View Poll Results: Who should play Lara in the 3rd movie? (pics @ bottom of OP)

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alison Carrol

    22 12.79%
  • Camilla Luddington

    92 53.49%
  • Ellen Page

    10 5.81%
  • Gemma Arterton

    34 19.77%
  • Hayley Atwell

    13 7.56%
  • Kaya Scodelario

    6 3.49%
  • Lyndsey Fonseca

    16 9.30%
  • Natalie Portman

    13 7.56%
  • Nina Dobrev

    9 5.23%
  • Olivia Thirlby

    6 3.49%
  • Olivia Wilde

    18 10.47%
  • Summer Glau

    10 5.81%
  • Kate Beckinsale

    15 8.72%
  • Jennifer Lawrence

    17 9.88%
  • Emma Watson

    14 8.14%
  • None of the above - I want a feature length CGI movie, a la Turning Point

    5 2.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1658

Thread: Third TR film general discussion thread

  1. #1626
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    Additionally, Alicia was spotted filming with a bicycle, I think in London. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_t0Tz-WAAE6krm.jpg

  2. #1627
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,218
    No movie news, but I just came across this fanart of Daisy Ridley as Lara and I had to share it:

    (click image to enlarge)

    I have to say, I'm still a tad disappointed that Daisy didn't get the role...
    signature image

  3. #1628
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island-USA
    Posts
    678
    So, I'm sure we know by now this movie is a remake of the first game. I guess it could be interesting but I'm also disappointed because we know what happens. By now we all know the step-by-step process of this movie and how it ends.
    signature image

  4. #1629
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    ^ If we go by the casting, I doubt it's going to be a carbon copy of the game - No Sam, Daddy plotline, London etc
    signature image

  5. #1630
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    That's nice artwork.

    Yeah it's obviously not a step-by-step reworking of the game. Perhaps some vital plot points in Lara's personal arc on the island.

    Anyhoo That's a wrap!. Filming is done, roll on the first trailer, hopefully at SDCC.
    Last edited by Rai; 9th Jun 2017 at 18:38.

  6. #1631
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island-USA
    Posts
    678
    That's good to know it isn't going to be exactly like the game.
    signature image

  7. #1632
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,218
    Not sure how reliable it is but, according to this instagram post, Antonio Arakeel will be playing Lara's love interest...
    signature image

  8. #1633
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    ^ But... That isn't Alex... Or Sam...

    Unacceptable.
    signature image

  9. #1634
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    More set pics


    As for Antonio's role, it could be a one sided thing on his part. Article with interview

    It also stars Dominic West, Walton Goggins, Daniel Wu, Hannah John-Kamen and Kristen Scott Thomas and has a release date of March 16, 2018.
    ?????.

  10. #1635
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    ^ I like the jacket and hoodie, glad they kept that in, but her hair being down looks odd to me...

    @Kristen - Do they mean her? Could be Amelia...
    Last edited by a_big_house; 14th Jun 2017 at 16:29.
    signature image

  11. #1636
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    @Kristen - Do they mean her? Could be Amelia...
    If Amelia is still dead in the movie timeline like she is in the games and if she also died when Lara was a child, I would say this actress is perhaps too old for Amelia flashbacks considering she's 10 years older than Dominic West who is playing Lara's father (and we suspect he won't be limited to flashbacks)...

    As for the new set pics, I still can't see Lara... I look at the pics and nothing screams Lara to me...
    signature image

  12. #1637
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    ^ Haha, well anything can happen with this films it seems!

    Also I noticed when I quickly had a look at the IMDB page, that Vinita Petrus is listed as Female Merc, so not Reyes then...
    signature image

  13. #1638
    I can't wait for this movie, I just finished every part of game. I believe also Alison Carroll is the best person for Lara Croft character. She will fit fine

  14. #1639
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    New Image and a short interview with Alicia.


    (click image to enlarge)

  15. #1640
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    For the 28-year-old actress, starting from the beginning was a major pull for doing the film. “I was surprised that my mum knew what Tomb Raider was. That’s due to the fact that Angelina Jolie made Lara Croft such an icon..."
    Wow. All respect lost.

    Also that still is awful - You can clearly tell she's on wires, her body is vertical instead of hinged on her shoulder
    (I'm not saying she shouldn't be on wires, but it just doesn't look real)
    signature image

  16. #1641
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    Also that still is awful - You can clearly tell she's on wires, her body is vertical instead of hinged on her shoulder
    (I'm not saying she shouldn't be on wires, but it just doesn't look real)
    That's the first thing I thought! Like she doesn't look to be actually hanging from her arm. It doesn't look real at all, which is a shame. It completely breaks immersion for me.
    signature image

  17. #1642
    Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    Wow. All respect lost.
    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    Also that still is awful - You can clearly tell she's on wires, her body is vertical instead of hinged on her shoulder
    (I'm not saying she shouldn't be on wires, but it just doesn't look real)
    Hmm you're right, that just looks weird.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  18. #1643
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Why?
    As much as I love Angie, she is not the reason why Lara is such an icon. If Alicia really believes that, then she has no knowledge of TR's history.
    signature image

  19. #1644
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    I like the image. Alicia looks great as Lara here. Sure it's clear she's held by wires, I actually thought she was standing on the rocks at first - actually, is she not dangling, but standing? But it's not distracting from the atmosphere they're trying to capture. To me, it also looks like she's mid turn, about to reach with her other hand. It'll look better in action, I'm sure.

    Why is it so important for the actress who's doing her job to be familiar with the franchise history? She may have played a few games, and maybe for her it was the AJ films that captured her imagination with the character, I dunno. What's important is her portrayal of the character that was presented to her in the script and direction. Is she expected to take a Tomb Raider quiz to win fan approval?
    Last edited by Rai; 14th Jul 2017 at 01:13.

  20. #1645
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Why is it so important for the actress who's doing her job to be familiar with the franchise history? She may have played a few games, and maybe for her it was the AJ films that captured her imagination with the character, I dunno. What's important is her portrayal of the character that was presented to her in the script and direction. Is she expected to take a Tomb Raider quiz to win fan approval?
    Because how else is she supposedly to know who she is playing!? The script means sweet F-all, look at nearly every other video game movie, most of them bomb because they are absolutely nothing like the source material and the people who watch them clearly know it. - Take the Resident Evil movies as a prime example.

    From what we've heard of the story already, it's going to be an awful rehash and mish-mash of plotlines from TR13 and Rise that won't work together and a lot of fans probably won't like it. - Just a quick look at the Facebooks pages for TR and you'll see plenty of people hating this film already.

    No, she doesn't have to take a quiz, but like that Alison Carol model, she should have some knowledge of who she is portraying so that she doesn't sound like a total idiot when people ask her things about the franchise and it's history.

    What's the point in calling the film Tomb Raider and her portraying Lara Croft if once again the character is entirely different to what everyone is expecting - she might as well just be every other female in every other survival movie.
    signature image

  21. #1646
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    I actually thought she was standing on the rocks at first - actually, is she not dangling, but standing? But it's not distracting from the atmosphere they're trying to capture.
    If you enlarge the picture and look at the feet, you can clearly see that she's not standing on anything...
    And that's just it, you look at the pic and the first impression is you can't really tell what's going on - is she standing? Is she hanging? - because her body position is just weird! My first thought was this was a terribly photoshopped image!
    signature image

  22. #1647
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    Because how else is she supposedly to know who she is playing!?

    <snip>

    What's the point in calling the film Tomb Raider and her portraying Lara Croft if once again the character is entirely different to what everyone is expecting - she might as well just be every other female in every other survival movie.
    While I'd expect any actor to do some research and familiarise themselves with the role if they take on an already established character, I certainly wouldn't expect them to read up on the entire history of the franchise. At best I think Alicia to have familiarised herself with reboot Lara as her role is more closely linked to this character. I'm sure I've read she's played the game. Ultimately, she's going off the script and directions for her actual portrayal of the character. I think you're expecting too much and being too harsh to say you've lost all respect because she associates AJ as making the character iconic. Maybe she only means in regards to the films, which isn't wrong in the sense the films helped bring TR to the attention of the general/movie going public.

    You say the script means F all, but then rant about the rehash of the two game stories. I haven't seen the Facebook comments, but I assume most are upset by the daddy plot again. I'm not overly keen on that aspect, but I'm willing to give it a go to see what else the film brings to the table. Alicia has noting to do with the story only in her own role. Not sure why you brought that up as part of your rant against her portrayal as Lara.

    And how is Alicia's Lara different to what everyone's expecting? For all we know Alicia has done some research. The film isn't a 1.1 of the game, but I prefer that. Are people expecting the same character from the classic games? The AJ movies? The reboot? As far as Lara herself is concerned a close resemblance to the reboot is more likely what we'll see. Fans may be disappointed or they may not, but the general public are likely more interested in enjoying a good movie and not really thinking about the franchise and Lara through the years. Interviewers are going to be asking about the role she's playing and the film. Of course she may be asked about Lara as a character, but I doubt they'll grill her on the history of the franchise. Her answer given in the article above is likely her stock answer. When proper marketing starts, she's going to have more set answers ready. Just like any actor asked about their roles.



    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    If you enlarge the picture and look at the feet, you can clearly see that she's not standing on anything...
    And that's just it, you look at the pic and the first impression is you can't really tell what's going on - is she standing? Is she hanging? - because her body position is just weird! My first thought was this was a terribly photoshopped image!
    Maybe it is a bad photoshop from EW magazine? As I said, her body angle aside, I really like the image. It really gave me reboot vibes.

  23. #1648
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    While I'd expect any actor to do some research and familiarise themselves with the role if they take on an already established character, I certainly wouldn't expect them to read up on the entire history of the franchise. At best I think Alicia to have familiarised herself with reboot Lara as her role is more closely linked to this character. I'm sure I've read she's played the game. Ultimately, she's going off the script and directions for her actual portrayal of the character. I think you're expecting too much and being too harsh to say you've lost all respect because she associates AJ as making the character iconic. Maybe she only means in regards to the films, which isn't wrong in the sense the films helped bring TR to the attention of the general/movie going public.
    I never said she has to read up on the entire history...
    I'm really not expecting anything, from the start I've had no doubts that this film will be bad, I certainly hoped it wouldn't be and maybe when I watch it, it won't be, but right now there's basically nothing that makes me want to watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    You say the script means F all, but then rant about the rehash of the two game stories. I haven't seen the Facebook comments, but I assume most are upset by the daddy plot again. I'm not overly keen on that aspect, but I'm willing to give it a go to see what else the film brings to the table. Alicia has noting to do with the story only in her own role. Not sure why you brought that up as part of your rant against her portrayal as Lara.
    You said her portrayal from what she gets from the script is important, I'm saying if the script is trash so will her portrayal be, because it won't be Lara (Again)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm going to give the film a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    And how is Alicia's Lara different to what everyone's expecting? For all we know Alicia has done some research. The film isn't a 1.1 of the game, but I prefer that. Are people expecting the same character from the classic games? The AJ movies? The reboot? As far as Lara herself is concerned a close resemblance to the reboot is more likely what we'll see. Fans may be disappointed or they may not, but the general public are likely more interested in enjoying a good movie and not really thinking about the franchise and Lara through the years. Interviewers are going to be asking about the role she's playing and the film. Of course she may be asked about Lara as a character, but I doubt they'll grill her on the history of the franchise. Her answer given in the article above is likely her stock answer. When proper marketing starts, she's going to have more set answers ready. Just like any actor asked about their roles.
    Simple answer - Her motivation to be a Tomb Raider.
    If I'm honest, I believe the only reason they cast Alicia is because of her film history and awards, but this film wont win an Oscar. That saying of polishing a turd comes to mind.
    Stock answers or not, her answer in the original article is crap
    signature image

  24. #1649
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    4,981
    ^I said script and direction, as this is the Lara Alicia will be portraying, as described in the script and how that role is directed. Sure, Alicia's portrayal will come down to how the dialogue and actions are interpreted and any research on the character Alicia did will help with that. Franchise history knowledge and how TR became popular doesn't come into it. Yes, if the script is terrible, there's not a lot Alicia can do except do the best she can with what she's given. If this movie Lara is based on reboot Lara, then any research she did for her character was likely mostly based on those games. Lara's motivation isn't down to Alicia Her answer may have been crap to you, but it still doesn't invalidate whether she can play the role to the best of her ability.

    Anyway I came in here to give a link to the new website for the movie. Good to see. No more info than we already have, so wasn't sure it needs its own thread. Tomb Raider

  25. #1650
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,218
    New movie pics:


    (click image to enlarge)


    (click image to enlarge)
    signature image

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •