'll get in touch with them shortly. As for me, I am out of ideas to try. The issue is clearly beyond my problem-solving skills. If anyone has suggestions for anything else I can try I'm all ears otherwise I'll have to find something else to obsess over while I wait for more updates on this issue.

    The issue does not affect the entire game so I can probably still continue my main save when Episode 4 releases without encountering further related issues, I do like to replay my games a lot, especially while waiting for future episodes/games. Meaning while I don't consider this an urgent matter, I would still love it to be resolved as soon as possible, especially so long as the choices I made to encounter this issue are for the moment my "canon".

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Hello,

    I'm going to have some of the dev team look over your choices and verify if they are correct or not.

    Many thanks

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottBlows View Post
    Hello,

    I'm going to have some of the dev team look over your choices and verify if they are correct or not.

    Many thanks
    Hello again,

    I have sat down with the game designer and gone over your choices. Some of the dialogue you are describing is referring to events in Episode 1. This is correct by design - Nathan did get hurt by Chloe in the bathroom.

    When in Principal Wells office who do you blame? Nathan, David or Jefferson? The decisions you are describing should get Nathan suspended. Max may get suspended if she tries to blame David.

    Unfortunately, we were unable to replicate the decision issues you are describing. The only suggestion we have is to erase all saves and start from scratch.

    I'm sorry we were unable to assist further.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottBlows View Post
    When in Principal Wells office who do you blame? Nathan, David or Jefferson? The decisions you are describing should get Nathan suspended. Max may get suspended if she tries to blame David.
    Strange you say that because blaming David with the other two decisions mentioned doesn't result in any consequences for Max or David. Strangely though, during the diner chapter, Nathan did talk like I'd actually gotten David fired, and when I asked the police officer if Mr Madsen "represents Blackwell" he responded with "Not anymore" as opposed to the "Not for much longer" I'm all too familiar with.

    But if you can't even see the problem from your end I don't know what else I can do except try to block it out of my mind.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WazzuMan View Post
    So removing the game and reinstalling it didn't help. The same issue still occurs during the same chapter. Here's a list of the same choices I made while experiencing this issue, I'd like to know if anyone else comes back with it.

    Episode 1
    - You hid the truth*
    - You comforted Victoria
    - You intervened to help out Kate
    - You came out of hiding to intervene**

    Episode 2
    - You told Kate to go to the police
    - You answered Kate's call
    - You tried to shoot Frank
    - You saved Kate's life
    - You blamed Nathan***

    * This choice should make sure Nathan isn't suspended when you blame him
    ** David will bring this up if you blame anyone besides Mr Jefferson
    *** Picking this choice with the other marked choices will get Max suspended and Nathan undisciplined

    The issue only occurs during the chapter inside the main high school building when breaking into the principal's office. At no point during this chapter is Max's suspension mentioned, though it is mentioned almost immediately before (school's front) and after (swimming pool) and the only other chapters it goes unmentioned are after the diner. However, Nathan is referred as being suspended in Max's place. When I examine the door to the girl's bathroom, Max comments "A long time ago... Nathan got smacked down". There is a letter from Nathan's father on the principal's desk stating his outrage at his son's suspension. Finally while Max and Chloe are going over Nathan's real file on the computer Max will comment "At least Nathan finally got suspended."
    You're not alone anymore, man.
    I recently bought the Limited Edition for pc (in Italy, if that matters). Went through those very same choices, experiencing the very same matter. I haven't gone forward yet with the game, but I can confirm this issue is real (and disappointing).
    Let me know whether I can be of any help to solve it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •