Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Community Challenges Thread

Lightbulb The Community Challenges Thread

— THE OFFICIAL COMMUNITY CHALLENGES THREAD —

Hello and welcome to the Official Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris Community Challenges thread!

As a community centered feature of the new game, I figured it would be a great way to show our support by creating an ever ongoing thread where every Community Challenge is logged and tracked to some extent.

This was first spoken off during Scot Amos' AMA here on the official Square Enix Forums. The challenges usually last for a week each, so every player has to work towards a common goal to earn special rewards. Some challenges may be repeated at varied intervals, so both day one players and late adopters may have a chance to participate.

Whenever a challenge criteria is met, players can head to the Community Chest in front of the Osiris Shrine to claim their shiny new loot. Be sure to check it regularly, as the rewards are only available up to 72 hours after the challenge deadline.

You can keep track of the community progress towards ongoing events via the "Community" screen in the Pause menu. Also worth noting: Meagan has confirmed that while the challenges are the same across all three platforms, each platform has to achieve the goal separately. This post will be updated every time a challenge ends and/or a new challenge begins, so check back often and make sure you participate - the main rule, as always, is to have a good time!

I keep an eye out for updates on the Steam version on a nearly daily basis, but as of mid April have also been checking in on the PS4 whenever possible. Very special thanks for our forumite LadyLC for keeping us up to speed with statuses from the Xbox community.

[ * * * ]

— CURRENT EVENT —

undefined

Go Green

Heart of Ice

Fight the Fire

Khepri Shmepri

Pharaoh's Funeral

Bomb Voyage

Put Out The Lights

Ride the Rail

Payback Time

House Cleaning

Pulling the Strings

Bone Crunching
    — PAST EVENTS —

36. Tummy Ache 2 (Oct 25 - Oct 31)
    Defeat Sobek 500 times
    Reward: Lost Ring of Bes [The Curse of Bes]
    Steam: , PS4: , XBO: ?

35. Go Green 2 (Oct 18 - Oct 24)
    Defeat the Oracle 500 times
    Reward: Silver Ring of Light [Poison Resistance, Lightning Resistance]

34. Heart of Ice 2 (Oct 11 - Oct 17)
    Melt 10,000 ice enemies with the Flamethrower.
    Reward: Bronze Spirit Ankh of Heb [Ice Projectiles, Leech Bomb, Regenerating Health]

33. Fight the Fire 2 (Oct 4 - Oct 10)
    Extinguish 10,000 fire enemies of all types.
    Reward: Gold Flamethrower [Power 7, ROF 10, Ammo 7]

32. Khepri Shmepri 2 (Sep 27 - Oct 3)
    Defeat Khepri 500 times
    Reward: Gold Shotgun [Power 9, ROF 2, Ammo 4]

31. Pharaoh's Funeral 3 (Sep 20 - Sep 26)
    Send the Pharaoh back to the underworld 500 times!
    Reward: Set's Silver Flail [Power Shot, Leech Bomb, Scatter Shot, Regenerating Health]

30. Bomb Voyage 2 (Sep 13 - Sep 19)
    Use remote bombs to kill 250,000 scarabs.
    Reward: Bronze Set's Crook and Flail [Power Shot, Bomb Damage+, Bomb Reload+]

29. Put Out The Lights 3 (Sep 6 - Sep 12)
    Find and extinguish 5,000 Lightning Crocodile Priests
    Reward: Bronze Ring of Serket [Poison Resistance, Lightning Resistance]

28. Ride the Rail 3 (Aug 30 - Sep 5)
    Execute 50,000 enemies of any kind with only the Railgun
    Reward: Gold Rifle [Power 7, ROF 2, Ammo 8]

27. Payback Time 3 (Aug 23 - Aug 29)
    Gun down 5,000 enemies with the Chaingun!
    Reward: Gold Submachine Gun [Power 1, ROF 7, Ammo 1]
    Steam: ?, PS4: , XBO: ?

26. House Cleaning 3 (Aug 16 - Aug 22)
    Exterminate 10,000 scarabs with a Flamethrower!
    Reward: Bronze Spirit of Set's Flail [Power Shot, Regenerating Health, Leech Magic Projectiles]

There were no challenges between Jun 1 and Aug 15, and it looks as though as requirements for challenges 26 and onwards are now tailored per platform. As the timing coincides with the free release via PlayStation Plus, I'll be referring to PSN version requirements on this list.
    [ * * * ]

25. House Cleaning 2 (May 24 - May 31)
    Exterminate 50,000 scarabs with a Flamethrower!
    Reward: Bronze Spirit of Set's Flail [Power Shot, Regenerating Health, Leech Magic Projectiles]

24. Pulling the Strings 2 (May 17 - May 23)
    Defeat Set's Osiris Puppet in Khepri Amphitheater 1,500 times.
    Reward: Set's Silver Flail [Power Shot, Leech Bomb, Scatter Shot, Regenerating Health]

23. Ride the Rail 2 (May 10 - May 16)
    Execute 10,000 enemies of any kind with only the Railgun

22. Pharaoh's Funeral 2 (May 3 - May 9)
    Reward: Gigantic Sack of Gems [1000 gems]

21. Put Out The Lights 2 (Apr 26 - May 2)
    Reward: Bronze Ring of Serket [Poison Resistance, Lightning Resistance]
    Steam: , PS4: , XBO:

20. Payback Time 2 (Apr 19 - Apr 25)
    Gun down 20,000 enemies with the Chaingun!

19. Tummy Ache (Apr 12 - Apr 18)
    Defeat Sobek 2,000 times

18. Bone Crunching (Apr 5 - Apr 11)
    Shatter 500 Large Fire Skeletons with Dual SMGs
    Reward: Gigantic Sack of Gems [1000 Gems]
    Steam: , PS4: ?, XBO:

17. Go Green (Mar 29 - Apr 4)
    Defeat the Oracle 1,000 times
    Reward: Silver Ring of Light [Poison Resistance, Lightning Resistance]

16. Pharaoh's Funeral (Mar 22 - Mar 28)

15. Put Out The Lights (Mar 15 - Mar 21)
    Reward: Bronze Ring of Serket [Poison Resistance, Lightning Resistance] + Official LCTOO OST Remix

14. Black Death (Mar 10 - Mar 14)
    Use Onyx Pistols to eliminate 5,000 regular, non-elemental melee Mummy Warriors
    Reward: Huge Bag of Gems

13. Rocket Crocket (Mar 1 - Mar 7)
    Explode 10,000 of each Fire and Poison Crocodile Lobbers with Rockets only
    Reward: Bronze Spirit of Set's Flail

12. Khepri Shmepri (Feb 22 - Feb 28)
    Defeat Khepri 1,000 times

11. Ride the Rail (Feb 15 - Feb 21)
    Execute 10,000 enemies of any kind with only the Railgun

10. House Cleaning (Feb 8 - Feb 14)
    Exterminate 100,000 scarabs with a Flamethrower!
    Reward: Large Bag of Gems

09. Double Date (Feb 1 - Feb 7)
    Defeat Set's Osiris Puppet in Khepri Amphiteater and Set in his realm 500 times each.
    Reward: Lost Ring of Bes [The Curse of Bes] + Official LCTOO OST Remix

08. Fight the Fire (Jan 25 - Jan 31)
    Extinguish 10,000 fire enemies of all types.
    Reward: Gold Flamethrower [Power 7, ROF 10, Ammo 7]

07. Both Barrels (Jan 18 - Jan 24)
    Use the Double Barrel Shotgun to annihilate 500 of each Fire and Frozen unshielded Skeleton Warriors.
    Reward: Gold Shotgun [Power 9, ROF 2, Ammo 4]

06. Heart of Ice (Jan 11 - Jan 24)
    Melt 75,000 ice enemies with the Flamethrower.
    Reward: Bronze Spirit Ankh of Heb [Ice Projectiles, Leech Bomb, Regenerating Health]

05. Pulling the Strings (Jan 2 - Jan 10)
    Defeat Set's Osiris Puppet in Khepri Amphitheater 1,500 times.
    Reward: Set's Silver Flail

04. Game, Set, Match (Dec 25 - Jan 1)
    Return Set to the underworld 1,000 times to unlock the Arena Battle Event!
    Reward: Gigantic Sack of Gems [1000 gems] + Official LCTOO OST Remix

03. Payback Time (Dec 21 - Jan 1)
    Gun down 200,000 enemies with the Chaingun!
    Reward: Huge Bag of Gems

02. Burn Baby Burn (Dec 14 - Dec 20)
    Use SMGs to kill 5,000 Exploding Flaming Mummies!

01. Bomb Voyage (Dec 9 - Dec 13)
    Use remote bombs to kill 1.000.000 scarabs.
    Reward: Bronze Set's Crook and Flail [Power Shot, Bomb Damage+, Bomb Reload+]

[ * * * ]

— RELEVANT Q&A —

Q: Can you share a few details about community-centric features in LCTOO? In particular the community chest?
    A:
    Since we have such an active and awesome community we've added a new "Community Challenges" system to LCTOO. As often as weekly once the game launches, we'll put up challenges ranging from gather a certain amount of things to kill a certain number of a specific enemy type with specific weapons that everyone who's playing contributes to as they play! In this way, the community as a whole is working towards a reward that everyone gets to share in - such as gems or gear/weapon unlocks. IF the community succeeds at the challenge in the given timeframe, then they can each go to a special gold-chest in the center of the overworld we call the Community Chest where they can claim their hard earned prize! These challenges will ebb and flow as players join the game so we can tailor the challenges... and even unlock a few surprise challenges and custom events long after the game first comes out!

Q: Just wondering if these community rewards will be available for "late adopters" of the game, or if you have to be there within the given timeframe to retrieve yours? I understand there's only one chest and everytime a new reward is achieved, it's loot gets replaced, so people who play the game often will get more unique items?
    A:
    That's a great point... some events only last for a few days, for example, and similarly their reward may only be available for a limited time to collect; then it's hidden away again. Other challenges may go on for weeks and once accomplished, their reward is ever-present so anyone can collect it whenever they join into the game down the road. In general, we want to have the reward tied to the event/challenge where possible so active players who are contributing to the community can get the reward quickly; but we also want to give everyone a chance to share in the events and rewards. Some events we will run multiple times at varying intervals so it may be one week in January, then off; then on again in February, etc.

Q: How long will you be running Community Challenges?
    A:
    We've got one Community Challenge scheduled a week for the foreseeable future. We'll keep them running as long as the demand for them lasts!

Q: Does LCTOO Community Challenge progress update instantly? Or is there a delay?
    A:
    There is a delay time on refreshing due to high server loads. This accounts for periods when progress makes a large jump at once.

Q: Do Steam players' efforts count toward the Community Challenges if our save files are stored locally, rather than on the Steam cloud servers?
    A:
    The Steam player's contributions are counting regardless of whether it's a local or a cloud save. The only thing that matters is whether the user was connected to the internet when they were playing so that the information makes it to the server.

Q: Are Community Challenges platform-specific?
    A:
    Yes, each platform must unlock community challenges individually.

Q: If a Community Challenge isn't successful, will the item be offered again in the future?
    A:
    Yes! We'll make sure to offer a second chance at items should a goal not be reached.

Further reading:

Official Tomb Raider Blog - Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris: Community Challenges
    Stella's Tomb Raider Site - Community and Combat Challenges

Archived challenge images (for Treeble):
    Last edited by Treeble; 1st Nov 2015 at 12:56.

Awesome idea! Shame I'm gonna miss out on all the early challenges though
    signature image

I can confirm that PS4 has the same challenge

Ah.. going to miss out on this challenge. Getting the PS4 version but wont be opening the game until Christmas.

Who has time to kill a million scarabs have mercy!

It's a community challenge. Meaning, everyone who kills a scarab with a bomb will add up to the total. If we reach the 1mil mark by the deadline, everyone can then proceed to collect the reward in the chest in front the Osiris shrine.

Well, I don't know how it happened but we've reached the 1 million mark on the Steam version lol. Yesterday it was at 5% when I stopped playing, so I'm guessing some people have been busy. The combat challenges were good places to boost this - I myself might have bombed about 500 of them just yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
    Well, I don't know how it happened but we've reached the 1 million mark on the Steam version lol. Yesterday it was at 5% when I stopped playing, so I'm guessing some people have been busy. The combat challenges were good places to boost this - I myself might have bombed about 500 of them just yesterday.
    This thread is a great idea!

To clarify, the challenges are the same across all three platforms, but each platform has to achieve it separately.

In regards to the PC challenge - unfortunately it looks like someone’s trying to spoil our fun. A member of the PC community hacked their profile to show them bombing 1,000,000 scarabs to bits, pushing the platform past the finish line for the “Bomb Voyage” challenge. While all three platforms are doing pretty well this week, it’s quite obvious that this number didn’t happen organically. We’re working on a fix that will ignore numbers from individual contributors that are extraordinarily outside the norm to keep this from happening again! That being said, we’re not going to take back the reward this week – so enjoy!
    Last edited by MeaganMarie; 10th Dec 2014 at 21:54.

Argh I want my copy of this game now! , this thread looks awesome!
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post

To clarify, the challenges are the same across all three platforms, but each platform has to achieve it separately.

In regards to the PC challenge - unfortunately it looks like someone’s trying to spoil our fun. A member of the PC community hacked their profile to show them bombing 1,000,000 scarabs to bits, pushing the platform past the finish line for the “Bomb Voyage” challenge. While all three platforms are doing pretty well this week, it’s quite obvious that this number didn’t happen organically. We’re working on a fix that will ignore numbers from individual contributors that are extraordinarily outside the norm to keep this from happening again! That being said, we’re not going to take back the reward this week – so enjoy!
    Aha - that does make sense! I figured something was wrong, I mean, I know not many people would have had it right from launch day, but that was an incredible figure to be reached within such a short time. By the way, is there any way we can keep track on how we as individual players are doing on each challenge? How much we have contributed ourselves, I mean.

Thanks for the update Meagan!
    Last edited by Treeble; 10th Dec 2014 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
    Aha - that does make sense! I figured something was wrong, I mean, I know not many people would have had it right from launch day, but that was an incredible figure to be reached within such a short time. By the way, is there any way we can keep track on how we as individual players are doing on each challenge? How much we have contributed ourselves, I mean.

Thanks for the update Meagan!
    There isn't an individual contribution tracker unfortunately. Just a group one for the community!

This sounds like so much fun! I haven't checked the PS4 statistics for the first challenge, but I know that I've bombed a whole lot of those pesky scarabs
    signature image

Only at 7% over here on Xbone..

2 questions:

1) How many community challenges are planned as of now?

and 2) Will they be going on during January as well? Won't be getting my PS4 'till then.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

I don't think they have a number just yet, but I'd expect them to keep running through the next six months, at least! Resident Evil 6 was released in 2012 and they still have community events going on.

I need some clarification on the second community challenge. (Kill flaming exploding mummies with SMG's)
    Does this include every type of SMG? (Single, Dual, Onyx, Legendary/Enchanted)?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    2 questions:

1) How many community challenges are planned as of now?

and 2) Will they be going on during January as well? Won't be getting my PS4 'till then.
    We have one planned a week for the foreseeable future! So yes, they will absolutely still be going on in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwire View Post
    I need some clarification on the second community challenge. (Kill flaming exploding mummies with SMG's)
    Does this include every type of SMG? (Single, Dual, Onyx, Legendary/Enchanted)?
    Yes, it does! Every type of SMG.

Congrats to Steam players - goal achieved and our reward is already available in the Community Chest!

That's not fair, I'm honestly playing then I will be punished because of a hacker bad character?

We have one planned a week for the foreseeable future! So yes, they will absolutely still be going on in January.
    Thank you for the info!
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

PS4 got their's complete too.
    Though I'm wondering if it was legit, since we went from 58% on one day, to 100% the next day.
    Perhaps it was delayed.

I have 2 questions:

1) I missed the first CC, will I be able to get the reward item later?

2) In the community panel the score still shows 8% for this week's challenge, but I have been killing creatures for 2-3 hours with the chaingun. I'm guessing it's not refreshing every hour only per 12-24 hours?

Well this is the easiest community challenge we had so far.
    Kill 200,000 enemies with the chaingun.
    Practically every open world Challenge (the pillars) can be done for this, though I stil prefer the one I used for farming gems, due to the enemies spawning close together.
    I'm not that happy with the reward though.
    I already have every item and ~8000 gems at the moment.
    But perhaps it will come in handy if they add more loot to the chests.

Quote Originally Posted by f4c3m4n View Post
    I have 2 questions:

2) In the community panel the score still shows 8% for this week's challenge, but I have been killing creatures for 2-3 hours with the chaingun. I'm guessing it's not refreshing every hour only per 12-24 hours?
    1) Probably not, I actually missed the first one somehow.

2) It's not updated live, so it goes in intervals of I think either 12 or 24 hours.
    Last edited by Heartwire; 22nd Dec 2014 at 13:43.

My big question is when does my game upload my progress for the challenge? Is it part of the autosave? Do I need to join an online co-op? Does only co-op progress count?

Quote Originally Posted by tainanlctr View Post
    That's not fair, I'm honestly playing then I will be punished because of a hacker bad character?
    As I mentioned, we didn't think it fair to punish the community, so we left the challenge as achieved and fixed it so it can't be hacked again.

Quote Originally Posted by f4c3m4n View Post
    I have 2 questions:

We'll put many of the items up again in the future, yes. And there is a delay time on refreshing due to high server loads and so on. That can account for periods when it makes a large jump in progress.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast