Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152
Results 1,276 to 1,293 of 1293

Thread: The last film(s) you watched?

Quote Originally Posted by Staticon View Post
    It's been a few years since I played the LD - my old player is a little cantankerous these days, but I have a feeling it had the US release trailer with it.

There wouldn't have been much else - it came on one double-sided, 12" disk in long-play mode.
    Ah, I see.

Tonight, I had the pleasure of watching 'Alien' with a guy from work that is 5 years older than me who'd never heard of it before. Watched it on Blu Ray, which looks very good for a film that has already been re-formatted a few times and is almost 40 years old now, but the sound is a bit unbalanced at times, which I don't remember being an issue with the dvd 2 disc edition released over 10 years ago. I was now and then raising the volume to hear people talk, then lowering the volume when there was yelling so we wouldn't bother the neighbors. And some sound effects seemed to be a little bit louder than I remember from the dvd release as well.

Great flick, tho. As I said, he'd never even heard of it, so the chestburster scene absolutely caught him by surprise and freaked him out. And when they're tracking the chestburster and Bret goes in to the room with the dangling chains and dripping water I heard him say "Jesus man, don't go in there." under his breath. He was absolutely hooked, and it was awesome to watch. The highlight tho was when Parker and Lambert are getting air tanks for the lifeboat, and Ripley is prepping the shuttle and hears the cat, then goes to look for the cat. He literally said: "Oh you stupid *! that cat! Get out of there!". Then of course the end where Sigourney is in her undies and you think as a male: "Alright, here we go..." then it goes right back to what it was.

I think it's maybe the 3rd time I've ever watched that movie with someone who has never seen it, and it is always fun to watch someone discover it for the first time. Such a great movie. And watching it with him reminded me of what shocked me about it: After the facehugger dies, and Cain seems fine, you very briefly think the movie is going a different way where it might deal with the after effects of Ash breaking quarantine procedure. Lot's of arguing and fighting, and maybe even a trial of sorts. More of a dramatic direction instead of more creature feature. It mis-leads for a very quick moment, and in that moment you become relaxed and let your guard down, then it hits the fan again suddenly.

He's coming over to watch 'Aliens' tomorrow night.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    Tonight, I had the pleasure of watching 'Alien'. . . . . .
    . . . . . and is almost 40 years old now
    Wow!

Is it really THAT old?

I remember seeing it when it was new and, yes, it is a superbly mis-leading and shocking plot with excellent effects, lighting and photography. An all-time Cameron classic.

Another couple of films worth watching the audience for when they haven't seen them before are the original 'Jaws' and 'Poltergeist'.

The latter is another of my laser-discs and still sends a shiver up and down my spine at times.

Come to think of it, another fave of mine is 'The Excorcist'. It, too, has some excellent shock moments that make first-timers jump.
    Ham and Eggs - a days work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    signature image

^^^ It is, yeah. 'Alien' came out in 1979, and 'Aliens' (which was the James Cameron one) was I believe 1986, but I could be wrong on that.

I must admit it's been years since I've seen the original 'Poltergeist'. I mainly remember the tv, the clown, and that friggin' tree which absolutely terrified me as a kid. I grew up out in the country, and there were loads of old dead trees around so it really made an impact on me. I have been wanting to see it again, especially since it's been re-made, but just haven't got around to actually picking it up yet.

Still to this day I don't think I've actually seen 'The Exorcist'. I know of it, and know quite a bit about what happens in it but I just can't remember actually seeing it. I have the same problem with the original 'Nightmare On Elm Street'. No clue if I've seen it, but man I know a lot of the stuff that happens in it.

So last night was 'Aliens', and both myself and my co-worker really got in to it. It'd been awhile since I'd seen it and I didn't forget anything about it, but I think I was a bit un-jaded to it. It was freakin' awesome. Hicks and Hudson were so cool, and Vasquez is still one of the most badass chicks I've seen in a sci-fi movie. My co-worker was actually in the Army for a few years, so he absolutely loved the Space Marines. Before they landed on the planet he kept trying to pick out who was going to die by the logic of: "Well, we always made the smart asses go first, so I bet it's him" talking about Hudson. He was pretty surprised Bill Paxton lived as long as he did in it for some reason. He's coming over again this weekend for 'Alien 3', and I've been showing him the Director's Cuts of the films so far. Honestly not sure which version to show him of '3'. They're both equally disappointing. Still good, but not as good as the others.
    signature image

Of course, the first one was Ridley Scott. Doh!

Not sure I'd like to see a re-make of Poltergeist. I'm usually disappointed by re-makes. I can never see the logic of re-making a brilliant film - now, if they re-made bad films there would be room for improvement.

I mainly remember the tv, the clown, and that friggin' tree which absolutely terrified me as a kid.
    Ah yes, classic moments.

There is another film I would recommend for the menace more than shock - it's an old Hammer Horror film called 'The Devil Rides Out'.
    I'ts based on a novel by Dennis Wheatley, a writer who seems to have fallen out of fashion since his death, but he wrote a number of classic occult based novels - plus a few historic novels. A number of his books were turned into films but this one was the best.
    It stars Christopher Lee as the Duke de Richleau. If you ever read Wheatleys description of the duke then take a look at the publicity photos of the author, you will see the Duke.
    I had a little difficulty equating the Duke with Lee at first but have got used to it now - so much so that this has become one of my favourite films of all time.
    signature image

Not sure I'd like to see a re-make of Poltergeist. I'm usually disappointed by re-makes. I can never see the logic of re-making a brilliant film - now, if they re-made bad films there would be room for improvement.
    I saw one preview for the "Poltergeist" re-make and I thought it looked like . It gave the impression of trying too hard. Mainly because there were a lot of frames of the revamped clown.

There is another film I would recommend for the menace more than shock - it's an old Hammer Horror film called 'The Devil Rides Out'.
    I'ts based on a novel by Dennis Wheatley, a writer who seems to have fallen out of fashion since his death, but he wrote a number of classic occult based novels - plus a few historic novels. A number of his books were turned into films but this one was the best.
    It stars Christopher Lee as the Duke de Richleau. If you ever read Wheatleys description of the duke then take a look at the publicity photos of the author, you will see the Duke.
    I had a little difficulty equating the Duke with Lee at first but have got used to it now - so much so that this has become one of my favourite films of all time.
    I've seen a couple of Hammer Horrors and to be honest it's just not my thing. Not sure why. But I will add that to my "films to check out when you've the time" list. Thanks for the suggestion.
    signature image

I've seen a couple of Hammer Horrors and to be honest it's just not my thing. Not sure why. But I will add that to my "films to check out when you've the time" list. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I must admit that a lot of the Hammer Horror films were Kak, but this one is half decent - well acted by some excellent actors.

It does look a little dated now but still a good story.
    signature image

I just got back from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation a couple hours ago. Holy , that movie was f'ing awesome. Theater was packed, and rightfully so. This is arguably the best one yet, even better than Ghost Protocol, and I didn't even think that was possible. It had arguably the best action and character scenes in the entire series. You can tell they went all-out not only in delivering amazing action scenes, but really making the audience feel emotionally-invested in the characters this go around with a very well-executed story.

If this is indeed the last of the series, then it went out with a big. 9/10, possibly 9.5.

Caught "28 Days Later" last night on tv. I hadn't seen it in so long I actually forgot how good it is. It's terrible to watch on a television broadcast tho thanks to the edits made. And I just realized last night that the guy who plays Jim is the Scarecrow in Nolan's 'Batman' films. I forget his name but he's a very good actor.
    signature image

Bit of a double-dip in the 'ol posting, and sorry. Tonight brought on night 3 of my introducing my friend and co-worker to the 'Alien' series. Night 3 obviously means 'Alien 3'. It's pretty hit or miss for 'Alien' fans, tho I have no problems with it. Neighbors were very loud tonight so we watched it with subtitles on to be sure we'd catch everything. There are parts where everyone is speaking so softly it's hard to hear them even without outside noise. Again, it had been awhile since I'd seen it and I never realized how bad the CG is in it. Very early 90's CG. It's very obvious when there is CG and when things are practical. I still dug it tho, even tho it still makes no sense to me why Newt and Hicks were killed off. Just a stupid, stupid decision.

I'd also forgotten how thematically dark and drab it is, which I loved. It's almost on par with the original in terms of it's bleakness. And for his first film David Fincher did a great job. And I mean in terms of the shots, not the wreckage he had to work with. It's very pleasing to look at. And the actors were all very well cast. It's the movie that made me a fan of Charles S. Dutton and I still don't think he's done a better job in a film. He's so good he outshines Sigourney Weaver in a couple of spots IMO.

As for my friend who'd never seen it? I asked him what he thought of it when it was finished, expecting the typical "well, it was... ok" most people offer. He just said: "That's the best one so far!".

'Alien: Resurrection' night is now set for sometime next week...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    I just got back from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation a couple hours ago. Holy , that movie was f'ing awesome. Theater was packed, and rightfully so. This is arguably the best one yet, even better than Ghost Protocol, and I didn't even think that was possible. It had arguably the best action and character scenes in the entire series. You can tell they went all-out not only in delivering amazing action scenes, but really making the audience feel emotionally-invested in the characters this go around with a very well-executed story.

If this is indeed the last of the series, then it went out with a big. 9/10, possibly 9.5.

Thank you. Your score has convinced me to go and view this movie at my local cinema. I can't wait.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Today I've added the Indiana Jones movies to my Blu Ray collection. If you buy the 4 film collection you get a very nice looking package that is near all impossible to take the discs out of without putting loads of fingerprints on the underside of them. It looks great, what with the posters for the films as well as behind the scenes photos on the sleeves for the individual films and whatnot, but who the Hell actually approved it? It's not the most practical casing.

Started off with 'Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom', my personal favorite of the whole series. It's a film that, again much like the 'Alien' films, I hadn't seen in a couple of years and it holds up great. I always buy into the 'Indiana' films despite their over-the-top bits like the escape from a crashing plane via life raft, and Indiana actually tolerating and falling in love with Willie Scott. Up until 'Crystal Skull' it seemed like 'Temple' was the least favorite of a lot of Indiana Jones fans and I honestly don't see why. The jokes are hilarious and the cast is excellent in setting them up and executing them, the story is very solid, and the action bits are fantastic. The mine cart chase is still one of the coolest things I've seen on film, and when Indiana is awoken from "The Black Sleep" and says "Let's get out of here. All of us." meaning he's not leaving without setting the enslaved children free I still get goossebumps. It's such a heroic moment even tho it's just a line delivered with intent.

If this movie came out nowadays I'm sure Willie Scott would be a target of Feminism, and Steven Spielberg would probably be crucified in the press by Feminists for having a female character like her in his movie. I grew up with 3 step sisters and 2 of them were just like her so I don't see it as a black mark, but I can see how some people would. She's not a negative stereotype at all. That character works because she's a person who cares very much about her looks and appearance and then she's in a situation where she's covered in bugs. It's a character that is 100% out of their element for the first time ever and is the only one seemingly uncomfortable with the events and environments she finds herself in. Her first interactions with Indiana are hilarious. They're just such polar opposites.

The sets are freakin' amazing. The sacrificial chamber looks massive and it's really hard to believe it was on a stage, it just looks so real and detailed. The music is great as well. John Williams is the man when it comes to movie scores. The song "Parade Of The Slave Children" is what actually got me interested in watching this movie again as it got stuck in my head a few weeks back and hasn't left since. He's so good creating a score and melody that sticks with you and is simple enough anyone can hum it.

As it's been awhile since I've seen it I can't really compare the Blu Ray version to dvd. It's very clean but I honestly don't remember even the VHS version of it being grainy or anything, though I'm sure it was since it was VHS and most everything on VHS was. The 4 film collection gets you a re-issue of the behind the scenes dvd that was included with the original 3 films dvd collection but again gives you no director's and actors commentary tracks which is a letdown. Again. With films like these and the way they were made I'm sure everyone involved has some great stories to tell about making them.

I first saw this movie when I was maybe 7 years old and I instantly fell in love with it. The title alone was enough to get me interested, but then the content was what it is and I was sold. All these years later and I still enjoyed every second of it. It's aged very well.
    signature image

Just watched Interstellar with a bunch of friends of mine. It's hands down one of the best scientific movies I have ever seen, although it had some 'hollywood flaws'. Meaning they went a little bit too far with the effects and such to keep it appealing for the huge masses.

I tried watching 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' yesterday. I was a huge Trekkie when I was a teen, and of all the Trek films this was the only one I had never seen because I could never find it on video or dvd for some reason. And I'm pretty sure I know why now: It's effin' boring. People talk for an hour and a half, the Enterprise gets loads of glory shots, then Spock does a mind meld with an old satellite. The end. What?! Oh, and Kirk is an arsehole that can't accept he's no longer in charge of the Enterprise and won't be happy until he gets his way, and until he humiliates the new captain a few times. And I paid to see it. Found it in a blu-ray bundle along with 'The Search For Spock' (which is ok) and 'The Undiscovered Country) which is the best Trek film out of the originals). I'll keep those two, the store can have 'The Motion Picture' back. Seriously, how the Hell did that movie do well enough to launch an entire film series? It boggles my mind. And I did make it all the way through it. Barely.
    signature image

love this movie, it's a masterpiece

I saw "Once Upon a Time In the West" for the third (or was it fifth?) time. The music is getting better and better <3

It was actually an accident, my net stopped working for, like, 3 hours @3 AM, and I couldn't sleep...so I remembered couple old , classic movies a friend gave me in 2010 (!) to "educate myself"

I watched The Winter Soldier again, so excited for Civil War!

Heavy Metal (Metal Hurlant) - I liked this one so much when I was a kid, quite trashy by today's standards - but hey, I have rose colored glasses on! Here is a kind of trailer:

Not in the head!

I can handle like 300 style bloody because that's more cinematic. but Ninja Assassin body parts and brain matter flying bloody is gross to me

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152