Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Kain's Lament: Fan Art

I've always just loved Raziel's character design. It's so rare to see such monstrous looking player characters in games, and it just so refreshing to play someone who totally looks like he should be the villain. Kain's design was great too, but Raziel's horrific body, all destroyed and everything just looks awesome.

It definitely is a stark design. The reason Spawn, and the Shadow, and Darkman also resonate is probably the same. Something mysterious and dark in the shadows, with just the eyes seen, the tragedy of a ruined being out for revenge, like the Phantom of the Opera, stuff like that resonates.

Hm, so when the threads were archived for the Nosgoth section, I actually didn't notice these posts:

(click image to enlarge)

To finally reply No, those statues were not inspired by that concept art from BO1. In SR2, you have the simple, Celtic-type statues around the Pillars, then in Defiance, radically the surroundings change to various decaying statues of angelic figures. I wanted to come up with statues that could be more in line with the humans taking over the Pillars and showing reverence for the area as a holy site, and so I looked at classical statues, and many graveyard statues, depicting either angels, or the Virgin Mary for reference.

In the video, she's beside the Pillars, but their intended placement is along the steps from the battlement gates to the Pillars. The gate in SR2 had steps framed with basic stone walling at various levels and stone plinths, but I figure they should be a little more spruced up than that. I'm going to eventually have the statues there, and some cauldrons lit with fires going.

The Pillar symbols do indeed glow and they pulsate

If ever I get this dress finished for Ariel, she's what I am working on now and hope to be able to show soon-ish. Embroidery detailing, stuff like that takes forever.

Please- give Raziel his pants... Give him at least a bit of dignity...

Ok, kidding(well, not quite, but i don`t want stake through the chest). Great job- i don`t think i need to say this to you, but if i like something, i`ll say it out loud. I just love the detail
    You do wonderful job getting(i will now proceed to make a moron out of myself, playing some eriee-***-art-critic), this feeling i had when i watched Nosgoth after everything collapsed
    Last edited by Heretic_13; 24th Sep 2016 at 09:18.

Are you planning on doing more with the Pillars area? Maybe incorporating elements from Blood Omen and Defiance to make it resemble all three and make it work as a whole? You obviously based it heavily on how it was depicted in Soul Reaver 2, but I was wondering if you were planning on making it a synthesis of all three depictions.

Thanks, Heretic 13.

The only real elements from Defiance I've added and will add are the branching paths, making the area work for leading out to all places we've gone to. For the Pillars, themselves, what I'd like to do is have some added effects on the individual Pillars center parts where the symbols are. Those additions would bring the concept that those centers were more representative of their specific powers, like BO1, but upgrade that idea to make it feel realistic. For instance, the Mind Pillar would not be a blob of brain tissue there.

So, this is what I am thinking of eventually doing:

Mind Pillar: a warping, pulling focus toward the center part, the more you turn the camera toward it, like a mental beam looking into your brain as you stare at it. A harsher, more chaotic version for the corrupt Pillar. Maybe it makes the camera shake and totter a bit.

Dimension: The center dissipating between realms. Not just fading out, but maybe some color, or other effects to indicate multiple dimensions; more of a chaotic version of this when corrupted.

Conflict: warping, reddish waves and a reddish hue to the surroundings the more the camera turns toward its center symbol; more chaos when corrupted.

Nature: some foliage growth around the center; a dried, dying version when corrupted.

Energy: waves of blue electricity fluctuating when pure; a more chaotic fluctuation of reddish electricity when corrupt.

Time: this would be interesting, seeing the center age and de-age in random spurts. Perhaps this halts entirely when corrupted, as it can't become younger then the corruption, and forward in time is only its destruction.

States: like the Mind Pillar, unlike having the texture of the forms Kain can morph into on this pillar, instead it alters in flux between materials. Super hard stone, water, slime, gas/plasma, or something. Would be interesting to see. Maybe lava is one when corrupted.

Death: The more you focus on it with the camera, the more decay and rot seems to take hold of the world, perhaps. This would intensify when corrupted. Maybe Kain would start to look like he's decaying.

Anyway, I'll see how much of that is doable, hopefully.

You can actually make things change when the camera is focused on certain parts of models?

I have not tried to find out yet, but I am saying if it can be done, those would be things I would like to add.

I've been following your work on your site, Ariel, Malek, and such. I'm surprised you haven't been talking about it here at all. I mean, I know this place is dead, but it would be fun to talk about it and give some feedback. I'm hoping you'll get some sort of notification and see my comment.

You're right, Zulg. I've woefully neglected this thread. I wanted to post a few times, and keep forgetting. Now, I must catch up and make an update with all of the new stuff. Sorry, everyone.

First thing to note, I think this wasn't updated since the new site update. If you haven't already, check out the new Hylden-Dimension.net's updates.

But, since I'm going to post links here anyway to post, I guess you will if you look through this post

First update since Raziel is Ariel, before she was murdered, in her re-imagined Balance Guardian dress attire. I have a little scene of her lighting the Balance scales that I took renders from.

A brief bit from her recreation: Ariel's undergone some changes in each of the games. I wanted to return her to her roots and bridge the gap as much as possible between the games, as I have been attempting to do from the start with all of these models. In the gold trim running all along her dress, like is seen on Guardians such as Moebius, I included many of the Pillar symbols and other symbols shared in the games. These are more than ceremonial, most likely, as they are probably like runes and warding symbols when used in specific combinations. Makek and the Sarafan also have these symbols etched into their armor probably for the same reason. The dress is velvet with silk trimming. I'm happy with how the velvet look was achieved using the metallness workflow and some ingenuity.

I added a belt for her and to go into a little more detail on that, it's a bronze belt divided into plaques for each of the nine pillars. Each plaque is a representation of the Pillar and its properties. They also have gems of color closely representing the colors on the center plinths of each pillar. I looked up a list of gem stones and so they correspond to real world gem stones. In between those main plaques are smaller ones with roses and vines linking, and within some of those, you might notice behind the roses are the designs of the elemental symbols. The back of the belt has a tenth main plaque that is in the shape of a cross-like motif with alternating light and dark gems.

I tried to keep her dress design reflective of the medieval period I'm using for this mix of fantasy and real world, which is mostly around the late 1300's (though anywhere from 1200-1500's has some influences I can probably use).

The renders on there were without he background, but here's the final render:

(click image to enlarge)

Ariel full model:

(click image to enlarge)

Next up is ghost Ariel.

My re-imagining of the Balance Guardian, Ariel, from the Legacy of Kain games. This is her ghost form seen throughout every game, except Blood Omen 2. Throughout each game, she's usually seen as a floating ghost dressed in burial wraps and with half of her face ruined, showing her skull underneath. I used references of the actress who voiced her, Breaking Bad's Anna Gunn, and the concept art for her in Soul Reaver 2 by Daniel Cabuco. Modeled in Zbrush, Maya; textured in Zbrush, Photoshop, and work on the basins and chains done with Substance Painter. Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2. Like with living Ariel, there is a render of her that I did with a background. I placed her in the Pillars scene I have in Unity 5. You can see that render here:

(click image to enlarge)

Closer on her model:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Like the Defiance retexture of her, I have her in burial wraps with only half of her face ruined, this time a little less definitive if it was melted, or rotted. My take is still that the substance burning within the basins fell out after she tipped the scales as she fell and it melted part of her face away as she died. I surmise that there was a ceremony for her later at the Pillars where she got to see her corpse in the burial wrappings, which is why she looks like she does now.

Then I went and updated human Kain:

Yes, so over the course of time, it's grown increasingly apparent to me that Kain needed a little more work. Though I tried to humanize the proportions of elder vampire Kain to make him in the first place, and tweaked him further after that, he still didn't have the right proportions. The goal in creating human Kain to begin with was to make the human that would eventually become elder vampire Kain. Well, he has to look like a realistic human. Elder Kain's brow shape forces his eyes to be wider apart than a human's. The eyes are also slanted upwards at the corners more. I think I did work to pull them in when making human Kain, but they were still way, way too far apart and were slanted, giving him a sort of bug-eyed look that wasn't correct. In addition to pulling them inward, the shape of the eyelids, how they open, all has been revised. A little more like Simon Templeman's, which I continue to look off of for any revisions. That was the main real issue, because if they eyes look wrong, everything really does.

The next issue was the jaw, still too square and bulky. That and the lips were too thin and wide. Basically, the whole face needed some thinning and softening. and the lips needed to not look like he was in a constant tension with pursed lips. The top of the head also needed fixing. So, after all of this, we finally have a human Kain that I think looks the part completely. I can believe this guy could be a real person. Since I remade the model to work better for skinning, I had to tweak two models, not just one. But, he's fully rigged and skinned again. I also redid the hair in a better way and did a few more tweaks to the armor and textures.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Then we come to the next bit which took a lot of time to get working and is part of why I forgot to update things here for so long: doing some animations for wraith Raziel to be used in Soul Revenant. You can read more about that here. Had some issues optimizing the model first and then the climbing animations just were a real chore. These aren't the final animations, but they are mostly intact and there for SR to use in testing:

Now, we're almost current on what I am working on. Right now, I'm working on getting the rest of the Lieutenants and Malek done. I first will finish their human forms, the Lieutenant's vampire forms, and then will go into their devolved, monstrous forms. In addition to that, I'll be working from here on with getting the intro for Kain from Blood Omen 1 done. I've talked about it before, but I want to finish it, or most of it -- as much as possible -- by the end of this year. So, that's a lot of models, a lot of animations, and a lot of work, while I'm trying to do this stuff for Soul Revenant and the devolved Lieutenants. It's a bit crazy.

The Lieutenants low poly.

Revisions on the Lieutenants, still an early WIP.

Sarafan Armor/Malek's concept.

I'm trying to do more frequent updates to the site as I go about this and will try to make frequent updates here, too, from now on. Thanks for everyone who continues to watch and support this.

I want to make it clear that I'm not insulting your work, but I do have a little disagreement on Ariel, about her ghost form. I understand your reasoning that the idea could be that there was a funeral ceremony at the Pillars and so she saw her body, but my issue is about her pale skin. Yes, her dead body would be pale, but in the games themselves, she does have pinkish skin, like she's alive. It's just that since this is how she looks in the game, I think it should be the basis for how the characters are depicted since. If you want to do a bit of a reimagining of the characters, I can understand, but it's just a little disagreement I have. Otherwise, I think it's all amazing and I really don't know how you manage to accomplish all this. I also love how she looks with the background now, since last time I saw it was all just black behind her.

Also, are you sure that you want to work on the lieutenants and Malek? If your goal is to recreate the beginning FMV of Blood Omen by the end of the year, I personally would suggest focusing on that.

And again, amazing work as always.

Thanks.

That's ok. I get what you mean with Ariel. My thought was that she would have a bluish aura, much like the BO1 ingame ghosts, so even if she was a little paler it probably will look right with the aura, like in the render above with the background. I can always bring back a bit of that color in her face, though.

It depends on how fast I can get the brethren detailed. Soul Revenant needs its bosses, so I did want to get moving on modeling the brothers so I can get to modeling their devolved versions. But, we'll see if I can move faster than in the past on this. The good thing about these models is they're already UVed for textures and the low poly version is already crafted, since they are all modified from Raziel. It saves a ton of time. I'm thinking these models can also be modified for the assassins and townsfolk later.

OK I get what you mean about the lieutenants. I just wonder if working on both of these might be too much and if you should focus on one instead to make sure you make progress in it.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132