Page 5 of 5 First First 12345

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII-2 for PC - Issues, requests and suggestions

Final Fantasy XIII-2 for PC - Issues, requests and suggestions

Even on my new PC i got for christmas, FF13 and FF13-2 should be playing at 60fps but i'm at 30 and sometimes i drop to 20 for no reason and my new pc is more than enough to handle the games flawlessly.

specs:
    Processor AMD A10-7700K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
    Speed 3.5 GHz
    Number of Cores 4
    Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7850 2gb
    Memory 16 GB
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Originally Posted by thedevek
    Actually the game was ported from the xbox 360 version, which has 3 cores. This game is threaded just fine and distributes workload just fine across 3 cores which is what you would want for a game anyway.

EVEN IF IT DID NOT the game isn't cpu bound. I can use set process affinity to force the game to run on one cpu and my framerate doesn't lower at all.

Please don't spread misinformation.
    I'm sorry, you are incorrect.

As rojimboo stated, Windows load balancing across multiple processor cores does not imply an application is multi-threaded. This is apparent because the program tanks when printing many GUI elements to the screen -- any individual with even the slightest GPU programming knowledge will see this as a sign of a poorly optimized draw call.

Performance is severely bottlenecked: http://i.imgur.com/mqjT3GJ.png

Compare the above 8% peak utilization (taken during an intense battle encounter) with any other modern computer game released around the same time period (2009-2012) which easily triples this figure even on the lowest of rendering settings.

Even if the game was in fact ported from the XBOX 360 release, this makes little difference: the 360's processor is that of a similar PowerPC architecture and would still need to be modified outside of simply cross-compiling the code, stubbing methods, or God knows what else Square did to this poor game.

I'm not holding out for a patch, it's apparent there probably isn't going to be one. I'll assume FFXIII-3 will have the same issues.

Frame-Rate Pacer judder issues.

Judders in the frame rate are happening for two main reasons in FFXIII-2. Most common is the frame-rate pacer built-in to FFXIII-2 that is switching between different frame-rates frequently such as 30 fps to 60 fps or 20 fps to 30 fps and the second is loading file data when actively playing the game. Someone recently discovered a way to disable the frame-rate pacer in the game and we can now compare the performance difference between when pacer is on or off. This post focuses on the frame-rate pacer.

PC gamers are familiar with Judders associated to when the refresh rate is not evenly divisible by the frame-rate. This is experience with judders with V-Sync on or tearing with V-Sync off. I believe you(SE) added the frame-rate pacer to attempt to alleviate this this problem. It works for consoles, however causes more problems to PC hardware because of three reasons.

1. PC hardware varies drastically from low end to high end. Each PC can achieve a different average frame-rate in a game. If someones PC hardware can achieve 55 fps average in FFXIII-2, just below consistent 60fps, then the frame-rate pacer will attempt to force the frame-rate down to 30 fps. This is demonstrated in the following two videos that can be compared in a browser that supports 60fps such as chrome on HD setting. Both videos are using exact same area and game settings.

Frame-rate pacer on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqex1Cru6Y
    Observations: Frame pacer is attempting to force frame rate to 30 fps. Frame-rate looks like 30 fps with severe judders when frame rate switches between 30 and 60 fps.

Frame-rate pacer off:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flt8uepkW-k
    Observations: Frame-rate varies, however is below consistent 60 fps. Frame-rate looks like 60 fps with minor judders because frame-rate is not keeping up recording at 60 fps so there are duplicate frames. A similar issue would be observed when viewing actual gameplay from a 60hz monitor with V-Sync on.

2. The game is not well optimized for PCs. Even on high-end PCs the frame rate can vary between when it's clear skys, when it rains, or, in battles. For example with an overclocked i7 CPU and GTX Titan GPU the frame rate can be consistent 60fps outside of battle, however during battle the frame rate drops to around 40 fps. With the frame pacer on battles drop to 30 fps instead of 40 fps.

3. New technology such as FreeSync and G-sync being pushed by AMD and Nvidia is a solution to judders and screen tearing caused by V-Sync on or off. FreeSync and G-sync cannot work with the frame-rate pacer on because the pacer does not allow the frame-rate to vary. As a owner of a G-Sync monitor when the frame rate pacer is disabled there are no judders when frame rate varies from 60 to 40 fps because the GPU is controlling the refresh rate of the monitor to align up with the frame rate.

Current Draw backs to removing frame-rate pacer
    1. There is also logic to determine the game speed based off the frame rate. For example. If the frame-rate is 40 fps then the game logic determines 60fps to be normal speed so 40 fps is slow motion; If the frame rate is 38 fps then the game logic determines 30 fps to be normal speed so 38 fps is fast motion.
    2. Certain PCs hardware performance may just be above 30 fps, however below 45 fps; this will cause frequent judders on a 60hz monitor. Players with this hardware would have a better experience capping the frame rate to 30 fps.

Suggestions to SE
    1. Remove frame-rate pacer and allow normal game speed to match current frame rate. Verify no audio sync issues are caused by this.
    2. Add option to launcher to cap frame rate based off refresh rate. This will allow PC gamers with lower end hardware to cap the frame-rate if they experience too much juddering. This has been done for FFXIV ARR.
    E.g. 1/2 refresh-rate cap on a 60hz monitor is 30fps.
    3. Further optimizations especially in battles where the HUD is actively being updated. This is currently the area where worst performance is observed.

Thank you for listening.
    Last edited by PseudoKite; 8th Jan 2015 at 16:49.

Game performance is terrible!

In most scenarios I'm only getting 25 to 35 FPS, yet my GPU and CPU USAGE are nowhere near maximum.

System:
    CPU: Intel 3930k (6C/12T) @ 4.2 GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 2GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    SSD: Samsung 840 240GB

Game settings:
    Resolution: 2560x1600
    Shadow Resolution: 4096x4096
    MSAA: x2

Performance patch is needed..

Since I'm going have performance issues whether I run it in 1080P or 4K, I just cap my FPS at 30 and run it in 4K. It's a shame I can't get a consistent 60 FPS at 1080P with the specs I have. If this was optimized at all I might even be able to get a consistent 60 FPS at 4K

My specs:
    CPU: i7 3770k
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB

Settings:
    Resolution: 3840x2160
    Shadow Resolution: 4096x4096
    MSAA: x16

Data loading judder issue

This post is focuses on showing judders experienced roaming map when data is loading. To minimize latency from disk drive I have used a ramdisk and still experience the judders.

Video showing frame drops when data is loaded from disk. View in browser that supports 60fps such as chrome.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4flpPm4lYk

Observations:
    Judders occur when large amount of data is loaded from disk drive. In video fps drops below 60fps when this occurs.

Suggestion to SE:
    1. Preload more date when loading the map if PC has enough ram to spare.

A performance patch would be fantastic.

Please Square can you sort out the perfomance stutter my Nvidia Gtx 980 dips madly from 60 to 30 , it would make a lot of people happy please There is a lot complaints on Steam about this and other things check it out please thank you.

Additionally, it is probably worthy to mention that XIII-2 (and possibly XIII and upcoming LR) seems to have issues with shadow transparency which did not occur on Xbox360 version

PC: http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/...9F5D104DF95F0/
    X360: http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/art.../6/360_043.png
    signature image

Well... 50 days after the buggy release and no news about a fix eh ?

Count me in for a patch also, I wrote the square enix tech support and they tried to help which I appreciate. But honestly it did no good, this game has seriously poor performance and I'm way above the requirements.. only getting 21fps max.

Originally Posted by DrewRobertson93
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but everything seems fine on my end. Except for the fact that my game will straight up crash during certain loading sequences. Either after loading the main screen, loading a saved game or attempting to load a time in the historia crux. I played the game once, made it to the Bresha Ruins 05 AF and had to go to bed for work the next day. Next day, after work, sign in, ready to play. Crashed about 10x, I gave up and hoped for an update, none came..

TL;DR My game crashes during certain loading points, no indication as to why.

I get the exact same problem, mine will just crash to the desktop randomly if I enter a new area or a cutscene is about to start. As soon as that loading screen pops up then it's straight back to the desktop. Did you ever find a fix? I've disabled Steam Cloud and Overlay but no good...
    "I can help you, if that's what you want."

Originally Posted by Sammy_Kneen
    I get the exact same problem, mine will just crash to the desktop randomly if I enter a new area or a cutscene is about to start. As soon as that loading screen pops up then it's straight back to the desktop. Did you ever find a fix? I've disabled Steam Cloud and Overlay but no good...
    This problem happens because gedosato is activated, FFXIIII-2 will random crash even if you are NOT using gedosato on the game, Deactivate the gedosato tool to fix those random crash.

The devs of gedosato really should fix this mess in gedosato

Still no performance patch... So tired to wait it

Originally Posted by DirectoriX
    Still no performance patch... So tired to wait it
    Yup. We want a performance patch!! BTW, at least say something if you want to patch the game or working around the issues, SE needs to do more feedback with users on PC and saying news such as "We are working on a patch" would be better than not saying anything. Remember to not pay attention to trolls who flamed previous news about the res. patch of FFXIII whining about the delay on patch, they don't represent the common users who want to know if you would patch it. C'mon SE!!!

Me too I am HIGHLY disappointed from Square Enix!

I bought Final Fantasy 13 and 13 2 very cheap in Steam. About 15€ all together.

My system is good enough to run Final Fantasy with 40 to 60 FPS. What do I get in every fight? ABOUT 5 to 10!

I hate console-ports. I loved Square Enix games.. but this was my last one.

Please update and fix the FFXIII-2!!! make it running smooth constantly in 60fps, rather than all the stuttering and glitches! don't bother to release Lightning Returns if its POORLY OPTIMIZED on PC just like the FFXIII-2!!! >.< #@$%^!!

According to this - http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10...m-in-december/ SE are just giving finishing touches to the game, but that phrase might indicate that there might be fixing LR and other XIII + XIII-2. I could be wrong.

I think SE has chosen to completely ignore their customers. I bought FF13 & FF13-2 on the PS3 first (at full day 1 price). Liked them both. I have a really good PC and decided, for convenience, to re-buy them on STEAM. While FF13 was "playable", FF13-2 is a choppy mess. It's frame rates are so bad that I honestly don't think I can finish the game. I've decided to not buy from SE again. Sad, because I've supported Square for over 20 years and wanted to finish the trilogy. The entire gaming industry is a joke at this point.
    My comp specs are as follows and beyond the min. specs. required.
    CPU - i7 990x (6core)
    GPU - MSI GTX 970
    RAM - 24 GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Monitor - ASUS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD & 3TB Seagate
    I've yet to see problems in any other AAA titles I throw at it.

Square Enix. Please fix this game. This is embarrassing. You are a world class developer. What is this trash? This game freezes every few minutes for me and runs at 20 fps almost everywhere except cutscenes. Fix this mess. Stop treating PC gamers like second class citizens. I love your games. Heck, I bought this one 3 times. Two copies on PS3 and one on PC. You need to get this sorted.

I have an fx 8350 and a fury x with 16 gb of ram. This should not be happening.

Whatever you did to get Lightning Returns running so well, needs to be done for this game. Make it happen. There is a lot of money to be made on PC, especially since PC gamers love to continue to buy games years after they've released. The opportunity for profit here is enormous. But you have to make things right and fix this mess. This is disrespectful to gamers, and more than that, it's disrespectful to the wonderful development team who made this wonderful game. The game as it is, is unplayable with its constant crashing. This frustration should not be part of the play experience . I doubt you even had testers work on the game.

Please fix your mess. For your customers and so that this piece of art can be remembered for what it's supposed to be, rather than for it's many crashes, stutters, and unstable low frame rates. Don't allow the developers legacy to be remembered this way. There is still time. You can make things right.

15-20 fps during battle, 20-30 in open world. This is just terrible, considering even damn consoles can run this at 30 fps. I'm not even sure what's worse, the fact that worldwide company like SE can't even release good port, or that they can't even fix it after more than 14 months, or absolutely no responses about this from SE.

I've loved FF XIII, and I didn't had single problem with it, but XIII-2 is just terrible. When i get to that giant tomato fight, fps was 14-15 all the time, AND it slowed the time so hard, it took arround 2 sec for my projectiles to actually hit it. After that, in middle of fight game just crashed. Then it crashed next time in final cutscene, so it took me 3 tries to kill it.

I like the story so far, but game itself is just unplayable, I've tried a lots of patches and optimisations, but not a single one gave me 20+ fps in battles. I've given up now, hoping SE will respond atleast.

The game crashes when I want to return to Bresha Ruins 5AF. Every. Single. Time.

I don't know what to do. I've tried it with Cloud Saves enabled, Cloud Saves disabled, windowed mode, fullscreen mode, lowest settings, highest settings...I redownloaded the entire game a few times, installed it on different hard drives, tried it under Windows 7 and Windows 10. I even disabled my sound card and used my onboard sound. Nothing helps.

I've also been exchanging emails with the Squeenix Support for the past three months or so. They can't help me either and resorted to suggesting the same thing over and over again. (They always ask me to start Windows with all my autostart programs disabled. Doesn't help, obviously.)

People paid for this game. Fix this mess.

Page 5 of 5 First First 12345