Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Forum Migration Details

Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    Probably should have given people more than 6 days notice on this.
    We did. A year+ notice even

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Do we need to keep the same nickname, or is this an opportunity to change it?

I assume the process is copy posts from EFnick -> account of SFnick, but how do we verify they are the same person?
    signature image

Please sign up with the same nickname. If the nickname is taken, try to use something as close as possible as your EF nickname.

More details on the synch process will be provided on the 19th/20th in the dedicated thread.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    We did. A year+ notice even
    OK, not trying to make a big deal of this but come on. Are you saying it's been common knowledge for a year that the boards would switch over on 11/19/14?
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Boooo, mine was taken... possibly even by me... but now I'm _darksaiyan_ :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    There was a thread announcement that this was going to happen for, like, a year now. This is just the announcement that it's finally happening. And you expect them to email every active user? For reals?
    A year is a very long time for an online tool or network. For any major change, I would have provided a month of notice, then two weeks, then two days.

The ability to email every single user in a scheduled, asynchronous fashion should be an integral part of any forum system. If it's not, then I would have to wonder why an administrator would continue with it.

Disclaimer: The above opinions are from the perspective of a software quality engineer. They are not a complaint or judgement on the process or capabilities of our great EF overlords.
    signature image

Chocolate is already taken !?

I'm now Chocolate_shake

Lucky me! I always get to pick 'AdeleDazeem'. Even Skype didn't need an extra number behind it.

''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.'' - Camilla Luddington

I note a post on SE forum explaining there is nowhere to post "off topic" discussion.

"The whole board is for discussing Square Enix, our games, products, etc.
    There is no location on the board for discussing content not related to Square Enix, our games, products, etc. Please avoid these subjects in the future."
    So, just wondering if this "Community Chat" board is going to be moved there too.
    I certainly hope so.... *augmented fingers crossed"
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

^ Just been posted in the TR section
    Don't be alarmed by this. The mod in question moderates forum sections that indeed have no dedicated off topic places and where discussions are required to stay on topic.

He abides by those directions for HIS forum sections. OUR forum sections have different directions, which will be carried over once we migrate.

So in short, nothing will change. We'll still have The Humble Abode for the TR community to shoot the breeze, we'll still have the Community Chat section for global off topicness, and all that good jazz.
    signature image

Phew! *Uncrosses augmented fingers.*
    Thanks ABH. This is good news. Spread the word.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    OK, not trying to make a big deal of this but come on. Are you saying it's been common knowledge for a year that the boards would switch over on 11/19/14?
    The actual date for the migration is a new announcement, yes, but as there has been an announcement informing members of this migration for over a year, then that's more than enough time to be aware and people have had this time to make an account and secure their usernames (or a slight variation, like mine on SE is -Rai--) in that entire period. Driber has also been answering questions too. Perhaps it wasn't possible to pinpoint an actual date with more notice? It's a shame you've missed the initial announcement, which was board wide, but I don't think you can blame the forum staff; they've done what they can to make this easier on the members. A year is a long time to be prepared for this. It was only a matter of when, and now we know.

Quote Originally Posted by darksaiyan View Post
    Boooo, mine was taken... possibly even by me... but now I'm _darksaiyan_ :-/

A year is a very long time for an online tool or network. For any major change, I would have provided a month of notice, then two weeks, then two days.

The ability to email every single user in a scheduled, asynchronous fashion should be an integral part of any forum system. If it's not, then I would have to wonder why an administrator would continue with it.

Disclaimer: The above opinions are from the perspective of a software quality engineer. They are not a complaint or judgement on the process or capabilities of our great EF overlords.
    So, you're saying an automated email, something like 'send to all members'? I suppose that would be plausible. However, I don't feel that would be necessary in this case. I may be wrong, but perhaps anyone trying to reach EF will be re-directed to the SE one with a link at least, for a while.

If anyone is invested in visiting these forums anyway, they'll be sure to spot the broadcast sign in or not, so I don't think mass mail is worth it actually
    signature image

*Reminisces about the good ol' days of the Community Chat forum* I remember those screenshot competitions and chit-chat and other good stuff.

I registered on SE months ago as was advised and was lucky enough to get my user name (less a space).

Thanks for the updates, Driber. Lead us onward into this great unknown forum space for us to explore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruum Taedor View Post
    I registered on SE months ago as was advised and was lucky enough to get my user name (less a space).
    Same here! I got to keep my user name without any changes!
    signature image

I was unable to register using Nightwalker so I've done the same as Yandros and added an underscore for now.
    Nightwalker
    Oct. 2000

Hey everyone,

Thank you for being understanding during this process - I know it's been a long time coming and that we're still troubleshooting some of the details as we go. It was a big challenge to find a way to migrate content and make them play nice with the new forums, and once we found a solution we wanted to move as quickly as possible on it since game launches and the holidays are just over the horizon.

I know the solution isn't perfect, and that some of your user names have been taken, and I apologize for that. I'm happy were were at least able to hold onto the heart of the community and migrate a good deal of data over, though, even if we're hitting some speedbumps along the way.

Huge thanks to Driber, Jason, and moderation team here for helping us behind the scenes and volunteering their time to help users sync their accounts after the move. They've been working their butts off to ensure everyone feels at home after the move. If you've got any complaints about the process, please direct that feedback at me.

OK I'm officially registered, just got my email thing to finish registering my account. I'm lucky I didn't have to alter my name at all. It already has underscores in it.
    signature image

My nickname has already been taken. Gothik13 over there.

so please bare with us
    It's too cold for that.

Big Grin

Not if we spoon

I was unable to sign up with New Horizon due to the spacing issues, but I successfully signed up as NewHorizon, no spaces. Hopefully that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    So, you're saying an automated email, something like 'send to all members'? I suppose that would be plausible. However, I don't feel that would be necessary in this case.
    I guess it's the difference between necessary and appreciated. I'm personally not bothered, and I don't really know the circumstances behind all this, so
    signature image

I couldn't sign up with my username and it's pretty obscure so had to add an underscore.

I think it's a shame we have to move as the Eidos forums have always been a great place to be and hope it doesn't deter too many currently active members. For the SE forum is there a way to change the colour skins as the light grey against white is a little hard to see the boarders to the posts?

The IT department tried to reserve names, but it wasn't possible I'm afraid. Our user base here at EF is huge.

Try to sign up on SEF with an adjustment to your name, but recognizable enough so that we can find you

For example you could add dashes - or underscores _
    Yeah JBG became J_B_G_

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    I think it's a shame we have to move as the Eidos forums have always been a great place to be and hope it doesn't deter too many currently active members. For the SE forum is there a way to change the colour skins as the light grey against white is a little hard to see the boarders to the posts?
    Yeah I'll miss this place, too. Though when I think about it, the new place will in essence be no different; we'll simply have a new URL and titling to get used to, heh. Our game sections will continue to function as usual

I hope so, too, mate. With migrations like these, there will always be some people who won't be making the jump, for a variety of reasons, and that's certainly sad. Though as Meagan mentioned a few posts back, some of the staff have worked very hard the past years behind the scenes to make sure that the community will feel at home in our new destination as much as possible. So I hope that the move won't leave many members behind, indeed. Our community actually migrated already once before; back in 2001 we moved from our old UBB Board platform at eidosinteractive.com to vBulletin here at eidosgames.com.

Back then we also had people who unfortunately said their goodbye's. Even much more so as it now seems to be the case, judging from the reactions. With the 2001 migration, we weren't able to move posts across at all, and the entire community had to start completely from scratch, so that put off many people. Also, the new color scheme of the forums was much different from the UBB boards that people were used to for years, which I remember was a cause for many to not make journey as well.

And that nicely segways to your question, heh - yes, in some forum sections of SEF there will be different colors (as in, skins) to choose from after we've migrated. More details on that later!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast