Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast

Thread: What are you Currently Listening to? (Part 3)

The new Florence + the Machine album isn't really my thing. Or rather: Lungs and Ceremonials were so perfect, nothing can top them. But finaly I found a song that is somewhat close to the quality of her previous albums.

''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.'' - Camilla Luddington

^ I used to love Florence! I kind of went off her though when she released Ceremonials and this new album isn't my thing either

Quote Originally Posted by Gitb97 View Post
    ^ I used to love Florence! I kind of went off her though when she released Ceremonials and this new album isn't my thing either
    Something's changed, I can't really explain. Mostly because I don't even know what's different myself. I guess Breath of Life will remain my undefeated favorite song

''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.'' - Camilla Luddington

^ The Bird Song is my favourite by her. I even had to break it down and talk about it for my GCSEs when I was in school when I was doing my literature course, very fun to get into the mind of the song!

I heard this in a restaurant the other night and found it enjoyable. I'd heard a couple of her songs years ago and forgotten about her, but as soon as I heard her voice over the speakers the other night she popped right back into mind. Such a distinctive and pretty voice. I didn't even need to Shazam the song to find out who it was, tho I did a little bit before it was over just to see if I was right.

Jem - "It's Amazing"
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Cool

Back in action after a long absence, and with a nick I had to alter slightly until the techies get my old Eidos profile migrated to SE. And of course the "tuneage" thread is the first place I landed - go figure.

Still exploring the world for worthy, melodic, guitar-based rock and generally having to leave the aesthetic yawnfest/retchfest that is present-day North America, to get it done...

So I stumble onto this girl group from Japan with a bizarre French-maid-cosplay shtick going on (I'm thinking that after a couple years of touring they're going to be ready to kill whatever manager or producer or PR-wonk came up with that idea,) and this tune - "Thrill" - is the tightest, punchiest, most addictive metal tune I've heard in a long time. Just try to cope with the bizarre yet oddly-fascinating visuals:

This is by far the heaviest tune they've done - their earlier "Maid In Japan" EP is amazing in that there's not a single dud in its eight songs, but those tunes are far more in the "pop-metal" vein than this tune.

Just a couple of days ago they released another vid, "Real Existence," which also tends a little heavier than their EP stuff. So I'm assuming their next release is going to be heavier than the EP, and that is nothing but good. A band to watch, assuming they don't slide into the muck of overproduction:

Ella Henderson - Yours
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by KasigiYaboSama View Post
    Still exploring the world for worthy, melodic, guitar-based rock and generally having to leave the aesthetic yawnfest/retchfest that is present-day North America, to get it done... .
    Getcha some Pelican...

Made in Pittsburgh, still active today.
    signature image

Just a little blast of Rammstein.
    Ham and Eggs - a days work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    signature image

^^^ Ya know I've been in a metal mood as well these last few days. I listened to Judas Priest's "Redeemer Of Souls" yesterday at work and was blown away at how good Rob Halford still sounds in his late 60's. And off of that record, this one's been in the mix on my MP3 player a lot...

Planning on picking up a couple of Soulfly records this weekend. It's been awhile since I've seen what they've been up to.
    signature image

I've not played my Soulfly cd's for some time. Thanks for reminding me about them.

That's my weekend listening sorted out then.
    signature image

^^^ Ah, Linkin Park. That's a "Man, what happened?!" band for me. Those first 2 records were so killer and full of metal goodness... and then 'Minutes To Midnight' and onward came out. I'll give them props for not sticking to what worked and making that not sticking actually work... but geez. I don't want to say they sold out, I'm just not a fan of the direction they took after 'Meteora'.
    signature image

You know those days at work when you're tired of the B.S. that comes with your job and you struggle to find your reason for being there? I always find myself singing this song on those days, which was today for me. It kinda helps.

Last edited by WinterSoldierLTE; 22nd Jul 2015 at 23:57. Reason: typo.
    signature image

Just started getting into Paramore recently. Hayley Williams is IMO the 2nd best female vocalist currently in music right behind Amy Lee.

Not gonna lie, the new Disturbed album, Immortalized, has been pretty disappointing, this is one of the few good songs off of it. It's a shame, too because I loved Ten Thousand Fists (Madden 06, anyone?). Indestructible was pretty good, too.

Fuyuki Tenge is by far my most favorite female singer of them all. Busy lady as she has multiple bands with a somewhat different style.

I'm currently listening to a blast from the past: Yello.

I'd almost forgotten how good they were.
    signature image

Rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomchan View Post
    Fuyuki Tenge is by far my most favorite female singer of them all. Busy lady as she has multiple bands with a somewhat different style.
    Fuki rules!

I think of her as the Japanese equivalent of David Coverdale, Ronnie Dio or Darby Mills. Her vibrato is perfect, her range is phenomenal, and her style is uniquely hers.

'Really lamenting the demise of Genesis-era Light Bringer, now Light Bringer itself, apparently. I never did get the story as to why they axed a phenomenal guitarist (Seiya) and a phenomenal drummer (Satoru) following the Genesis album - 'not sure if anyone got the true story. Though it's a good power metal album in its own right, "Scenes of Infinity" was a pale comparison, and last year's "Monument," though not as horribly overproduced as "Scenes," still did not have the spectacular songwriting that "Genesis" had. You can't gut your rhythm section and expect the band to be the same - the new guys (Jay and Yumi, respectively,) are no slouches, just... not the same, and the songwriting just wasn't anywhere near "Genesis."

On "Genesis" they were nudging into Rush and Dream Theater territory with their syncopation and odd meters - and every one of the songs was unique and memorable. Though "Noah" isn't far behind, "Ark" is one of the greatest rock songs ever committed to a recording medium IMO:

I just learned about her other bands a couple of weeks ago - Carbonic Acid, Unlucky Morpheus and Undead Corporation. Carbonic Acid is the closest in sound to LB, but a little formative; Unlucky Morpheus is confusing and a little disappointing, because their discs sound like anime soundtracks, with lots of annoying "choir" passages; I haven't gotten any Undead Corporation discs, so can't comment on those. I've got Carbonic Acid and Unlucky Morpheus tunes on my 'Net radio station though, right alongside the LB stuff. I hope she can pull together a decent band and hold it together for a good string of albums.

Actually I wish she'd just join Gacharic Spin for good, and churn out eight or ten more Doll$Boxx discs. That's a perfect match because GS has always lacked a good singer and is too heavy on keyboard, Fuki can't seem to find a band, and the Doll$Boxx disc was start-to-finish-excellent and more rockin' than the GS techno groove, despite some noxious "cookie monster vocal processor" and "rap" stuff here and there.

And just don't get me started on Koga Michiko's bass jamming....

Last edited by KasigiYabuSama; 29th Aug 2015 at 04:15.

Heard this song at Hot Topic today while shopping for clothes, love this song:

Ah, I'd forgotten about this thread! Been playing the new Iron Maiden record 'The Book of Souls' the last couple of days. It's ok. I don't wanna say "they're done", but I must admit this album as well as the last 2 just haven't really done anything for me. I'm trying with this one, but I think 'Dance of Death' is the last "new" album of theirs that's all killer no filler.
    signature image

Last edited by Cyberhuman; 15th Oct 2015 at 08:47.

Oliver Koletzki - The Power Of Rausch feat. Nagel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftC98PuFHtE

hulle6.com

Jammin' a lot of the "Meg & Lion" disc from Tsukiko Amano (of "Fatal Frame" fame) lately, especially in the car. Her record company yanked all their vids from YouTube including hers, but someone posted a live clip of "Ningyo" ("Doll") that has crap visual quality but a performance she just nails - just as feisty as the studio version.
    "The ultimate p*ssed-off rock goddess," as someone posted on the original PV before it got taken down.

Yeah, it's been that kinda day...
    Last edited by KasigiYabuSama; 3rd Dec 2015 at 05:31.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast